Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Of all my cans, this is the only one I've had a strike.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
During a conjugal visit I had an endcap strike with my Obsidian45 shooting low-powered supersonic 45-70 rounds, however, I did not have Teflon tape on the direct thread adapter like I should have.

I really only grazed the endcap but it did give me something to consider moving forward. The baffles were good to go.

Attachment Attached File

I'm watching this thread closely.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:36:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joesrcool] [#4]
Everyone I personally know who owns an Obsidian 9, myself included, has had at minimum an endcap strike and a few with baffle strikes. I know more people who have Sierra 5's who've had fewer issues than an Obsidian 9. Great sounding can though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover] [#5]
I have a thousand plus of 9mm and .38 spl. through mine with no strikes, direct thread.

I have estimated 500 plus through it with a Rugged piston and had one pretty bad endcap strike.  Before I switched to EZ-LOK,  I would only shoot it in the short (and wet) configuration to minimize the chances of another strike.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBeaverRetriever] [#6]
For lack of a better term, all of this baffles me
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
View Quote

LOL, and indeed.  Certainly someone has figured out what the flaw is.  I just wish that person would tell us.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spot-remover:

LOL, and indeed.  Certainly someone has figured out what the flaw is.  I just wish that person would tell us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spot-remover:
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:

and 45's with 9mm caps

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rookie421:

Here is the bore on my end cap, .416 inches.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81074/20240422_183921_jpg-3195360.JPG
View Quote

Well, shouldn’t be an issue of a narrow bore then… i think bullet dia +0.060 is pretty much the standard there….
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I often wonder if the threads on the rugged pistons/accessories are cut on the looser side of tolerances, causing issues with staying tight and causing baffle strikes.

The obsidian is basically the same thing as a Silencerco octane and the octane has been around for 10 years, with practically zero issues with end cap/baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LaminarFlow:

Were you using the full or short configuration of your O45 with the 9mm end cap when you have the end cap strikes?

I think I read somewhere here about the same and Rugged only recommending using the 9mm end cap on the O45 in the short configuration. I haven’t read it directly from them though unless I missed it in their instruction booklet.

View Quote

Well that’s good to know! I hadn’t heard that and I’ve used the 9mm cap on the Obsidian 45 in long cfg w/o issues *yet* but only shooting 300 blk through it… I’ve only shot 9mm through with the 45 cap on it so far.

I’ve course it would be a bit of a stretch to say I “read” the manual… I did open it once though!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:
This user had the same problems. After three trips back to rugged, Rugged says it’s not fixable. Poor manufacturing, or a design flaw.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-More-baffle-strike-issues-UPDATE/20-525959/?page=1
View Quote

That's not what happened. Rugged never said they couldn't fix it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By d16man:

That I don't know.  Would be interesting data for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTR:

This is correct

Yes, I am aware that they stay aligned on Obsidian cans.  I also know other companies have them opposing. What I am wondering is, since there are a lot of reports of endcap strikes on obsidian’s, and the one pictured above shows the strike in line with the notches: are the majority of end cap strikes on obsidian’s in line with the notches? If so, than the alignment may be a factor.

That I don't know.  Would be interesting data for sure.

More data.  Mine from this last weekend.  Not sure what gun I was using it on when it happened since I was swapping hosts.  This is my second strike.  I was using EZLok for both so it's not a guaranteed fix.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SIGthusiast:

More data.  Mine from this last weekend.  Not sure what gun I was using it on when it happened since I was swapping hosts.  This is my second strike.  I was using EZLok for both so it's not a guaranteed fix.

https://i.imgur.com/jQC2SpV.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/XaUTHIL.jpeg
View Quote

again the end cap strike is inline with the clips in the baffles
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Bummer. I was literally going to do almost the same identical setup with my AKV. I talked with the same Travis from Rugged today after reading this thread last night. He indicated it wasn't a good idea" AKV's are known for having their barrels squared with the gas block vs barrel shoulder". I told him I'd take it as a warning. It's s just strange because I've talked to a few people with trilug setup and it didn't mention any issues. I did find a Alpha Mount from JMAC that looks promising.. However, it has exposed threads which is kindy funky.   https://www.jmac-customs.com/2c-1-2-28-x12-alpha/
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By _Will_:
Bummer. I was literally going to do almost the same identical setup with my AKV. I talked with the same Travis from Rugged today after reading this thread last night. He indicated it wasn't a good idea" AKV's are known for having their barrels squared with the gas block vs barrel shoulder". I told him I'd take it as a warning. It's s just strange because I've talked to a few people with trilug setup and it didn't mention any issues. I did find a Alpha Mount from JMAC that looks promising.. However, it has exposed threads which is kindy funky.   https://www.jmac-customs.com/2c-1-2-28-x12-alpha/
View Quote

I have a similar Jmac muzzle device on my PAP M82 and it has worked very well with my nomad 30. I bet it works well with the AKV.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I know this does nothing for you OP but I was about to buy a 9 and 45 obsidian. But I will now pass and just get an octane 45.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I keep an eye on these threads as I have an Obsidian 9, but I run it in short configuration.  It's come loose enough to affect accuracy but no strikes, knock on wood.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JTR:
Seeing this picture makes me wonder if other Obsidian strikes were lined up with the baffle notches? -I know some brands keep the notches aligned, others alternate 180*…..
View Quote

Friend has an obsidian9, it had a end cap strike on a 32acp gun of mine that has known good muzzle threads.  The end cap damage was lined up with the baffle cuts.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top