Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2016 10:44:17 AM EDT
Looking down the road, I'm trying to decide if I want a SCAR. and following my own rules, everything I buy needs the be able to be suppressed.

So, how does a SCAR SBR suppress when compared to an AR-15 SBR?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Scar SBR vs AR SBR

Obviously this is just one man's opinion
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I like your rules.
Very much.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
SCAR SBR is cool, but if I had to do it again, I'd just stick with an AR and adjustable gas block. I built an AR SBR for the price of the SCAR's barrel . Sound difference, I honestly can't tell and I always wear foam plugs when shooting. Now the SCAR can go a lot longer without cleaning, I didn't clean it for ~500 rounds all suppressed, and it was fine. This wasn't one session, I'd shoot a hundred rounds, put it away, take it out shoot some more, and without adding more lube, it just kept going.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine does great with a 16" barrel, I dearly want to Form 1 it with a 10" barrel now.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking down the road, I'm trying to decide if I want a SCAR. and following my own rules, everything I buy needs the be able to be suppressed.

View Quote

Suppress great.  Do it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scar SBR vs AR SBR

View Quote

GREAT VID!  Love shooting the SCAR with and w/o can....well....maybe not so much w/o....the pressure wave is freakin obnoxious with the 10" barel.  As mentioned in the vid....FWIW....the SBR SCAR does have the cool factor.

From the factory, the SCAR has an adjustable gas block so little to zero gas in face blowback.  But, lots of adjustable gas block options for the AR15 to mitigate gas blowback.

W/O can, with brake:

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sexy!

Quoted:

GREAT VID!  Love shooting the SCAR with and w/o can....well....maybe not so much w/o....the pressure wave is freakin obnoxious with the 10" barel.  As mentioned in the vid....FWIW....the SBR SCAR does have the cool factor.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QWNper98E2w/VJtqg2PhGvI/AAAAAAAAf14/f8mUpKqgSM4glS85qBYP59UoQdlauFctgCCo/s800/IMG_1211_DPP.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hO2N5Tnp0f0/VJtUNmLBgoI/AAAAAAAAf1Q/u-B9_ZP1V3M498HTUv2apscZ3byHNc0qgCCo/s800/IMG_1203_DPP.JPG

W/O can, with brake:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9_-lOZrnrPM/VMZcNe1zodI/AAAAAAAAgAI/yrC0MOxUSIIh6hwyYSAP__p6IDkTXVEkACCo/s800/SCAR_1.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scar SBR vs AR SBR

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QWNper98E2w/VJtqg2PhGvI/AAAAAAAAf14/f8mUpKqgSM4glS85qBYP59UoQdlauFctgCCo/s800/IMG_1211_DPP.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hO2N5Tnp0f0/VJtUNmLBgoI/AAAAAAAAf1Q/u-B9_ZP1V3M498HTUv2apscZ3byHNc0qgCCo/s800/IMG_1203_DPP.JPG

W/O can, with brake:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9_-lOZrnrPM/VMZcNe1zodI/AAAAAAAAgAI/yrC0MOxUSIIh6hwyYSAP__p6IDkTXVEkACCo/s800/SCAR_1.jpg

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I must be in the minority with gas issues on my scar sbr. I'm using a factory 10" barrel with a socom mini and I get gassed to death with my eyes tearing up with a double tap. I changed out the gas control screw to a smaller size and experience less gas than before, but ti's still not nearly as gas free as my DD MK18 with an innovative arms war upper/gas buster setup. I changed out the gas control screw again to 2 sizes smaller, but haven't had a chance to run it since. Hopefully it will cut back on the gas some more (while still running reliably). I'll report back after I get a chance to take it out again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that it suppresses just as good as an AR does. No major differences between the two. Maybe a little less gas and easier to clean.  I went a little nontraditional with mine in that I had it cut to 11.5" instead of the factory 10. If you have the option to do it than I would.  I have a couple of other SBRs and this one is my favorite.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to agree that the rifle has less gas blowback. The adjustable gas system is nice too.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
^ sexy

I'm thinking the SCAR might be a good candidate for an over the barrel suppressor instead of SBRing it? I wonder if there is a way to get a AE can to work on the SCARs profile? Maybe a Form 1 build.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^ sexy

I'm thinking the SCAR might be a good candidate for an over the barrel suppressor instead of SBRing it? I wonder if there is a way to get a AE can to work on the SCARs profile? Maybe a Form 1 build.
View Quote

Or a griffin rsta?  I considered that for my scar 17, but since i form1'd it and put that longer handguard....the saker 762 will stay.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:25:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The FN SCAR L ( both 10" and 14.5" ) are significantly louder than a DI operated AR type rifle/carbine.

With a 10"-14,5" AR15 type rifle, you are in the c. 133-140 dB range 1 m left of the muzzle with various suppressor types, on the SCAR L's a the same location is c. 145-152 dB ( gas block/port noise )

Shooting right handed with an AR15, you are looking at c. 131-137 dB at the left ear  and c. 139-142 dB at the right ear

Figures for the SCAR L at the same locations are c. 147-149 dB and 149-151 dB.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top