Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Project prototype is done, and parts are being fitted for testing. Close to being completed. GROG
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait to see it. I am in for 1 ASAP
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grog18b:
Project prototype is done, and parts are being fitted for testing. Close to being completed. GROG
View Quote

@grog18b

Great news!

Any chance you could post a pic of the prototype?  I got to use an M79 a long time ago with the SERE group lost in the mountains, I loved it.  Ive wanted one ever since then, but It's frustrating how unavailable they have been for regular Joes.

Gotta ask... still in the 2-2.5k range?

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know. I will ask for a pic. GROG
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Pics will be coming out shortly... as well as finished products. He is going to be making his own parts in the future, but for now, kits are available elsewhere. I will advise when things are ready to go. GROG
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Have we narrowed down a final price on these for sure? In for one, but hoping for two
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
As of this week, Recon Ord still had receivers and barrels in stock...

...cause I bought one.

Just waiting on the paperwork for the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NAM:
As of this week, Recon Ord still had receivers and barrels in stock...
View Quote
Prices?
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Prices?
View Quote

I paid $7k for the whole kit and caboodle, title 1, barrel shipped separately. He quoted $4500 for the complete lower half (Kanarr, with walnut stock), and $2500 for the complete barrel assembly if purchased together. He currently has a barrel on Gunbroker for $2900, and some other parts. I saw two complete M79s sell recently for $8k and $8500, and with new receivers on the horizon, I figured now was a good time to buy before a run on parts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know the seller,  but spotted this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1006553477
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NAM:
I paid $7k for the whole kit and caboodle, title 1, barrel shipped separately. He quoted $4500 for the complete lower half (Kanarr, with walnut stock), and $2500 for the complete barrel assembly if purchased together. He currently has a barrel on Gunbroker for $2900, and some other parts. I saw two complete M79s sell recently for $8k and $8500, and with new receivers on the horizon, I figured now was a good time to buy before a run on parts.
View Quote
Thanks.

Yours is looking good so far.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll also also be in for sure for one and quite possibly for two new build receivers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Wanted to let everyone know that the receiver project is completed. They will be registered on a Form 2, and that is currently what they are waiting on. Tests are complete, and they are working on parts kits now. Barrels also. I will be posting pics of the finished product and providing contact info so you can place your orders shortly. I will be posting links to the manufacturer and prices at that time. FYI there have been a few improvements made so far on internals like a stronger hammer spring… to correct problems with the original manufacture. I will advise when I know more. GROG
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]
@HenryKnoxFineBooks
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh hell yeah!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#16]
The first ones being made are of 4140 steel, and machined out of solid blocks on a 5 axis mill for high accuracy. Pieces are then deburred and sandblasted. . They are made in two pieces and tig welded together.
They will be Nickel Boron coated matte black. This coating far surpasses the old military ones in durability, wear, and abrasion resistance. They will also be manufacturing internal parts. Some parts will be made from 303 Steel or 17PH stainless.

There will be 10 available when sales start.  

They are being manufactured as I write this.

https://www.pinterest.com/confer0049/m79-receiver-new/ For photos

I will provide more info as I get it.

GROG
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Post you've been waiting for...

Manufacturer is ready to start taking orders.

Manufacturer is Pace Defense (Reloadableshells.com)

Price per receiver is $2000. Can be transferred on a Form 3 to your FFL dealer. There is a 3% credit card fee if paying by credit. First 10 receivers will go to those making a deposit or paying in full. After your Form 3 is approved, he will ship. The titanium ones will be made in the future, and be an additional $600 ea.

The tig welds on the one in the photo will of course be finished in a radius.

If you have any further questions about the receivers, please direct them to Scot.

If you desire to reserve yours, contact Scot at Pace Defense and reserve your serial number ASAP. GROG
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Bummer they are going out on Form 3's. :( I would have 100% snagged one, but I unfortunately don't have any DD friendly dealers in the area.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grog18b] [#19]
Precision Pyro Supply are Class 7 in WI. (FYI) GROG
Precision Pyrotechnic Supply LLC
902 Arden Lane
Madison, WI 53711
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:02:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Precision Pyro Supply are Class 7 in WI. (FYI) GROG
Precision Pyrotechnic Supply LLC
902 Arden Lane
Madison, WI 53711
View Quote

That's an extra $200 though, no?

Side note, never heard of them before but may have to reach out. Their site seems to list 26.5mm and 37mm, but no 40mm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:38:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#21]
So it's a complete receiver assembly (including all internal parts) but they're transferring it as a Title II DD. This is what the $2k buys.

To complete the M79, I would need to find/add my own 40mm barrel assembly, forend assembly, and buttstock assembly.

Is all of this correct?

When will they be offering barrels?
Those are to be sold separately?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
No. Receiver only.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Additional info provided by the manufacturer:
The receivers do not come with internal parts. However we are manufacturing them in lots of 100 at a run. We are about a third of the way.
Also we scanned a new M79 barrel and farmed out to a shop that has a 4-axis rotary mill. Barrels should be available end of November early December. Coatings are scheduled to be performed in mid November. Company has a very good reputation in the firearms industry. I have two prototypes, uncoated and tested with factory parts kits . Internal parts are machined out of either 303 stainless or 17-4PH, (firing pin and hammer). Hammer spring is being constructed out of a premium much stronger spring materiel. All other springs are stainless. I upgraded everything possible. Barrels will be button broached and then machined out of solid bar of 7075 aluminum. I’ve spent over 60K in set up, tooling and fixturing on our 5-axis mill. Repeatability is within tenths. Machine is two years old. I can be reached via email for any other questions or concerns at : [email protected]. Note: We have material on the floor to make six receivers out of 4ALV Titanium.

GROG
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Grog, can you speak or opine on the rough cost of the barrel and I'm going to assume internal parts kit?  I'm thinking year end bonus might need to be used to at least pick up the receiver initially...
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ll put in an ask and let you know. GROG
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s looking like 750-850 for the brand new barrel stripped, and another 750-850 for the complete parts kit with improved springs and some stainless parts. So, all together less than 4k for a brand new, not from castings, M79.

Those prices may change a bit depending on material and farming out costs of a few of the parts. Those are ballpark, but should be relatively close.
GROG
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#28]
All seems reasonable. Thanks Grog.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#29]
My approval came back:

I am definitely interested to hear how progress goes on the new mfg M79s, and compare the two. I may have to pick up a parts kit when they become available, assuming they are completely interchangeable with the originals.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Just to note, Randy Shivak was selling his bare receivers for $3500 before he retired. And I think they were $1700 when he started out, which was 20 years ago. So you can get a receiver from scot at almost y2k prices
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I've heard only good things about Randy's receivers. Were they machined or cast?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grog18b] [#33]
Cast, and two piece. Randy’s 203s we’re very nice also. Still have mine mounted to my 40cal pistol upper… my 40/40 so to speak. There’s a pic in the launcher thread. GROG
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 12:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grog18b] [#34]
Exactly… what Sgt said. GROG
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Cast, and two piece. Randy’s 203s we’re very nice also. Still have mine mounted to my 40cal pistol upper… my 40/40 so to speak. There’s a pic in the launcher thread. GROG
View Quote

Love my 40 oly, was excited to go see your 40/40, but the image link is dead.  Care to re-upload?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#36]
This seems like a good time to mention the rumors that PSA is planning to pick up the torch from Spikes Tactical and launch a 37mm flare launcher clone of the M79. Externally pretty much identical to the original, no NFA paperwork needed.

Here’s hoping that it really happens.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Narutakikun:

Here's hoping that it really happens.
View Quote
Here's hoping they offer 40mm barrels with approved Form 1's!!!!!  Like Spikes used to do with their Thumper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JsbsMarine:
There are newer standalone 40mm that would benefit from a carbon fiber barrel, but as others stated the desire for a m79 is that classic wood and metal look. Don't think they would sell very well with that option.

The only suggestion I would give is for them to offer a snub nosed model with a sawed off butt stock, aka pirate gun like the seals used on the raid. I'd gander that would generate a lot of interest from the clone army who wants everything cool mil related and ultimately help sales and a better price point.

Forgot to add, the pirate gun will need a lanyard loop and pic rail on top for red dot/RMR.
Gotta keep it as close to clone specs as possible.
View Quote

I think an OG pirate gun setup like the SOG guys used would be pretty hot too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By keith13b:
Here's hoping they offer 40mm barrels with approved Form 1's!!!!!  Like Spikes used to do with their Thumper.
View Quote
Spikes did that?

I recall reading here that there were no 40mm options for their Thumper, and that legit M79 barrels could not be adapted to fit the Thumper receiver due to external physical differences. So where did the 40mm barrels come from?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: keith13b] [#40]
Spikes did that?

I recall reading here that there were no 40mm options for their Thumper, and that legit M79 barrels could not be adapted to fit the Thumper receiver due to external physical differences. So where did the 40mm barrels come from?
View Quote
You are right, and my post was confusing, as there were no 40mm barrel options, but they had a third-party machinist machine out your 37mm barrel AFTER you provided the approved Form 1.  They stopped being involved in that soon after, so everyone was on their own.  That happened around the time they moved their shop down the road.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok thanks. I had seen people asking about converting 37mm barrels and I never found a place that offered that service.

So it's doable to convert a 37mm Thumper to 40mm if you've got the correct "broaching?" equipment... Is that what's required?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok thanks. I had seen people asking about converting 37mm barrels and I never found a place that offered that service.

So it's doable to convert a 37mm Thumper to 40mm if you've got the correct "broaching?" equipment... Is that what's required?
View Quote

I'm actually exploring a method that can be done at home with no specialized equipment. So far results on bare aluminum and steel have been amazing. Hoping to offer it as a service in the near future after doing some test pieces. Removing the factory anodizing and re-anodizing still needs tested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
@grog18b are these still happening? I sent an email a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By _rory_:
@grog18b are these still happening? I sent an email a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back.
View Quote

There's one currently listed on Gunbroker (Pace new manufacture receiver).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top