Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2008 4:37:31 PM EDT
I picked up my new Mini-14 with a heavy barrel today. My gun dealer had it loaded on his truck to take it to a gun show tomorrow. I harrassed him until he dug it out. Price is $599 plus tax. These new Mini-14s have a heavier barrel. You can see it where the barrel leaves the gas block. This is the Mini I wish Ruger had made years ago.............

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I picked up my new Mini-14 with a heavy barrel today. My gun dealer had it loaded on his truck to take it to a gun show tomorrow. I harrassed him until he dug it out. Price is $599 plus tax. These new Mini-14s have a heavier barrel. You can see it where the barrel leaves the gas block. This is the Mini I wish Ruger had made years ago.............
i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/MiniHB1.jpg
i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/MiniHB2.jpg

I've always been a fan of Mini14s.
Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My new 581 Series GB, shoots just fine.

Good looking rifle.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like they corrected the thing that I never liked the most on the Mini, the front sight.

That looks kinda like a military sight with the dog ears.  I changed out my single blade on my Mini for a military style front sight/flash suppressor.  It didn't necessarily make the gun itself more accurate, but it made me shoot it more accurately.

I would say that the front sight is where a lot of the "inaccurate" claims originate, but people think it's the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would say that the front sight is where a lot of the "inaccurate" claims originate, but people think it's the barrel.

I've had experience with a couple that pattern like a shotgun using a scope, so the front sight isn't the problem with those.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had experience with a couple that pattern like a shotgun using a scope, so the front sight isn't the problem with those.

Maybe your scope mount was the problem.

Seriously though, I went from about 4 inch groups to about 2 inch groups when I changed that front sight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the past issues that Ruger has adressed with the current rifle-
-overall bbl diameter
-bbl whip with thick area added directly in front of the gas block
-front sight attachment not pressed on thin bbl causing bbl flex
-gas block tolerances tightened to reduce uneven clamping on bbl

I realy like these new mini's.I'm still debating on finding an old beater and having it rebarreled or get a new 6.8.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the barrel heavier under the handguards?  What's the weight for the basic rifle these days?  My 1980 series 182 has been nothing but reliable and still pulls bedroom backup duty to my 870 Remington.

Paladin

ETA:too bad Ruger doesn't make a 6.8 SPC chambered Mini!!!

Wow, they do make a 6.8, a mere $894.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 2:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Supposedly all mini's now have the same outside dimensions on the bbl(except target).
All are supposed to be .625 the length of the bbl except for a bump from the gas block to .77 that quickly tapers back down.
The .223 would seem to benefit the most and the 7.62 would still see some improvements from the bump at gas block, closer tolerances of gas block,and front sight.
I've been seeing some people picking the 6.8 up for $600.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of guys with boats are always looking for a good stainless model, does the Hbar come in stainless?
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes..........All Mini-14 Ranch rifles will have the heavy barrel. There are a bunch of the older ones still around though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
This is my $300 Mini.

All I have done to it is replace the front blade sight with a military style front sight/flash suppressor.

This is a group I shot today.  I am not that good with iron sights and I realize this ain't great, but it is not nearly as bad as some say.

Link Posted: 2/17/2008 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats darn good shooting at 100 yards and with open sights. I envy your shooting skills Sir !!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a photo comparing two 580 Series Minis....
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Good looking gun, but then, I always have been a fan of their looks.  Let us know how it shoots,  asap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the mini 14, where can I get cheap mags?  60 bucks a Ruger mag sucks.

Max
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Really?  I haven't been able to find the 6.8s anywhere.

Oh, and I'm curious to find out how this new Mini shoots.  I've been wanting one for a long time, but have been scared off by its reputation for poor accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I haven't been able to find the 6.8s anywhere.

Oh, and I'm curious to find out how this new Mini shoots.  I've been wanting one for a long time, but have been scared off by its reputation for poor accuracy.

Unfortunetely I haven't found any either although I have found out that my local shop is on the distributor list.

Gunblast.com has an interesting article on the 6.8.
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Range report?
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
IMHO all these new refinements except the eared front sight are a step backwards.

The new receiver looks like shit
The gun is now front heavy
The dinky rear sight is not as robust as the old Garand/AR hybrid style
No more bayo lugs on the GB model

Link Posted: 4/30/2008 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is the barrel heavier under the handguards?  What's the weight for the basic rifle these days?  My 1980 series 182 has been nothing but reliable and still pulls bedroom backup duty to my 870 Remington.

Paladin

ETA:too bad Ruger doesn't make a 6.8 SPC chambered Mini!!!

Wow, they do make a 6.8, a mere $894.

My local shop has one significantly cheaper than that, brand new. I'd buy it, but I'm planning on building an AR in 6.8....and then I'll finally own an AR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Looks interesting...they're coming to the party kinda late though.

They should have been building this rifle 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger has gone all out countering the inaccuracy rap:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top