Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 12 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:59:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#1]
So far, most or all of these appear to come from influencers. I don’t find it strange at all that few individuals have CAT cans in-hand yet. What I find strange is that I was seeing allegedly consumer-level claims that they were the best ever, even before V1 of this thread. Followed by pussycat coming by to say that “the technology” is already in use by “T1” (barf) organizations.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Almost...except the people on video and in pictures and on forum posts who have reported their experiences with them.

Someone who has live access to the suppressors they are interested in is extremely fortunate. Critical thinking and watching our confirmation biases is important but we are fortunate to have a few sources beyond text boxes to draw from.

For example, in the East County video above, they directly compare the ODB to the Helios with both closed and vented end caps. They comment on the perceived sound performance, cyclic rate/ejection pattern, and gas to the face. The ODB cycles a little faster than the Helios with a vented cap and cycles a little slower than the Helios with a closed cap. The ODB sounds noticeably better to the shooters. All of this coincides with PEW's data. One of the shooters also states the ODB still isn't his all-time favorite. We can see the ejection patterns and gas (and even the sound difference in this case although I don't rely on video for realistic sound), though we need to apply critical thinking and realize we didn't see that gun cycle unsuppressed and that it's near freezing temperatures at the time of the video. At least one person in the comments didn't realize that when it's near freezing and one exhales, a person's breath can be visible as a cloud of water vapor.

Interesting points about Reddit. It is structured very differently than this forum so all of the sincere reviews are mixed into the list with GD-style shit posts etc., and the threads aren't policed the same either. It is a much more popular forum so it has a greater volume of everything. Looking at the ARF Silencers sub-forum page...what are the most popular stickied threads? We don't have a vote system here but I do see a lot of sucking up to sponsors and a tribalistic tendency that assumes ARF is the enclave of the most informed enthusiasts, which is as wacky as CAT's marketing team.
View Quote
I agree with much, or even most of what you’re saying. But, if we’re talking about confirmation bias, consider that you’ve been digging through youtube comments to find a favorable explanation for why a gun that won’t even run unsuppressed suddenly looks gassy when a totally not gassy can is added. How much water vapor is in GSR, anyway? There’s very limited water in a 5.56 case vs a pint-glass volume human breath.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
So far, most or all of these appear to come from influencers. I don’t find it strange at all that few individuals have CAT cans in-hand yet. What I find strange is that I was seeing allegedly consumer-level claims that they were the best ever, even before V1 of this thread. Followed by pussycat coming by to say that “the technology” is already in use by “T1” (barf) organizations.
I agree with much, or even most of what you’re saying. But, if we’re talking about confirmation bias, consider that you’ve been digging through youtube comments to find a favorable explanation for why a gun that won’t even run unsuppressed suddenly looks gassy when a totally not gassy can is added. How much water vapor is in GSR, anyway? There’s very limited water in a 5.56 case vs a pint-glass volume human breath.
View Quote

Yeah I don't think the Surge Bypass cans are the best ever for everybody and every use, certainly.

I do appreciate checks to my own confirmation bias, that is one of the great strengths of this type of forum and it's important we articulate things the best we can. I do look at comments to see what others are perceiving, if I missed something, if there are any strong objections to the way things are presented, etc. In the case of perceived gassiness, and to some extent ejection angle, I think people need to be cautious and cognizant of environmental factors. People are drawing conclusions from video that aren't quite aligned with seemingly credible (best I can tell) user feedback of the people in the video. In this case, some think that visible gas out of the ejection port, regardless of temperature or humidity, means a notably gassy suppressor when at least one of the right-handed shooters in this video claimed he felt NO gas to his face while shooting. Water vapor is a product of combustion but I don't know how a 5.56 compares to a normal human breath.

For the record, I don't believe the Surge Bypass cans are equivalent in flow rate to something like a Huxwrx and I'm more skeptical of claims directly from CAT after seeing their Reddit comment posted earlier.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Yeah I don't think the Surge Bypass cans are the best ever for everybody and every use, certainly.

I do appreciate checks to my own confirmation bias, that is one of the great strengths of this type of forum and it's important we articulate things the best we can. I do look at comments to see what others are perceiving, if I missed something, if there are any strong objections to the way things are presented, etc. In the case of perceived gassiness, and to some extent ejection angle, I think people need to be cautious and cognizant of environmental factors. People are drawing conclusions from video that aren't quite aligned with seemingly credible (best I can tell) user feedback of the people in the video. In this case, some think that visible gas out of the ejection port, regardless of temperature or humidity, means a notably gassy suppressor when at least one of the right-handed shooters in this video claimed he felt NO gas to his face while shooting. Water vapor is a product of combustion but I don't know how a 5.56 compares to a normal human breath.

For the record, I don't believe the Surge Bypass cans are equivalent in flow rate to something like a Huxwrx and I'm more skeptical of claims directly from CAT after seeing their Reddit comment posted earlier.
View Quote

I agree with most of this also, but would like to point out that the reason I mentioned the water vapor production of a 5.56 round is because it is negligible. It is not a combustion product of the propellant. Can’t be….there’s no (few) hydrogen atoms. Water vapor would be pretty much limited to the amount sequestered inside the cartridge due to humidity. What you are seeing is smoke.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have experience with the CAT WB?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#5]

View Quote

Andrew of Otter Creek Labs, well respected in most regards, has said that the CAT can has more back pressure than the Huxwrx can, but that the CAT product was quieter. Interestingly enough, in that same Reddit thread, Jay of Pewscience said his data/testing confirmed it as well.

I believe that Andrew/OCL openly commenting on a competitor's performance is a good sign. If it was really all "hype" and nothing else, I dont see what scenario would prompt him to openly comment on that subject, especially to say that it performed better than another well-known and top performing brand.

As for the other things being discussed in here, I think TBAC's testing was interesting. Im intrigued that RF came on top in the shooter's ear metric, because Ive genuinely heard nothing else about their product so far, from anywhere else.

I also think that every social media or forum leans towards specific brands. A certain other forum that is highly loyal to TBAC, still isnt convinced enough to rush out and buy the RF cans after...so "repeatable" testing data alone is obviously not the be-all-end-all that some claim for it to be.

I'm naturally going to be skeptical whenever anyone publishes "data" that has a product to sell, whether it be memberships or suppressors, or something entirely in between.

What we really need is more businesses to do testing like this, so that we can compare notes and see who the overall majority "ranks" as best, whether its indoors, outdoors, or whatever other setup they deem appropriate. The popularity contests on brands are really fucking annoying, and the fact that people answer questions asking for recommendations, based on sample sizes of 1, and typically 0 exposure to competing brand products, is bad enough as it is.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AleksanderSuave:

Andrew of Otter Creek Labs, well respected in most regards, has said that the CAT can has more back pressure than the Huxwrx can, but that the CAT product was quieter. Interestingly enough, in that same Reddit thread, Jay of Pewscience said his data/testing confirmed it as well.

I believe that Andrew/OCL openly commenting on a competitor's performance is a good sign. If it was really all "hype" and nothing else, I dont see what scenario would prompt him to openly comment on that subject, especially to say that it performed better than another well-known and top performing brand.

As for the other things being discussed in here, I think TBAC's testing was interesting. Im intrigued that RF came on top in the shooter's ear metric, because Ive genuinely heard nothing else about their product so far, from anywhere else.

I also think that every social media or forum leans towards specific brands. A certain other forum that is highly loyal to TBAC, still isnt convinced enough to rush out and buy the RF cans after...so "repeatable" testing data alone is obviously not the be-all-end-all that some claim for it to be.

I'm naturally going to be skeptical whenever anyone publishes "data" that has a product to sell, whether it be memberships or suppressors, or something entirely in between.

What we really need is more businesses to do testing like this, so that we can compare notes and see who the overall majority "ranks" as best, whether its indoors, outdoors, or whatever other setup they deem appropriate. The popularity contests on brands are really fucking annoying, and the fact that people answer questions asking for recommendations, based on sample sizes of 1, and typically 0 exposure to competing brand products, is bad enough as it is.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Andrew has openly expressed that the Velos is good.

It is. I bought one. You see, I actually enjoy buying interesting new silencers, have the resources to do so, and am known to take a few gambles, which makes me the perfect target audience for this. But here we are, and I’m not buying. No one I know is, either. And despite all the kerfuffle, I’m also not seeing a stack of sales in this thread.

I think they may have squandered their future by being idiots. And I don’t see anything about their product that makes it special.

As for Pew, I’ve been a subscriber since the beginning, when they announced on TFB, another case of taking a risk on a new and unknown product. I did not renew my annual membership this year.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If it has higher back pressure than a flow through silencer it should compete with the rest of the market. CAT made some lofty claims early in this thread. Does their silencer's performance make up for their behavior, or even meet the expectation they set? It doesn't appear so. That doesn't mean it doesn't function at all. However, why should anyone give this product a second thought? If not for the drama they would be a foot note in the market place.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By thomasthetrain:
Anyone here with actual hands on experience with any of CAT’s suppressors? Have seen a lot of buzz about them but I’m hesitant to jump on the bandwagon when there are a lot of other excellent options.
View Quote

I have a cat odb718 its been great on my 20" 6.5 dd5, runs in the unsuppressed setting with out issue or difference in brace ejection on that platform. I've shot several mags back to back with out any noticeable hearing issues.

I'm going to get a 16" dd5 in 308 and another mount in the next few months.

I don't have an open 556 gun to put it on but have thought about building another 14.5-16" mid length for it but have just been committing more money to ammo than anything else lately.

I would say a main reason people with cat products don't come here to talk about them is because this is arfcom and frankly no one wants to be called a liar, deal with employees of other mfg's talking shit to them, and/or the generational shift away from online forms such as this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By heisman01:

I have a cat odb718 its been great on my 20" 6.5 dd5, runs in the unsuppressed setting with out issue or difference in brace ejection on that platform. I've shot several mags back to back with out any noticeable hearing issues.

I don't have an open 556 gun to put it on but have thought about building another 14.5-16" mid length for it but have just been committing more money to ammo than anything else lately.

I would say a main reason people with cat products don't come here to talk about them is because this is arfcom and frankly no one wants to be called a liar, deal with employees of other mfg's talking shit to them, and/or the generational shift away from online forms such as this.
View All Quotes
Anyone here with actual hands on experience with any of CAT’s suppressors? Have seen a lot of buzz about them but I’m hesitant to jump on the bandwagon when there are a lot of other excellent options.

No one has called them liars here. But if I did, it’d be because they made a claim about military use that I know isn’t true.

I’m glad you like yours. Even Hux and Velos increase bolt velocity…glad CAT cracked the code.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

More likely it's the nature of the product; They're meme cans and the buyers are likely younger with little experience. So far we have a paid for test that appears to misrepresent the actual performance and one or two videos that contradict the test. From the outside looking in, I don't see anything that supports the original implied ground breaking performance claims. I also don't see first hand accounts claiming ground breaking performance. It's odd there is very little information for all of the initial fanfare. Take a look at Dead Air, when they launch a product end users show up with reviews. Are CAT buyers just Zoomers that can't handle the internet or are there almost no CAT buyers?

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ian187:

If it has higher back pressure than a flow through silencer it should compete with the rest of the market.
View Quote

Considering that they dont call their suppressors "flow through", I'm not seeing your point? How exactly do they NOT compete with the rest of the market?

The surge bypass system has been explained as a "hybrid" design. The fact that it achieves near "flow-through" levels of backpressure is impressive. Its highly likely whatever other brand is your current favorite, isn't doing that either.

Also, you're jumping to conclusions in trying to oversimplify something that was said, and actually requires actually looking at data.

The fact that someone said that it has "more" backpressure than one of the lowest back-pressure cans on the market, does not magically make it equal to ALL cans on the market. It can still have more backpressure than a flow 7.62 TI, yet less than 10-15 other cans.

Thats where the data makes sense, and these types of exaggerated knee jerk reactions just end up sounding childish.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#13]
The Inconel WB looks pretty good on paper, and what little video of it that exists makes it seem pretty good. I have a similar mindset as 1168RGR, if it looks interesting I will be a first adopter of most firearms and suppressors. And if it wasn't for the clown car CAT decided to bring to the market I would have bought one without hesitation. Their initial (and current) warranty gives me pause as it leaves a lot of room for them to deny repair. I adopted a wait and see policy with CAT, and after almost half a year I am still waiting to SEE anything. The one positive point I will give CAT throughout all this is that they posted video of what the Ti cans look like at low light and were pretty upfront that they would be 4th of July shows with the sparks, a fact of Ti that other companies try and cover up.

As for their sales, they have actually posted the number of cans in their shipment to SS and I think the WB was about 400 cans with a 1:5 ratio of Inconcel:Ti. I'm not at all surprised the Inconcel cans (less than 100) sold out as fast as they did, but I am also surprised that the Ti cans are still available hinting that their overall sales are pretty low. I would note the last time they posted shipments about about 2 months ago, so they could have thrown more SS's way since. Also surprised that it remains available despite the recent run on cans with the faster approval times that has the majority of SS out of stock.

As for performance I would check out this playlist from Rooftop Defense. They test backpressure with a 100 round belt from an M249 comparing the rate of fire increase to an unsuppressed belt. Both the Velos and the Hux increased the fire rate by 4.2% while the RC3 increased it by 5.3%. To put into perspective, the RC2 increased it by 16.3%. The Velos has been a surprising newcomer to the low back pressure market, and from all the videos I have seen it performs very well in flash suppression. When I asked Rooftop Defense if they were going to test the WB and they said 'if we can actually get the Inconel version'

Considering that they dont call their suppressors "flow through", I'm not seeing your point? How exactly do they NOT compete with the rest of the market?

The surge bypass system has been explained as a "hybrid" design. The fact that it achieves near "flow-through" levels of backpressure is impressive. Its highly likely whatever other brand is your current favorite, isn't doing that either.
View Quote

They explicitly claimed it has less back pressure than the Hux Flow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#14]

or are there almost no CAT buyers?

View All Quotes

or are there almost no CAT buyers?

I think there are very few buyers. Everyone should note the lack of pics in this thread. And let’s not pretend that CAT’s fans aren’t perpetually on the internet and posting. With so little actual product out there, the internet is the only way to hear about them, anyway.

I do a shift occasionally at a local SOT, and none have come through there. It’s a SS dealer, and one of the largest volume in the state. And I’d bet this state accounts for an asymmetric number of cans in the US. Plenty of cans from other newish companies like Aero, Diligent, Otter, PTR, Resilient, etc. Plenty of printed and LBP cans, too. Like CGS and KAC.

I have a friend that runs a SOT and training company out of Columbia. He’s never heard of them.

I provide professional firearms training to LE/Gov/Mil, and was cadre for a regional SWAT competition this year (again), and work with international SOF, of which I’m alumni. I’m PRN cadre at a large training center that has a SOT. None of that is to brag, rather to point out that I see a fuckton of silencers. I’ve never seen a CAT silencer in person, nor have I even heard mention of them off the internet. They appear to be snow leopards outside of social media/youtube.

Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:
Velos has been a surprising newcomer to the low back pressure market, and from all the videos I have seen it performs very well in flash suppression.
It does. Much to my surprise.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pearsco] [#15]
Edit. Mistake
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pearsco] [#16]

View Quote

Question. Did you get the ODB in HUB or the spooky QD? If HUB do you know the distance from HUB face to the sacrificial baffle? Im waiting for my Form 3 to be approved and want to know know if a Rearden R2 will clear.

BTW, bang on with the last sentence. AFRCOM is considered somewhat of a joke in the gun community for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for sharing that. The Velos fits the bill for what I was interested in (low back pressure, Inconel construction).

I guess Ive got one more to add to the list to check out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#18]
Originally Posted By pearsco:

AFRCOM is considered somewhat of a joke in the gun community for a reason.
View Quote

So is Reddit, yet here you are on both, and asking our opinions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:57:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pearsco] [#19]

So is Reddit, yet here you are on both, and asking our opinions.
View Quote

"our"?  No, no, no sir you are mistaken. After reading the last few pages of your tired, boring, whining I really couldn't care less about YOUR opinion.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#20]

"our"?  No, no, no sir you are mistaken. After reading the last few pages of your tired, boring, whining I really couldn't care less about YOUR opinion.
View Quote

? Someone sounds mad about not getting the answer they want.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

This boy about to make a post on Reddit about being bullied on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pearsco] [#22]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

? Someone sounds mad about not getting the answer they want.
View Quote

Im sure this sounded much smarter in your head than when you typed it out on the keyboard...

Lets review, I only have 4 posts with this account so it should be easy to follow ..

Me: Hey Person #1, do you know these measurements on the can you own, BTW you are right that ARFCOM has a rep for being a dumpster fire

Person #2: YeA BUt YEr Heeere AsKiN Ur "OpInIons"!

Me: WTF? Im asking guy number #1 for can measurements. Not your "opinion" on a product you boast you have never even seen in all your years training Seal Team 6 (like thats somehow means something I guess?).

You: "Cant follow the conversation and inserts comment in attempt to appear witty"

... I swear its a self fulfilling prophecy around here. Git it together guys, you're making us look bad out there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

That’s too bad.  Thin skin isn’t a virtue in either love, war, or commerce. A certain mfg / owner used to take a lot of shit here for (IMHO) stupid perceptions reasons but he stuck around.  In the interim we’ve seen good conversations, improving designs, innovation and a broad exchange of ideas and end user values versus commercial realities. Actually I’ve seen 3 such cases here.

The business folks who haven’t stuck around in my estimation have also displayed both market & technical fuck ups, but correlation doesn’t prove causation. Ultimately quality & customer satisfaction speak for themselves.  So I keep an open mind about CAT but so far nobody in my local orbit has indulged themselves.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wavebywave] [#24]
Waiting on a 718 ODB hub form3 to clear as well. I asked cat the same question. They quickly sent me a diagram that shows that distance from hub shoulder to blast baffle as 1.65”. I plan to use an atlas and Rearden’s double port break which has an overrun length of 1.60”. If your overrun length with atlas and MD is less than 1.65” you’re g2g.

Edit: only a few posts here, didn’t quote, and don’t know how to tag Pearsco without quoting his original comment and reposting.  .
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Question. Did you get the ODB in HUB or the spooky QD? If HUB do you know the distance from HUB face to the sacrificial baffle? Im waiting for my Form 3 to be approved and want to know know if a Rearden R2 will clear.

BTW, bang on with the last sentence. AFRCOM is considered somewhat of a joke in the gun community for a reason.
View Quote

Answered your question above but failed to quote you. 1.65”.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Sugar_Weasel] [#26]
Also have one on form 3. Once it comes in I plan to compare it to my Liberty precision machine Torch and my Huxworks flow 556k.

I'm pretty hyped to hear it. I don't think it'll be revolutionary but I think it'll sound about as good as the Torch, while being 2oz lighter, inconel, and .7 inches shorter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I got the spooky as its supposed to give the best performance and I'm only going to pass this can across 2 to maybe 3 hosts max being all 6.5/308.

Also a silencer shop dealer who works part time for a LGS, cat had around 400 obd718's and I think the same number of wb718's and TI versions of both models. They sold out minus a few TI's in under 30 minutes when silencer shop screwed up the original release.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Been following this thread out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Neither here nor there, but I remember not too long ago when sintered metal MIM parts were, "your funeral." Now apparently sintered metal is the greatest thing ever since it can be done by additive manufacturing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:09:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#29]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

That’s too bad.  Thin skin isn’t a virtue in either love, war, or commerce. A certain mfg / owner used to take a lot of shit here for (IMHO) stupid perceptions reasons but he stuck around.  In the interim we’ve seen good conversations, improving designs, innovation and a broad exchange of ideas and end user values versus commercial realities. Actually I’ve seen 3 such cases here.

The business folks who haven’t stuck around in my estimation have also displayed both market & technical fuck ups, but correlation doesn’t prove causation. Ultimately quality & customer satisfaction speak for themselves.  So I keep an open mind about CAT but so far nobody in my local orbit has indulged themselves.
View Quote

Just depends on the audience. A certain manufacturer that continues to contribute here, gets openly mocked on another large forum I belong to. Occasionally they still get mocked here too, but arfcom seems to have warmed up to them over time.

There's a niche for every demographic, but if I owned a business in this industry and had to choose between "arguing with trolls on the internet" and just making product and focusing on selling it, the idea that former came with the potential of "more sales" wouldnt exactly excite me towards wading through the shit pile either.

If the bulk of product they have sent to SS is sold out, minus the obviously mentioned examples of titanium (which was produced in higher volume to begin with), then they have valuable launch feedback from the market already. They need to increase Inconel production volume, and move some away from titanium. I dont know that spending time arguing with people here or on reddit, would provide them any more valuable feedback at this point.

Maybe they need to drop the price of titanium (or raise the price of Inconel more) if they want people to consider buying it instead of Inconel, while its OOS. IMO, the $100 premium for Inconel is a pricing mistake. Most people will gladly spend $100 more for a product that can potentially withstand double the temps of their TI can, and spark less...but once again...is that the feedback they're going to get from the current discussions? Probably not, based on what I've read so far. The weight difference doesnt seem to be selling as many people towards the titanium can either...most casual shooters I know aren't even looking at that, unless they hunt.

Weight and balance should be more important on K cans but the bulk of the casual shooters I know buying them, have nothing to compare to, to begin with, to even think that matters.

Also, I'll repeat my previous question. We have a handful of people calling out PewScience for their test results of multiple CAT products, yet no one seems to find it odd that TBAC's sound summit had similarly unbelievable results for the RF cans.

That doesnt sound like a group searching for data transparency OR scientific repeatability. Why isn't anyone else screaming about RF's cans not being tested by other sources, and producing the same results?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By wavebywave:
Waiting on a 718 ODB hub form3 to clear as well. I asked cat the same question. They quickly sent me a diagram that shows that distance from hub shoulder to blast baffle as 1.65”. I plan to use an atlas and Rearden’s double port break which has an overrun length of 1.60”. If your overrun length with atlas and MD is less than 1.65” you’re g2g.

Edit: only a few posts here, didn’t quote, and don’t know how to tag Pearsco without quoting his original comment and reposting.  .
View Quote

Thank you very much sir! Looks like I wont be able to fit a P/W R2 with ECCO low profile hub adapter if this is the case.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Thank you very much sir! Looks like I wont be able to fit a P/W R2 with ECCO low profile hub adapter if this is the case.
View Quote

Here’s the diagram itself.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericaJr] [#32]

Pic assist
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Just depends on the audience. A certain manufacturer that continues to contribute here, gets openly mocked on another large forum I belong to. Occasionally they still get mocked here too, but arfcom seems to have warmed up to them over time.

There's a niche for every demographic, but if I owned a business in this industry and had to choose between "arguing with trolls on the internet" and just making product and focusing on selling it, the idea that former came with the potential of "more sales" wouldnt exactly excite me towards wading through the shit pile either.

If the bulk of product they have sent to SS is sold out, minus the obviously mentioned examples of titanium (which was produced in higher volume to begin with), then they have valuable launch feedback from the market already. They need to increase Inconel production volume, and move some away from titanium. I dont know that spending time arguing with people here or on reddit, would provide them any more valuable feedback at this point.

Maybe they need to drop the price of titanium (or raise the price of Inconel more) if they want people to consider buying it instead of Inconel, while its OOS. IMO, the $100 premium for Inconel is a pricing mistake. Most people will gladly spend $100 more for a product that can potentially withstand double the temps of their TI can, and spark less...but once again...is that the feedback they're going to get from the current discussions? Probably not, based on what I've read so far. The weight difference doesnt seem to be selling as many people towards the titanium can either...most casual shooters I know aren't even looking at that, unless they hunt.

Weight and balance should be more important on K cans but the bulk of the casual shooters I know buying them, have nothing to compare to, to begin with, to even think that matters.

Also, I'll repeat my previous question. We have a handful of people calling out PewScience for their test results of multiple CAT products, yet no one seems to find it odd that TBAC's sound summit had similarly unbelievable results for the RF cans.

That doesnt sound like a group searching for data transparency OR scientific repeatability. Why isn't anyone else screaming about RF's cans not being tested by other sources, and producing the same results?
View Quote

I’m not following. Who is RF?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#34]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I actually spent some time going through the sound summit data  yesterday evening. Not to get too off topic, but I had a question I’m hoping someone familiar with the summit’s shared info/files, as well as PewScience’s typical member data/analysis, could answer for me.

With the summit’s data, is the info available from any test subject on any given host to grab shot 1 and 2 pressure wave forms from zero to 100ms, at ear, similar to Pew’s Figure 3B? To me, it’s one of the most meaningful and it would be interesting to compare similar data over a similar time scale from the Summit’s testing. I haven’t spent much time at all yet with the Summit’s data and want to know from someone experienced with its results if this is possible. Thanks in advance.

PS. Thanks above for the pic assist.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wavebywave:
I actually spent some time going through the sound summit data  yesterday evening. Not to get too off topic, but I had a question I’m hoping someone familiar with the summit’s shared info/files, as well as PewScience’s typical member data/analysis, could answer for me.

With the summit’s data, is the info available from any test subject on any given host to grab shot 1 and 2 pressure wave forms from zero to 100ms, at ear, similar to Pew’s Figure 3B? To me, it’s one of the most meaningful and it would be interesting to compare similar data over a similar time scale from the Summit’s testing. I haven’t spent much time at all yet with the Summit’s data and want to know from someone experienced with its results if this is possible. Thanks in advance.

PS. Thanks above for the pic assist.

View Quote

I also wish the Summit data stretched to 100ms in order to compare BCG return to battery, although weapon fouling would likely come into play if the host wasn't cleaned intermittently. The wall reflections that the Summit was careful to separate begin at about the same point that many host/suppressor combos show return to battery in PEW's data. There are limitations to testing in a barn after all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:43:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#37]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

CAT described it as less pressure than the Flow here, its just not in the word soup description on their website. Everyone who has made a video of this thing also states its 'low back pressure' but every video shows the gas coming from the ejection port looks like the gas I would see out of my RC2.
View Quote

I just found something interesting. Looking at the entire comment thread without your selected quote, CAT says "Correct. HUX Flow has more forward flow than CAT WB but has worst [sic] sound and blast propagation."

This comment was made BEFORE the one UMP45 linked to, in the same conversation. I honestly think that CAT rep got sloppy and said "lower" rather than "higher" when talking WB vs FLOW back pressure.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, I saw that comment as well and could see why their other statement seems confusing. I've followed them for some time now, have asked them many questions directly, and it doesn't seem they like they're trying to hide the ball at all on back pressure comparisons as they've stated many times that surge bypass isn't intended to create the lease amount of blowback. Frankly, I'm glad that is the case as Hux's flow through tech possess cons that don't appeal to me. To note, even Hux increased gas restriction on their flow 762 ti (which is why it's muzzle suppression, per Pew, increased significantly over the flow 556k).

To me, the below behaviors associated with the ODB on the mk18 from Pew's testing/report seem groundbreaking - all while performing like a highly restrictive Enticer L on subsonic 300 BO. Comparing the figures/charts he references in the member reviews for each can mentioned in the below 4 points against the ODB is really interesting.

1. It possesses the gross muzzle signature suppression characteristics of a high performance dedicated bore 5.56mm silencer on this short barrel weapon system, like a Surefire SOCOM556-RC2 (6.52).

2. It produces signature consistency with extremely controlled gas momentum, like an Otter Creek Labs Polonium (6.75).

3. It produces low-amplitude FRP impulse accumulation like a Thunder Beast Dominus (6.105).

4. Finally, it produces weapon kinematics similar to Flow Through silencers such as the HUXWRX FLOW 556k (6.83) and HUXWRX FLOW 762 Ti (6.114).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:01:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#39]
Originally Posted By Green0:

I would assume Radical Firearms.  The reality of that testing event was that some of the products that showed up like the Raptor that did so well were prototypes that were longer than the production models, so that was one small way that some of the data is confusing, though not really intended by TBAC.  So maybe if people can't confirm the numbers on a can, it might be because that can was a prototype.  Another way would be if the RF can was a standard can and the people talking were spreading misinformation.

We also didn't bring a BW .46, but one was tested in some non-std config and really tested poorly, and that was not good data because the G2 can is actually one of the better .46 cans on the market and when cans can just show up from who knows who, that leaves room for shit to be tailored to fuck with companies.  Contrary to the good nature of people there are some hacks in this industry that have low moral character, and at times nefarious intent.  

We didn't bring any cans that weren't ours, and if we had some reason to, we would make damn sure they were decent examples of those products, in standard market sold configurations.  

One of the more ludicrous arguments used to cast aspersions on TBAC's Silence Summit was that it was like a closed door event among friends.  Whoever suggested that really doesn't understand the suppressor industry.  

I haven't really seen much "friendly behavior" myself.  I think the reality is they brought together a bunch of market competitors to test stuff in one place at one time.  That eliminated environmental and equipment variables by establishing a control set of equipment and a controlled atmospheric environment for the testing.
View Quote

Correct. Radical Firearms/Rf/Radical Defense. I appreciate the insight regarding it being a prototype, as that information wasn’t provided anywhere I saw so it would have been nice to know.

I feel like prototypes in general should be excluded from these types of tests. It allows a brand to build one that is cost-prohibitive to produce and sell, solely for the purpose of cheating on a test…not implying that was the case here or accusing anyone of it either, just stating the obvious.

What was the non-standard configuration on the bushwhacker? I’m curious as I’m looking at it specifically for my 350 legend hunting setup.

I agree with your point about no one should have brought competitors cans, if it wasn’t in the spirit of true competition.

If a brand has pride in their product, they would want to test it against the best competitors in their peak performance, not the other way around.

I also don’t see this as a “friendly event” just based on the fact that Jay wasn’t invited. I think TBAC would have done a lot more for their brand, to negative questioning into the validity of their testing overall, and as an added benefit to the consumers and greater industry to say “we invited the guy we openly don’t agree with”,  potentially to comment on or inspect their methodology for his own fan base. Whether he chose to attend or not, would have been his own choosing then.

I could be wrong but I also believe that their testing was specifically done indoors? Which adds another layer to the complexity of comparisons for most average shoppers.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#40]

I also wish the Summit data stretched to 100ms in order to compare BCG return to battery, although weapon fouling would likely come into play if the host wasn't cleaned intermittently. The wall reflections that the Summit was careful to separate begin at about the same point that many host/suppressor combos show return to battery in PEW's data. There are limitations to testing in a barn after all.
View Quote

I actually am curious about testing other ramifications of suppressor use, and I kinda think seeing the data about the wall reflections would be interesting. The question I have is this: is there a linear, or otherwise consistent, relationship between the peak dB of a gunshot from a suppressed host, and the "reflected" dB, or can a suppressor's design result in a less "reflective" noise? I'm wondering if there's a difference between high pitch and low pitch cans, and if cans with flash hiding endcaps result in lower "reflection". Overall I'd love to see more quantitative testing in different areas of performance, including flash hiding, glow under NV, cool down time, etc...

I doubt we can have a single source for all this information, and it would require a variety of trusted sources performing independent tests, but generally I think a more informed consumer is a more disciplined consumer, and I think having information on these other areas of can performance would be valuable in people making suppressor decisions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

I actually am curious about testing other ramifications of suppressor use, and I kinda think seeing the data about the wall reflections would be interesting. The question I have is this: is there a linear, or otherwise consistent, relationship between the peak dB of a gunshot from a suppressed host, and the "reflected" dB, or can a suppressor's design result in a less "reflective" noise? I'm wondering if there's a difference between high pitch and low pitch cans, and if cans with flash hiding endcaps result in lower "reflection". Overall I'd love to see more quantitative testing in different areas of performance, including flash hiding, glow under NV, cool down time, etc...

I doubt we can have a single source for all this information, and it would require a variety of trusted sources performing independent tests, but generally I think a more informed consumer is a more disciplined consumer, and I think having information on these other areas of can performance would be valuable in people making suppressor decisions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NewWind:

That's a good point about reflection data. Jay has mentioned an interest in doing some testing like that, though it probably wouldn't be a new regular feature considering how many cans he's tested already. CAT has suggested they take this into consideration with their designs, but I also wonder if that isn't just by using a "hybrid" design that has lower muzzle signature than a high-flow can or if there is something more complex going on with the sound waves produced.

We are starting to see more videos that demonstrate flash and glow. I'm satisfied with high quality video of these traits because they are visible by definition. I think trying to measure the lux/whatever would add unneeded complexity and could be misleading.

This is actually in CAT's WB manual for the titanium version, and some results have been shown on Instagram:
C.A.T recommends WB Titanium users invest in an infrared thermometer and create their own platform
specific firing schedule, based on ammunition and barrel length. It is recommended to create this firing
schedule by shooting five round groups, with one second intervals between rounds, then testing the
temperature of the suppressor up to 550°F (288°C). At this operating temperature, the user should record
the amount of time until the suppressor returns to 150°F (65°C). This would become the baseline firing
schedule based on the user’s platform and ammunition type.

Having more info about all these parameters definitely benefits the consumer, but definitely not manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#42]
Anyone scientifically literate and possessing a calculator can determine the effects of the wall reflection. Which are further away than ground reflection typically is, and thus more delayed. You don’t need a waveform for that, anymore than you need an EKG to determine if someone has a pulse.

It’s funny that we’re all capable of digesting $10 phrases like FRP propagation, but not able to calculate things that would be covered in middle school.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone scientifically literate and possessing a calculator can determine the effects of the wall reflection. Which are further away than ground reflection typically is, and thus more delayed. You don’t need a waveform for that, anymore than you need an EKG to determine if someone has a pulse.

It’s funny that we’re all capable of digesting $10 phrases like FRP propagation, but not able to calculate things that would be covered in middle school.
View Quote

While the pursuit of knowledge is amazing, what you said perfectly illustrates the problem of majoring in the minors.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Reflections are subject to inverse square law attenuation as well as absorption and frequency filtering effects.  Up against a hard wall is a different experience than the stand-off distances where the ear perceives discrete reflections. So is shooting prone from the ground.  Thus a hearing safe “dosing score” is itself of variable value for broad use cases other than providing an ordinal ranking for close sounding cans.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:28:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Reflections are subject to inverse square law attenuation as well as absorption and frequency filtering effects.  Up against a hard wall is a different experience than the stand-off distances where the ear perceives discrete reflections. So is shooting prone from the ground.  Thus a hearing safe “dosing score” is itself of variable value for broad use cases other than providing an ordinal ranking for close sounding cans.
View Quote

Agreed.

For Pew fans, Jay would know this well, because wall reflections must be accounted for in explosive calculations, also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Green0:

I don’t really share the opinion that Jay had to be invited to be an open event for industry manufacturers.  Jay isn’t a manufacturer.  His work has largely upset the industry methods of testing and has created a lot of work for everyone.  There isn’t a very efficient process for doing the new testing, and it is harder to consume for both manufacturers and consumers.

View Quote

So who in the industry was releasing actual testing data prior to his work, as opposed to "marketing"? I can understand why it would upset many in the industry. Until there's a standardized testing protocol that the manufacturers as a majority agree to, Jay's work will likely continue to upset them.

This is a reflection of the state of the industry, more so than Jay's antagonism/interference (whatever you want to call it) in it. If the suppressor industry didnt want an outsider (Re: non-manufacturer) to develop a test to rank others by, then they should have agreed to a testing standard amongst themselves first, to prevent that from happening.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#48]
They could invite a social media influencer to report on the Sound Summit stuff, but inviting one of the few people openly pushing for better testing wasn’t important? I would have rather seen Jay there instead of The Gun Collective.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#49]

While the pursuit of knowledge is amazing, what you said perfectly illustrates the problem of majoring in the minors.
View All Quotes

I did earn a Bachelor of Science with honors at one point but it's been a while, maybe I'm not scientifically literate anymore. My discipline didn't go much into sound waves so I wasn't going to just assume things about reflected sound waves and that the free field waveform is all we would need to know. If that's the case, very well.

If the dosing scores are of variable value and only apply to the free field testing, do you think there is anything to gain by more in-depth testing with (more) reflective surfaces? Would you expect the ordinal rankings to be the same?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#50]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
They could invite a social media influencer to report on the Sound Summit stuff, but inviting one of the few people openly pushing for better testing wasn’t important? I would have rather seen Jay there instead of The Gun Collective.
View Quote

I thought Jay was invited to the Summit but turned it down. Didn't want to assist people cutting into his monopoly?
Page / 16
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 12 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top