BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dillhole:
UPDATE:

Today I compared the Mojave 9 (long), Fly 9 (long), Obsidian 9 (short), and omega 9k. Outdoor range shooting only 115 gr supers.

The guy who said the Mojave really shines on supers is right on the money. Holy shit this thing is incredible. I mean it really performs great.

None of the other three are in the same universe on supers. They just aren’t. They are very good cans, and I like them a lot, but the Mojave really is incredibly pleasant for the shooter on supersonic 9mm.
View Quote

Told y’all haha

It doesn’t make sense but it’s very real. But I don’t feel the same way about the huxxwrxnkjwrx stuff. To me it still sounds like dog shit. Like the rad9/cash9/whatever they’re calling it these days. So I think there’s just some other design characteristics going on besides “low back pressure” helping it achieve that “wow” effect on supers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#2]
Originally Posted By AndrewKing:

Told y’all haha

It doesn’t make sense but it’s very real. But I don’t feel the same way about the huxxwrxnkjwrx stuff. To me it still sounds like dog shit. Like the rad9/cash9/whatever they’re calling it these days. So I think there’s just some other design characteristics going on besides “low back pressure” helping it achieve that “wow” effect on supers.
View Quote

Yeah, but how’s the taste and mouth feel if you’ve got burned up old ears you no longer trust?

Baffles must be doing a good job at scrubbing gas off the back of the projectile. Front cap geometry might be reducing the pressure bubble back at the shooter.  Needs more testing on purebred hosts by autists with a bloviation template.

Got x-ray or bandsaw?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll need a bandsaw. An X-ray will leave you with more questions than answers.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SDet:

Because normal pistols and pistol cans aren't suppressing supers to less than the crack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SDet:
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I’m having a difficult time understanding how a suppressor can help mitigate the crack of supersonic rounds that happens after the bullet has left the can.

Because normal pistols and pistol cans aren't suppressing supers to less than the crack.

That’s not true at all.

The muzzle and port noise from my Glock with a TiRant 9M HD is MUCH quieter than the supersonic crack.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

That’s not true at all.

The muzzle and port noise from my Glock with a TiRant 9M HD is MUCH quieter than the supersonic crack.
View Quote

Same for me with Glocks and PCCs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright Im all ears, but how the heck would someone who shoots 9mm exclusively through this can get it cleaned?

It seems to have all sorts of nooks and crannies to it.

Amphibians feedback with sealed pistol cans seems to suggest they clog after a while and performance degrades.  And thats with less complex baffle arrangements than the mojave’s.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mikego_34:
Alright Im all ears, but how the heck would someone who shoots 9mm exclusively through this can get it cleaned?

It seems to have all sorts of nooks and crannies to it.

Amphibians feedback with sealed pistol cans seems to suggest they clog after a while and performance degrades.  And thats with less complex baffle arrangements than the mojave’s.
View Quote

Since it’s all titanium, I’d imagine you could just soak it in CLR or some solvent that is titanium safe? I know that’s what EA says to do with the Nyx.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. A soak in a solution of CLR and water is proscribed.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikego_34] [#9]

Since it’s all titanium, I’d imagine you could just soak it in CLR or some solvent that is titanium safe? I know that’s what EA says to do with the Nyx.
View Quote

The tube is titanium too?

I thought I saw some parts listed as aluminum?

Maybe endcap or something

From DA’s website:

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The front cap and the outer part of the back cap are anodized 7075.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
@atlmike

Any chance you’ll make a .45 version?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay tuned.........

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECCO_Machine] [#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:
I'd love to hear one in person, but having played with a lot of cans using 9mm, including integrals on manual action guns, I'm just not buying that it can somehow defy the laws of physics and reduce the sonic crack of the round.   The sonic crack exists regardless of suppressor, and is quite loud/offensive with blunt and relatively slow pistol bullets.  No supersonic 9mm or .38 spl round we've ever used metered lower than mid-130s at shooter's ear.   Environmental factors can certainly influence our human ear perception of the crack, but it will still be there and still be offensive even if you manage to completely eliminate the report.  

I suspect the perceived difference is actually related to port noise, that on a manual action gun or using a slide/bolt lock on an auto, you'd find the noise with supersonic ammo the same as with other decent 9mm cans.  Don't get me wrong, reducing port noise is a huge thing, just that it shouldn't be confused with what's going on outside of the scope of the system.
View Quote

I doubt it is reducing the sonic crack of the round. As @Atlmike and you both suggest, I think it is probably reducing port noise better than we typically see from other cans in its class, and I think that, under certain testing conditions, it reduces the shooter's perception of all sound associated with the gunshot.

Obviously, it is not defying the laws of physics, but I'm not imagining what I'm hearing either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]

I doubt it is reducing the sonic crack of the round. As @Atlmike and you both suggest, I think it is probably reducing port noise better than we typically see from other cans in its class, and I think that, under certain testing conditions, it reduces the shooter's perception of all sound associated with the gunshot.

Obviously, it is not defying the laws of physics, but I'm not imagining what I'm hearing either.
View Quote

A 115gr 9mm load has around a third (33%) more powder than a 147gr load and more like 75% more powder than one of those extra heavy 165gr loads. That generates a lot more gas to contend with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By peachy:

A 115gr 9mm load has around a third (33%) more powder than a 147gr load and more like 75% more powder than one of those extra heavy 165gr loads. That generates a lot more gas to contend with.
View Quote

Which is why I’m guessing the significantly reduced port noise is so noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Which is why I’m guessing the significantly reduced port noise is so noticeable.
View Quote

I imagine you are correct.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread sold me.  I pho'd on a Mojave.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone tried it on an mp5 yet,  looking for a dedicated can for my k build.  I have a wolfman and its awesome but thought id try something different.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:
Anyone tried it on an mp5 yet,  looking for a dedicated can for my k build.  I have a wolfman and its awesome but thought id try something different.
View Quote

@goloud has used it on a MP5K per his TFB article. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/10/21/dead-air-mojave/
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mr_Goodkat:

@goloud has used it on a MP5K per his TFB article. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/10/21/dead-air-mojave/
View Quote

Indeed. It is a great can. Had it out this weekend actually, but on a GLOCK.

If it’s just for the MP5K, I’d want a no nonsense, non-modular, high volume can.

But the Mojave will still be quiet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Would pull double duty for my mp5 and usp tactical
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Would pull double duty for my mp5 and usp tactical
View Quote

You’ll be happy with the Mojave.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: awd_xtc] [#24]
Alabama Arsenal review is up.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Shot one of these indoors last week and was not super impressed. Although I was kind of in a hurry.

I have a demo unit coming to me. When I get around to it I'll take it outside.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:
Shot one of these indoors last week and was not super impressed. Although I was kind of in a hurry.

I have a demo unit coming to me. When I get around to it I'll take it outside.
View Quote

I’d be interested in what you think of it compared to the Tirant9
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#27]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUD2xe2B5c
View Quote

Awesome video, thank you for posting
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#28]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUD2xe2B5c
View Quote

Just got done watching it and looks like the Wolfman is quieter on a FS MP5 which is my go to MP5 can when I want really quiet.

It looked like it did really well on the Henry X with 38 special's.  I can't wait to compare the Mojave 9 with my other cans on that host.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#29]
The wolfman was quite a bit quieter in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#30]
The Mojave impressed me very much.   It even sounded great in short mode, which is not something I can say for my Obsidian.   I like long mode better though.  

All the praise mentioned is true, it even sounded great with supersonics.    

Most impressive was how good it sounded in short mode, I did not expect that.   Awesome design.  

Only gripe is booster uses a proprietary pistol and EZ-LOK isn't available for it.  I love EZ-LOK

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
Only gripe is booster uses a proprietary pistol and EZ-LOK isn't available for it.  I love EZ-LOK
View Quote

I read this last week and I needed to confirm. Thanks.

The griffin ez lok pistons have 2 selections for dead air, does anyone know if deadair is now using a third piston pattern?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally we wanted to use the Odessa pistons since they are existing SKU's, but testing revealed the piston we settled on with the longer piston head works better with Mojave.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#33]
It's phenomenal with the supersonics.   I felt I was standing behind the shooter instead of being the shooter with them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Been thinking about one

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:30:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#35]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
Originally we wanted to use the Odessa pistons since they are existing SKU's, but testing revealed the piston we settled on with the longer piston head works better with Mojave.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Oh, that sucks. I had one of these on my wish list and hadn't even considered that. No EZ-Lok compatibility is a no-go for me.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got an extra P-series  booster, I'm going to try that (EZ-LOK).
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a chance to shoot one at night.  It is a really impressive can that checks all the boxes:  lightweight, quiet, low blowback, toolless and easy module/front endcap swapping, and sounds shockingly good in short mode.  Seriously...in short mode it was BY FAR the quietest sub-6" 9mm can I've ever heard.  I'll have to compare it to the Wolfman in short mode in a Pepsi challenge with identical hosts next time.

Something that may be of interest - there was no sparking in long mode after about 10 shots.  But in short mode, it sparked out the front.  I wonder if that is ammo-dependent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By emccracken:
I had a chance to shoot one at night.  It is a really impressive can that checks all the boxes:  lightweight, quiet, low blowback, toolless and easy module/front endcap swapping, and sounds shockingly good in short mode.  Seriously...in short mode it was BY FAR the quietest sub-6" 9mm can I've ever heard.  I'll have to compare it to the Wolfman in short mode in a Pepsi challenge with identical hosts next time.

Something that may be of interest - there was no sparking in long mode after about 10 shots.  But in short mode, it sparked out the front.  I wonder if that is ammo-dependent.
View Quote

When you say that its both quiet and low-blowback, I must ask…..what ammo and host, and who provided them? That’s not some sort of challenge, so much as curiosity.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emccracken] [#39]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

When you say that its both quiet and low-blowback, I must ask…..what ammo and host, and who provided them? That’s not some sort of challenge, so much as curiosity.
View Quote

Ammo was Speer Lawman 147gr, Fed Syntech 150gr, some purple coated factory ammo (didn't pay attention), PPU 124gr, and some 147gr JHP handloaded with VVN320. I think there were two other ammos we shot that I can't recall.  It was dark and we were shooting by headlight and occasional headlamps.

Hosts were two Stribogs (SPA3 and SPA3G), Scorpion, a CMMG Dissent, and a POF Tombstone.  All ammo were mine and my buddy's.  It was his Mojave (recently was approved), and we were shooting out in the desert.

Other cans that were shot that night were a TLX, Obsidian 9, Wolfman, and Primal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Ammo was Speer Lawman 147gr, Fed Syntech 150gr, some purple coated factory ammo (didn't pay attention), PPU 124gr, and some 147gr JHP handloaded with VVN320. I think there were two other ammos we shot that I can't recall.  It was dark and we were shooting by headlight and occasional headlamps.

Hosts were two Stribogs (SPA3 and SPA3G), Scorpion, a CMMG Dissent, and a POF Tombstone.  All ammo were mine and my buddy's.  It was his Mojave (recently was approved), and we were shooting out in the desert.

Other cans that were shot that night were a TLX, Obsidian 9, Wolfman, and Primal.
View Quote

Sounds like a well-developed opinion. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Sounds like a well-developed opinion. Thanks!
View Quote

Anytime.  I did get some gas to my face pretty good with the Obsidian and especially the TLX a couple times, but never experienced that with the Mojave.  My buddy also shined a flashlight at my face from the side while I was shooting to visually confirm what I was experiencing with the gas blowback.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Anytime.  I did get some gas to my face pretty good with the Obsidian and especially the TLX a couple times, but never experienced that with the Mojave.  My buddy also shined a flashlight at my face from the side while I was shooting to visually confirm what I was experiencing with the gas blowback.
View Quote

How did the Wolfman and Mojave compare?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: emccracken] [#43]

How did the Wolfman and Mojave compare?
View Quote

Here's my maybe-not-so-popular opinion.  I haven't been wildly impressed with my Wolfman (as a 9mm can).  When I bought it, I thought it was going to blow away all other 9mm cans and be so much quieter than my Obsidian 9, but that isn't really the case.  I think the Wolfman is host dependent.  On some hosts it sounds wonderful, and on others it doesn't sound any better than other 9mm cans.  But where it really impresses me the most is on 556 and 7.62x39.  It's kind of a great rifle can that doubles as a really good 9mm can.  I kid you not, I think the Wolfman in long sounds better than ANY dedicated 556 can I've ever heard.  And in short mode, it sounds indistinguishable from the smaller 556 cans like the Polo K, Sierra 5, and AB Warthog.  

NOTE:  I don't mag dump and I don't have full auto.  I'm more of a deliberate, aimed shooter, so I always judge suppressor performance by repeated single shots.

That said, I don't think we could discern a difference in loudness between the Wolfman and Mojave.  But I will say that we both thought the Mojave had a more pleasing tone than the Wolfman.  

The Mojave is no doubt a winner in my book, and I've been a rabid silencer afficianado for 25 years.  Of course, your ear mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Oh, that sucks. I had one of these on my wish list and hadn't even considered that. No EZ-Lok compatibility is a no-go for me.  

View Quote

Definitely a deal-breaker. All my HGs are set up for Cam-Lok interface.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Here's my maybe-not-so-popular opinion.  I haven't been wildly impressed with my Wolfman (as a 9mm can).  When I bought it, I thought it was going to blow away all other 9mm cans and be so much quieter than my Obsidian 9, but that isn't really the case.  I think the Wolfman is host dependent.  On some hosts it sounds wonderful, and on others it doesn't sound any better than other 9mm cans.  But where it really impresses me the most is on 556 and 7.62x39.  It's kind of a great rifle can that doubles as a really good 9mm can.  I kid you not, I think the Wolfman in long sounds better than ANY dedicated 556 can I've ever heard.  And in short mode, it sounds indistinguishable from the smaller 556 cans like the Polo K, Sierra 5, and AB Warthog.  

NOTE:  I don't mag dump and I don't have full auto.  I'm more of a deliberate, aimed shooter, so I always judge suppressor performance by repeated single shots.

That said, I don't think we could discern a difference in loudness between the Wolfman and Mojave.  But I will say that we both thought the Mojave had a more pleasing tone than the Wolfman.  

The Mojave is no doubt a winner in my book, and I've been a rabid silencer afficianado for 25 years.  Of course, your ear mileage may vary.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:28:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#46]

View Quote

I’ve been wondering lately how host-sensitive the Wolfman is. A friend of mine and I determined that his host is very pop-y due to a relatively lightweight bolt for a blowback gun. Its an AK-shaped 9mm SBR of some sort. He likes DA cans, but was pretty unimpressed with his Wolfman, and he’s had it for a while (probably an early adopter). I think he’s trying lighter ammo or a different host now that he’s found that maybe the host is the problem.

Given its age, I’d guess it was made with MP5’s in mind, since PCCs’s weren’t yet as popular as today? That’d make sense to me, if so, because the regular blowback PCCs that have become common seem pretty blowback sensitive as far as how the user perceives sound performance. It seems like a lot of people use theirs in short mode on PCCs, which reinforces that hypothesis, in my mind.

I’m not trying to talk shit on the Wolfman, just speculating out loud about the host part of the equation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#47]

I’ve been wondering lately how host-sensitive the Wolfman is. A friend of mine and I determined that his host is very pop-y due to a relatively lightweight bolt for a blowback gun. Its an AK-shaped 9mm SBR of some sort. He likes DA cans, but was pretty unimpressed with his Wolfman, and he’s had it for a while (probably an early adopter). I think he’s trying lighter ammo or a different host now that he’s found that maybe the host is the problem.

Given its age, I’d guess it was made with MP5’s in mind, since PCCs’s weren’t yet as popular as today? That’d make sense to me, if so, because the regular blowback PCCs that have become common seem pretty blowback sensitive as far as how the user perceives sound performance. It seems like a lot of people use theirs in short mode on PCCs, which reinforces that hypothesis, in my mind.

I’m not trying to talk shit on the Wolfman, just speculating out loud about the host part of the equation.
View Quote

I suspect it has a bit more backpressure than some other options based on the ear numbers from TBAC's Fly 9 testing results. If that is correct, it would make sense that it might perform worse on a blowback gun. It would be interesting to throw a bunch of different 9mm cans on a blowback SMG and see how the ROF changes. Not sure if that would be a good proxy for measuring backpressure, but I suspect it would at least be somewhat related.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]

I suspect it has a bit more backpressure than some other options based on the ear numbers from TBAC's Fly 9 testing results. If that is correct, it would make sense that it might perform worse on a blowback gun. It would be interesting to throw a bunch of different 9mm cans on a blowback SMG and see how the ROF changes. Not sure if that would be a good proxy for measuring backpressure, but I suspect it would at least be somewhat related.
View Quote

I can potentially do that, but it’d take a while to get around to. I’ll have to see what mounting system he’s using with it, and also figure out the logistics of testing against a small handful of PCC cans. In my circle, we have at least 4 mounting systems and a few barrel lengths for PCCs that we’d have to figure out which to use for testing consistency and then switch back to normal configurations.

Or we just put them on close-as-possible barrel length AR 9mm uppers and use the same bolt, buffer, select-fire lower, mag, and ammo, and just record the RoF delta on-off with each, then compare percentages, instead of trying to do them all on the same gun and comparing simple suppressed RoF.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

I haven’t even tried my Wolfman on 556 or 762x39 yet.  Your post makes me want to now.

My Wolfman is pretty much dedicated to my MP5’s.  It just works great with them.

It sounds awesome on my Henry X 357 shooting 38 specials too.  However, it’s a little heavy and long so I usually use my R9 instead.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#50]

I can potentially do that, but it’d take a while to get around to. I’ll have to see what mounting system he’s using with it, and also figure out the logistics of testing against a small handful of PCC cans. In my circle, we have at least 4 mounting systems and a few barrel lengths for PCCs that we’d have to figure out which to use for testing consistency and then switch back to normal configurations.

Or we just put them on close-as-possible barrel length AR 9mm uppers and use the same bolt, buffer, select-fire lower, mag, and ammo, and just record the RoF delta on-off with each, then compare percentages, instead of trying to do them all on the same gun and comparing simple suppressed RoF.
View Quote

It’s an experiment I keep meaning to do but fail to make time for.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top