Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 41 of 42)
Page / 42
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spot-remover:

I was trying to be snarky.  When I saw that article the first thing I thought about was how badly DA did with their non-recall.  Full disclosure; I am a Honda fanboy.
View Quote
lol, I’m dense.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Its an amazing contrast; Honda can narrow it down to a single torque wrench while DA can't figure out what SNs might be affected.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Its an amazing contrast; Honda can narrow it down to a single torque wrench while DA can't figure out what SNs might be affected.
View Quote

A similar story is actually how I learned about root cause analysis as a process.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Working in quality and watching the DA shit show is frightening. We make over 5 million items a day, and within 15 minutes I can give you the details and testing data for every single component, what machine it came off of, and when it was assembled to the second. And our process is a bit more involved than making a can.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By meestermurphy:

Working in quality and watching the DA shit show is frightening. We make over 5 million items a day, and within 15 minutes I can give you the details and testing data for every single component, what machine it came off of, and when it was assembled to the second. And our process is a bit more involved than making a can.
View Quote

And now they are ostensibly setting up their own factory. Hopefully they hire and staff with an emphasis on quality processes and process discipline.

The corporate culture that was previously revealed is hard to ignore going forward by any down line interest with a background in quality, production, engineering, or even marketing / branding with even the slightest concern for good faith and long term customer relations.  

The best development for consumers are these fast stamp approvals. The sooner grass roots users can vet and discuss experience versus marketing claims, the tighter the feedback loop gets.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
So I have finally put 1000+ rounds through the S5 since I got it back from being rebuilt.   I know I am one of the biggest Dead Air haters on this forum, but I must admit, the little can does well.   I have been running it on a BCM 11.5 which just came in a tad longer in overall rifle length (maybe 1/2") than a 10.5 with RC2.   The S5 is light, short, and tough.   Flash hiding is exceptional for its size as well as sound.   It is comparable to a RC2 in those departments as well as gas blowback.   I am running a FCD keymo brake which I highly recommend, as I was finally able to get it pretty concentric.  POI shift has been nominal for up to 50 yards shooting.  

If I were in the market for another 556 can, I wouldn't run out and buy a S5 off the shelf just yet, but hopefully Dead Air gets properly built cans out there so it can put all the bs behind...as the S5 is a solid performing suppressor.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear it. Nice looking blaster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm less concerned with the can than the company.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#9]
So do new production Sierra 5s have the same blast baffle as the rebuilt ones or are they still using two different designs?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven’t seen any new production Sierra 5’s, my SOT stopped selling Dead Air silencers.

I would assume they stopped shipping cans with the defective welds and baffles but who knows with this company.

I remember reading somewhere that they sold a bunch of Sandman S’s from a military contract that were known to have crooked mounts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]
So those that sent theirs in who got them back-did dead air give you any documentation on what they found and/or did to repair them? Did they include anything else? Just curious as mine is finally coming back to me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope.

Zero documentation.

I got both of my cans back, and that’s it.

They did throw in a new flash hider with each one, which I guess is cool if you use them.

I happen to prefer brakes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Lol ok. Well at least I'll get a flash hider out of it. Yeah prefer the Xeno brakes or zeno zeros.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
So those that sent theirs in who got them back-did dead air give you any documentation on what they found and/or did to repair them? Did they include anything else? Just curious as mine is finally coming back to me.
View Quote

How long did they have yours?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes I’m curious about that.
I’ve got a rattler.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 797hp:
They did throw in a new flash hider with each one, which I guess is cool if you use them.

View Quote

All I got was a kgm employee who stole my lmt xeno mount. They replaced it with an oem xeno one, but I didn't get a flash hider.

Oh well. I still dig my Sierra 5.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NC_Parrothead:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

I know you weren’t asking me, but I filled out my RMA on the 15th of February and shipped it to DA the same day. It was delivered back to me on the 10th of March. Less than a month including 10 days of shipping there and back. Not great, not terrible.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm late to this party, and I apologize in advance for being lazy.  I saw that DA hasn't pinpointed Serial Numbers, but I was able to see in one of the YouTube videos that my can (that, frankly, hasn't had enough rounds through it to cause any damage . . . . like, fewer than 200) is within 150 numbers of that guy's can.

Is it a reasonable conclusion that mine would be defective?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:33:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AugustineBolishbatfe] [#20]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
Took the S5 out on another rifle and still loving it.   Great amazing can with excellent sound and flash suppression.

I love the knurling with the Xeno setup, haven't had any issues with the can coming loose.   Have had no gas issues, but I put a PRI gasbuster on every host. Seems like countless people want to praise other brands as being better, so if my old PRI is amazing with the S5, then it has to be a great can.    

I'm very thankful for the excellent communication with Dead Air about some other questions I have had too.    I just love smaller "K" cans the S5 really fits the need.   It's great too knowing that there are no barrel restrictions too, so should I buy a (very) short barrel CMMG Dissent, I have a great can ready to throw on it thanks to the cobalt-steel baffles.  

My only complaint is that with a can this awesome, and absolutely the Sierra Five is incredible, I'd think I was done buying 5.56 cans.   Then Dead Air releases the Lazarus and I'm like time to start saving up money again!   The next generation of suppression has begun.   The paradigm has shifted and Dead Air is dominating.     I'm not into suppressor wraps, so I'm really digging the Lazurs's heat shied even if the suppressor already as cooling/ grip fins on the tube.
View Quote

I see Mike Pappas has an anonymous account here.  I mean seriously.  This is parody level.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AugustineBolishbatfe:
I'm late to this party, and I apologize in advance for being lazy.  I saw that DA hasn't pinpointed Serial Numbers, but I was able to see in one of the YouTube videos that my can (that, frankly, hasn't had enough rounds through it to cause any damage . . . . like, fewer than 200) is within 150 numbers of that guy's can.

View Quote

No. Some people had theirs be bad out of the box. Contact DA if you think it needs to be inspected.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It appears from pics of the blast baffle they changed the design slightly.  Given short stamp approvals and the run on cans it might be a good idea to send it in sooner than later while they still have repair parts. That’s my gut talking. Alternatively you could run the crap out of it to stress test it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]

I see Mike Pappas has an anonymous account here.  I mean seriously.  This is parody level.
View Quote

Says some dude that joined this month, 22 1/2 years after zentradi.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AugustineBolishbatfe] [#24]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

View All Quotes

And yet . . . that has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of what I said/suggested.

The paradigm has shifted and Dead Air is dominating.

This is totally, 100%, unquestionably how a normal person talks about a company with which they're not affiliated.  LMAO. This is particularly the case, because this is a 41-page thread on how Dead Air is doing anything but dominating.

The most kneepad-wearing of kneepad-wearer Accuracy International Fanboys don't say this kind of thing over on Snipershide.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, being a member on a forum for over two decades is quite the accomplishment

zentradi is either a paid shill for Dead Air or a troll, take your pick.

I spent a lot of money on Dead Air products because I fell for their guerrilla marketing campaigns, this whole Sierra 5 shit show has turned me towards other companies for cans and mounts.

All they had to do was communicate with their customers but they couldn’t even do that.

Hell, I might have been satisfied with a simple explanation but they chose to ignore phone calls, emails and chose to remain silent, even to this day.

They’ll never get another dime from me and I’ll never recommend their shit to anyone looking to buy a can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Over 4 months
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ian187] [#28]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ian187:
DA Failed Warranty Repair.

View Quote

Yikes

I wonder if KGM had a hand in that repair
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You're in the sierra 5 issues thread.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By KM6:

View All Quotes

System vs Endemic
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#32]

System vs Endemic
View Quote

Ti vs Cobalt
Widespread vs isolated
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 797hp:
Yeah, being a member on a forum for over two decades is quite the accomplishment

zentradi is either a paid shill for Dead Air or a troll, take your pick.

I spent a lot of money on Dead Air products because I fell for their guerrilla marketing campaigns, this whole Sierra 5 shit show has turned me towards other companies for cans and mounts.

All they had to do was communicate with their customers but they couldn’t even do that.

Hell, I might have been satisfied with a simple explanation but they chose to ignore phone calls, emails and chose to remain silent, even to this day.

They’ll never get another dime from me and I’ll never recommend their shit to anyone looking to buy a can.
View Quote

Bingo. Too many others out there that GAF about their customer base.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

And it brings into question to quality of the repair job that DA could have done/had done on an S5.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Ti vs Cobalt
Widespread vs isolated
View All Quotes

System vs Endemic

Ti vs Cobalt
Widespread vs isolated

That's how it appears.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

Misleading haha. I’m like really? The DA Sierra 5 repair failed?

This is a nomad TI which is a completely different sleeveless stacked/welded baffle design.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

Misleading haha. I’m like really? The DA Sierra 5 repair failed?

This is a nomad TI which is a completely different sleeveless stacked/welded baffle design.

Endemic failures in every welded product line and an inability to resolve warranty satisfactorily. When does the plurality of endemic become systemic? It appears the most common failure mode across all product lines is the name engraved on the tube. Sierra 5 being a symptom.

Hopefully DA brings production in house. Their issues would probably be resolved in three or four years.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#38]

View All Quotes

22.5 years?   Dang bro, making me feel old. Gotta say though, are not the new cans better than ever?   Seems like stuff I bought a year ago is already becoming outdated.   I know the Mojave blew away every pistol can I had.    

I can now say Mike Pappas is officially the coolest dude I have ever been mistaken for.   Unfortunately, I'm not Pappas or half as cool as he is, and other than buying and shooting the crap out of suppressors as a consumer, unlike Pappa's great achievements, I contribute nothing to the industry.

Thanks silencer forum guys, I appreciate the vote of confidence though, your friend zentradi.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#39]

22.5 years?   Dang bro, making me feel old. Gotta say though, are not the new cans better than ever?   Seems like stuff I bought a year ago is already becoming outdated.   I know the Mojave blew away every pistol can I had.    

I can now say Mike Pappas is officially the coolest dude I have ever been mistaken for.   Unfortunately, I'm not Pappas or half as cool as he is, and other than buying and shooting the crap out of suppressors as a consumer, unlike Pappa's great achievements, I contribute nothing to the industry.

Thanks silencer forum guys, I appreciate the vote of confidence though, your friend zentradi.
View Quote

He would be cooler if he released a statement on the S5 like he told RangeDayBro he would.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neight] [#40]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

He would be cooler if he released a statement on the S5 like he told RangeDayBro he would.
View Quote

Zentradi should.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:56:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTX23] [#41]
Nvm
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I’m glad that they seem to have identified and corrected the defect. It is a great can, when built properly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Anybody here to report on the ECCO rebuilds? I’m thinking I’ll go that route. Even though it’s probably $600 by the time I ship out there get the work done and ship it back.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By neight:
Anybody here to report on the ECCO rebuilds? I’m thinking I’ll go that route. Even though it’s probably $600 by the time I ship out there get the work done and ship it back.
View Quote

The only caveat with the ECCO rebuilds is that the Stellite baffles they're using lacks cobalt (I think, or could be another elemental component), reducing its abrasion resistance, so it won't be suitable for SBR barrels below a certain length. Not a problem if that limitation doesn't apply to you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neight] [#46]
It’s been on an 11.5” CORE barrel with a FCD xeno break.
Is this too short? I don’t have or plan on going anything shorter. This thing is punchy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By neight:
It’s been on an 11.5” CORE barrel with a FCD xeno break.
Is this too short? I don’t have or plan on going anything shorter. This thing is punchy.
View Quote

My SBR's are 10", but that's my situation.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#48]
@ECCO_Machine can you confirm the minimum barrel length on one of your S5 recores?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nomad221] [#50]
Probably missed it in the thread. Has DA released a s/n range for the defective S5 cans ? Has DA CS improved  ?
Page / 42
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 41 of 42)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top