BCM
User Panel

CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 4 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:

EA has the serial numbered ring that might make a lot of sense in conjunction with 3D printing. Just cutoff the 3D printed baffle stack and weld on a new one. Even without a dedicated ring, it seems like that would be feasible with more intelligent SN placement near the base. If they engraved circumferentially near the base rather than axially along the length of the suppressor tube, it would be almost unimaginable to damage the SN.

Even if the manufacturer went out of business, could someone like ECCO just cutoff the baffle stack and weld on a tubeless baffle stack if you somehow damaged your 3D printed can (assuming the SN were undamaged)?
View Quote

I had a Rex can get a baffle strike on my m11. Rex cut off the stack from the serialized portions and welded on a new stack.

The EA ring is a great idea as well.

I’d be fine with something like that on a 3D printed can.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Embittered:
I think it’s a question we shouldn’t press or concern ourselves with so long as the objects in question are replaced and functional without government agents coming to retrieve it years down the line.
View Quote

Agreed one hundred percent. Don’t flick the bull’s nuts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Tier 1 Retarded.  Or is that Tiertarded?

"...but we live in those back alleys of the world, those dirty streets where bad things happen and you bleed out slowly. We were taught to cut throats, to survive and thrive."

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By spot-remover:

"...but we live in those back alleys of the world, those dirty streets where bad things happen and you bleed out slowly. We were taught to cut throats, to survive and thrive."

View Quote

Where is that quote from?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover] [#5]

Where is that quote from?
View Quote

Their website.

The little bit I could take is equally hilarious.  I didn't even make it to the cans.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

That’s goofy and embarrassing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

See. That’s the stuff that turns me off …
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The whole free stamp thing is a gimmick.

We are all adults here. I know I’m paying for the stamp in the purchase price. It’s not like the company or store front is taking $200 out of their own pocket to pay the stamp for me.

This stunt isn’t regulated to this company alone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Green0:

It seemed that way when I read it.  It was like one of those awkward moments in a movie where you feel embarrassed for seeing the awkward moment.
View Quote

Stuff like that can be funny if said with a stern face. Then smile and laugh at its goofiness but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

The whole thing just seems “airsofty” to me. Like the company owner asked his 12yo son to come up with the marketing strategy and advertising.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:

Well the price stayed the same, so it effectively went up $200 for the stamp.
View Quote

Retards
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Retards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Well the price stayed the same, so it effectively went up $200 for the stamp.

Retards

ROR
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:49:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: peachy] [#17]
Originally Posted By Green0:

It seemed that way when I read it.  It was like one of those awkward moments in a movie where you feel embarrassed for seeing the awkward moment.
View Quote

That is a good description. I definitely feel embarrassment for them based on that excerpt.

If they are a branch of an Asian company, maybe there is a cultural disconnect explaining some of the cringe. I’ve heard some say it is parody of other silencer company marketing efforts, but it’s not really landing for me personally.

Given that they are seemingly scrambling to build a presence on the fly, I think either A) their original social media launch was premature/unauthorized or B) it was met with an unanticipated negative reception, either of which has left them scrambling to get their shit together. I can’t imagine this cluster of a marketing campaign is how any serious entrant would plan to put their best foot forward.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#18]

That is a good description. I definitely feel embarrassment for them based on that excerpt.

If they are a branch of an Asian company, maybe there is a cultural disconnect explaining some of the cringe. I’ve heard some say it is parody of other silencer company marketing efforts, but it’s not really landing for me personally.

Given that they are seemingly scrambling to build a presence on the fly, I think either A) their original social media launch was premature/unauthorized or B) it was met with an unanticipated negative reception, either of which has left them scrambling to get their shit together. I can’t imagine this cluster of a marketing campaign is how any serious entrant would plan to put their best foot forward.
View Quote

All of this & with all the American companies that make excellent silencers I have a difficult time  sending money to a company based in Singapore.  I’d rather spend $ with Hux, Griffin, SiCo, EA, TBAC or any number of fantastic silencer companies based in the US.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:39:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#20]

While I believe Wain Research is a Singapore company, it's CEO (maybe...?) is the South African connection I found. I'm not going to mention any individual's names, but that person is an entrepreneur and previously worked at marketing firms. It certainly is possible as CAT suggests that Wain Research is a company set up by a T1 defense contractor, and they picked a marketing/business guy to run it for commercial/consumer purposes. I haven't been able to find anything beyond Wain Research at this point other than a connection to Allied Operations Group, which again, I can't find anything about. The name is so generic that it makes searching it difficult.

I too believe they started their marketing campaign too early. Leaving almost 2 months after hyping it up, people will forget about it or get tired of hearing about it by the Oct 2 release. If it turns out that they are not associated with a defense contractor at all, I'm sure they'll just say it was all a joke (and so truth did not matter).

View Quote

Every time someone says T1, I throw up in my mouth a little. Its the cringiest.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

It's case by case, but we tend to shy away from 3D printed can alterations and repairs, especially those that would require welding.  3D printed/DMLS parts are structurally pretty much the same as cast or MIM, and that often means some voids, cracks or inclusions that you do not find in forged or billet parts.  When you start welding on these things, it can get real interesting, and not in a good way.  Trapped air, moisture, chemicals, binder will cause the welds to blow out, and the heat can cause cracks to form/grow.   Cracking during weldment can happen with a number of alloys, forcing the use of fillers, preheating, controlled cooling, etc.  Inconel is one of them (always fun when we have to put a dirty fractured AAC core back together).   But with cast, MIM or 3D printed stuff, alloys that normally do not have those considerations suddenly do.

There's also the way they're built that often complicates things.  The "advantages" of being able to print features and geometry that cannot be machined often results in exterior designs having a "negative" on the inside, so with something like flutes that would be cut in a tube or billet blast chamber which is still round on the inside, 3D printed ones sometimes have the inside fluted as well, which can leave us with something that we can't thread and really can't weld properly either.  Plus carbon and copper deposits in the rough texture that can't be easily cleaned out and require further material removal.  

I won't say that we can't or don't do work on 3D printed cans, but we go into it with great skepticism and err on the side of caution.
View Quote

Thanks for that insight.

I hadn’t considered the void-heavy nature of 3DP.  That said, I have to believe that the printers are running in an inert-gas environment (or else their original welds would be shit) so, if the voids were created in an inert atmosphere, and you welded to them in a good gas flow, I’d think it would be like welding really rough, but really clean, metal. It’s interesting that you’ve found that to not be the case.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

View All Quotes

While I believe Wain Research is a Singapore company, it's CEO (maybe...?) is the South African connection I found. I'm not going to mention any individual's names, but that person is an entrepreneur and previously worked at marketing firms. It certainly is possible as CAT suggests that Wain Research is a company set up by a T1 defense contractor, and they picked a marketing/business guy to run it for commercial/consumer purposes. I haven't been able to find anything beyond Wain Research at this point other than a connection to Allied Operations Group, which again, I can't find anything about. The name is so generic that it makes searching it difficult.

I too believe they started their marketing campaign too early. Leaving almost 2 months after hyping it up, people will forget about it or get tired of hearing about it by the Oct 2 release. If it turns out that they are not associated with a defense contractor at all, I'm sure they'll just say it was all a joke (and so truth did not matter).

Yup ... but people eat that stuff up man
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#24]
The cat's coming full circle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:26:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Leicafan1990] [#26]
With the Pewscience data dropping this morning, this absolutely seems like the 30cal can to beat at the moment. I know the marketing turned a lot of people off but the performance seems to be extremely impressive. I would put this a notch above the Flow 762 because it’s available in inconel and comes with hub mount threads. If this company can maintain excellent QC and keep up with the demand, I think they have a serious hit on their hands.

Going back and reading this thread is honestly pretty hilarious in hindsight. The fact that CGS was willing to put their neck on the line for this company should have been a clue that this was legit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Leicafan1990:
With the Pewscience data dropping this morning, this absolutely seems like the 30cal can to beat at the moment. I know the marketing turned a lot of people off but the performance seems to be extremely impressive. I would put this a notch above the Flow 762 because it’s available in inconel and comes with hub mount threads. If this company can maintain excellent QC and keep up with the demand, I think they have a serious hit on their hands.

Going back and reading this thread is honestly pretty hilarious in hindsight. The fact that CGS was willing to put their neck on the line for this company should have been a clue that this was legit.
View Quote

I would still like to know whose purse I am filling ... sure ... it supports jobs here to a degree ... but where does the money ultimately end up... their unwillingness to clear that up should tell you that the American public wouldn't like it ...
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#28]
With the Pewscience data advertisement dropping this morning, this absolutely seems like the 30cal can to beat at the moment. I know the marketing turned a lot of people off but the performance seems to be extremely impressive. I would put this a notch above the Flow 762 because it’s available in inconel and comes with hub mount threads. If this company can maintain excellent QC and keep up with the demand, I think they have a serious hit on their hands.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like the new CAT scored 36.7 Kelevens on the PEWSSR and 29.5/35.4 Kelevens on the ARSSP.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

I would still like to know whose purse I am filling ... sure ... it supports jobs here to a degree ... but where does the money ultimately end up... their unwillingness to clear that up should tell you that the American public wouldn't like it ...
View Quote

And yet Holosun sells a fuck ton of red dots here in the states and it’s extremely obvious that most of that money goes directly into the pockets of the Chinese government.

Yes, CAT is likely a foreign-based company but the cans are being manufactured here and CGS is handling all the sales and service so that is frankly American enough for many of us.

They obviously have some very smart people working for them and the performance is especially noteworthy. I think we should take this company very seriously. I think that’s why they are being borderline reckless with the marketing. They know they have the product to back it up and they will probably struggle to keep up with the demand so why not fuck around a little for laughs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#31]
……..
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

View Quote

Ah, you’re one of those guys. That tells me everything I need to know.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Ah, you’re one of those guys. That tells me everything I need to know.
View Quote

Lol go back to Reddit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Lol go back to Reddit.
View Quote

Reddit sucks. Also, what does this have to do with Reddit? Stay on point.

Are we seriously still debating the legitimacy of Jay’s data in 2023? This is absolutely absurd. The only companies trying to undermine his credibility are those companies that want total control over the tests and the data released to the public because they know their products have been recently surpassed by more innovative designs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I may be in the minority but I honestly don’t give a hoot what pew has to say. He has setup a neat little business for himself but it’s just that a business.

I’d rather hear things first hand and make my own decisions.

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Are we seriously still debating the legitimacy of Jay’s data in 2023? This is absolutely absurd. The only companies trying to undermine his credibility are those companies that want total control over the tests and the data released to the public because they know their products have been recently surpassed by more innovative designs.
View All Quotes

Lol go back to Reddit.

It's because theirs nothing to debate. Jay's "data" is interesting dosage data with a Jesus complex backed by a cult following.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Can you share any peer reviews to validate his legitimacy?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

On an unknown muzzle device that Jay was vague about when asked directly this morning on Reddit/NFA. Just another example of why his testing isn’t a quality standard. Accurately describing the pedigree of the unit under test is basic test report discipline.
View Quote

It’s a 3 prong flash hider from a different company, probably a product that hasn’t been announced yet by it’s manufacturer.

Who cares honestly? It’s a hub mount so people will be using a shit ton of different muzzles devices on this can anyways. And he isn’t using the same muzzle device on every can he tests so it’s pretty irrelevant. Jay said the performance of this this design isn’t really affected at all by changes in the mount so I don’t understand this criticism to be honest. Just seems like nitpicking for the sake of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:13:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#39]
Are we seriously still debating the legitimacy of Jay’s data in 2023? This is absolutely absurd.
View Quote

Because Jay is a business that accepts money for non-peer reviewable data. As long as he insists on keeping his rating methods proprietary, it is 'trust me bro' science.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#40]
In an effort to keep this on track-
Another can over 7" and weighs 16oz without a mount? Pass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bully13:

View Quote

Are there any other 3rd party testing companies that are competing with him? It’s like your blaming him for not having competition to validate his data.

Here’s a more important question. Are there any cans he has published data on that performed very well in his tests but that same suppressor frequently gets poor subjective reviews from owners?

You could question the data if his results weren’t lining up with subjective opinions but that doesn’t seem to be happening. For example, I haven’t seen Sage Dynamics and PewScience disagree on whether a can is good or not. One reviewer is entirely subjective and the other is data driven but their conclusions are largely the same.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:19:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#42]

Are there any other 3rd party testing companies that are competing with him? It’s like your blaming him for not having competition to validate his data.

Here’s a more important question. Are there any cans he has published data on that performed very well in his tests but that same suppressor frequently gets poor subjective reviews from owners?

You could question the data if his results weren’t lining up with subjective opinions but that doesn’t seem to be happening. For example, I haven’t seen Sage Dynamics and PewScience disagree on whether a can is good or not. One reviewer is entirely subjective and the other is data driven but their conclusions are largely the same.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bully13:

Dude. Stop. We understand you like pew... good for you. The only person here not providing facts is you.

And yes. The oss/hux cans. A lot of dudes see his tests and think the can is actually going to be quiet. It's not.

I also remember a CGS can he "helped" develop that was supposed to be the game changer. It wasn't
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing? As long as his methods are not shared there's no way for anybody to validate it.

My limited experience with cans he's reviewed don't confirm his ratings, but there's a lot factors to be considered
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

Because Jay is a business that accepts money for non-peer reviewable data. As long as he insists on keeping his rating methods proprietary, it is 'trust me bro' science.
View Quote

He describes his testing method in detail on his website: https://pewscience.com/silencer-sound-standard

Yes, some of his evaluation software is proprietary but  if it was 100% open source, then companies would just bypass him completely and copy his testing methods. But that opens up the possibility for the companies to manipulate or fabricate their data for marketing purposes.

He’s putting in the work so he should be paid for it. There isn’t anything wrong with trying to protect your creation from copycats. That why patents exist.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#45]

He describes his testing method in detail on his website: https://pewscience.com/silencer-sound-standard

Yes, some of his evaluation software is proprietary but  if it was 100% open source, then companies would just bypass him completely and copy his testing methods. But that opens up the possibility for the companies to manipulate or fabricate their data for marketing purposes.

He’s putting in the work so he should be paid for it. There isn’t anything wrong with trying to protect your creation from copycats. That why patents exist.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

Read that again.

And again.

And again.

Then it's not scientific-it's 100% bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:35:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#46]

View Quote

You’ve just described “science” perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:37:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pomyluy] [#47]

View Quote

I'll reserve judgement till Jay publishes the rest of his results. Its performance appears to be very good, but not even remotely the game-changer CAT's marketing makes it out to be. It's literally on par with the Flow 762, not a class above.

View Quote

CGS Mod 9 FS for one. High backpressure makes it miserable to shoot on a lot of hosts, and makes it sound great to bystanders but not so much to the shooter. Often has severe accuracy issues (likely due to crappy piston springs) as well. Plenty of owners have experienced these problems, myself included.

You’ve just described “science” perfectly.
View Quote

The reviews are now referred to as "whitepapers" which makes it real science. Someone asked on Reddit a day or two ago what a Pew Science membership actually netted you in terms of additional data - the official response was "email me and we can discuss this further", is it really so hard to just answer a straight question?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:37:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#48]

And yet Holosun sells a fuck ton of red dots here in the states and it’s extremely obvious that most of that money goes directly into the pockets of the Chinese government.

Yes, CAT is likely a foreign-based company but the cans are being manufactured here and CGS is handling all the sales and service so that is frankly American enough for many of us.

They obviously have some very smart people working for them and the performance is especially noteworthy. I think we should take this company very seriously. I think that’s why they are being borderline reckless with the marketing. They know they have the product to back it up and they will probably struggle to keep up with the demand so why not fuck around a little for laughs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thehun06:

and I don't buy Holosun anymore ...

Again ... it matters to some of us where the pockets are being lined ... I am not discounting their product ... appears to be working really well ... but the origins do and should matter ....
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:43:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#49]
…….
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

Dude. Stop. We understand you like pew... good for you. The only person here not providing facts is you.

And yes. The oss/hux cans. A lot of dudes see his tests and think the can is actually going to be quiet. It's not.

I also remember a CGS can he "helped" develop that was supposed to be the game changer. It wasn't
View Quote

I’m sorry, where are all the facts in this thread? This has been 4 pages of mostly baseless speculation about this company and their product.

If you think Jay’s data is shit, then develop your own testing standard. I don’t see anyone else attempting it except for the companies themselves and honestly, that seems way way less trustworthy to me. Companies never ever publish bullshit, internally generated data to sell something to consumers who don’t know any better.

The Huxwrx cans are very quiet when you understand what they were designed to accomplish. Everyone I know who owns one of their new DMLS cans is very happy with it. The Flow 556K was designed to have very little back pressure with a short length and excellent suppression at the shooters ear and that comes at the expense of industry leading suppression at the muzzle. It’s unreasonable to expect that a high flow K can will be as quiet as a long, low flow can like an OCL Polonium or a Maxim DSX.

The SCI-SIX is a good can by the way. I thought it performed a little better than the SOCOM RC-2 I compared it to. This was purely subjective of course. They were close but I liked the tone of the SCI more.
Page / 16
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 4 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top