Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2009 5:52:37 PM EDT
To any of you guys / gals looking at the Checkmate QD cans I have a question for you.

Would the option of a stainless tube appeal to you?  At that point the entire can would be stainless.  Weight would be close to 9 ounces.

What other ideas or improvements do you have for the product?

A few new runs are being put together and it would be nice to know what you as the customer would like to see available.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't pay more than $495 MSRP for any .22 suppressor. I just ordered one which disassembles for $400 which is the street price. Mine weighs 8.5 ozs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I just pulled the trigger on a Checkmate QD Tuesday.  While I was at the shop I also fondled a Specter and it just seamed God awful heavy compared to the Checkmate.  If you really want to make an all stainless Checkmate; offer it as a separate product and make it 5.7 rated.  That would be the only reason why I would tolerate the added $$ and weight of an all steel can.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to have a 1.25" steel Checkmate for serious use on an SBR.  The added weight wouldn't be noticed as much on a SBR and with steel, I could just use the bead blaster to clean it.  The added volume would help out sound on the short barrel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what you're doing for the quick mount these days.  The only bitch I have with mine is that it's too loose.  I'm not sure if the spring is too weak, or if the coupling is too sloppy.  Whatever it is, I don't like it.  Improve the mount and I'd take another one...stainless would be even better.

ETA, I just went to your site.  Looks like you've integrated some improvements.  I don't see much mentioned about updates to the QD mount....are there any?  Also, I think the price of the mounts doubled.  I don't remember what I paid for the suppressor, but I'm sure it wasn't $375.  With the stainless upgrades, that seems fair.  But the low price point was the seller for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what you're doing for the quick mount these days.  The only bitch I have with mine is that it's too loose.  I'm not sure if the spring is too weak, or if the coupling is too sloppy.  Whatever it is, I don't like it.  Improve the mount and I'd take another one...stainless would be even better.

ETA, I just went to your site.  Looks like you've integrated some improvements.  I don't see much mentioned about updates to the QD mount....are there any?  Also, I think the price of the mounts doubled.  I don't remember what I paid for the suppressor, but I'm sure it wasn't $375.  With the stainless upgrades, that seems fair.  But the low price point was the seller for me.

The 3 lug mount and rear cap are now stainless.  The baffle stack now has an integrated blast baffle and is also stainless.  I will point out your problem with the mount to green0 for his opinion.  You may have a weak spring.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks like a good can, just please don't put front toward arabs, or front toward anything on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It looks like a good can, just please don't put front toward arabs, or front toward anything on it.

Nothing outside of the engraving required by the BATFE has ever been, or will ever be engraved on the checkmates.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3 lug mount and rear cap are now stainless.  The baffle stack now has an integrated blast baffle and is also stainless.  I will point out your problem with the mount to green0 for his opinion.  You may have a weak spring.

Cool.  Maybe your updates would cure my concern. Basically what is happening is that once attached, you can move the suppressor around just by pressing on it.  In a previous thread, greeno made it sound like this is normal.  His advice is not to shoot it with the suppressor resting on anything.  For the plinking I do, that's fine.  However, I just wish it was mounted more solidly and this wasn't the case.  I use this on a SBR as well.  My conserns are more when using it on the rifle...using sandbags or rest always makes me look at things a little more before pulling the trigger.  It is the only suppressor I own that is loose when mounted.  Everything else, quick release three-lug or not, is solid once on the platform.  Like I said, I like the suppressor.  The sound reduction performance is sweet.   Subsonic rounds are very impressive.  I think all stainless would be the best.  It's such a small suppressor that the weight gain would not concern me.  I just want one that is QD but solid once attached.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I never said it was wobbling on its own.  The movement I get is from direct pressure on the can itself...like me pushing lightly, or the weight of the gun as the butt is on the ground and the suppressor is resting on the wall.  I does not effect performance.  I just don't like the fact that I can move it.  I haven't measured it, but I would have to say the end of the suppressor will move 1/8" off center in all directions.  I really think I'd blow the end cap off if I were to shoot it while it was off center.  

I have a SWR Trident 3-lug QD as well.  It has a very very small amount of play.  It doesn't concern me at all.   I went with your QD because I use this on mulitple platforms.  Two of which have a SD look where the barrel shroud covers the end of the barrel.  I wanted the QD so I could always have the threads protected (PITA to take on/off with the shroud in place).  

I hope you don't think I'm bashing your product here.  You wanted user feedback and that is what I am giving.  I really think stainless is the way to go.  Like I said earlier, your suppressor performs great.  I just think a suppressor should be solidly mounted (Nielsen device and all).  What concerns me is blowing it up if I were using a wall, post, sandbag, or some kind of support that came in contact with the suppressor.  Oh, and I think you're right about going with tighter tolerences.  The carbon build up is already noticable in the "loose" design.  It became gritty fast.  It would most likely end up frozen on the platform.

Maybe I just need a new spring.  I'm sure the new spring would make it harder to move.  Still, I think that movement is going to be there...new spring or not.

Edited for grammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top