Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

Who?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
That's cool. interesting that the pipe threads work. Also, these guys are doing some 3D printing that could apply to this project.

I got the shipping notification for my sleeve material yesterday.

Who?

Crap, forgot to add the link. D and S creations
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Just as an aside, you don't need a full-length tube.  The WWII US M2 81mm was pretty short
View Quote

Yeah, even the current US 81 is shorter than the Yugo. Considering that I doubt I'll ever have a place to shoot 4km, I'm not too worried.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]

This is the 81mm mortar sub-caliber trainer.  The sub-cal barrel fits inside the 81mm tube.  Each round is fired with a 12-gauge blank, and a .22 blank gives off a "Pop" when it impacts:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/81mm_sub-cal_trainer_jpg-3160676.JPG
View Quote

Almost right. They're a .22 blank used as the launching charge. I had one for quite some time but got rid of it as it would kill me if I ever lost one of the rounds. They also come with spacers for the 60mm and 4.2 inch mortar.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes
That's cool. interesting that the pipe threads work. Also, these guys are doing some 3D printing that could apply to this project.

I got the shipping notification for my sleeve material yesterday.

Who?

Ah, lol yeah, I linked their YouTube video in the weaponsguild  thread. Their video just released today too, it was pretty good with lots of ideas.lol I seriously need a 3d printer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one that I haven't used in a while. I'm thinking that In a traditional mortar like ours, metal is going to be required in the fin assembly. I think that the shotgun blank would blow a plastic one apart. But perhaps I could print fins that could slip over a piece of pipe to make the assembly. I'm going to draw something up in Solidworks this week.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
For sure, I think it's the 1 inch pipe that the 12G shell fits in. Having the 3d printed fin assembly slip over the pipe and making sure the vent holes overlap could probably help in them not blowing up into pieces. Lol. Also got to cap off one end so it doesn't just blow everything through the other opening in the pipe.

But 3d printing bodies is where it could get interesting. I believe Ben was talking about this in this thread well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:37:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MHIDPA] [#7]
No doubt on printed projectiles. Those guys were printing fuses and everything. BTW did you see the WG thread where the guy modified the dummy fuse to work with a 20Ga blank?

ETA, it looks like SCH 40 3/4 Pipe has an ID of .824 which is probably too big to hold a 12ga shell without a cap. My inert round measures .809 which is a perfect snug slip fit.  

SCH 80 has an ID of .742, so it could be bored pretty easily.

A sold base on the projectile would negate the need for a plug on the fin assembly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#8]
No doubt on printed projectiles. Those guys were printing fuses and everything. BTW did you see the WG thread where the guy modified the dummy fuse to work with a 20Ga blank?

ETA, it looks like SCH 40 3/4 Pipe has an ID of .824 which is probably too big to hold a 12ga shell without a cap. My inert round measures .809 which is a perfect snug slip fit.  

A sold base on the projectile would negate the need for a plug on the fin assembly.
View All Quotes

Link to the thread?

What type of solid base are you thinking of for the projo?

Edit:

A little insight into their PD fuze. lol

@DandSCreations
@DandSCreations
21 hours ago
Nail, primer, and primary explosive compound. Proper fitment is critical to prevent tube detonation. Also incorporates a safety pin for handling, the whole detonator unscrews with a wrench in case there is need for safe transportation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=97065.0

Basically I'm thinking that the body would have a blind hole that the fin assembly threads into. Essentially capping the fin tube.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, that is awesome. No wonder I missed it, it's in another section of the forum.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Worked on my firing pin tonight.
Reprofiled the tip that had been milled off and set the shoulder back to get protrusion. I ended up with .058 protrusion.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Before and after.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MHIDPA] [#13]
I got a pretty big step finished tonight. I got my sleeve completed. I got a piece of 4" OD X . 25 wall A513 DOM tubing and turned/bored/threaded it.  Next step will be to face and turn the beach end of the barrel, press on the sleeve and weld it in place. Also weld the bore obstruction holes and then turn/smooth everything out and I should be ready to fire.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, that's cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Started some Solid models tonight. Body and fin assembly. I think I'll use a piece of SCH 80 3/4 Pipe to hold the 12ga lift charge and the fins. I can epoxy the fins to it to use as a drill template and the shoulder would also keep them in place. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MHIDPA] [#16]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Started some Solid models tonight. Body and fin assembly. I think I'll use a piece of SCH 80 3/4 Pipe to hold the 12ga lift charge and the fins. I can epoxy the fins to it to use as a drill template and the shoulder would also keep them in place. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/1000002554_jpg-3175125.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/1000002553_jpg-3175126.JPG
View Quote

What is the purpose of the smaller cavity between the fins and nose?  And how do you plan to make that? 3D printing?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes 3D printing basically i just put it there to remove some volume and make a shelf for whatever payload I put in it. That could be adjusted/removed based on payload.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]
How do you get the 12 ga shell out of the tube after firing?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MHIDPA] [#20]
Either cut an extraction notch in the base or just unscrew the fin assembly and punch it out from the top. Probably the latter, because the hull gets blown out through the vent holes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:  Either cut an extraction notch in the base or just unscrew the fin assembly and punch it out from the top. Probably the latter, because the hull gets blown out through the vent holes.
View Quote

Ah, b/c the shell is retained in the projectile, not left behind in the tube.  Nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I miss read your original question. I thought you meant the fin assembly tube.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Started some Solid models tonight. Body and fin assembly. I think I'll use a piece of SCH 80 3/4 Pipe to hold the 12ga lift charge and the fins. I can epoxy the fins to it to use as a drill template and the shoulder would also keep them in place. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/1000002554_jpg-3175125.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/1000002553_jpg-3175126.JPG
View Quote

Looks good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#24]
Finally got the barrel about a week or two ago and finished painting it along with the cup and other small parts that I had left over that needed paint from when I refinished the bipod. All I need to do is add the white line like on the factory tube and yellow fill the stamped info on the cup like how it came from factory. Just two or three more weeks till test fire.

Also ended up extending the threads on the pipe so I could thread it through the threaded ring adapter and then just thread on the cap to have a more astheticly pleasing fuze head. Will see how this works once I do the test fire.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks good. I should have a good update this week. Did you do anything to repair the holes in the cup?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Just as an aside, you don't need a full-length tube.  The WWII US M2 81mm was pretty short.

https://www.ima-usa.com/cdn/shop/files/[email protected]?v=1695858356

View Quote
@Sinister that's a 60mm WWII M2 or post war M19 Mortar type.    Chinese also made a Type 31 almost identical.

But the Germans made the 8,0cm kurz Grenat Werfer 42 "Stummelwerfer"  (Stubby) or sometimes called Slingshot, an 80mm short tube on a copy of the French Brandt 60mm Bipod and Baseplate.      Bowman has a few of the 81mm tube/baseplates left for sale, I thought about doing the kz GrW 42 using one of the repro 60mm M5 baseplates from Sarcoinc.com     Since folks are just "werfing" trainer-type low pressure rounds, there's no point carrying around all the extra weight. Used to be able to find the M5 Bipod main crossbars NOS for about $100.   Some 1"-10TPI Acme threaded rod for the traversing and elevation mechanism.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Something like this using 81mm M800-series ammunition at reduced charge, like were allowed to be used in the older US M29A1 Mortar System, for SOF use in Afghanistan, a little heavier than the M224A1 60mm, but with a much larger casualty radius , and ability to use the newer PGM series rounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#27]
Looks good. I should have a good update this week. Did you do anything to repair the holes in the cup?
View Quote

No, mine was one of the unmolested ones, so it only has one but it doesn't go all the way to the bottom so the cup and the barrel should seal up tight. I might get someone to weld it up and fix the threads in the welded section later.

Sharpied the area in the threads where the hole lines up, this is with the cup just screwed down all the way.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, it's complete. Re-assembled the bi pod last night and threw it up to take a pic.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks great! Now go shoot it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
very nice, never seen one that looked that good, they all had 4, 5 layers of paint layers showing through chips.   I did strip an M3A1 aluminum 81mm baseplate down to anodized metal then painted it OD for a dog & pony show for the 4 Powers in Berlin.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#31]
View All Quotes

Thanks, unfortunately, it has to wait till next weekend.

Originally Posted By stoner63a:
very nice, never seen one that looked that good, they all had 4, 5 layers of paint layers showing through chips.   I did strip an M3A1 aluminum 81mm baseplate down to anodized metal then painted it OD for a dog & pony show for the 4 Powers in Berlin.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Do these mortars have a specific place on the tube that the clamp goes?

The more I look into them, the more I see how many ways people have tried to improve on them. So many different designs and ideas. My buddy has a Russian 50mm Mortar with fixed elevation but it bleeds off Gass at the bottom to determine range. My 60mm Spanish Modelo 51 sits with a tripod instead of bipod, and the tube slides freely in the "clamp," so recoil doesn't affect the sights and you don't need a shock absorber setup. Some (m224 for example) have fixed spots for the bipod to clamp on to, so you just kinda set it up and adjust to the angles you need.

My favorite recent realization is how the Japanese type 89 knee mortar has a rifled barrel, and some vents from the launch charge push out on the copper(?) driving band during firing. So it's undersized when loading, then engages the rifling on firing. So no lining up the rifling.

Sorry for my mortar fascination rant.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Do these mortars have a specific place on the tube that the clamp goes?

The more I look into them, the more I see how many ways people have tried to improve on them. So many different designs and ideas. My buddy has a Russian 50mm Mortar with fixed elevation but it bleeds off Gass at the bottom to determine range. My 60mm Spanish Modelo 51 sits with a tripod instead of bipod, and the tube slides freely in the "clamp," so recoil doesn't affect the sights and you don't need a shock absorber setup. Some (m224 for example) have fixed spots for the bipod to clamp on to, so you just kinda set it up and adjust to the angles you need.

My favorite recent realization is how the Japanese type 89 knee mortar has a rifled barrel, and some vents from the launch charge push out on the copper(?) driving band during firing. So it's undersized when loading, then engages the rifling on firing. So no lining up the rifling.

Sorry for my mortar fascination rant.
View Quote

No worries, all this is interesting to me, anyways lol.

That said, the og yugo barrels don't have a clamp index point on the barrel other than a vertical painted white stripe that I believe is used for bore sighting. A while back I was trying to find the area in the tube to best place the clamp on. I was going by what the brochure of the system says, "Vertical field of action 45° to 85°". I used an angle gauge, set the bipod clamp's height to it's lowest point and set the clamp close to the taper on the tube, then ran the clamp up the barrel until it hit 45 degrees, marked the barrel with a white line across. If I remember correctly, if you keep the bipod clamp set in the 45 degree spot, you won't hit further than 60 70 degrees give or take when you elevate the barrel, so you have to move the clamp back down the tube some more till you get the desired high angle.

The ukrainians and russians put two index points on their barrels, one for low angle fire and the other for high angle fire. In the pic below, you can see where the barrel clamp is on the tube, then if you look up the barrel, you'll see a spot where the clamp fits into as well.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Their next shipment of 81mm mortars are the Italian copies of the Brandt Mle 27/31. I really need them to import more shells tho.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Would cheese work/combust with how you guys are setting these up?  And is it even available and legal to possess?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By juan223:
Would cheese work/combust with how you guys are setting these up?  And is it even available and legal to possess?
View Quote

Idk about cheese specifically but if you roll it back to WW2 increment charges, those would work fine.
Operational range for these is ~9k PSI, 15k PSI is a pissin hot modern full cheese nato guided round. So Idk if I would want to throw surplus cheese in even if you somehow had it.

Ill be experimenting with inc charges once I finish shell casting
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Even full WW2 style increment charges are at about 720 gr of powder including the lift charge. I think theoretically you can set off factory cheese charges with a home rolled lift charge, not sure if amount of powder on the lift charge will affect it (modern ammo tech manuals say not to fire a full increment charge with older mortars, but you can probably do charge two). But like 7insert said, don't know where you'd find live cheese charges, you can find inert ones from time to time tho.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Their next shipment of 81mm mortars are the Italian copies of the Brandt Mle 27/31. I really need them to import more shells tho.
View Quote

Almost $1500 per, not quite as good as the yugo deal, but these are pretty much an exact version of the US WW2 M1 81mm mortar IIRC.

I am planning on buying one if I get the chance. Should have my 60mm Spanish model 51 done soon. Just got word that the cup is finished.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I've met some guys that made/make increment charges out of empty tea bags.  You can nitrate them if you want the best burn, but they typically exit the tube anyway. Just use bullseye powder for the charge.

I was thinking of trying to 3d print donut charges out of something like foam PLA or TPU, but in reality I'll likely never shoot far enough to need them
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Almost $1500 per, not quite as good as the yugo deal, but these are pretty much an exact version of the US WW2 M1 81mm mortar IIRC.

I am planning on buying one if I get the chance. Should have my 60mm Spanish model 51 done soon. Just got word that the cup is finished.
View All Quotes

Nice, did you get someone to make you a cup from scratch?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#43]

I've met some guys that made/make increment charges out of empty tea bags.  You can nitrate them if you want the best burn, but they typically exit the tube anyway. Just use bullseye powder for the charge.

I was thinking of trying to 3d print donut charges out of something like foam PLA or TPU, but in reality I'll likely never shoot far enough to need them
View All Quotes

I was wondering how well the old Russian style increment charges could be replicated. They seem like a cotton rag sowed into a tube filled with powder that you just tied around the fins shaft.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I had Vega/destructivedevices.com make me a cup after working out a deal with them. I'll keep the details private but it ended up being a mutually beneficial arrangement.  I may still make my own permanent/welded cup and tube as I have a hankering for a commando style mortar.

There were some 81mm increment charges the US used between the cheese sheets and the "C" donuts. They were long tubes of cotton(?) That had extra string on them and they were tied around the tail section. These were used in the rounds that had tapered tail assemblies. I have seen a guy that had some very nice repros made by his wife with here sewing machine.

You just need to use a material that is thin and flammable enough that it won't clog up the tube/firing pin. Though even the military mortars show bits of charges flying out the tube behind the projectile. Tea bags are just convenient as they are already mostly assembled and you can buy them in packs on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I had Vega/destructivedevices.com make me a cup after working out a deal with them. I'll keep the details private but it ended up being a mutually beneficial arrangement.  I may still make my own permanent/welded cup and tube as I have a hankering for a commando style mortar.

There were some 81mm increment charges the US used between the cheese sheets and the "C" donuts. They were long tubes of cotton(?) That had extra string on them and they were tied around the tail section. These were used in the rounds that had tapered tail assemblies. I have seen a guy that had some very nice repros made by his wife with here sewing machine.

You just need to use a material that is thin and flammable enough that it won't clog up the tube/firing pin. Though even the military mortars show bits of charges flying out the tube behind the projectile. Tea bags are just convenient as they are already mostly assembled and you can buy them in packs on amazon.
View Quote

That's right, forgot about those. The Vietnam era-ish charges. Also saw that thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like Destructive Devices is making TRUMP rounds again in 60 and 81.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

That's good. Bonetti makes their own version that is pretty cool and a bit smaller. Both are too pricey for me to buy more than a couple, so I'll work on making my own. I bet they'd be great packed with chalk and plugged with plastic caps
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I agree, I'm glad I have the ability to do a lot of this myself. There is no way I could afford it any other way. It would be nice if Bowman could get more inert rounds in at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:40:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#50]

That's good. Bonetti makes their own version that is pretty cool and a bit smaller. Both are too pricey for me to buy more than a couple, so I'll work on making my own. I bet they'd be great packed with chalk and plugged with plastic caps
View All Quotes

Bonetti will only sell if you F1 each round as a DD tho. (unless you have the licenses to make DDs forgot which one it was in which case, you can just buy them.)
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top