Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Used it for my 22 warlock and it worked great. Only soaked for 2 hrs and took most of the carbon and lead out. Next time I’ll soak it longer. Definitely works and I’ll get a gallon next time I need some.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
For anyone that has used both a soda blaster and this breakthrough cleaner, which one do you prefer? I'm wanting to get caked on lead off aluminum baffles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 2:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#3]
My OG Turbo just went for a swim in this stuff. Factory weight seems to be 13oz, it currently weighs...not 13oz. I don't keep exact round count but would guess it's closer to 20k than 10k rounds. The cleaner is working immediately judging by color. I'll see how it looks tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw a video from SHOT today where the rep mentioned it could damage cerakote
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't seem to work any better than CLR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Doesn't seem to work any better than CLR.
View Quote

But it is supposedly safe on materials that CLR will eat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By peachy:

View Quote

This. Did my first CLR soak last night on some titanium baffles. Worked great. But I still bought a gallon of the breakthrough stuff because it’s safe to use on aluminum. Not sure what CLR would do to anodized aluminum baffles but I don’t want to test it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Exetik:

This. Did my first CLR soak last night on some titanium baffles. Worked great. But I still bought a gallon of the breakthrough stuff because it’s safe to use on aluminum. Not sure what CLR would do to anodized aluminum baffles but I don’t want to test it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Exetik:

CLR is safe for titanium and stainless steel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Just soaked these aluminum baffles from my 7 year old Huntertown 9mm can, they were pretty dirty and never could get them no where near this clean.

Soaked them, took a nylon brush and scrubbed them off, rinsed with warm water and this is how they turned out.
Not to bad.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a note, the stuff does an incredible job cleaning the inside of a bolt carrier and on the bolt itself..  Just leave it in overnight, no scraping required.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Exetik] [#12]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View Quote

I have read yes and I have read no. I know Thunder Beast at one point (and may still) recommends the use of CLR for cleaning/flushing some of their titanium cans. I also read that Dead Air said CLR could be used on the stainless baffles in the Mask, but not sure if that is still relevant today or not. In my case I let the titanium baffles from one of my rimfire suppressors soak in a 50/50 water and CLR mixture for about 4-5 hours and they came out almost 100% clean. Much better than using a tumbler and pins. I also found a post where a guy soaked a block of aluminum in CLR overnight and it didn't do anything to it, but it wasn't a scientific test and I personally will not be using CLR with aluminum baffles.

I did order a gallon of the Breakthrough suppressor cleaner so I'll be using that going forward but am still impressed how well the CLR worked and would use it again if I had to. Of course, do your own research and determine how much you want to risk personally. Or just buy some Breakthrough Suppressor Cleaner and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View Quote

Idk about titanium as I don’t have any titanium cans, but I use it all the time on my SS rimfire baffles and CLR works great. Leave them in for about an hour and they come out clean. If there’s residual remaining on any baffles, I’ll put them in for another 30 minutes or so and they wipe clean with a rinse and wipe with paper towel. Been doing this for over a year and haven’t seen any ill effects.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I’ve read most of the posts, but I can’t recall if anyone has posted if this stuff is safe for o-rings?  

Thinking BCG and 9mm piston.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#15]
How are you guys drying centerfire cans after draining them? I'm going to flush mine with hot water but I don't want to risk any rust.

Suppose I could put some rounds thru it for added motivation
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
How are you guys drying centerfire cans after draining them? I'm going to flush mine with hot water but I don't want to risk any rust.

View Quote

What is your can made of that would rust?   Aren't most cans stainless steel, titanium, or aluminum  add in some Inconell or Stellite baffles which are both corrosion resistant.?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:25:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#17]
Originally Posted By VaFish:

What is your can made of that would rust?   Aren't most cans stainless steel, titanium, or aluminum  add in some Inconell or Stellite baffles which are both corrosion resistant.?
View Quote
Stainless+Inconel...I'm probably being paranoid, huh. It's been soaking for about 24hrs, I'll leave it for another day or two, scrub what little I can, then see if it shed any weight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Do you want a zombie apocalypse? Because this is how you get a zombie apocalypse.

Make sure to stock up some of this stuff:

https://hornadyarmory.com/product/hornady-zombie-max-223-remington-ammo-55-grain-z-max/

View Quote

@dmk0210 heads up that's one of those scam crypto sites. I don't think anyone will bite but you never know. I figured that was the case because I don't think they've made that ammo in years maybe close to a decade.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandDeschain] [#19]
Meh. Not impressed so far. Octane 45HD. It was pretty dirty as I had to knock the baffles out with a dowel and rubber mallet. Probably 1500 rounds of 9mm and 45ACP since last cleaning. Let the baffles and piston soak for 24 hours and not much of a difference when I checked them this am. Now into the ultrasonic cleanser to see if that helps.  Usually a few trips thru with Slip2000 does a good job. We will see how this stands up to that.

Edit to add:
Ran it thru 2x 30 min cycles.  Liquid got real dirty and basically stopped working.  I scraped the carbon with a scraper until most was removed then switched over to Slip2000 for 2 more cycles to finish up.  
This stuff is expensive and wasn't any easier or better than what I have been using at 3 times the cost.  Juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RolandDeschain:
Meh. Not impressed so far. Octane 45HD. It was pretty dirty as I had to knock the baffles out with a dowel and rubber mallet. Probably 1500 rounds of 9mm and 45ACP since last cleaning. Let the baffles and piston soak for 24 hours and not much of a difference when I checked them this am. Now into the ultrasonic cleanser to see if that helps.  Usually a few trips thru with Slip2000 does a good job. We will see how this stands up to that.

Edit to add:
Ran it thru 2x 30 min cycles.  Liquid got real dirty and basically stopped working.  I scraped the carbon with a scraper until most was removed then switched over to Slip2000 for 2 more cycles to finish up.  
This stuff is expensive and wasn't any easier or better than what I have been using at 3 times the cost.  Juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO.
View Quote

What have you been using typically?
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
For anyone that has used both a soda blaster and this breakthrough cleaner, which one do you prefer? I'm wanting to get caked on lead off aluminum baffles.
View Quote

I've got an old Bowers CAC9 I use on a MP5 shooting mainly cast & coated projectiles, lots of full auto blasting. I don't really keep a tally on rds shot since I last cleaned it but if had to guess I'd say at least 2K so it wasn't terribly dirty.

I've had the baffles soaking for two weeks and simply wiping each baffle with a cotton patch and then soaking them again. Jar holds about 8 oz and I have not changed the solution. At this point two baffles still have a minimal amount of crud on them and had I changed the solution they would probably be like new already.

I am pleased with the results, yes it is slow compared to soda blasting but not nearly as messy! I'm not ready to toss my soda blasting gear yet but it will definitely take a back seat to the Breakthrough cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I found some at Scheel's and soaked my Lunar 9 baffles (aluminum) overnight. Turned out great with almost no brushing/scrubbing. They were pretty caked up from a mix of centerfire and rimfire shooting. Will buy again
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mikego_34:

What have you been using typically?
View Quote

Ultrasonic with Slip2000 and elbow grease.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By arjohnson:
Just soaked these aluminum baffles from my 7 year old Huntertown 9mm can, they were pretty dirty and never could get them no where near this clean.

Soaked them, took a nylon brush and scrubbed them off, rinsed with warm water and this is how they turned out.
Not to bad.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhtQSwjZ/F3-D6224-F-0-D08-41-A0-A9-C1-5-D26-EC3-ED295.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qB2xPx6b/A95-EC7-B4-D281-430-D-8-D33-62-E13-EFE31-D6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/m2wNDZw7/7171-CA7-E-B440-4175-A756-2-FFA80-B3-F74-B.jpg
View Quote

I have never seen spacers like that on a can with K baffles, they could almost double the amount of baffles in there. Or make the can a lot shorter. Normally K's are stacked right on top of each other.

@arjohnson
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

I have never seen spacers like that on a can with K baffles, they could almost double the amount of baffles in there. Or make the can a lot shorter. Normally K's are stacked right on top of each other.

@arjohnson
View Quote

It’s a Huntertown arms can, probably why they’re out of business.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#26]
My wet tumbler with stainless media from HF works just fine, and I don't need to keep buying any special product.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Post the MSDS / SDS report on it.
View Quote

You can download it from Amazon.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/B15dvqxhuZL.pdf
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#28]
so it’s just dimethyl sulfoxide diluted down to 10%?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#29]
And apparently it's totally not bueno to dump it into the ground or down the drain, much like the dip.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By emccracken:
And apparently it's totally not bueno to dump it into the ground or down the drain, much like the dip.
View Quote
I disposed mine at the local dump, which had provisions for certain chemicals provided they aren't capital D dangerous. It just feels sketchy to pour this stuff down the drain or have it leach into the soil...

Anyways after 3 days of sitting with zero manual agitation, my YHM Turbo lost about half an ounce of weight. I'm sure there's a lot in there that could be scraped out if you could disassemble the can, but that's not an option obviously. This feels like a home run for pistol and rimfire cans. I could always try ultrasonic but I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether it's OK to just toss the whole can in there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:

View Quote

Put in oven at 250*F for an hour. Done.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]
FedEx has my package listed "Unable to Deliver". My guess is someone smashed the package and it spilled everywhere. I'll give it a few more days and contact Lanbo.

Thursday, 1/25/24
2:02 PM
Shipment exception
Unable to deliver
MIDDLETOWN, CT

2:04 PM
Delay
Package delayed
MIDDLETOWN, CT
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Toker_:
FedEx has my package listed "Unable to Deliver". My guess is someone smashed the package and it spilled everywhere. I'll give it a few more days and contact Lanbo.

Thursday, 1/25/24
Shipment exception
Unable to deliver
MIDDLETOWN, CT

Delay
Package delayed
MIDDLETOWN, CT
View Quote

Several people (including me) have noted that there's no safety seal under the gallon cap. And the gallon bottle was a bit less robust than the windshield washer fluid I buy (but better than a milk gallon)...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Thursday, 1/25/24
Shipment exception
Unable to deliver
MIDDLETOWN, CT

Delay
Package delayed
MIDDLETOWN, CT
View Quote

Sometimes that means "We didnt feel like driving to your house." So there's still hope.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By eric496:

Sometimes that means "We didnt feel like driving to your house." So there's still hope.
View Quote

Normally, I'd agree with you, but that location is a distribution center that's still 20 miles from my local FedEx that does the deliveries. Still no update today, so I'll probably have to give them a call and then Lanbo.

First world problems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I got my gallon jug from Lanbos.  The outer box had a big sticker saying this end up⬆️.  Open it up and the inner box from the manufacturer was on its side with this end up going sideways ➡️.  Of course Fedex doesn't give a fuck and it was probably every which way but up during transit.  Luckily mine didn't leak out, but mine was only shipped in state.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Clicker58:

I've got an old Bowers CAC9 I use on a MP5 shooting mainly cast & coated projectiles, lots of full auto blasting. I don't really keep a tally on rds shot since I last cleaned it but if had to guess I'd say at least 2K so it wasn't terribly dirty.

I've had the baffles soaking for two weeks and simply wiping each baffle with a cotton patch and then soaking them again. Jar holds about 8 oz and I have not changed the solution. At this point two baffles still have a minimal amount of crud on them and had I changed the solution they would probably be like new already.

I am pleased with the results, yes it is slow compared to soda blasting but not nearly as messy! I'm not ready to toss my soda blasting gear yet but it will definitely take a back seat to the Breakthrough cleaner.
View Quote

@Clicker58

How did you disassemble your CAC9? I have a PAS9 with the upgraded .375 stack.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By captexas:
I got my gallon jug from Lanbos.  The outer box had a big sticker saying this end up⬆️.  Open it up and the inner box from the manufacturer was on its side with this end up going sideways ➡️.  Of course Fedex doesn't give a fuck and it was probably every which way but up during transit.  Luckily mine didn't leak out, but mine was only shipped in state.
View Quote

Called FedEx and it looks like the contents of the package were empty. Meaning that all that cleaner is somewhere in the world where it's not supposed to be...

Sent Lanbo's and email to see what can be done.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TargetTime:

@Clicker58

View All Quotes

@Clicker58

I use an adjustable pin face spanner wrench similar to this one to remove the end cap, make sure the pins will fit into the holes of the cap. Then tap out the baffles using a wooden dowel.
Spanner
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#40]

@arjohnson
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arjohnson:

Not to bad.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhtQSwjZ/F3-D6224-F-0-D08-41-A0-A9-C1-5-D26-EC3-ED295.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qB2xPx6b/A95-EC7-B4-D281-430-D-8-D33-62-E13-EFE31-D6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/m2wNDZw7/7171-CA7-E-B440-4175-A756-2-FFA80-B3-F74-B.jpg

@arjohnson

The k baffles nest into the prior baffles spacer like an AAC Halcyon. Takes up some volume but keeps baffles from bonding to tube with carbon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I soaked my sealed AAC Aviator in the cleaner for 3 days. Just dropped the whole can in a mason jar and would agitate once or twice a day. The finish is fine except the end cap looks like it lost a little bit of finish. I forgot to weigh the can before the cleaning.
It looks like it did a really good job. it is much cleaner and I could see the port/ hole on edge of the blast baffle that was filled with crud before. It also sounded better.
I weighed my sealed AAC Pilot today before I dropped it in the dip. I will check weight after cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I let the anodized aluminum baffles from my Surefire Ryder 22-A suppressor soak overnight and they came out like new. I don't have a lot of rounds through this can but enough to make it pretty dirty. There was a lot of stuff that was dislodged from first/blast baffle that I did not even know was there. This stuff really works and makes cleaning aluminum a breeze.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Called FedEx and it looks like the contents of the package were empty. Meaning that all that cleaner is somewhere in the world where it's not supposed to be...

Sent Lanbo's and email to see what can be done.
View Quote

I hope you will post Lanbo's reply.  

Not discounting the shipper's packing, it seems that Breakthrough is using an inadequate container.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#44]
If you look early on this thread the same thing happened to me. Received an empty bottle and a soggy box. Had to return the empty bottle to get a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Minshooter:

I hope you will post Lanbo's reply.  

Not discounting the shipper's packing, it seems that Breakthrough is using an inadequate container.
View Quote

Based on the same size of this thread, breakthrough definitely needs to fix their bottling/seals.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:23:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Exetik] [#46]
I wonder what happened to the rugged looking gallon jug that is shown on their website? That looks a lot better than what they are shipping in now. I expected to get the jug as shown but got an unsealed washer fluid type jug as others have reported. Luckily mine arrived in good shape.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#47]

I use an adjustable pin face spanner wrench similar to this one to remove the end cap, make sure the pins will fit into the holes of the cap. Then tap out the baffles using a wooden dowel.
Spanner
View All Quotes

@Clicker58

Spanner

Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#48]
So has anyone tried generic dimethyl sulfoxide yet? I ordered some from Amazon today to try out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#49]
So has anyone tried generic dimethyl sulfoxide yet? I ordered some from Amazon today to try out.
View Quote

I was hoping that someone would be attempting to do this. I'd probably make a 10% solution with maybe several ounces of an aluminum safe cleaner (like Simple green Pro HD) per gallon. If it works, it will be a much cheaper alternative. Something on the order of $10 per gallon for the finished solution.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Reading more about this stuff, it sounds a little creepy, apparently it's great at crossing cell membranes and carrying compounds with it. Not a chemist, but I intend to use thick latex gloves (nitrile won't work) with this stuff after it touches anything with powder or heavy metal fouling.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top