Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2012 8:05:45 PM EDT
I picked it up from a friend of mine.  I know it's been lightly sporterized (mostly it appears to have just been re-stocked and had the front sight ears ground off), but maybe you guys can give me an idea on how much it's been modified.  I'm looking for a rough estimate of value and what you guys think I should do with it.  Is it worth restoring to non-sporterized status?  What would it be worth if it was?  Overall, I'd say it's in pretty good shape.  

OK, pics:

Barrel labeled R 8-18 with flaming bomb mark:

Proof (inspection?) marks on receiver:

Proof mark on receiver:

Small mark near safety, looks kind of like an eagle head with 275:

Marks on bolt handle (flaming bomb and X):

Receiver markings (serial, model, manufacturer):

Flip up peep sight marked "R" on the back:

Ground off front sight ears and 'ding' on the end of the barrel, does not extend into crown area:

Small mark on bolt release lever (not sure what the part is actually called?)

Overall:

So, what can you guys tell me about it?  This is my first old rifle.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about 17's, but I can tell you the stock has a crack from a improperly spaced tang. That might be your first concern. Surplusrifles has a section on stock care, this is a common problem, go there to find fixes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#2]
M1917 made by Remington in 1918, barrel date of 08-1918.  Most parts appear to be correct R marked.  Rifle may have served in France during war1.

The stock is fubar.  Finding a M1917 stock may be challenging.  You need wood and furniture plus a front sight.  It is very restorable and if done well can be worth north of $500.

Front sight held in place with pin.

Full set of furniture.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Sarco still had the furniture sets a few years ago, I would check there, I restored two Eddystones within the last 5 years. They also have replacement front sights and all the other hardware you'll need, if not sometimes ebay or Numrich. Definatly worth the restoration
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one like that, but the flaming bomb thing is missing.  It has some of the BEST sights of any C&R I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That stock looks like it has putty behind the tang like it's been repaired (and not correctly spaced) before.

Looks like a nice basis for a restoration.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
You may want to check & see if the CMP is still selling replacement stocks for the M1917s.

MLG
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#7]
So the other thread mentioned that 1917s often have mis-matched barrels & receivers.  

My receiver is an Eddystone, but the barrel is not marked; which maker did not mark the barrels?
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The 1917 has 84 parts and up to 40 are marked with E, R or W.

Most saw at least one clean and repair and may have got a new barrel.  Replacement barrels should be marked by manufacturer, date and a eagle proof mark.

The 1917 saw service in several foreign armies.  Canada, New Zealand, England and others, possible a source for a unmarked barrel.  If it's been sporterized it may have been turned down and the marks removed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most saw at least one clean and repair and may have got a new barrel.  Replacement barrels should be marked by manufacturer, date and a eagle proof mark.

The 1917 saw service in several foreign armies.  Canada, New Zealand, England and others, possible a source for a unmarked barrel.  If it's been sporterized it may have been turned down and the marks removed.

Its not sporterized and is all original, but the butstock has a red patch of paint on the left side with black stenciled numbers in it that appear to be "30-06" (well duh - all 1917s are 30-06!)  - any idea who/what country would have done that and why??  I'll check the barrel again for marks but I know there is no "flaming bomb" as pictured above.

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not sporterized and is all original, but the butstock has a red patch of paint on the left side with black stenciled numbers in it that appear to be "30-06" (well duh - all 1917s are 30-06!)  - any idea who/what country would have done that and why??  I'll check the barrel again for marks but I know there is no "flaming bomb" as pictured above.

Great Britain did it when they received them as Lend-Lease during WWII.  Usually it was a red band behind the barrel band but they marked it because it was identical in appearance to the P14 rifles chambered in .303 caliber.  They marked the M1's they received this way as well.  If it still has the red paint on it, don't take it off.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top