Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 40 of 42)
Page / 42
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zentradi:
This thread reminded me I needed to go out and shoot my amazing Sierra 5 can with its superior cobalt steel baffles produced by the industry-leading company, Dead Air.    This suppressor is amazing in sound performance and flash-hiding performance despite being smaller than other cans it outperforms.  

The knurling in the well-thought-out design goes hand in hand with the best mount in the industry, the Xeno, and we enjoyed emptying the magazine with no gas to the face at all.    That's pretty awesome considering I was running a non-regulated gasblock that cycles properly whether or not the high-performing Sierra 5 suppressor is attached.    

We did take the high-performance Sierra 5 off and after putting ear-pro on fired several rounds of the short-barreled rifle, rattling the land with concussion and reminding everyone just how efficient a newer design like the Sierra 5 is.    My ear pro, of course, was quickly removed once the rifle was resuppressed.  
Of course, swapping out a thoughtfully designed can like the S5 with its knurling was easy because the texture of the knurling allowed the oven mit to still grasp the can and easily remove it from the industry-leading Xeno mount.  

Did fire some rounds through the other top-of-line can, the AB A10 which will likely become commonly appreciated as BOGO approvals roll in for new owners.    The A10 of course uses the modern industry standard HUB thread which allowed it to use the elite Xeno mounting system and was quickly and solidly attached to the Xeno mount.   I am looking forward to other friends having their A10's approved and think the AB A10 which dominated almost all of the silencer summit will be a very popular can this year.      

The Sierra 5 continued to perform after being reattached and the morning was pleasantly suppressed.     I again thank Dead Air for their design, build and timely customer service response to my questions when they come up (about other products too).   I'm looking forward to my approval for the phenomenal next generation Dead Air Mojave, and genuinely feel bad for people who swore off the industry leader as I am very much so looking forward to putting thousands and thousands of rounds through the Mojave.    Very happy that Dead Air is better than ever, and also hoping the .45 Mojave becomes a reality, not that I don't already love my Dead Air .45 cans.   Keep up the good work, you are appreciated!  

View Quote

...this has to be a bot account...
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
This thread reminded me I needed to go out and shoot my amazing Sierra 5 can with its superior cobalt steel baffles produced by the industry-leading company, Dead Air.    This suppressor is amazing in sound performance and flash-hiding performance despite being smaller than other cans it outperforms.  

The knurling in the well-thought-out design goes hand in hand with the best mount in the industry, the Xeno, and we enjoyed emptying the magazine with no gas to the face at all.    That's pretty awesome considering I was running a non-regulated gasblock that cycles properly whether or not the high-performing Sierra 5 suppressor is attached.    

We did take the high-performance Sierra 5 off and after putting ear-pro on fired several rounds of the short-barreled rifle, rattling the land with concussion and reminding everyone just how efficient a newer design like the Sierra 5 is.    My ear pro, of course, was quickly removed once the rifle was resuppressed.  
Of course, swapping out a thoughtfully designed can like the S5 with its knurling was easy because the texture of the knurling allowed the oven mit to still grasp the can and easily remove it from the industry-leading Xeno mount.  

Did fire some rounds through the other top-of-line can, the AB A10 which will likely become commonly appreciated as BOGO approvals roll in for new owners.    The A10 of course uses the modern industry standard HUB thread which allowed it to use the elite Xeno mounting system and was quickly and solidly attached to the Xeno mount.   I am looking forward to other friends having their A10's approved and think the AB A10 which dominated almost all of the silencer summit will be a very popular can this year.      

The Sierra 5 continued to perform after being reattached and the morning was pleasantly suppressed.     I again thank Dead Air for their design, build and timely customer service response to my questions when they come up (about other products too).   I'm looking forward to my approval for the phenomenal next generation Dead Air Mojave, and genuinely feel bad for people who swore off the industry leader as I am very much so looking forward to putting thousands and thousands of rounds through the Mojave.    Very happy that Dead Air is better than ever, and also hoping the .45 Mojave becomes a reality, not that I don't already love my Dead Air .45 cans.   Keep up the good work, you are appreciated!  

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By zentradi:Did fire some rounds through the other top-of-line can, the AB A10 which will likely become commonly appreciated as BOGO approvals roll in for new owners.    The A10 of course uses the modern industry standard HUB thread which allowed it to use the elite Xeno mounting system and was quickly and solidly attached to the Xeno mount.   I am looking forward to other friends having their A10's approved and think the AB A10 which dominated almost all of the silencer summit will be a very popular can this year.
View Quote

Were you using the regular commercial version of the A10 or the special one-off 7" version that was featured at the Summit?

Regardless, it's clear that this MAXIMIZING OF OPTIMAL SYNERGIES is matched only by DEAD AIR BRAND products.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Yep!

One trick ponies don't know a second trick.

Gotta wonder about people so disturbed by someone enjoying what they have, then realize it's just best to avoid those sorts.  

Simply a man who enjoys what he has, and some things I enjoy are my vastly superior and high-performing Dead Air suppressors.    I enjoy the thoughtfully engineered designs that make them user-friendly and even more so enjoy the thoughtfully engineered sound performance.    

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I was seriously looking to pick up a Sierra 5 and started going through this thread to see what people were saying about the current issues. It sounds like DA has fixed the problems according to some posts here and is actively fixing silencers with issues, but seeing that guys over the top shilling posts and consistent wording of amazing, superior, industry-leading, best, high-performance, phenomenal, better than ever, is obviously over the top and down right ridiculous.
Its a huge turn off to potential buyers and is doing DA a disservice. If that guy is a DA employee, he is actively causing buyers to pass on purchasing DA products and DA should fire him or send him to marketing school and if he isn't a DA employee, hes got to be employed by a competitor. I guess another scenario is that he's so invested in DA products that he has to post over the top comments to help justify his purchases in what was obviously a flawed and almost dangerous manufacturing error in the original design or assembly process. I don't know which one since DA refuses to even address the issues.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#6]
For the benefit of the moderator, I am not an employee or in any way connected to the industry-leading suppressor manufacturer Dead Air, other than as a consumer of the finest products available.

I was in a position to buy the best suppressors and accessories on the market, so I bought them and it just happened that many of the best suppressors out there happened to be made by Dead Air which is pursuing new technologies and creating the next generation of silencers, including the already epic Mojave 9.   I like the idea of moving forward instead of slurping "member berries" and pleasantly enjoying the best silencers available, and if they weren't the best, I wouldn't have bought them.  

So, to the benefit of our moderator who may review allegations I work in the silencer industry I don't, my only connection to Dead Air was I wanted the best silencers available and they make many of them. I find the designs very considerately engineered to the benefit of the user and the sound performance excellent.

I am not at all sorry that I'm not a miserable person who is unhappy with what I own. Every day is a good day to be happy.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neight] [#7]
It’s Occam’s razor everybody.
He’s just a troll, and Dead Air wrote us all off along time ago.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

I was seriously looking to pick up a Sierra 5 and started going through this thread to see what people were saying about the current issues. It sounds like DA has fixed the problems according to some posts here and is actively fixing silencers with issues, but seeing that guys over the top shilling posts and consistent wording of amazing, superior, industry-leading, best, high-performance, phenomenal, better than ever, is obviously over the top and down right ridiculous.
Its a huge turn off to potential buyers and is doing DA a disservice. If that guy is a DA employee, he is actively causing buyers to pass on purchasing DA products and DA should fire him or send him to marketing school and if he isn't a DA employee, hes got to be employed by a competitor. I guess another scenario is that he's so invested in DA products that he has to post over the top comments to help justify his purchases in what was obviously a flawed and almost dangerous manufacturing error in the original design or assembly process. I don't know which one since DA refuses to even address the issues.

View Quote

+1

I'll add that the ignore function on this site is something I rarely use, but it is there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
For the benefit of the moderator, I am not an employee or in any way connected to the industry-leading suppressor manufacturer Dead Air, other than as a consumer of the finest products available.

I was in a position to buy the best suppressors and accessories on the market, so I bought them and it just happened that many of the best suppressors out there happened to be made by Dead Air which is pursuing new technologies and creating the next generation of silencers, including the already epic Mojave 9.   I like the idea of moving forward instead of slurping "member berries" and pleasantly enjoying the best silencers available, and if they weren't the best, I wouldn't have bought them.  

So, to the benefit of our moderator who may review allegations I work in the silencer industry I don't, my only connection to Dead Air was I wanted the best silencers available and they make many of them. I find the designs very considerately engineered to the benefit of the user and the sound performance excellent.

I am not at all sorry that I'm not a miserable person who is unhappy with what I own. Every day is a good day to be happy.  

View Quote

Nobody wants you to be unhappy. But flat out lying about performance in a technical forum is embarrassing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
hate what? Hyperbole?

One trick ponies don't know a second trick.
View Quote

In other news, cars with 4 wheels don’t have 7.

Dead Air’s trick is guerrilla marketing on sites like this. Surely you see how that would synergistically combine with your wording to draw some skepticism? FWIW, I don’t think you’re a shill, just trying to grab some negative attention. On that note, I bid you good day, Sir.

Originally Posted By Wangstang:

+1

I'll add that the ignore function on this site is something I rarely use, but it is there.
View Quote
yeah, I don’t usually use it lightly and I also purge it periodically to reduce the echo chamber effect. However, the ignore feature on this site is exceptionally well designed. It allows you to put a reason why you added them in the first place, and you can still see their comments if the mood strikes you or they’re attempting to convey a technical insight. Their comments simply collapse and change color to blend in, which dramatically improves the signal to noise ratio as you skim for something useful or interesting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Dude, your just goddamned silly at this point.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:25:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

I didn't reach out to CS, I just filled out the RMA on their website and sent the can in with the reason of "please upgrade my baffles" or something like that.
View Quote

Welp, I called, & was told 1.5% of total production was affected, owed to bad welds, but the effected serial # range is unknown. I gave my serial # & was assured mine isn't affected. So I'm down to shoot, wait, & see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:29:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#13]
Originally Posted By Captain92:

View All Quotes

Site staff should contact DA about advertising without paying. L

Calling someone miserable for expecting a company to be accountable for its products is more of the usual pathetic sycophantic huksterism from the usual suspect. Note that the miserable deplorables in this thread aren't idiotically shooting without hearing protection, can or no can.

Usual hyperbole, Hukster likes to say that the S5 is low back pressure, even though it's demonstrably not (skip to 2:30):

Suppressor Stuff Ep 7 - Dead Air Sierra 5: Backpressure & Flash Test

Compare to an actual reduced flow engineered can (skip to 4:45):

Suppressor Stuff Ep 4 - Knight's Armament 556QDC/CRS-PRT: Backpressure & Flash Test

Sorry your can lost, Huk.

I'm getting the KAC can.

Nobody wants you to be unhappy. But flat out lying about performance in a technical forum is embarrassing.

Superior cobalt baffles are characterized by breakage &/or crumbling when subjected to light use. Just so you know.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Welp, I called, & was told 1.5% of total production was affected, owed to bad welds, but the effected serial # range is unknown. I gave my serial # & was assured mine isn't affected. So I'm down to shoot, wait, & see what happens.
View Quote

I'm confused.  The impacted serial numbers are unknown but given your serial number they can assure you that your suppressor was not impacted?  

I guess if you have a more recent production suppressor it is  plausible but still seems like a red flag.

Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the baffle change which is equally concerning.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JTX23:

I'm confused.  The impacted serial numbers are unknown but given your serial number they can assure you that your suppressor was not impacted?  

I guess if you have a more recent production suppressor it is  plausible but still seems like a red flag.

Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the baffle change which is equally concerning.
View Quote

Earlier production (under 700).
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

It's like tiny bits of info are being slowly let out, as well as everyone who contacts them seems to get different/inconsistent info; some got an RMA for preemptive repairs to brand new cans, I was told 'chute 'em (which I do, no problem with that). I don't wish any ill will against them, but their response to loyal customers was 100% low-rent, souring a lot of us, although as we have hashed over here, they obviously don't care. What seemed to be a fully transparent company that loved interacting with their customers, took a 180 with the Sierra. It is what it is. I do hate Todd took his ball and left the forum as I always enjoyed reading his posts and what he had to say.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#17]
They don’t know the serial numbers of defective cans, but they’re sure it’s 1.5%

They should have just continued to remain silent on this matter
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Knowing what we know I wouldnt put early production in the G2G category.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Site staff should contact DA about advertising without paying. L

Calling someone miserable for expecting a company to be accountable for its products is more of the usual pathetic sycophantic huksterism from the usual suspect. Note that the miserable deplorables in this thread aren't idiotically shooting without hearing protection, can or no can.

Usual hyperbole, Hukster likes to say that the S5 is low back pressure, even though it's demonstrably not (skip to 2:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qNlPcQAI8E

Compare to an actual reduced flow engineered can (skip to 4:45):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH2OmUZK7eQ

Sorry your can lost, Huk.

I'm getting the KAC can.

Superior cobalt baffles are characterized by breakage &/or crumbling when subjected to light use. Just so you know.
View Quote

I’m not giving that dude any clicks, but yes, the S5 is a traditional, albeit short, can that I would not describe as “low backpressure”.

As for Todd leaving arfcom, I wish he hadn’t, but I don’t think it was his choice. As an observer, it looks to me that the company he works for was screwing him by forcing him to defend his work as the sole overt employee here, while the company simultaneously resisted paying for an industry account on a site that they clearly enjoy for discussion of their products. Industry accounts do more than fund the website. They enhance the user experience by declaring an interest at the beginning of every post, and also lets us know that they may know what they’re talking about.

It's like tiny bits of info are being slowly let out, as well as everyone who contacts them seems to get different/inconsistent info; some got an RMA for preemptive repairs to brand new cans, I was told 'chute 'em (which I do, no problem with that). I don't wish any ill will against them, but their response to loyal customers was 100% low-rent, souring a lot of us, although as we have hashed over here, they obviously don't care. What seemed to be a fully transparent company that loved interacting with their customers, took a 180 with the Sierra. It is what it is. I do hate Todd took his ball and left the forum as I always enjoyed reading his posts and what he had to say.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bully13] [#21]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

I’m not giving that dude any clicks, but yes, the S5 is a traditional, albeit short, can that I would not describe as “low backpressure”.

As for Todd leaving arfcom, I wish he hadn’t, but I don’t think it was his choice. As an observer, it looks to me that the company he works for was screwing him by forcing him to defend his work as the sole overt employee here, while the company simultaneously resisted paying for an industry account on a site that they clearly enjoy for discussion of their products. Industry accounts do more than fund the website. They enhance the user experience by declaring an interest at the beginning of every post, and also lets us know that they may know what they’re talking about.

View Quote

There's still a DA guy that posts occasionally.  Silentmike maybe? And agreed on the industry accounts
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]

The effected serial  # range is unknown but your serial isn't affected?

Which is it because those 2 things conflict haha.

At this point we've seen serial numbers in all ranges affected.
View All Quotes

The effected serial  # range is unknown but your serial isn't affected?

Which is it because those 2 things conflict haha.

At this point we've seen serial numbers in all ranges affected.

I'm sure DA knows what happened, but at this point they're removing all doubt by opening their mouths.

Failures were owed to bad welds? So they just redesigned baffles on fixed S5's for funsies?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bully13:

There's still a DA guy that posts occasionally.  Silentmike maybe? And agreed on the industry accounts
View Quote

Yeah. He seems like a cool dude. I bet he’d be more comfortable discussing his work if it didn’t risk being asked to leave. At least I assume that’s a risk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I can tell you right now they lied if they said under 700. Mine was in the 1000s and crapped out in under 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:I’m not giving that dude any clicks, but yes, the S5 is a traditional, albeit short, can that I would not describe as “low backpressure”.
View Quote

Interesting, what do you have against Sol at Rooftop Defense?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:44:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#26]
Originally Posted By waddlingweezol:

I can tell you right now they lied if they said under 700. Mine was in the 1000s and crapped out in under 50 rounds.
View All Quotes

Sorry, should've been more clear. I meant that my serial # is below 700.

Originally Posted By 797hp:
They don’t know the serial numbers of defective cans, but they’re sure it’s 1.5%

They should have just continued to remain silent on this matter

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#27]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Interesting, what do you have against Sol at Rooftop Defense?
View Quote

Absolutely nothing. But in the thumbnail I can see on my phone I didn’t know who it was. Still, if he said the S5 is a “low backpressure silencer”, well, I disagree with that. And I don’t mean that in a negative way. Its a traditional baffle system and isn’t less gassy than comparable cans.

I didn’t intend to be a dick towards anyone; I conveyed my point poorly, and revealed my baseline distrust of guntubers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Absolutely nothing. But in the thumbnail I can see on my phone I didn’t know who it was. Still, if he said the S5 is a “low backpressure silencer”, well, I disagree with that. And I don’t mean that in a negative way. Its a traditional baffle system and isn’t less gassy than comparable cans.

I didn’t intend to be a dick towards anyone; I conveyed my point poorly, and revealed my baseline distrust of guntubers.
View Quote

Got ya, I can see by Master_Blaster's post how it seemed that way. M_B was referring to our token Dead Air fanatic, who might be the only one here who would try to claim the S5 as "low backpressure." I understand a certain level of baseline distrust, I carry that towards any medium of communication until proven otherwise. Sol's suppressor reviews/demos are fantastic IMO. He has a good method of directly comparing back pressure and flash, which is becoming more common but is still relatively rare.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#29]

Got ya, I can see by Master_Blaster's post how it seemed that way. M_B was referring to our token Dead Air fanatic, who might be the only one here who would try to claim the S5 as "low backpressure." I understand a certain level of baseline distrust, I carry that towards any medium of communication until proven otherwise. Sol's suppressor reviews/demos are fantastic IMO. He has a good method of directly comparing back pressure and flash, which is becoming more common but is still relatively rare.
View Quote

I’ve seen some of their videos, and generally like those cats. They’ve been cool to deal with, too. The only thing that would make me question their videos is that they sell gun stuff, but so far they seem honest. My actual, no marketing involved, interactions with them have been good.

I failed to watch the video before talking shit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Annnd free ramen.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Sorry, should've been more clear. I meant that my serial # is below 700.

View Quote

Ah gotcha. Well regardless if you told them your serial # was below 700, and they assured you that yours was good to go.. then my BS meter would still be going off.

The combination of not knowing what serial # range had issues + the design/material change for RMAs, but at the same time knowing certain serial numbers weren't affected is a mess. There's just too much contradictions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Ah gotcha. Well regardless if you told them your serial # was below 700, and they assured you that yours was good to go.. then my BS meter would still be going off.

The combination of not knowing what serial # range had issues + the design/material change for RMAs, but at the same time knowing certain serial numbers weren't affected is a mess. There's just too much contradictions.
View Quote

This...All day...Every Day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't think this is necessarily an indictment against the design (and I think this was one of the first), but it is kind of amusing.

It finally happened - Sierra 5 Destruction ( on purpose )
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a very early S5.  Serial number 14X.  I have put about 500 rounds thru it.  This last weekend I abused it on a PSA Jakl 10.5" pistol.  No damage, no problems.  I would think if there was going to be a problem I would have seen it by now.  Don't have a dog in the fight and don't care either way but so far it has been fun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#35]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#36]
Originally Posted By Green0:

Yeah it shows how durable it is, and that's not in a separate world from the original model.  What he's doing is of course beyond what is required for duty use by law enforcement. When he picks up the unit it is visible that the blast baffle is visibly trashed, and the tube housing failure is catastrophic. The high cyclic rate is indicative of very high backpressure.  The flash signature also shows the flash hider doesn't perform amazing when the can is hot.

We ran an HRT 17 magazines on a 13.7".  It's not apples to oranges, but it ran nicely, and that was the most abusive test I've ever run on an AR.  A Nato partner put an HRT through 10 cycles of 6, 30 rd mags on full auto M193 on an HK416 11" gun, and it didn't catastrophically fail.  The can was intact after the 10 cycles, but the cerakote had baked off, and that's the only Cerakote failure from temperature I've ever seen.
View Quote

Cyclic rate was the first thing I noticed. What gun does this dude use….is that a mostly factory DD rifle?

A dude I shoot with a lot destroyed the fuck out of a silencer’s Ceracote pretty immediately on a 14.5” gun via heat, and he wasn’t doing that on purpose, nor is his ammo “free”. He redid it with a higher temp rated version, which has held up well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't think this is necessarily an indictment against the design (and I think this was one of the first), but it is kind of amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQL2hKmYpM
View Quote

That's really great knurling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#38]

View All Quotes

I was indeed referencing a certain dubious assertion right here in this thread. That aside, Sol's test indicated 17.8% higher RoF for the S5 vs 8.5% for the KAC PRT can vs 5.3% for the RC3. Conversely, the RC3 became glowing red, while KAC barely showed visible heat signature, with the S5 heating somewhat brighter than the Knights can, but not like the Surefire.

Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

This...All day...Every Day.

Oh, I know it. I was & surmised the discussion wasn't going anywhere. I have a number of DA cans based on previous reviews from here & elsewhere, so this PR/CR mess just bugs me, even setting aside the sycophantic propaganda in this discussion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Not that anyone cares...

I have around 1,500 rounds thru mine

I wont send it back until it fails, hopefully it will never fail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

where do the S/N start?

Mine is SR503***
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#41]
SR5 is the prefix

I would think the first silencer to be serialized had the number SR5-00001 but who knows what number they actually started on
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#42]
They probably don't know either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Conversely, the RC3 became glowing red, while KAC barely showed visible heat signature, with the S5 heating somewhat brighter than the Knights can, but not like the Surefire.
View Quote
looking at the RC3 patent drawings is illuminating as to why this is. Pumping heat energy into to outer tube early that would normally have to be conducted off the baffles is both good and bad. Everything’s a tradeoff.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#44]
looking at the RC3 patent drawings is illuminating as to why this is. Pumping heat energy into to outer tube early that would normally have to be conducted off the baffles is both good and bad. Everything’s a tradeoff.
View All Quotes
Conversely, the RC3 became glowing red, while KAC barely showed visible heat signature, with the S5 heating somewhat brighter than the Knights can, but not like the Surefire.

I think this is the most misunderstood concept in the firearms industry. People over-value certain performance metrics to the point where they buy unusable capabilities at the expense of something else. The rc2 is a perfect example-its built like a tank and was designed to be fielded on a belt-fed as well as a rifle. The violent nature of the open-bolt higher volume of fire systems requires different levels of 'durability' than something designed for a closed-bolt semi auto only system. People purchase the durability of the can at the expense of weight-even though a lighter can will fit the bill more than perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:

where do the S/N start?

Mine is SR503***
View Quote

Mine is SR5019** and I just sent it into DA today. Ran a hundred rounds yesterday on my 16" Geissele and after i took it off I noticed a faint rattling coming from inside the can. Guess I get to join the club...
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#46]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Green0:

I think its also a function of tube thickness.  Inconel tubes are often .035” and that’s really thin.  No mass equals super rapid temperature change. The RC3 is a tube within a tube, it probably has .07” or .08 wall total, so it has all the weight without the visual signature advantage when it comes to temperature, because the walls aren’t in contact and hot gas is flowing between the two walls, but the walls are also probably cooling gas to lower flash signature, so thats a means of achieving an advantage at low operating temperature.

The cerakote that I was talking about failing was the C series high temp, and it requires about 1900F-2000F to fail.
View Quote

Yeah, that cooling from traveling along the wall was what I was getting at. I must’ve misunderstood you about the Ceracote. The Ceracote I was talking about I think isn’t that super high temp stuff. The can I was talking about is from another company that’s somewhat known for using a Ceracote type that gets trashed easily. Or they were known for that; hopefully changed by now. I’ve also heard someone say that there was something wrong with the surface prep that was being used by that brand, but that’s way outside my own knowledge.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#49]
Originally Posted By spot-remover:
Near Dead Air Level QC and Accountability
View Quote

How? Honda appears to not only know exactly which 245 (which would have to go off exact VINs) 2023’s could be affected, how, and why, but also has issued a public recall. Aren’t they kinda known for RCA when there’s this exact type of problem, or am I thinking of someone else?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#50]

How? Honda appears to not only know exactly which 245 (which would have to go off exact VINs) 2023’s could be affected, how, and why, but also has issued a public recall. Aren’t they kinda known for RCA when there’s this exact type of problem, or am I thinking of someone else?
View Quote

I was trying to be snarky.  When I saw that article the first thing I thought about was how badly DA did with their non-recall.  Full disclosure; I am a Honda fanboy.
Page / 42
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 40 of 42)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top