Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2012 9:38:23 AM EDT
My VLTOR SCAR VCAS in black arrived today. Their version of FDE has already shipped as well.

Included were; 2 - side plates, 1 - short accessory rail, 1-  lower / main hand guard assy, screws and instructions. Very nicely made I must say, but most noticeable was the weight, or lack thereof. The lower assembly weighed in at 6 oz, and the slide plates were 1 oz each. The single rail piece and all screws were about 1.5 oz combined.

Update: Installed the rail and it went fairly well. Feels great in the hand and feels well balanced, and doesn't seem to put as much weight out front as other rail extensions I've handled. Not that it's lighter, the weight is dispersed across a longer portion and isn't all up front. I like the smooth surface and that it replaces the lower rail, even at the expense of a little more work to change the barrel. Will post some pics later.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting...how much did they run ya?
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The aluminum heat shield inside kind of looks like it was hand fab'd on the second picture, but maybe it's just the picture itself.

Otherwise, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how it looks installed, and how functional it is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Interested to see it installed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The aluminum heat shield inside kind of looks like it was hand fab'd on the second picture, but maybe it's just the picture itself.

Otherwise, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how it looks installed, and how functional it is.

Yeah, is it just the pic or did they really drop it on the deck and step on it?

Also, how heavy is it (compared to the parts it replaces) and can the barrel still be pulled w/o removing it.

I'm very interested, but, part of the reason I bought the SCAR was because it's light. Making it heavier isn't on my list of 'to-dos'.

H
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's the pic. I assure you that the heat shiled is as straight and centered as can be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also, how heavy is it (compared to the parts it replaces) and can the barrel still be pulled w/o removing it.

I'm very interested, but, part of the reason I bought the SCAR was because it's light. Making it heavier isn't on my list of 'to-dos'.

H

I'm guessing a little bit heavier than the parts which were removed. Ican weigh the other parts tomorrow.

The lower / main handguard has to be revoved to take the barrel off. The side / upper plates which are installed first remain.

I think any extension of the rail will make the rifle heavier, you cant get something without giving something up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Please do post pics once you have it installed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
received mine today as well.  I purchased the extension too, photos to come.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
do the sides (or any part) contact the upper in any way?
I dont mind using my rifles and the marks they get that way, but I'd be sorta irritated to buy something that immediately rubbed the anodizing off the upper of my expensive rifle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you post a picture from further out so we can see how it looks overall?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Whats the point?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It felt and handled great at shot.  Looking forward to more info.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whats the point?

Extended rails without being overly heavy. I assume you can add rails where you want, and only where you want, similar to the modular rail systems for ARs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh......
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
So what went into installing this?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
do the sides (or any part) contact the upper in any way?
I dont mind using my rifles and the marks they get that way, but I'd be sorta irritated to buy something that immediately rubbed the anodizing off the upper of my expensive rifle.

The lower portion of the smaller side plates sits flush against the receiver over the area where the factory side rails were. The upper portion on the side plates with the threaded inserts does not make contact.

The lower / main hand guard fastens to the side plates, and also at two points below where the factory lower rail was attached.

I do not foresee any rubbing or wearing of the receivers finish, with the only possible exception being maybe a couple of witness hole marks where the plate was drilled for the screws.

Quoted:

Soon

Quoted:
So what went into installing this?

The removal of the lower rail (2 - torx) they were pretty tight I applied heat for a couple of minutes with a soldering iron.

The removal of the side rails, and because the side rail nuts will fall into the barrel channel it's just easier to remove the barrel to get them back in place.

Re install barrel, and screw the side plates in place of the side rails, then position and screw the main / lower handguard using two screws to where the bottom rail was, and then fasten it to the side plate using 3 screws per side.

The instructions say to leave the side plates loose until you get alignment to the lower / main hand guard and then re-tighten the side plates later. This is incorrect because once the lower / main hand guard is installed, you cannot access the screws on the side plate. The slots in the main / lower hand guard allows you to see a portion of them but not quite enough to tighten them. The only way to fully tighten the side plate is with the main handguard off. This could be corrected in manufacturing by re positioning some of the slots in the main hand guard. I do not see this as an issue as once the side plates are installed, even if kept loose, there isn't a lot of movement required for it to align to the main hand guard. If someone were to have issues with this it would just take a bit of trial and error of moving the side plates around. Even if the screws had loctite on them you would have time to do this before it cured.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, that looks pretty nice.

Does it work for the SCAR-H / Mk. 17, do you know?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Does it work for the SCAR-H / Mk. 17, do you know?

Yes, will work with both the Light and Heavy models.

OP, nice rail and thanks for the pics.  To me it looks a little ACR-ish.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks good, feels good, works good?

That was the "gold standard" or bottom line test that we used for orthopedic tools for many years.
Or, if You're happy, I 'm happy. Rifle looks very functional and lean. Good choice.

FDFenn
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How does it look with the extension, pic if you can. Thx!
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does it look with the extension, pic if you can. Thx!

Just wondering if you were able to take pics?  Did you also buy the black or the tan?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top