Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Forgive the dumb question. Im planning on getting a suppressor soon, don't have any first hand experience.

For the posts with high round counts do you guys clean the suppressors at all or are these just straight round counts no cleaning.
If you are cleaning them what intervals are you doing it, and what methods.
In particular I'm planning on getting a RC2, but just in general cases also.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone here most likely has already posted this, but I wasn't willing to sort through everything to look.  Here is the CGS Helios QD blast baffle before I shot it.  Not sure how many rounds CGS put through it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AWZ1287:
Forgive the dumb question. Im planning on getting a suppressor soon, don't have any first hand experience.

For the posts with high round counts do you guys clean the suppressors at all or are these just straight round counts no cleaning.
If you are cleaning them what intervals are you doing it, and what methods.
In particular I'm planning on getting a RC2, but just in general cases also.
View Quote

If you are using solid base bullets for centerfire the crud is mostly carbon.  Open base bullets (most FMJ) will result in lead build up as well, condensed from lead vapor mixed with carbon.  

It’s a good idea to weigh a virgin can.  When it gains an ounce or two of build-up a little periodic cleaning extends life and keeps weight down. For carbon-deposits-only the use of solvents/cleaners such as Sea Foam, CLR descaler, Berries carb cleaner, etc. immersed or filled into a plugged can will help remove some-to-most of the crud. If lead is in the mix AND the can is only composed of stainless and/or titanium then “the dip” can be used to dissolve lead. The dip is periacetic acid, created by a 50/50 mix of vinegar (dilute acetic acid) and Hydrogen peroxide. This dissolves lead into hazardous lead acetate.  Lead acetate is toxic by ingestion, skin and eye exposure.  The “dip” wash is a hazmat solution to be disposed of through local hazardous materials drop-offs. Not something to splash onto yourself or keep around.  Gloves, goggles, careful handling are indicated.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Green0:

They are probably cast.  I think most stellite baffles are cast. If so those would be the ejector marks of the lost wax part that was ceramic slurried and baked as the sacrificial mold for the poured stellite parts on the tree comprising the casting for that pour.

The properties of cast materials are unique to that process, and the properties of those processes are almost tradecraft to the casting industry. They have special publications they pay a lot of money for that are not generally public knowledge that discuss the formulas and properties of the various material/process parameter pairings.

I had one bad experience with cast properties using 625 inconel, where I learned that 625 derives 50% of its strength from cold reduction (rolling bar or sheet), and the cast process for that material yields a high nickel alloy part about as strong as rolled 316L stainless steel. In other words stamped 625 is totally superior to cast 625.  Obviously this is a different material application so I’m only illustrating the complexities of casting that can potentially complicate that.

View Quote

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

If you are using solid base bullets for centerfire the crud is mostly carbon.  Open base bullets (most FMJ) will result in lead build up as well, condensed from lead vapor mixed with carbon.  

It’s a good idea to weigh a virgin can.  When it gains an ounce or two of build-up a little periodic cleaning extends life and keeps weight down. For carbon-deposits-only the use of solvents/cleaners such as Sea Foam, CLR descaler, Berries carb cleaner, etc. immersed or filled into a plugged can will help remove some-to-most of the crud. If lead is in the mix AND the can is only composed of stainless and/or titanium then “the dip” can be used to dissolve lead. The dip is periacetic acid, created by a 50/50 mix of vinegar (dilute acetic acid) and Hydrogen peroxide. This dissolves lead into hazardous lead acetate.  Lead acetate is toxic by ingestion, skin and eye exposure.  The “dip” wash is a hazmat solution to be disposed of through local hazardous materials drop-offs. Not something to splash onto yourself or keep around.  Gloves, goggles, careful handling are indicated.
View Quote

Thank you, appreciate the help
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KSPeacekeeper:
Someone here most likely has already posted this, but I wasn't willing to sort through everything to look.  Here is the CGS Helios QD blast baffle before I shot it.  Not sure how many rounds CGS put through it.
https://i.imgur.com/8AsYFLn.jpg
View Quote

Very cool! I don't think anyone has posted one in this thread. Unfortunately my Helios QD Ti is still pending at 131 days...
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Otter Creek Polonium - 0 rounds

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
AAC Mini-4

New in hand early ‘20.  Converted to Omega  threads with a Plan A after only a few hundred rounds on a 51T Brakeout.  Has lived primarily on a 10.5” 5.56mm with Griffin EZ brake for 95% of the ~2000rds it’s seen, other portion on a 20” .223 with a Griffin minimalist brake.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Rex Silentium MG10 .458. Brand new.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Surefire RC2 just broke the 8k round mark, shot almost exclusively on 10.3/11.5” barrels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Airborne11B] [#12]
My old school SF 556-212, vintage 2007.

About 10k rounds on it - maybe a little more. Never been on a rifle with a barrel longer than 11.5. Spent some time on a full auto 416 for a bit too.

A touch louder, but otherwise perfectly operational.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]
DA wolverine. Approx 25-30 rounds.

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Mid 2000s baffles from a Gemtech Outback II, unsure of the round count. Maybe a few thousand. Replaced by ECCO with a removable stack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]

They are probably cast.  I think most stellite baffles are cast. If so those would be the ejector marks of the lost wax part that was ceramic slurried and baked as the sacrificial mold for the poured stellite parts on the tree comprising the casting for that pour.

The properties of cast materials are unique to that process, and the properties of those processes are almost tradecraft to the casting industry. They have special publications they pay a lot of money for that are not generally public knowledge that discuss the formulas and properties of the various material/process parameter pairings.

I had one bad experience with cast properties using 625 inconel, where I learned that 625 derives 50% of its strength from cold reduction (rolling bar or sheet), and the cast process for that material yields a high nickel alloy part about as strong as rolled 316L stainless steel. In other words stamped 625 is totally superior to cast 625.  Obviously this is a different material application so I’m only illustrating the complexities of casting that can potentially complicate that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:

Does the Sierra 5 have MIM baffles? Those look a lot like ejector marks.

Green0, this is spot on.  All Stellite baffles are cast--which provides optimal strength for this application.  We won't MIM any baffles. There are places for MIM'd parts, but I haven't found a use case yet in a silencer that I want to build.  

For those wondering, casting involves an exact blend of the alloying materials being fully molten and it's poured into a mold.  Depending on the metal, you can heat treat it get it to get exactly what you want out of it.  Stellite comes out exceptionally well.  The drawback is the tooling cost upfront for the molds and then the per piece price is much higher than a machined part.  It's very labor and technology intensive to make. The interesting part is that it starts out by injection molding wax into a mold that is then built onto a "tree" of 60-120 parts connected together.  That's why there are ejection pin marks.  It's a relic of that first wax injection step and it passes all the way through to finished part. (Something I think is actually cool).  The trees are then coated in a ceramic slurry and fired to create the actual mold used for the molten metal.  The firing process of the ceramic melts out the wax--hence the alternate name for investment casting: "Wax Loss Method".  After the metal is poured and cooled, then the ceramic is broken off yielding a big tree of Stellite baffles that need to be machined off and cleaned up into individual little baffles.      

MIM, typically involves mixing metal powder with binders, then that's heated and pushed into a mold and you get a "brown part" that's a mix of binders and metal powder in the shape that you want--but a little bigger.  That brown part sees some cleaning and treatment processes that cook out the binders which then makes it a "green part".  From there it's heated and sintered into the final part.  Basically, the part shrinks as all the little metal particles melt together, and you end up with your final product.  In the end, you get all the alloying elements, but it seems you rarely get the same material properties as wrought or cast materials. There are typically crystal grain structure issues and dimensional warpage to deal with.  There are some amazing MIM processes out there, but I haven't found a use for them yet beyond really simple baffle designs like Sig and Q have been using.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 2:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#16]
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Nomad LT, smack new

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought I posted this here, but I guess not! When my brother got his r9 out of jail, we decided to weigh it against mine. This has about 1200 or so rounds through it and its 4 grams heavier than a brand new one:

I wish this thread was more active. I love seeing all of the different blast baffle designs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 9:00:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joesrcool] [#20]
Rex MG7 .224 with approximately 1000 rounds through it. This was discovered after 200 rounds of rapid semi-auto from an 8.3in gun. And yes, after this was discovered, Rex rebuilt the can with their "heavy duty" baffles via their warranty, at no cost to me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#21]
@Green0
@Mageever

What are your thoughts on using 300c maraging steel for baffles?
I know it's expensive but once heat treated has ~300k PSI yield strength @~53 Rc hardness and it is not brittle. It retains very good strength at high temp.
Machines OK in the annealed condition and with the low temp heat treat shows little/no warping or size change.

Second question. What is your opinion on having a ported first baffle vs a symmetric baffle?
In my limited experience building form 1 cans an asymmetric first baffle results in greater point of aim change and loss of accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 5:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:
I wish this thread was more active. I love seeing all of the different blast baffle designs.
View Quote
Agreed. In particular I'd love to see pics of the inside of the Huxwrx Flow 556k. Partially due to the reports that out of the box the insides were very sharp but also just because it's a 3d printed flow through can which is somewhat new.

On that topic @green0 any chance you could take pics of the Sig SLX can you have? I'm also interested in pics of any Griffin cans even if they're unfired just to see the baffles (at least for the non-servicable ones, your website has pics of the serviceable ones disassembled that display the baffles somewhat). From what I've seen it's mainly older revisions that have been posted here which makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't remember who reported the sharp internals on the flow 556k and the thread is archived now so I can't see the usernames. If anyone remembers please tag them here for me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:35:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#28]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#29]

The sig internals are visible in one of the Kras sig patents.

Drawings up to 7e with the hexagonal holes in the blast chamber pretty well show the sig exactly as it is.

After 7e the patent has a lot of drawings that have no relevance to the sig slx qd can I have.

The longer, larger, very complex 556qd Kras can sounds similar to our Dual lok 5 and the Kras can is louder in front, and its first round flash is brighter. I don't know what Kras's background is, but if he doesn't have a lot of time in suppressor design, he did a pretty good job with the Sig can (and I hadn't heard of him until pretty recently, so he probably has short time in suppressors).

This is a recent patent of mine. The parts look simple but the features are all tuned (the result of a lot of work and testing), and they perform really well. When the parts don't have really crazy extraneous geometry, lighter strong cans are possible.

My recent patent on some eco flow stuff.

I try to avoid coaxial elements and elements that increase internal surface area as they tend to foul badly, increase heating, add weight, and insulate internal components from cooling.
View Quote
Are the drawings in your patent you linked different than the current eco-flow baffles? I've got an Explorr .224 in the works
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mr_Goodkat:
Agreed. In particular I'd love to see pics of the inside of the Huxwrx Flow 556k. Partially due to the reports that out of the box the insides were very sharp but also just because it's a 3d printed flow through can which is somewhat new.
View Quote

Ask and ye shall receive:

I shot my coworkers on an 11.5 or 12.5 a few weeks ago one of our inside bays. There's definitely zero noticeable gas to face (you can only smell the carbon), but it was flashy on the muzzle side. We were shooting pmc xtac. Not sure if thays flashy ammo or not.

I also realized just now I can contribute more to this thread, I now work at a dealer and we have a crap load of cans in the back. Just need to find the time!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 103M95G] [#32]
Purchased in 2018
~10,000 rounds, some full auto mag dumps
belongs to a friend of mine
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Let's see some .50 BMG cans, anybody?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
When baffles get worn, can the owner of a legally owned suppressor replace the baffles on their own?  I'm not talking about changing the design of the suppressors, altering basic shape, changing serial number or changing any of the identifying info on the suppressor..just replacing the blast baffle/s.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Genin:
When baffles get worn, can the owner of a legally owned suppressor replace the baffles on their own?  I'm not talking about changing the design of the suppressors, altering basic shape, changing serial number or changing any of the identifying info on the suppressor..just replacing the blast baffle/s.
View Quote

No you can’t. And that sandman S baffles are not worn out. That’s carbon build up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#37]
StrikeEagle,
Other than knowing a permit is required to keep a suppressor legal, I don't know all that much about the small legal details that could get someone in trouble.  I'm not surprised that BATFE is so restrictive, it just seems overkill to not allow an owner to replace a small inner piece that doesn't affect the look, size, or caliber of the suppressor..the devil is in the details seems appropriate.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 7:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HansohnBrothers] [#38]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By EP4T:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Barrett QDL - Zero rounds

@EP4T
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

That blast chamber…

I wonder how many barrels you'd go through before you wear through the blast baffle…
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:

No you can’t. And that sandman S baffles are not worn out. That’s carbon build up.
View Quote

They’re not worn out but that’s not carbon.  There are some fragments missing like the Sandmans on page 4
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:

They’re not worn out but that’s not carbon.  There are some fragments missing like the Sandmans on page 4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:

To me it looks like the carbon built up then broke off and the baffles are fine underneath.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]

To me it looks like the carbon built up then broke off and the baffles are fine underneath.
View Quote

@Mageever would know best, but I believe he has stated before, about another sandman with similar damage, that the baffle in the picture is actually chipped. It’s something with the way stellite reacts to minor baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By EP4T:
View Quote

KG Made integrally suppressed M2 barrel.  It appears to be a reflex design.  The muzzle of the barrel is located near the seam approximately 1/3 of the way into the can.  I didn’t get a picture of the internals.  This is not mine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By aksahsalahs:

@Mageever would know best, but I believe he has stated before, about another sandman with similar damage, that the baffle in the picture is actually chipped. It’s something with the way stellite reacts to minor baffle strikes.
View Quote

That's a chipped out piece of the blast baffle.  It can happen when a bullet yaws or has a jacket separation--especially during full auto fire.  If it were just erosion, you'd see a lot more of that depth removed all the way around.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By rdb2403:

https://i.ibb.co/q56cS83/A9808-DA6-727-C-4868-BA7-C-AFE1-ACD664-E2.jpg

KG Made integrally suppressed M2 barrel.  It appears to be a reflex design.  The muzzle of the barrel is located near the seam approximately 1/3 of the way into the can.  I didn’t get a picture of the internals.  This is not mine.
View Quote

Whoa!
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#47]
This is in the top 10 threads on this site. Gotta work harder to get my sandman looking like the one above!
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Aero lahar, 0 rounds:

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Vox S with 417 rounds of 300blk through it. Mostly subsonic.

Link Posted: 2/25/2023 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've stopped trying to keep count but this Turbo has to be over 15k rounds at this point.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top