Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2011 4:17:05 AM EDT
Ok so I am looking at getting a suppressor when I go stateside. I don't want the gun to be as long as a Mosin Nagant so I will be using an SBR for this to keep the length down. I have decided on these two set-ups, now I just have to pick one:

Set-up A:
-Noveske 12.5" N4 Light GPR Switchblock upper
-AAC M.I.T.E.R. suppressor mount
-AAC SPR/M4 reflex suppressor
***Notes: I feel this will be a longer and heavier setup but both the longer barrel combined and the reflex SPR/M4 can will offer better performance as far as velocity and sound suppression and will be worth the extra inches and ounces.

Set-up B:
-Noveske 10.5" N4 Light Shorty lo-pro Switchblock upper
-SureFire brake or flash hider (not sure which one yet)
-SureFire FA556-212A suppressor
***As short as I'm willing to go, but I like the looks of this setup and the size/handyness, and as a plus I will be able to use the SureFire 212A on my Noveske 14.5 which already has a pinned SureFire flash hider.

Tell me the pros and cons of each set-up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 4:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 10.5 Noveske build and love the weight and balance. I dont have a surefire suppressor but I do have a Innovative Arms grunt suppressor. Its going to be a little louder than a 12.5 but the looks of a suppressed 10.5 are hard to beat.

video
VIDEO ABOVE
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome setup you got there, I agree the suppressed 10.5 looks great. Another thing, I have had a great experience multiple time with SureFire's customer service regarding their flishlights, does the same apply to their suppressors?
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I vote for option B. I like the 10.5-11.5" barrels. I think the reflex design would be wasted as an SBR is going to be loud no matter which can you hang off the front. You may as well put other features higher on the priority list than dB reduction. The Surefire is a great can and being able to use an existing mount on another rifle of yours is a plus. I would also suggest the AAC M4-2000. The mount is solid and the can is a known performer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 10.5", 11.5" & 12.5" - of the three the 12.5" gets used the most.  Generally I use it for bunny shooting, 3 gun & manual of arms drills.  

I love the handling of my 10.5" but the velocity gain of the 12.5" & additional powder burn before uncorking is a plus for me.  Translates to longer suppressor life (less wear) & lower sound signature when fired.

As far as the reflex - I'd do an Ops Inc 12th over the AAC SPR.  If you ever go with a rifle length or carbine length barrel the Ops Inc is a great can for use on those also.... As stated by others before me - if the can is only for an SBR.... going with a shorter/lighter can is a good idea for an SBR.

Hope this helps =)
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I vote for option B. I like the 10.5-11.5" barrels. I think the reflex design would be wasted as an SBR is going to be loud no matter which can you hang off the front. You may as well put other features higher on the priority list than dB reduction. The Surefire is a great can and being able to use an existing mount on another rifle of yours is a plus. I would also suggest the AAC M4-2000. The mount is solid and the can is a known performer.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear as I was leaning a bit towards the SureFire set-up, because of their reputation for low POI shift. I value that more than dB reduction. My reasoning for the AAC SPR/M4 is that I read if you have the space for a reflex can they are better than end-mount (came from a thread regarding M4-2000 vs SPR/M4, the general consensus that the SPR/M4 should be used anywhere it fits and M4-2K only when the reflex can won't fit). I'm also not interested in the M4-2000 at this time.

Quoted:
I have 10.5", 11.5" & 12.5" - of the three the 12.5" gets used the most.  Generally I use it for bunny shooting, 3 gun & manual of arms drills.  

I love the handling of my 10.5" but the velocity gain of the 12.5" & additional powder burn before uncorking is a plus for me.  Translates to longer suppressor life (less wear) & lower sound signature when fired.

As far as the reflex - I'd do an Ops Inc 12th over the AAC SPR.  If you ever go with a rifle length or carbine length barrel the Ops Inc is a great can for use on those also.... As stated by others before me - if the can is only for an SBR.... going with a shorter/lighter can is a good idea for an SBR.

Hope this helps =)

Great, more stuff to think about. I may have to actually handle both now in person to see which one actually feels better. The velocity gain of the 12.5 was what I was interested in and I felt that with the reflex can it would keep the length down AND make it quieter.  BTW JohnStoner, are you using the same suppressor on your 10.5 and your 12.5? Or are they different suppressor? Thanks.

Does anyone own both a 10.5 w/ end-mount can AND a 12.5 with a reflex can that can tell me how noticeable the difference is to them in handling and sound? I'm not looking for hollywood ninja quiet but something hearing-safe (relatively speaking). I'd like the overall length w/ suppressor to be under 16 inches.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, here is a pic of what the 12.5" switchblock upper w/ SPR/M4 looks like: http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AAC/IMG_0440-1024-Stick.jpg

And here is the 10.5" switchblock w/ M4/2000 (will look similar with the SureFire 212A): http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Noveske/STCK0522-1024-Stick.jpg

I'm not hotlinking the images without permission from StickMan but there they are if anyone wants a looksee.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
This is more for the OMG AWESOME factor, but I still want to do it:

8in 300BLK
Rifle length JP VTAC
Ops Inc 12th 30cal suppressor
Les Baer upper with no forward assist
gas buster
sights of choice

The Ops suppressor adds 8.5in past the muzzle, so 8.5in + 8in barrel is 16.5in, and with the 13in hand guard it would look like pure sex.  OD of the can is 1.5in, ID of the hand guard is 1.75in.

Probably the quietest setup for a 30 cal SBR.

DO IT!
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I vote for the 12.5". I own a Surefire FA556AR so I have nothing against the Surefire, but the 10.5", though sexy is gonna beat up the can faster and it barely has enough oomph for reliable fragmentation at the muzzle. The 12.5" would be MUCH more versatile. My HD carbine is an 11.5" with the previously mentioned Surfire can. It's plenty short and handy for the purpose but I actually plan on going to a 12.5" barrel because the reflex can needed an extended mount that gave me an extra inch anyway, might as well be barrel.

A few thoughts:

The reflex cans have less blowback.
Surefire mounts allow for what is probably the smallest POI shift in the industry.
You WILL want to mount the can to other rifles.

ETA: pron

This is a previous configuration but hopefully it will give a good length comparison. Top is a 16" carbine, bottom is the same 11.5" with the extended mount for the can.

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I went with a 12.5" barrel and Ops 16th model...I shot both the 16th model and the AAC SPR/M4 side by side and I liked the tone of the 16th model better.  I also had less blowback with the Ops can, ymmv.

I chose 12.5 because of the increased muzzle velocity and burn time with the powder, I've heard of a couple cans with short (10.5) barrels get endcap nicks from rounds exiting too slowly...I chose a CM/V barrel because I have no need for the SS of the noveske, and the DD was way cheaper....

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll try to give you my experiences and help you make the best decision for yourself...I was pretty set on a reflex can and it's tough figuring out if rails and gas blocks will fit with a can that goes back over the barrel and an SBR...

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies, very informative. I really hate to bring up SureFire vs AAC because I know they both make quality suppressors so i won't even go there, but for the reflex can I was going to go with the SPR/M4 because of lower price but I think I will go with a SureFire, although I don't want a SureFire reflex can because I already have a K mount on my Noveske 14.5 lo-pro so I would like to be able to swap the suppressor between the future SBR and my current Noveske.

So will a FA556-212A add more length to a 12.5" upper than the same upper with an SPR/M4? The SPR/M4 adds 4.9 inches according to AAC's site but I can't find the length added on SureFire's site for the 212A. If it's the same length then it looks like I found my set-up, 12.5" switchblock upper w/ SF 212A. And it will be a little bit lighter than the SPR/M4. I also anticipate less blowback through the use of the suppressed setting on the switchblock, I'm sure switchblock + reflex can would be very comfortable. So I decided now to go with the 12.5 over the 10.5 because of velocity concerns I had which have been validated here but now I need to decide what SureFire can to get, end-mount or reflex. Still on the fence!

Also, the fact that I have a SureFire flash hider on my current Noveske may play a part in my decision to get the end-mount can but I'm also really close to having that rifle sent off to have a BattleComp 1.5 permed so if that happens the bonus benefit of the 212A won't matter.

ETA: Fuck it I may as well get the FA556AR reflex can and a Noveske 12.5" switchblock upper. Anyone agree with this setup?

Great discussion by the way, I like hearing everyone's differeing views/experiences.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Great, more stuff to think about. I may have to actually handle both now in person to see which one actually feels better. The velocity gain of the 12.5 was what I was interested in and I felt that with the reflex can it would keep the length down AND make it quieter. BTW JohnStoner, are you using the same suppressor on your 10.5 and your 12.5? Or are they different suppressor? Thanks.

I use the same suppressors on my 10.5", 11.5" & 12.5".  I use the Gemtech line as they are all backwards/forwards compatible. I really like the attachment method.
I've used the following all 3 rifles:
G5 (SS)
G5-t (titanium G5)
HVT (SS)
Quicksand (titanium HVT)

I like the sound of the Quicksand the most as it has a greater volume (lower tone to my ear) & is much lighter than the HVT (apx 18oz vs apx 30oz - I haven't weighed them in a while)

My response about the reflex can - I don't have one but really would like to get one.  I'm not sure if I'll get the Ops 12th or 16th yet. My intent was an 18" SPRish rifle. I don't think you can go wrong with a Surefire can... I usually steer away from them due to cost.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think you can go wrong with a Surefire can... I usually steer away from them due to cost.

Same here.....until I realized I'm stuck with the suppressor for life so I want the best, and they same to have a good reputation about POI shift (or lack of). I'm also buying a KAC NT4 for an SR-15E3 w/ TT as well as for some Mk18 builds so I got the KAC can mess sorted out. Just stuck on this Noveske SBR thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I vote 12.5 with spr-m4 for the reasons above, but mainly velocity drop is alot less from 14.5 to 12.5" compaired to 10.5". Not to mention better suppressor life. I run a PWS 12.5 with spr-m4 on a miter brake mount and love it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Velocity never really mattered much to me, How far do you plan to engage targets? I can hit out to 300m with a T1 with my suppressed 10,5. If you purchase a 12.5 "which I did" you will always want the 10.5.....just something to think about
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote for option B
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#16]
For your consideration:

12.5" with Ops 15th:

7.5" with Ops 15th:

and just for fun, 7.5" with Ops M4S:

Of all of them, the 12.5" is the most useful over the broadest range for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, been away for a couple days.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 4:40:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For your consideration:

12.5" with Ops 15th:
http://www.johnnyego.com/firearms/ars/morears2/ubrgna4a.jpg
http://www.johnnyego.com/firearms/ars/morears2/ubrgna6a.jpg

7.5" with Ops 15th:
http://www.johnnyego.com/firearms/ars/morears2/vtaca.jpg

and just for fun, 7.5" with Ops M4S:
http://www.johnnyego.com/firearms/ars/morears2/vtac02a.JPG

Of all of them, the 12.5" is the most useful over the broadest range for me.

Oh man, sweet pics...I especially like the 7.5" with the 15th...man is that a freakin' nice setup!
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I love that M4S with the 7.5" barrel setup!

Makes me want to do another 556 upper just for the M4S and 16th Model.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#20]
The only reflex cans I would consider for an AR would be OPS, primarily the 16th and 14th.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Velocity never really mattered much to me, How far do you plan to engage targets? I can hit out to 300m with a T1 with my suppressed 10,5. If you purchase a 12.5 "which I did" you will always want the 10.5.....just something to think about

The concern isn't whether you can hit a target at 300m with the lower velocity from the 10.5", but whether you will get reliable fragmentation if you have to shoot someone across the street. While there are a lot of factors involved, especially bullet weight and construction, 10.5" barrels tend not to have very good terminal effect any further away than inside the same room. That extra 2" buys you as much as 100m of fragmentation range.

As for wanting one if you get the other, that's probably going to be the case no matter what you get. That's the nature of man. As I mentioned, I went 11.5" and now I want a 12.5".
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Use 62gr Federal Tactical Bonded. Problem solved. For a general purpose weapon I like the 12.5, for a house gun I would put a 3-5" can on a 10-11.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Use 62gr Federal Tactical Bonded. Problem solved. For a general purpose weapon I like the 12.5, for a house gun I would put a 3-5" can on a 10-11.5" barrel.

I think this is important to note. Fragmentation is for ball ammo and thats not what I want to engage targets with.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Regarding the reflex suppressors, I'm looking at SureFire's FA556AR as well as AAC's SPR/M4. My understanding is that with the SPR/M4 and the corresponding M.I.T.E.R. mount the user lines up a number on the suppressor to choose the preferred POI shift. On the SureFire however, they have a reputation for negligible POI shift and therefore you simply mount the can without any further input.

Is it a hassle to remember what number to use when mounting the SPR/M4? Is it worth it to go with the SureFire for the simplicity? The SureFire is a few hundred dollars more than the AACs from what I see online. What are you opinions? Price isn't a concern since these are both expensive items and will be life long purchases.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I vote option B with an AAC M4-2000.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Regarding the reflex suppressors, I'm looking at SureFire's FA556AR as well as AAC's SPR/M4. My understanding is that with the SPR/M4 and the corresponding M.I.T.E.R. mount the user lines up a number on the suppressor to choose the preferred POI shift. On the SureFire however, they have a reputation for negligible POI shift and therefore you simply mount the can without any further input.

Is it a hassle to remember what number to use when mounting the SPR/M4? Is it worth it to go with the SureFire for the simplicity? The SureFire is a few hundred dollars more than the AACs from what I see online. What are you opinions? Price isn't a concern since these are both expensive items and will be life long purchases.

The FA556AR is about to be discontinued. I have one but my preference would be to have a muzzle mounted Surefire. The mount selection is better.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The FA556AR is about to be discontinued. I have one but my preference would be to have a muzzle mounted Surefire. The mount selection is better.

I agree with this which is why I'm still leaning towards the 10.5/212A combo despite the reduced blowback and velocity benefits of the 12.5/reflex can setup. I have a 14.5 and 16-inch AR right now to take care of longer ranges. I expect to put a 2-3000 rounds through the SBR per year so I don't expect major suppressor wear on a 10.5" barrel so that's not a concern for me.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#28]
You ought to consider a 12.5 with a muzzle mount can so you have more rail to hang on to.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You ought to consider a 12.5 with a muzzle mount can so you have more rail to hang on to.

I have considered a 12.5" with end-mount SureFire 212A can. Is this a versatile set-up? It would be slightly longer than a 12.5/reflex can setup but I would be able to use the end-mount suppressor on other rifles.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#30]
It's only fractionally longer, really. Shorter if you get the Mini. It's what I would do.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#31]
After much research I when with a 12.5" for my SBR, (I had the intention of going with a SPRM4). I ended up getting a .308 can instead...anyway happy with the 12.5" and still working my way to the reflex 5.56 can.

I vote 12.5".
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#32]
12.5 is the way to go . Option A.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Go with a 10.5" with KAC NT4!

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:12:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I think I'm going with the FA556-212A and a 12.5" switchblock upper.

Nice MK18 MOD 0 clones by the way!
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think I'm going with the FA556-212A and a 12.5" switchblock upper.

Nice MK18 MOD 0 clones by the way!

I would get OPS before Surefire. More options by far.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't like any reflex cans...   the mounts are generally more expensive and you have less options with barrel lengths.

PLUS, the 5.56 round even suppressed is damn loud and you won't notice a few dB difference here and there.

I think the 12.5" is an awesome all around bbl length.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I love my 12.5" with M4-2000.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Hear is mine
LMT upper
Spikes Lower
Gem-tech g5

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#40]

So that is a 9" Troy TRX with a 12.5" barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top