Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
So I guess they're pretty new then?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh.

I really wanted one at first. But then I decided to go Piston. Then after that, I didn't like the weight. So I decided to go DI with an adjustable gas block to reduce blow back.

Taking the Saker 7.62 route.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking these might work pretty well on an AK.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've handled them.  Lots of machining, lots of channels, no baffles.  It's not very quiet but the mission for that suppressor is zero back pressure.  I don't like how unsuppressed shooting means only taking off the tube, leaving the weight of the guts on the end of the rifle as well as exposing all the intricate machining to damage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've handled them.  Lots of machining, lots of channels, no baffles.  It's not very quiet but the mission for that suppressor is zero back pressure.  I don't like how unsuppressed shooting means only taking off the tube, leaving the weight of the guts on the end of the rifle as well as exposing all the intricate machining to damage.
View Quote

Yeah, try feeling good about slamming that gizmo through a hole you just shot in a windshield.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#8]
OSS makes something unique and different. The decibel reading at the shooters ear is 134.  Many manufacturers use the 1 meter from the muzzle standard, and some just pick whatever they think works well.   I've been up close and personal with the OSS team and their cans. They are ever bit as quiet as many leading cans.

Their can is so different its almost not fair to call it a suppressor. It accomplishes the same end, meaning it makes the boom quite and hearing safe etc; but the way it accomplishes this is vastly different than most suppressors.  A super charger, and turbo might both make a car faster, but that doesn't mean they should be compared to each other. They don't have any back-pressure issues, no adjustable gas block is needed, they don't heat up excessively, they don't change felt recoil, and they don't really change velocity.  

Fantastic cans for sure:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
When the store finally gets my stamp I will let you know.
I purchased mine back in April.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#10]
The measurement they give is not only at the ear, but done in a small hard walled room.  As such, there is not much to relate their numbers to since no one using industry standards does that.

They may be fantastic at zero back pressure, but you get the cons of the extra weight and the exposed intricate guts (when the tube is removed) at the end of your rifle, not to mention only 18dB of sound reduction in the modules IIRC.

Fantastic at what it does and what other cans don't do, but falls short for much else.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The measurement they give is not only at the ear, but done in a small hard walled room.  As such, there is not much to relate their numbers to since no one using industry standards does that.  

They may be fantastic at zero back pressure, but you get the cons of the extra weight and the exposed intricate guts (when the tube is removed) at the end of your rifle, not to mention only 18dB of sound reduction in the modules IIRC.

Fantastic at what it does and what other cans don't do, but falls short for much else.

View Quote

I am curious as to the source of the dB reduction information.
If OSS is claiming 130's I would say its quite a bit more than 18. Unless they are not getting it as low as they claim?

It seems there is a lot of second hand information floating around regarding this product. Has anyone here actually FIRED a weapon with one attached?
I am hoping to be able to pick mine up soon and provide some first hand feedback.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, this video DOES show very minimal blowback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8UejL6kF00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpnv5yOx8-Y

This video shows the same gun being run with no device, and the full OSS getup. I saw no change in ejection pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVn7gMKWM88

You can clearly see a lack of back-wash gas from the bore, which happens in piston/DI/any kind of suppressed rifle. It is largely absent with the OSS product. That can't be "gamed". If there is back-pressure on the bore, there will be smoke coming out of the chamber. No amount of port-size reduction or piston shenanigans will prevent it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a good video of one of the company executives describing the product at SHOT. Not sure if it's one of the ones linked above, but it's worth finding on YouTube if you're interested in the products.

Basically, I wasn't impressed.  They have come up with a fancy way of doing what every other silencer manufacturer has known for years: the better your silencer at reducing sound, the worse it is at increasing backpressure. So if you want a silencer with minimal backpressure, make it a crappy silencer. They are very proud that their design creates minimal backpressure, but then they admit than the standard module is still like 145dB.  If you want additional suppression, you add the second module, which he says brings it into the high 130's.  So with both modules, it's still louder than a Saker/M42k/Specwar, but costs an extra few hundred bucks, is more complicated, etc. The only positive is that the backpressure is somewhat lower, but any manufacturer could do that easily if they were willing to make their 5.56 cans 18" long like these are.  Look at the AAC SPR/M4, that also had lower backpressure, was substantially quieter than the OSS, smaller tan the OSS, and still cost less when it was being made.

Pretty much I see no real reason to buy one of these.  The only conceivable reason is if you're fanatic about low backpressure and don't give a damn about weight, size, sound performance, complexity, or cost.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The weight is only about an oz more than say a Saker.  So its not that big of a deal. Its really not a heavy can.  In fact, in many setups I felt like it helped with the balance of the weight. A 14.5" gun running a can an 18 oz can on the end of the muzzle sure feels a lot more front heavy than a 14.5" running the OSS.  This is because of how the weight is distributed. A lot of the weight with OSS cans is behind the muzzle, which helps keep everything in balance.  

Its not an ideal can for fast attach on and off of the rifle.  The FHMB is large, and you have to thread the can onto it and "time" it.  But I really like how service-able and modular the FHMB is. No baffle strikes, no permanently damaged insides ever! I also dig how its not a NFA item.  

To many, the lack of fast attach onto a brake or FH is a moot point.  There are many that leave their cans on their rifles almost always.  I know a few personally who only take the can off to clean the muzzle brake in order to stop the can from "seizing" to the brake over time... which is also a non issue with OSS BTW.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this yours?

Please tell me you can provide first hand feedback.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this yours?

Please tell me you can provide first hand feedback.
View Quote

I work very closely with OSS. IM me and I'll fill you in with more details.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The weight is only about an oz more than say a Saker.  So its not that big of a deal. Its really not a heavy can.  In fact, in many setups I felt like it helped with the balance of the weight. A 14.5" gun running a can an 18 oz can on the end of the muzzle sure feels a lot more front heavy than a 14.5" running the OSS.  This is because of how the weight is distributed. A lot of the weight with OSS cans is behind the muzzle, which helps keep everything in balance.  

Its not an ideal can for fast attach on and off of the rifle.  The FHMB is large, and you have to thread the can onto it and "time" it.  But I really like how service-able and modular the FHMB is. No baffle strikes, no permanently damaged insides ever! I also dig how its not a NFA item.  

To many, the lack of fast attach onto a brake or FH is a moot point.  There are many that leave their cans on their rifles almost always.  I know a few personally who only take the can off to clean the muzzle brake in order to stop the can from "seizing" to the brake over time... which is also a non issue with OSS BTW.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15184434267_9269757a70_h.jpg
View Quote

If it suppresses noise,how is it not an NFA taxed item?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15184434267_9269757a70_h.jpg

The FHMB is not.  The outer "can" portion is. You can purchase the "guts" time and time again, and switch them out for other calibers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If OSS is claiming 130's I would say its quite a bit more than 18. Unless they are not getting it as low as they claim?
It seems there is a lot of second hand information floating around regarding this product. Has anyone here actually FIRED a weapon with one attached?

I am hoping to be able to pick mine up soon and provide some first hand feedback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem, you can't relate to any numbers they give as they have no relation to anyone else's numbers because they don't  test the same way using industry/milspec standards.  Complete apples and oranges.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm local to them and although I don't know them I've handled their product over the years at gun shows and also about 2 weeks ago I played with one at a local event. I'm still not that impressed. The outer can feels flimsy and it doesn't screw tight to align the "octawhatever" sides. If you tighten it all the way down it wasn't straight with the part that doesn't supress. The finish isn't really that nice for a $1300 can and this one was all chipped around the edges. The other part is the flash hider/guts of the thing. $300+ for every one if you want to have others for additional rifles. IMO it seems like a big, very expensive, heavy, long, not as quiet thread on supressor. The less back pressure thing is kind of cool but not for the price.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OSS makes something unique and different. The decibel reading at the shooters ear is 134.  Many manufacturers use the 1 meter from the muzzle standard, and some just pick whatever they think works well.   I've been up close and personal with the OSS team and their cans. They are ever bit as quiet as many leading cans.

Their can is so different its almost not fair to call it a suppressor. It accomplishes the same end, meaning it makes the boom quite and hearing safe etc; but the way it accomplishes this is vastly different than most suppressors.  A super charger, and turbo might both make a car faster, but that doesn't mean they should be compared to each other. They don't have any back-pressure issues, no adjustable gas block is needed, they don't heat up excessively, they don't change felt recoil, and they don't really change velocity.  

Fantastic cans for sure:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/14897715288_cf1f83d401_b.jpg

View Quote

givin a dB reading at the ear is useless. gives no baseline or reference. See, it it's 134 dB with 22 short out of a 20" barrel bolt action, I'm not real impressed.  If it was a 10" .308 semi-auto, that's something different.

What was the dB level unsupressed?   saying 134 dB tells us nothing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

130 dB, not 130 dB reduction.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ Understood. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top