Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2012 3:03:17 PM EDT
i was wondering if there was a Flat Dark Earth spray paint available.  Or another color that someone has found matches well.  i would like to spray my rail system.  I would not mind pulling it off from time to time to clean up and re-paint.  i have a sand blasting cabinet to make short work of it.  Any thoughts?  Any experiences, good or bad with trying this?  I would have it powder coated but I doubt that any of the shops will have that color in a flat finish in powder.  Thanks for the input, guys!

Nik C.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Kyrlon Camo series
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=187852

10-22.  I found this with a google search.  

Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

Thank you!  I'll go check that out as well!  I didn't see that in the other thread.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
earth brown matches Magpul FDE according to the reviews
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

none of those (that I"ve used) are FDE
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

They got OD Green, Black, Brown and a FDE. At least I've been able to get it at my local Ace Hardware.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

They got OD Green, Black, Brown and a FDE. At least I've been able to get it at my local Ace Hardware.

FDE?  I've never seen that one.  In fact, I didn't even see it on the Krylon website
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be swinging by my local Ace Hardware to check availability today.  I always prefer buying local as opposed  to paying for shipping.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I've painted a number of guns.

First, the best results come with phosphating first.  With Parkerizing as a base coat, the Krylon series paints work well.  Without, less well.

Best paint I've ever used I make up myself.

I take hardware store oil-base tractor paint/machine paint and mix it with equal volume of TALCUM {NOT corn starch} Baby Powder and apply with brush, or, to create a disruptive random camoflage pattern, daub it on with torn balled up pieces of paper towel.

After drying, this stuff wears like iron.

To make Olive Drab, mix yellow with a drip of black.  Adjust the green color it causes by increasing black.  Do not use much black.  

Degrease with acetone, dry throughly and apply.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

On this http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=187852 other thread, they are saying that the "Coyote" color is what matches.  Funny their not mentioning the Earth Brown color!  Have you used it yourself?  Are you happy with the results?

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On this http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=187852 other thread, they are saying that the "Coyote" color is what matches.  Funny their not mentioning the Earth Brown color!  Have you used it yourself?  Are you happy with the results?

Not yet...
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

FDE?  I've never seen that one.  In fact, I didn't even see it on the Krylon website

Well, it's not green, it's not black and it's not brown so I'm calling it FDE.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

I've used the Khaki on some bolt guns and its very light.  the sand looks almost "orange".  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

There's a "Sand"? I have Brown, OD Green and Khaki in my garage, but no Sand. Khaki was too dark for what I wanted.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
What are you trying to match? Magpul's fde? Vltor?

The coyote aluminumhyde stuff from brownells is closest to magpuls fde, you can also mix in a small amount of black in normal fde to get close to magpul
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Brownell's Aluma Hyde II in Coyote matches Magpul FDE very well, Earth Brown does not.

Coyote (ETA this IS from a rattle can, not airbrush):

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have krylons khaki on my current rifle and yeah, it is lighter than magpul, but it still looks ok imo
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

"khaki"  is the only other Krylon camo paint I've seen

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

No, Krylon does not make FDE. They make khaki, which is not FDE.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kyrlon Camo series

No, Krylon does not make FDE. They make khaki, which is not FDE.

Everything I just googled in flat dark earth all look like some version of khaki/tan/light brown...

It's seems pretty subjective. I though FDE was actually FDE... go figure. Should be close to black IMHO but that's just me. But at the same time I say paint it to match your surroundings too

There is an AR right in the center
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#21]
That's nice. Khaki is still not FDE though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I did this upper and lower in dark earth AlumahydeII, it's darker than magpul FDE.

Crappy lighting, but the 1911 is done in Coyote AlumahydeII and is a much closer match to magpul FDE but a tad lighter.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#23]
The Aimpoint was refinished using Brownell's Alumahyde II in Coyote.  Its about as close as you can get to magpuls FDE.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm looking to match Troy Industries FDE, FWIW.  Not sure how their color compares to MagPul's.  Anyway, that's what I am looking to match.  
Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

Nik
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Alumahyde II matches Magpul FDE better than Magpul does....    All the MOE stuff seems a touch lighter than the non-MOE FDE items like the CTR stock and the BUIS.  When you see alumahyde next to the Magpul stuff in person, you will need to look hard to see the difference.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I did this upper and lower in dark earth AlumahydeII, it's darker than magpul FDE.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/IMG_2748.jpg

Crappy lighting, but the 1911 is done in Coyote AlumahydeII and is a much closer match to magpul FDE but a tad lighter.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/IMG_2761.jpg

I did the same to a near identical AR build with the coyote and it turned out great.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top