Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked C&R deals IN STOCK NOW! (Page 4 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By djryan13:
Update on my 3 $250 K98 rebuilds from J&G... well, I asked them in the comments section if they had any hand select option.. that I would be happy to pay more. They said no, none left are hand select. Then I called to see if at least one could be a cupped buttstock. They said they were all out.

Well, I got 3 ok rifles.. one about same as _DR's but the other two go down hill from there. I got exactly what I ordered so I can't complain... except one of them has a nasty shard crack in buttstock. The ad didn't say anything about cracks so I have sent them a note about that...

I would have been happy leaving it there.. BUT dang, I made the mistake of clicking on the link for the jungle carbine above and started browsing and found this:

"1 x Mauser 98 Bolt Action Rifle, 8x57, German K98K Rebuilt by Yugoslavia, Very Good Bore, Cleaning Rod, C&R, Used. (15_2557xqcR3) = $299.95"

I wish I copied the original posting for it which I can't get back to.. since it was only one and I got it. Basically, it was "better than the rest, cupped buttstock, matching, etc"....

Where did that come from??? I put a note in comments section asking for them to help me understand what happened.  Perhaps it was returned or they found it under a crate. In any case, I hope they don't blow me off. Never had any trouble with J&G before.
View Quote

Yeah they ought to at least take the one back that has the crack.  I got a VZ58 from them once that had a totally rusted bore.
They took it back for a refund, though it took about 2 weeks.  If you are persistent they will deal in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By bsmith918:
No collector value.
View Quote

Correct.  Those are merely Ishapore 2A/2A1 Enfields that have been sporterized by Gibbs Rifle Company to look slightly like a No. 5 Mk. 1 "Jungle Carbine": http://www.gibbsrifle.com/historical_remakes_.html
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
Originally Posted By RogueJSK:

Correct.  Those are merely Ishapore 2A/2A1 Enfields that have been sporterized by Gibbs Rifle Company to look slightly like a No. 5 Mk. 1 "Jungle Carbine": http://www.gibbsrifle.com/historical_remakes_.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No collector value.

I'd still buy for $300, the Lee-Enfields have a slicker bolt than any .308 Remington or Savage in that price range, and 10 rounds to boot.

I wonder if you get a craving for Curry or Tandoori while shooting it though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By _DR:

I'd still buy for $300, the Lee-Enfields have a slicker bolt than any .308 Remington or Savage in that price range, and 10 rounds to boot.

View All Quotes
No collector value.

I could have bought it for a lot less than $300 and passed.  I have no use for bubba job milsurps, but that is just my opinion.  It would have made a decent brush/truck gun for someone though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

2A or 2A1 Enfields in 7.62 hold 12 rounds in the magazine.

And you'd be better off putting that $300 towards a real Ishapore Enfield.  You can find them for $300 or less if you're patient.  Unlike the Gibbs hack jobs, they'll hold their value.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]

And you'd be better off putting that $300 towards a real Ishapore Enfield.  You can find them for $300 or less if you're patient.  Unlike the Gibbs hack jobs, they'll hold their value.
View All Quotes

So nobody ever made a Jungle carbine in .308? (Not talking new manufacture)
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#7]
Correct. The only two authentic "Jungle Carbines", the mass produced British No. 5 Mk. 1 and the experimental Australian No. 6, were both .303 only.

That Gibbs "No. 7" is a fantasy piece.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:59:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#8]
Correct. The only two authentic "Jungle Carbines", the mass produced British No. 5 Mk. 1 and the experimental Australian No. 6, were both .303 only.

That Gibbs "No. 7" is a fantasy piece.
View Quote

Good to know. I am somewhat of a fan of C&R "carbine" type rifles (Which usually end up being as long as today's "Rifles" ).

I will probably pick up a #5 at some point.   I wonder the Aussies made them at their Lithgow factory? I had a FAL built on a Lithgow L1A1 parts kit and was extremely impressed with the quality of the Lithgow parts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:24:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#9]
I will probably pick up a #5 at some point.   I wonder the Aussies made them at their Lithgow factory? I had a FAOL built on a Lithgow L1A1 parts kit and was extremely impressed with the quality of the Lithgow parts.
View Quote

The No. 5 Mk. 1 was only produced at ROF Fazakerley and Birmingham Small Arms, with about 251,000 made from 1944-1947.  Its design was based on a modified No. 4 Enfield.

The Australian No. 6 carbine was produced at Lithgow, but it was just an experimental model.  It was based on a modified No. 1 Enfield.  Only about 200 total trials rifles were ever produced, from very late 1944 through mid-1945.  They are extremely uncommon.  There were two versions of the No. 6, the Mk. 1 and the Mk. 1/1, with around 100 of each type made.  They differ mainly in the type of rear sight.

Mk. 1:

Mk. 1/1

Lithgow had also previously produced in 1944 around 100 of an experimental  "No.1 Intermediate Shortened & Lightened Rifle", which was basically a shortened SMLE.  They're also very uncommon:
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting those.

So I assume for an authentic Lee-Enfield JC, you need to look for Fazakerley or Birmingham markings? would they be in text, or symbols of some sort?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:01:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#11]
So I assume for an authentic Lee-Enfield JC, you need to look for Fazakerley or Birmingham markings? would they be in text, or symbols of some sort?
View Quote

The ROF(F) No. 5s will be marked with the manufacturer, date, and serial on the left side of the receiver:

The manufacturer, date, and serial on the BSA No. 5s will be more crudely marked on the left side of the butt socket:

(M47c is the manufacturer code for BSA.)

Both will have the model number on the left side of the receiver.

Just be careful.  There are various fake No. 5s on the market, mostly made from mocked up No 4 Enfields, or some made from even more poorly mocked up No. 1 Enfields.  http://candrsenal.com/rifle-lee-enfield-no-5-mki/ has some good info on what to look for on an authentic No. 5:

No.5 rifles should be marked as such on the receiver wall.
No.5 rifles were made exclusively at two arsenals: BSA and Fazakerley
No.5 rifles don’t look like No. 1 Mk III rifles.  Also note that no No.5 carbine has a tangent rear sight.  They are all aperture.
No.5 rifles always have hollowed bolt handles and a fuller carved out of the visible right side lug.
No.5 rifles have sights graduated to only 800 yards.
No.5 rifles have additional metal shaved away.  Review the following images for the differences between a No.5 and a No.4.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#12]

The ROF(F) No. 5s will be marked with the manufacturer, date, and serial on the left side of the receiver:
http://www.kirkemmerich.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/F254-No-5-J.C-007.jpg

The manufacturer, date, and serial on the BSA No. 5s will be more crudely marked on the left side of the butt socket:
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/world-firearms/84753d1266643701-no-5-mk1-jungle-carbine-markings-no.5.mk.1-lee-enfield-jungle-carbine.jpg

Just be careful.  There are various fake No. 5s on the market, mostly made from mocked up No 4 Enfields, or some made from even more poorly mocked up No. 1 Enfields.  http://candrsenal.com/rifle-lee-enfield-no-5-mki/ has some good info on what to look for on an authentic No. 5:

No.5 rifles don’t look like No. 1 Mk III rifles.  Also note that no No.5 carbine has a tangent rear sight.  They are all aperture.
No.5 rifles always have hollowed bolt handles and a fuller carved out of the visible right side lug.
No.5 rifles have additional metal shaved away.  Review the following images for the differences between a No.5 and a No.4.

http://candrsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/No4-and-No5-Comparison.png
View All Quotes

http://www.kirkemmerich.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/F254-No-5-J.C-007.jpg

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/world-firearms/84753d1266643701-no-5-mk1-jungle-carbine-markings-no.5.mk.1-lee-enfield-jungle-carbine.jpg

http://candrsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/No4-and-No5-Comparison.png

OK this page is getting printed to a PDF file for reference.  

Thanks for this fantastic info. Your knowledge on these topics is impressive.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah they ought to at least take the one back that has the crack.  I got a VZ58 from them once that had a totally rusted bore.
They took it back for a refund, though it took about 2 weeks.  If you are persistent they will deal in my experience.
View All Quotes
Update on my 3 $250 K98 rebuilds from J&G... well, I asked them in the comments section if they had any hand select option.. that I would be happy to pay more. They said no, none left are hand select. Then I called to see if at least one could be a cupped buttstock. They said they were all out.

Well, I got 3 ok rifles.. one about same as _DR's but the other two go down hill from there. I got exactly what I ordered so I can't complain... except one of them has a nasty shard crack in buttstock. The ad didn't say anything about cracks so I have sent them a note about that...

I would have been happy leaving it there.. BUT dang, I made the mistake of clicking on the link for the jungle carbine above and started browsing and found this:

"1 x Mauser 98 Bolt Action Rifle, 8x57, German K98K Rebuilt by Yugoslavia, Very Good Bore, Cleaning Rod, C&R, Used. (15_2557xqcR3) = $299.95"

I wish I copied the original posting for it which I can't get back to.. since it was only one and I got it. Basically, it was "better than the rest, cupped buttstock, matching, etc"....

Where did that come from??? I put a note in comments section asking for them to help me understand what happened.  Perhaps it was returned or they found it under a crate. In any case, I hope they don't blow me off. Never had any trouble with J&G before.

Talked to J&G. They sent me return label. He said they havent gone through the crates thats why their website changes regularly. I guess that makes sense. Each week they go through a couple. Separate out the best and the duds from everything in between.

He is going to hand pick me one with a better stock and box it with my new order. I now have more than I wanted but worse case, I have another for future project or trade...
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#14]

Talked to J&G. They sent me return label. He said they havent gone through the crates thats why their website changes regularly. I guess that makes sense. Each week they go through a couple. Separate out the best and the duds from everything in between.

He is going to hand pick me one with a better stock and box it with my new order. I now have more than I wanted but worse case, I have another for future project or trade...
View Quote

That's not a bad outcome.  Invariably these things will end up getting more expensive as time passes once supplies dry up.

Sadly, I remember the days of $199 RC German K98 Mausers.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]

That's not a bad outcome.  Invariably these things will end up getting more expensive as time passes once supplies dry up.

View All Quotes

Kicking yourself for not buying a crate?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#16]

View All Quotes

At least on crate. And the ammo. The dirt cheap ammo for them.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:48:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#17]
Speaking of ammo, SG ammo has the M75 brass cased, corrosive Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo for $0.54 a round, and shipping is $12.  I ordered 180 round pack for about $110 shipped to my door.

Does anyone know where to get 8mm stripper clips for a reasonable price? I am going to order one of those reproduction Fallschirmjaeger ammo bandoliers to go with my K98 for when I go hog hunting with it, but need the stripper clips to use it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:47:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#18]
SG ammo has the M75 brass cased, non-corrosive Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo
View Quote

Yugo M75 8mm is corrosive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
SG ammo has the M75 brass cased, non-corrosive Yugo 8mm Mauser ammo

Yep just checked, you are right, I stand corrected.
Oh well, will have to do the soap/hot water/oil routine like I do for my BP musket.
At least they are reloadable brass.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
still looking for a cheap mosin if anyone knows
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By endofdays:
View Quote

Best I can find is $179 with Bayonet

http://www.southernohiogun.com/russian-mn91-30-762x54-1.html
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Berdan primed though, right?.. reloadable with right tools.
When my x54 brass dies, perhaps i will reload berdan cases. I got some M75 at rguns for my Hakim.. when it stops raining, I will run her...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Check the EE periodically, but "cheap" is a relative term.  Mosin prices have increased.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]

When my x54 brass dies, perhaps i will reload berdan cases. I got some M75 at rguns for my Hakim.. when it stops raining, I will run her...
View Quote

Oops yeah, missed that too. That's what happens when I order stuff at 2:00 AM.

Looks like it will be Shoot 'n Clean, and that's it. On the up side, Isn't M75 fairly accurate?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:

Check the EE periodically, but "cheap" is a relative term.  Mosin prices have increased.
View All Quotes

As have all C&R prices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:02:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#26]

View All Quotes

slightly more expensive but a much better deal are the ex-snipers on same from Samco Global for $200-250 (variation in price based on condition). For a few more bucks you will get a mosin that should be more accurate and have a better trigger. Money well spent IMO.

I have bought from Samco several times, slow as hell but GTG

heck, pick up one of their .308 spanish mausers for $170 while you are at it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

slightly more expensive but a much better deal are the ex-snipers on same from Samco Global for $200-250 (variation in price based on condition). For a few more bucks you will get a mosin that should be more accurate and have a better trigger. Money well spent IMO.

View All Quotes

Those spanish mausers suck.  One of the few guns I ever sold.  Took a loss on it, in fact.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#28]
Those spanish mausers suck.  One of the few guns I ever sold.  Took a loss on it, in fact.
View Quote

Those converted M1916s use Mauser 93 actions, too.  Which isn't as strong or safe as Mauser 98 actions.  And when you're firing a cartridge (.308) whose max pressure exceeds that for which the rifle was originally designed (7x57mm), that increases the risk of a catastrophic failure.

Granted, that risk remains very small.  But considered there are so many better options if you want to shoot .308, it's a bit more of a risk than I'm willing to run.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#29]

Those converted M1916s use Mauser 93 actions, too.  Which isn't as strong or safe as Mauser 98 actions.  And when you're firing a cartridge (.308) whose max pressure exceeds that for which the rifle was originally designed (7x57mm), that increases the risk of a catastrophic failure.

Granted, that risk remains very small.  But considered there are so many better options if you want to shoot .308, it's a bit more of a risk than I'm willing to run.
View All Quotes

To each their own, I like mine and there is a detailed testing document floating around showing that the actions are safe (or about as safe as most other old milsurps). I just thought it was worth a mention as Samco is almost the only one carrying these and they are inexpensive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Looks like it will be Shoot 'n Clean, and that's it. On the up side, Isn't M75 fairly accurate?
View All Quotes

Thats the rumor. Money well spent. I plan on saving brass in case I decide to reload brass. I wantes brass for the Hakim which is finicky (another rumor since I havent used yet)...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Yugo refurb Gewehr 98 showed up today.

very thick semi dried cosmoline all over. so bad that the bore is obstructed and opening the bolt leaves stringers of goo as it slides back. Cosmo is bad enough to obscure proof marks and serial numbers. My hands got very dirty just handling it.

stock is black with cosmo

original markings seem scrubbed from what I can tell. On the receiver the manufacture date and original arsenal is gone, big ol' yugo crest in its place.

There is a shiny flattened spot on the barrel just forward of the handguard, like something was ground off. Slightly worrying as there definitely is a small amount of material removed from an area about the size of a peanut.

all serial numbers i found match, but I do not know if they are original or redone later. 5 digit serial with what looks like an S prefix

stock is in good shape except for the cosmo soaked in. EWB marked stock some history there. Sling points on the bottom and bolt disassembly washer.

i hope to degrease it in a few days and will do pics then. We will see what else is under all the crud
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#32]

View Quote

I bought one of those Spanish 1916 Mausers from Samco, actually works great, I use it with reduced recoil Hornady .308.  It's quite accurate with that ammo, and still plenty of velocity for most things I hunt.
I like it because it's only 40", it a bit handier than some of the longer Mausers. The SK scout scope mount is perfect for a red dot and didn't require any permanent modification.

What was wrong with your 1916 ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#33]

View All Quotes

I don't know. I read an article that explained the differences used in measuring CUP back in the day  vs PSI now and it sounded like those fears are exaggerated and there isn't  that much difference between NATO ammo and commercial loads. But I shoot the reduced recoil .308 by Hornady, lower pressures but still plenty of velocity, and have never had a problem. Accurate too.

I like the idea of bringing home meat with a 100 year old rifle. Who knows what that rifle has seen in that time. Maybe even the Spanish Civil war (though not in .308 form).
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#34]

To each their own, I like mine and there is a detailed testing document floating around showing that the actions are safe (or about as safe as most other old milsurps). I just thought it was worth a mention as Samco is almost the only one carrying these and they are inexpensive.
View All Quotes

I like mine as well. I would really like to find a good condition 1916 in the original 7mm to be a companion for my .308 Guardia Civil 1916. They are harder to find. Either very poor bores or too much money.
Maybe I will happen upon a nice one for a good price.  The only gripe I have about my .308 1916 Guardia is that when empty, the magazine follower comes up high enough to keep the bolt from going back in without manually depressing the magazine follower.  I assume this is because the 7x57mm cartridge is longer than the .308 and the conversion did not involve a magazine change.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#35]
Yugo refurb Gewehr 98 showed up today.

very thick semi dried cosmoline all over. so bad that the bore is obstructed and opening the bolt leaves stringers of goo as it slides back. Cosmo is bad enough to obscure proof marks and serial numbers. My hands got very dirty just handling it.
View Quote

I specifically ask them for those. I figure that the more coated with cosmo it is, the better preserved. A lot of times that ends up being true.

Hope yours turns out good!  If you are worried about the flat spot call them with might be willing to exchange it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Wideners has gunsmith special CZ50's with mag for $119 shipped
CZ50 119.95 shipped
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Wideners also has Yugo SKS gunsmith specials for $239.  Anyone going to pick one up?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
Seems okay to me. Getting a '44 is a good score, they're pretty uncommon. The Malaysians used these hard, in a climate that isn't kind to metal things.
View Quote

I ordered one too.
Received an 11/44 marked, wood has no markings that I can see.  Bolt and receiver numbers match, bolt handle is not hollowed out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SirM1Garand:
Wideners also has Yugo SKS gunsmith specials for $239.  Anyone going to pick one up?
View Quote

Wow, tempting!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#41]

Wow, tempting!
View All Quotes

Wow, tempting!

Doesn't seem that cheap for something that doesn't run as is. Especially a Yugo SKS. The one  I had I found to be somewhat of a boat anchor. Didn't run well either and the GL made it heavy as crap.

Just my experience with it. I thought I would like it but I really didn't after a fire it for a few boxes of ammo.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dwcopple:
CZ50 119.95 shipped
View Quote

And gone.  I tried to buy one before this was even posted but couldn't log in.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

View All Quotes
CZ50 119.95 shipped

I tried to get one of those and a Yugo SKS and couldn't log in.  Oh well, there's always next time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#44]

I tried to get one of those and a Yugo SKS and couldn't log in.  Oh well, there's always next time.
View All Quotes
CZ50 119.95 shipped

Apparently not only is the password case sensitive, so is the email address/username.  I was told to use all lower case and it worked.  Just a day too late.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Speaking of Widener's and C&R, someone needs to talk me out of their P38s or I am going to blow $500.

Tell me how crappy and overpriced they are, please. I am serious.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#46]
don't waste your money on a P38.  Seriously, DON'T!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I asked for that. But I am still not convinced.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#49]
They are neat guns.  There are other WWII era handguns that I would buy first, but they are definitely cool.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Wow, tempting!
View All Quotes

Wow, tempting!

Anybody get their Yugo SKS yet?  I didn't order one but am curious how they look.
Page / 13
Tacked C&R deals IN STOCK NOW! (Page 4 of 13)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top