"soft" color camo wise and doesn't
scream weapon like black would.

Any ideas or info?

Sorry if my post doesn't make
sense grammatically. I am
sorta half asleep.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
black is a color that doesnt show up in nature as pure black.

when using NVG or other I2 devices black equipment stands out like a beacon, but the FDE(tan) blends in at night and doesnt provide a contrast like a black rifle does

that is the primary reason they are going to FDE
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
What about in a straight up woodland
environment?

Would FDE(Coyote) still be better than
black?  

I'm just saying because the M16 and M4s
have always been dark or blackish colored.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The short answer is yes. There has been research on the subject.

Both USMC marpat uniforms are brown based. Likewise for multicam.

In a typical forest there are lots of browns. Dead foliage and dirt are brown, as are tree trunks. Especially low to the ground where soldiers tend to conceal themselves.

M16's existing in black or grey has more to do with manufacturing technique and tradition then anything else, it's the normal way you would finish the aluminum parts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
That's sorta what I figured.

Makes sense though.

Most of woodland is indeed brown especially
where most troops tend to locate near tree trunks,
ground, dead leaves etc.

Well, I guess I am going to order my
SCAR16S in tan(coyote) instead of black.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
They dropped the 16 like a hot potato and have small numbers of 17s.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]
You can find lots of pictures of SOF using SCAR17s in FDE.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]

I remember this pic...

But for the most part, I've seen DEA field agents using them (as per youtube video of DEA Agents engaging Taliban in Afghanistan).

And the SCAR-17s are used by SOF, mainly SFOD-D.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#10]
CAG has KAC carbines too, I haven't heard much about them using SCARs. Are you sure the guy in the pic is with CAG? The optic, suppressor mount, helmet and armor are not items that I would associate with CAG.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I just want a 16S.

I'm fine with the 5.56.

I don't want a 7.62
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The short answer is yes. There has been research on the subject.

Both USMC marpat uniforms are brown based. Likewise for multicam.

In a typical forest there are lots of browns. Dead foliage and dirt are brown, as are tree trunks. Especially low to the ground where soldiers tend to conceal themselves.

M16's existing in black or grey has more to do with manufacturing technique and tradition then anything else, it's the normal way you would finish the aluminum parts.

+1

Just look at most deer, rabbits, and woodland creatures. They are this ubiquitous brown color that blends in with almost everything including green grass and foliage. Just copy whatever natural camouflage is used by prey animals and you're golden.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Here are some of my guns,  Looking through a ITT NEPVS14.

The tan/FDE will blend in, as the black will stick out.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the current going price for a SCAR16S?

I know panic should be dying down.

Ammo is slowly trickling back. 30 rd mags can
be seen on shelves again in gunshops.

I am actually seeing AR15s in store walls
again.

Hopefully panic is fading and supplies and
prices are slowing returning to normal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

again.

fat chance
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

again.

They weren't cheap before the panic. I paid $2500 for mine last fall. There is a SCAR 17 with the bidding up to $3525 with an hour left to go. No 16s close to ending right now over there. Closest one is $1800 with a couple days of bidding left.

H
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

CAG has KAC carbines too, I haven't heard much about them using SCARs. Are you sure the guy in the pic is with CAG? The optic, suppressor mount, helmet and armor are not items that I would associate with CAG.

Yeah, in the photo above, that rifle is waaay too pristine to have seen use by the .mil, especially operators that get a lot of training.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/weapons/rangers-scar.jpg

I remember this pic...

But for the most part, I've seen DEA field agents using them (as per youtube video of DEA Agents engaging Taliban in Afghanistan).

And the SCAR-17s are used by SOF, mainly SFOD-D.

http://images-kitup.military.com/wp-content/gallery/scar-pics-in-the-combat-zone/scar-seal-1.jpg

I remember a video that had DEA doing a raid in Afghanistan but they were supported by SEALs and the SEALs had the SCARS. I think of all the units using the SCAR Delta is the one I have never seen (pics) of. The above pic is a ODA member Im almost sure. I remember the caption with the picture.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#19]
SEALs love the SCAR. But I've never seen one in a pic of CAG and only heard of it being used there once, from a source I don't trust. Now if I saw a Crye or OPS-Core helmet, Short Dot and more Crye nylon in that picture I'd hesitate, but I don't think thats CAG.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SEALs love the SCAR. But I've never seen one in a pic of CAG and only heard of it being used there once, from a source I don't trust. Now if I saw a Crye or OPS-Core helmet, Short Dot and more Crye nylon in that picture I'd hesitate, but I don't think thats CAG.

Haven't really seen any SEAL pics with SCARs, just M4A1s, 416s, and MP7s. It'd be interesting to get some information on NSW's use of the SCAR if you have any info.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I've seen some pictures here and heard some stories from friends and acquaintances. It's either on this site or you'd have to talk to people I know about it...
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't really seen any SEAL pics with SCARs, just M4A1s, 416s, and MP7s. It'd be interesting to get some information on NSW's use of the SCAR if you have any info.

Seriously? If you look at the majority of pics of SEALs you will see a SCAR and lots of over seas pictures youll see more SCARs then mk18s.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? If you look at the majority of pics of SEALs you will see a SCAR and lots of over seas pictures youll see more SCARs then mk18s.

Seriously. I haven't really seen many SEAL pic lately anyways. If you could point me towards an appropriate thread I'd appreciate it. They closed SOF pic thread a while back, and the majority of "cool-guy" pics I've seen have been in the M4A1 SOPMOD Block II thread.

ETA: Jack, your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nearly all those SCARs were in the
tan coloring.

I wonder why that is.

I know they are in the desert and tan makes
good camo sense, but there is also one
picture of them in the swamp or jungle with
a tan SCAR.

Why not black? Wouldn't black
be more versatile?

I know tan colors can also blend into
woodland. Brown can afterall be found
in the woods.

My only theory is that tan is a more
"soft" color camo wise and doesn't
scream weapon like black would.

Any ideas or info?

Sorry if my post doesn't make
sense grammatically. I am
sorta half asleep.

FN only made the black SCARs for the civilian market a year after releasing the tan rifles to the public.  There was and is no desire by the military to buy them in black.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
its because FDE is known to be more accurate
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

NSW uses the SCAR 17, not 16. A SEAL from the WC told me that DEVGRU did have HK417s but they were running into reliability problems. They switched to the SCAR 17.

I've never seen a picture of CAG with a SCAR either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously. I haven't really seen many SEAL pic lately anyways. If you could point me towards an appropriate thread I'd appreciate it. They closed SOF pic thread a while back, and the majority of "cool-guy" pics I've seen have been in the M4A1 SOPMOD Block II thread.

ETA: Jack, your inbox is full.

If you go to militaryphotos.net or gearsoc they both have running threads on SEALs and loaded with pics of them using SCARs. I dont know of any threads on arfcom with pics.

Heres a few copy pasted from the threads listed above.

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Seeing a lot of the new FN flash hider, any pics of the can?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seeing a lot of the new FN flash hider, any pics of the can?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm fairly sure that this is the new suppressor:

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#30]
That's it.

The one I handled rotated quite a lot on the mount and seemed complicated. I'm not sure I like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Matt what scope are you rockin in FDE, first rifle on left?  I like it...
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#32]
A good buddy of mine with the SEALs says SCAR 17s are popular...no more 16s.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#33]
No offense against SOF, but I
wouldn't buy a gun solely because
SOF use them.

I do plan on buying a SCAR16s though.

Hear great things about it!

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I also wish I could get my hands
on the USMC's IAR.

I hear wonderful things about that
gun.  Unfortunately I wouldn't be able
to get my hands on a full auto one
unless on base.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Now that I'm finding more SCAR/SOF pics, I'm seeing a lot of what look like 13" guns. Having a good amount of time on 12" .308s I'm not really seeing much benefit to .308s below 16, possibly 14.5" at the shortest.

Anyone have any input as to the reasoning for such short .308s?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Now that I'm finding more SCAR/SOF pics, I'm seeing a lot of what look like 13" guns. Having a good amount of time on 12" .308s I'm not really seeing much benefit to .308s below 16, possibly 14.5" at the shortest.

Anyone have any input as to the reasoning for such short .308s?

CDI
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#37]
FDE gets much less hot in direct sunlight...  leave a black stocked gun in the AZ sun for just 5 minutes and its damn hot against your cheek.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I know I have seen SOCOM Airmen with them also - 17's that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top