Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 10:30:24 AM EDT
Most of us know by now that Sig is coming out with the new 556 in .223 and either like it or don't.

Would you buy one in .308 though if they made it? There's definitely not alot of choices in todays American market for a modern .308 battle rifle that the Sig wouldn't be welcome. If not really welcome and in demand.

If enough do respond towards wanting one, I'll email Sig the thread showing them the interest and hopefully they'll work towards making something more for us soon enough.

I know I like the new 556 design alot and appreciate the common parts it has with an M4/AR platform, but don't have much need for a .223 and would buy a .308 version in a second.
If they made a .308 version what do you think would be the best mags they could make it common with?

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Swissarms has a prototype 550 type in .308 already, that apparently they are going to build- but it'll be some time before that happens.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Swissarms has a prototype 550 type in .308 already, that apparently they are going to build- but it'll be some time before that happens.

That wouldn't be as open to the American public as an US built rifle would though with the current laws right?
I'd like one just the same, but at what cost is always a question that concerns me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah. Id rather have the .223
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean the Swiss Arms/Brugger and Thomet SAPR?

I'd love to have one, but I think SIG has their hands full with the 556 for now.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn that is nice. I do like the 556 options to use various M4/AR stocks and grips still though like a Falcon Ergo pistol/vertical grip set and a Magpul Precision stock, but the rest of the modularity is great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I would get it, my soon to be Scar H will need a .308 friend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be interested in the 5.56, the .308 I have enough of (for now)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like one, but I'm currently located in California where I couldn't get one. I really need to move to the USA...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd like one, but I'm currently located in California where I couldn't get one. I really need to move to the USA...

That was funny about needing to move to the USA, but I feel for you at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You mean the Swiss Arms/Brugger and Thomet SAPR?

I'd love to have one, but I think SIG has their hands full with the 556 for now.

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/olds442tyguy/f8d39a28.jpg
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/olds442tyguy/d2d7fe7d.jpg
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/olds442tyguy/27dc1a4b.jpg

Damn...

Another gun that I have to have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Regardless of the few that don't there still looks to be quite a few that do.  
Huh, a Sig 556 in .308, now we're talking...

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Wouldn't that make it a SIG 762?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure, I'd buy one, but I reserve the right to whine like a little bitch about how stupid it looks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sure, I'd buy one, but I reserve the right to whine like a little bitch about how stupid it looks.

Of course that's understandable, but as I'm sure like any other Sig firearm it will be the top of quality and you'll get over it. You'll probably forget all about it actually and start to bitch about people bitching about how it looks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course that's understandable, but as I'm sure like any other Sig firearm it will be the top of quality and you'll get over it. You'll probably forget all about it actually and start to bitch about people bitching about how it looks.

That's exactly what I'd expect from someone who buys their firearms to match their evening gowns and high heels, Nancy.

I just wish SOMEBODY would come out with a new .308 autoloader that we could all get behind as the new standard.  The field is still open as far as I'm concerned.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly what I'd expect from someone who buys their firearms to match their evening gowns and high heels, Nancy.

I just wish SOMEBODY would come out with a new .308 autoloader that we could all get behind as the new standard.  The field is still open as far as I'm concerned.  

Who you call Nancy, Mary? I only wear a gown and high heels on special occasions, but yes I do have guns for that. Doesn't everyone?

I would also like someone to come out with a new .308 autoloader that we could all get behind, but just like with the endless FAL vs G3 vs AR10 vs M14 discussions, I don't think it will happen though and in many ways various peoples dislikes turn into different choices for the weapons systems with grips, stocks and accessories of all types turning it into a forward progression. That's a good thing as I see it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]

I'll email Sig the thread showing them the interest and hopefully they'll work towards making something more for us soon enough.

riiiiiiiiight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it just me or does the weld on the receiver on the SAPR look terrible in the bottom picture?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'll email Sig the thread showing them the interest and hopefully they'll work towards making something more for us soon enough.

riiiiiiiiight.

I will have to call them first as I couldn't find a direct email for anyone in SIG US besides there H&R, but I'll talk to them about it though and ask for an email to send the thread to. I'll post back on what they say but I'd like to get some more responses first before doing so.

As for them making it we'll have to see, but I'm glad your looking on the positive side.

Bunn19, no it's not just you. That weld by the mag well is horrible and the receiver is still rough. It's a prototype though, so I guess someone decided to get sloppy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone knows that when the Posleen invade we are going to need a bigger bullet than the .223.  A 7.62 battle rifle that doesn't tend to jam (cough ar10 cough) and weighs under 10 pounds would be very cool.  It would also be nice if they stoped using m14 mags for modern rifles.  Come up with something new and reliable.

However i don't know if you noticed but the Sig542 already comes in 7.62.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I just recieved an email from george harris from SIG stating the following about a sig 308

"The 7.62 is in the mill for future consideration as soon as we get the 556 under way".

so guys they are allready thinking about it, give them a reason to act on the thoughts, get those emails going
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Send emails but it will also help if we support the 556.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I just recieved an email from george harris from SIG stating the following about a sig 308

"The 7.62 is in the mill for future consideration as soon as we get the 556 under way".

so guys they are allready thinking about it, give them a reason to act on the thoughts, get those emails going

That's good to hear. I don't have alot of use for the 556 in .223 as I prefer .308 battlerifles, but I think I will buy one just the same as a good to have around rifle that uses M16 mags and another common caliber.  To have a 556 in.308 will just make it a perfect set.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Only if they didn't modify the U.S. version to look like a pimped-out, uber mall ninja tactical AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Only if they didn't modify the U.S. version to look like a pimped-out, uber mall ninja tactical AR-15.

Ube mall ninja tactical AR-15, whatever you want to call it, I call it more functional and pretty much how I'd set it up if it wasn't anyways. The receiver rail being raised is the only thing I wonder about, but if it's for functionality than I don't care as function is always more important to me than just look. An adjustable LOP collapsible stock with battery compartment for the Aimpoint/Eotech batteries. A rail forend to support a bipod if wanted, vertical grip and accessories. Using one of the most worked over to improve on, most common .223 mags out there. These are points many of us want and I think many others will appreciate as time goes on when they come to a point were that helps them out or saves them money. Why do think all these changes happened with the M4/AR rifles in the first place, because there was need and a desire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Well I'm already in for the 556, so I guess I have to get a .308 version as well.  Oh, and while we're at it, how about a upper/barrel in 6.5 grendal?

Oh, and if they make a .308 version, it needs to be as accurate as my AR10 and as reliable as my FAL.  And it needs to use something other than those unreliable and expensive AR10 mags.  Maybe design it around the HK91 mags, which are cheap, reliable and plentiful.  Also, keep the price under $1,300.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well I'm already in for the 556, so I guess I have to get a .308 version as well.  Oh, and while we're at it, how about a upper/barrel in 6.5 grendal?

Oh, and if they make a .308 version, it needs to be as accurate as my AR10 and as reliable as my FAL.  And it needs to use something other than those unreliable and expensive AR10 mags.  Maybe design it around the HK91 mags, which are cheap, reliable and plentiful.  Also, keep the price under $1,300.

Same here.  I have a 556 on order and I'd be right on board for a .308 version too.  I'll take a design that leans more toward reliabilty though.  More accurate than a FAL would be ideal though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I've never had a 55x rifle so I'm not sure firsthand how accurate and reliable they really are, but there suppose to be very and I doubt being made by Sig they wouldn't be. I also wouldn't mind them building it to use HK91 mags as there some of the best built battlerifle mags out there, but the thing is there not built around a bolt hold open and that's a feature most American's want more than don't. They could use Fal mags, but I think it more likely with as many goverment agencies and people out there using M14's, they'd build it around them.
I'd prefer it most myself, even though the price of M14 mags has gotten better since the damn AWB left, there still higher than others and not in as plentiful supply as say HK91 mags. Since I have an M1A though and plan to buy another, with how many there are out there now in use in various places, I'd rather have the .308 556 version have them in common. If they designed a newer mag with polymer followers and using chrome silicon mag springs that worked in both well rifles, the market would eat them up I think.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd love 0ne if it's is like the 540.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
they already make a gov' issue 308 that sets the standard its called the M1a sage EBR but besides that there is alot of room in the 308 world and I think that sig could make a high end 308 that uses a common mag (I see it being from the M14 even though I would like to see bot last round bolt hold open and  drop free in it) the 308 market is ready for a new gun I think so lets see it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top