Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:

If anyone wants to donate an armored vehicle, I’d be happy to shoot it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
Jonathan, question. Are you going to test the anti armor rocket against an armor target of some kind?

This needs to happen.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
Jonathan, question. Are you going to test the anti armor rocket against an armor target of some kind?

I don't know about donate, but @fadedsun and @m35ben should have an idea of where unrepairable hulks are.

But an angled piece of hardened steel would be a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I don't know about donate, but @fadedsun and @m35ben should have an idea of where unrepairable hulks are.

But an angled piece of hardened steel would be a lot cheaper.
View Quote
If it doesn't work can I shoot back?

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
@Buffman_LT1

Should know where to find armor plate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Alro Steel has AR500 plate. Not sure the min quantity needed for order.

https://www.alro.com/divsteel/metals_gridpt.aspx?gp=0048
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Here’s a special photo, it was sent by the surviving spouse of one of the lead engineers on the project

Then there are these photos provided by a very kind sub contractor Engineer ( for Sparta Inc i believe )who assisted in this project that answered some very important questions about the rocket. These are the tail section of the rocket and show the split flare design in detail

I asked if I could borrow the rocket motor to do Hi-res photos for the book but unfortunately he declined however the photos themselves are worth their weight in gold

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Most metal supply shops can get you ar500 or similar. My brother used to get hardox (ar450 I believe) from the shop that supplied their gravel pit. But they could special order armox(their name brand armor plate) and ar500 pretty easily.

Many gravel processors use hardened steel plates for wear resistance. My other brother (who now runs the plants) takes the used ones to make his own steel targets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Most metal supply shops can get you ar500 or similar. My brother used to get hardox (ar450 I believe) from the shop that supplied their gravel pit. But they could special order armox(their name brand armor plate) and ar500 pretty easily.

Many gravel processors use hardened steel plates for wear resistance. My other brother (who now runs the plants) takes the used ones to make his own steel targets.
View Quote

I’m not sure what I’ll do for targets, I need to find a place to shoot these, I’m going to write to White sands missile range, maybe I can rent a part of the range and possibly they may have targets from old tests. I’d have to travel from out of state so I’m not sure if I’d be able to bring such large plates

Another concern I have is ATF changing the definition of the rockets to make mine DDs. I need to make sure I’m more protected before i make these so if anyone has ideas on what I can do , I would really appreciate input
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you thought about launching them vertically with a recovery paracute?

OROC launches out in Brothers
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:52:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JonathanwFL] [#10]
Trying to locate a M47 Dragon bipod to go on the front but in the mean time I picked up one of those Milan ATGM lightweight Tripods and a vintage Camera mount. Just need to print an adapter and tube clamp and I’ll be able to fire it from a sturdy platform

The SPIKE Rocket next to the Recoilless Round I designed so I could actually fire it on my shoulder
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Jon,

My ranch is in a bowl surrounded by cliffs and steep hillsides. I've got a 1k yard direct fire range. If you don't find somewhere better, would be happy to setup targets for you.
View Quote

I have two cousins (brother and sister) who just inherited about 20k+ acres in North Central Texas. I know that the brother would love to have you play in his yard, as long as I can watch and drool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ringsting:

I have two cousins (brother and sister) who just inherited about 20k+ acres in North Central Texas. I know that the brother would love to have you play in his yard, as long as I can watch and drool.
View Quote

The slightly bigger Version of the SPIKE has a range of 16 KM (close to 10 miles in freedom units) so mine will likely have a max range of 6-7 miles so Any shooting location would need a considerable buffer to ensure the safety of surrounding areas and people as rockets can erratically fly in failed launches
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
This video has some suggestions about a safe place to test from...

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Starting to print the final parts for the launcher and my programming team finished our computer board for the optic housing for the small on board camera and arming alarm and ammunition trigger . Next is coding all the parts

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
This video has some suggestions about a safe place to test from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf7AkSdJcD4
View Quote

I have access to a boat and could possibly make a remote floating test platform but the issue is nothing to really shoot at and not much ability to record data at sea

Also not sure what’s the legality of taking an NFA item out In international waters

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 5:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
The only downside o can think is hypersonic rockets launching near the shooter wouldn’t be a good thing.

If Carl G’s induce barotrauma to the launcher, these have to be worse.

Need a way to measure the overpressure near the launcher to make sure it’s safe.
View Quote

These rockets have a much a lower burn rate compared to explosive propellant, over pressure is less of a concern but Given how dangerous rocket exhaust plume is , and how dangerous a failed erratic rocket can be (My buddy took one the  M202 Flash rocket to the butt, thankfully survived to tell the tail). All my rockets tests will be conducted remotely with everyone extremely far away . I use black powder boost charge for on the shoulder tests given it’s a safer option for that kind of thing
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
ALL Carbon Fiber: My Fastest, Highest, Craziest Rocket YET!

You can test rockets firing straight up.  Pretty easy to float a raft in the Caribbean if you need a target.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Neat project OP. Jealous.  What's CAD package are you using?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, on this one, I think you've got pictures of the cart before the horse.  Beautiful cart though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Found a ton of great related patents that add great content for the book as well information to assist in my build

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#24]

I found an interesting patent for a hypervelocity rocket that uses standard smokeless powder grains as rocket fuel with a reentry nozzle that prevents the grains from blowing out. The trade off of simple propellant is extremely high pressure. The patent claims to have tested the concept several times and functions although, due to the heavy weight , it may underperformed.  However the combination of titanium and composite materials may make the concept feasible. The company Sparta Inc, worked on this as well as the “SPIKE” so they have a good track record

I’m going to see if there are equivalent powders available on the market to possibly replicate this concept

Patent link

I made a 3d model to show it better

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Firing My Panzerfaust at the Gun Range | Slow Motion

The launcher held up to some practice  black powder rounds, I don’t see why it couldnt handle a rocket, maybe sand bag the legs to be sure but yeah still working on this project. The main issues are finding a place to fire the rockets and saving up for a carbon fiber filament winder which is very expensive but still researching every week for more data , photos, etc . I think I’ll probably try visit the base redstone arsenal one of these days if I can get proper access to their facility and possible interviews with folks who worked on the project
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I was reading part of the patent for the rocket engine design you posted. I can't wait to see a video of it firing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, perhaps you could pursue a separate but parallel track of development with rocket motors, launching vertically with local amateur rocketry clubs or from boats offshore - you're in Florida, there's a whole lot of offshore out there.

Remarkable progress.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JonathanwFL] [#29]
Most up to date CAD drawings I’ve done with all the new information I found , still missing small components but very close to being done

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#30]
A few shots with the petals deployed

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Nazi AA liquid fueled rocket:

Taifun Surface-to-Air Rocket: Germany's WWII Supersonic Answer to Bomber Threats
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Good news : I found the formula for the rocket propellant for the Hypervelocity rocket
Bad news : I am unable to legally make the propellant as the ATF claims under 15 Micron of ammonium perchlorate is explosive material. Maybe if it’s made and turned into APCP the same day (exempt from explosive regulation) then is all above board for the ATF

Do you have thoughts @ben
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ben:

The whole "you can make explosives but not store them" is a common myth that is incorrect. You can store them, if you have a magazine that meets the requirements. The problem is simply that most people without an FEL obviously don't have a magazine.

View Quote

Slightly off topic, but to clarify...in theory...an individual without an FEL could legally store live M781 with launch blank installed, if they own a magazine (assuming all requirements in the orange book are met)?

I'm assuming transporting in an approved day box (without FEL) is a no-go?

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Building A Hypervelocity Rocket - Project Announcement
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattnh] [#37]
What makes the petals extend?  Rotation?  Exhaust gases expansion?  Both?  Do they lock out once extended?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mattnh:
What makes the petals extend?  Rotation?  Exhaust gases expansion?  Both?  Do they lock out once extended?
View Quote

They open from the rotation caused my the torque vanes and the lock in place using spring steel tab and a connecting bracket. I just haven’t CAD it up yet

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I spoke to the ATF about the legality of traveling into Federal waters with NFAs  to conduct remote testing Incase I can’t find any places on the east coast to safely test . Here’s their response, basically no form 20 needed so long as I return to the port I came from without stopping in another state or country

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Outstanding.  Have you contacted any amateur rocket societies about vertical launch opportunities?  You'd need to design a recoverable payload, they don't care for lawn darts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Outstanding.  Have you contacted any amateur rocket societies about vertical launch opportunities?  You'd need to design a recoverable payload, they don't care for lawn darts.
View Quote

I’d have to do a bunch of certification flights that would take up too much money and time to get to the ability to test the full size rocket unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#42]

I’d have to do a bunch of certification flights that would take up too much money and time to get to the ability to test the full size rocket unfortunately
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Outstanding.  Have you contacted any amateur rocket societies about vertical launch opportunities?  You'd need to design a recoverable payload, they don't care for lawn darts.

Possibly.  You could also 3-D print smaller models of your final product scaled for the certification level?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Been hit with a bunch of medical bills (twins on the way) and still paying off the Oregon—> Florida move so it’s been tough to start the propellant testing with custom made motor cases however I have the second edition of the panzerfaust book coming out end of this week so that should help a little.

In the meantime, I am quoting having some of those Smokeless powder rocket motor printed in steel and/or inconel , Titanium to test the concept as a viable alternative to a composite hypervelocity rocket. This type of rocket is a perfect candidate for printing in one single piece which simplifies manufacturing and actually cheaper than a custom made carbon fiber motor. The propellant is a commercially available smokeless powder so propellant manufacturing is greatly simplified and process times of several days per batch is cut to zero. These also have a drastically shorter burn time so in theory , it is a lot safer to test. The downside is, they are much higher pressure motor increasing the risk of CATO and it’s a proven but little known motor so a lot of unknown variables.

I’m going to start with small scale rockets , first a non NFA version in .49” Cal and then one for my fliegerfaust in 20mm since I already have stamps for that caliber . If I have successfull results I can also test in my 2” launcher and My 66mm launcher without the need for new tax stamps. I’ll probably test in spare barrels to ensure it’s safe before risking damaging the original barrels

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Is the new propellant supposed to burn up completely inside the barrel thus eliminating the hot exhaust gases to the shooter from your previous rocket motors?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Please update when the book is out so I can buy one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Is the new propellant supposed to burn up completely inside the barrel thus eliminating the hot exhaust gases to the shooter from your previous rocket motors?
View Quote

It’ll likely still burn while in flight but much faster then composite propellant

Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
Please update when the book is out so I can buy one.
View Quote

Will do !  I appreciate the support, really happy with how it came out
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#47]

It’ll likely still burn while in flight but much faster then composite propellant
View All Quotes

Ah, looking forward to the testing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#48]
After speaking with a friend in the printing industry, realized I had to adjust the design to avoid any internal supports that could not removed. Here’s the revised design. I’m going to start with some very slow propellant like IMR 8133 and work my way up to good ballistic performance. The blue section is my capacity limit so I will need to calculate how much propellant can potentially fill that space

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#49]
How are you going to get the powder in there?

That's going to be quite the bomb.  And the higher pressure goes, the faster even slow powders burn, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#50]
How are you going to get the powder in there?

That's going to be quite the bomb.  And the higher pressure goes, the faster even slow powders burn, IIRC.
View Quote

I wonder if you could spin it quickly at a 45* downward angle and trickle it in, allowing centrifugal force to move it back from the neck.
Page / 3
Hypervelocity Rockets (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top