Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

M249s (Page 4 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Picked mine up today.

Missed the opportunity on the last run and didn’t have the cash when one became available

The packing grease is legit. Spent a half hour getting it wiped down and there is still plenty in the to clean.

Excited to get out next week.
Hopefully the trigger softens a bit, as others have stated, “she’s heavy!”
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#2]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
Yep.  As the economy and market drops, in addition to those who really wanted one already getting them right out of the gate, AND FN's crappy trigger job on the new version, I think we're going to see the prices continue to fall on these, not unlike the first run where eventually, dealers were selling these for well below cost just to get them sold.
View Quote
Does anyone think the dealer cost will decrease?
Has that happened before (with the earlier runs) from FN?

I would think not, but then again I never expected RSR to clearance out all those Steyr AUG mags for $7 each back in 2013 either.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Does anyone think the dealer cost will decrease?
Has that happened before (with the earlier runs) from FN?

I would think not, but then again I never expected RSR to clearance out all those Steyr AUG mags for $7 each back in 2013 either.
View Quote
Maybe if FN determines there's enough demand to scale? I'm curious if these are made entirely for the collector market or if FN found themselves with some extra parts and whipped up a closed-bolt receiver to help move some parts while they chase contracts for their new Evolys. The receiver, bolt, hammer, and even the Para barrel are specific to civilians so I could see a case where they look at the civilian market and see dollar signs.

Evolys if anyone has missed it:

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've come across several different answers but am hoping someone here can confirm the M249s barrel muzzle thread pitch and does the M249s para have a permanently attached muzzle device? Looking to possibly eventually suppress it.
Im still on the fence between a M249s and M240-SLR, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By kalashnikov47:
I've come across several different answers but am hoping someone here can confirm the M249s barrel muzzle thread pitch and does the M249s para have a permanently attached muzzle device? Looking to possibly eventually suppress it.
Im still on the fence between a M249s and M240-SLR, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Suppressing-the-M249-5-56-and-300BLK/20-535476/&page=1

Join me on the journey.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lumpyboy] [#6]
9/16 x 24 LH. If you want to suppress, get the para barrel, remove the flash hider, add a surefire muzzle brake (socom  mk46) to get to 16.1” (I needed a crush washer but others have not), pin and weld or silver solder it, and then use one of their suppressors. Keeps the OAL manageable.  Or just remove the muzzle brake on the long barrel and add your suppressor. Makes for long OAL though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lumpyboy:
9/16 x 24 LH. If you want to suppress, get the para barrel, remove the flash hider, add a surefire muzzle brake (socom  mk46) to get to 16.1" (I needed a crush washer but others have not), pin and weld or silver solder it, and then use one of their suppressors. Keeps the OAL manageable.  Or just remove the muzzle brake on the long barrel and add your suppressor. Makes for long OAL though.
View Quote
You sure about this? I bought a mk46 barrel because they're allegedly longer than the Para (though I've never seen them side by side and could easily see the mk46 barrel just being a lightened Para barrel) and mine still needed ~0.25" of shimming to get to exactly 16" with the Surefire SF3P MK46. The rear of my SF3P is just a hair over ~1.385" out from the front of the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lumpyboy] [#8]
I'm just relaying what folks over on the FN forum have had for experience plus my own personal experience with the standard USGI para barrel, which we know is shorter than the 249s para barrel (which has a small extension built in).  I believe that the USGI para barrel is 13 7/8".  But if you remove the flash hider and add the SF3P MK46 you can get around 16".  I needed one washer to get to just under 16.1".  One of the guys on the forum was able to get his to 16"+ without the washer.  I don't know about the MK46 barrel.  It might be slightly longer, like 14", based on what I've seen on the web for measurements.  In any event, I went the USGI route b/c I know you can remove the flash hider and then add your own barrel extension and/or longer flash hider to get to 16" (pin and weld or silver solder 1100), and the surefire allows you to mount their suppressor.  And to measure, put barrel  on the firearm, close the bolt, stick dowel or cleaning rod down the muzzle and measure from bolt face to end of flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ehtacs] [#9]
Alright I broke mine down for some measurements!.. It looks like the mk46 barrel is the same length as the para coming in at 13.875" from bolt face to muzzle shoulder. This makes sense - it appears it's just a lightened para barrel after all. I measured two Surefire SF3P-MK46 devices I had on hand and both were exactly 2.00" from the inside shoulder to the end of the prongs. Installed, this unsurprisingly shook out to damn near 15.875" from the bolt face to the end of the prongs.

So, for anyone wanting to install a M249 para barrel or mk46 barrel on your M249s at their stated 13.875" length with a Surefire SF3P-556-MK46, you'll need a shim: 0.340 ID, 0.490 OD, and 0.125" height minimum to reach a legal length. Anyone not doing that much may be getting it close and maybe good enough for some!.. I just wouldn't want to advertise that as fact. There is, of course, the possibility that people are using custom cut barrels and, albeit less likely, FN is churning out some para barrels at an even 14" or longer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, same as my analysis. Basically need 1/8” to get to 16”. Helpful to have confirmation. Thx.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Any thoughts on purchasing these now that they are reported to have a bad trigger?  I had been thinking about and saving for a purchase but am torn now given some of the reports I have seen.  

Also, any perspective on whether these would still be a good investment and whether the appreciation we are likely to see on them will exceed what may happen with other rifles? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#12]
Originally Posted By ds1:
Any thoughts on purchasing these now that they are reported to have a bad trigger?  I had been thinking about and saving for a purchase but am torn now given some of the reports I have seen.  

Also, any perspective on whether these would still be a good investment and whether the appreciation we are likely to see on them will exceed what may happen with other rifles? Thanks!
View Quote

These are the only game in town, so if you want an M249S, it's not like you can just wait until another one comes along with a better trigger.  Your only other option outside of DIY, is to find an M249S from an older batch that hasn't been sent back for the recall work - and I'd imagine that those are not going to be easy to find.

As for investment...  who knows?  The only data we have on that is what happened with the previous run of M249S's close to a decade ago.  They initially sold for about the same price as current release, then dropped in price ~20% as dealers tried to move the last remaining few and then over the course of the next few years, climbed up slowly.  Right before FN announced their plans to sell new ones again, if you wanted to buy one, it would cost about $15K - about 50% over MSRP.  New versus used (not abused) didn't really seem to matter much.  The problem with trying to justify one as purely an investment is that it's created by demand.  Demand from these new batch of FN's is going to be purely from collectors, as they do not do anything better than just a basic $500 AR-15.  If the economy tanks, I can't imagine these going up in value much, as they may be the first to flood the market from collectors who want to get $$.  Further, their value is really tied to what FN does with them.  Will FN release batches every few years, or now that the military has seemingly moved on from M249's, will FN stop producing them?  Who knows?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for your thoughts jtb33!  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ehtacs] [#14]
Bought a Para stock and damn near threw it out - it now lives in a bucked at the back of a closet. The Savit, though... Never wanted one until I found myself struggling to use the EOTech 3x. Talked to a few gunners who said the USMC ACOG was a pain to use, too. The Savit makes it easy. Hands down the best stock for the M249 and the shorter LOP helps with the ol' nutsack reach around too. It's heavy, though, weighing more than the larger standard stock and the para stock. Ran around with this yesterday and it's pretty damn workable now! Trigger isn't bad but I'm looking forward to possible upgrades.

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
All the stocks have their place.  The original clubfoot probably looks the best.  The Para folds to the most compact.  The Savit you have pictured is a good all-around one and inexpensive.  I think that's the second best stock for the M249.  For functionality, I like the newest hydraulic lightweight M249 stock the best:

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh that's nice!! Does the PIP bipod still bother you with the VFG? I upgraded then both bipods ended up in the closet. Also what receiver is that?!

I still have my fingers crossed I'll stumble past some Mod 2 furniture:

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
Oh that's nice!! Does the PIP bipod still bother you with the VFG? I upgraded then both bipods ended up in the closet. Also what receiver is that?!

I still have my fingers crossed I'll stumble past some Mod 2 furniture:

https://fnherstal.com/app/uploads/1701_002_FN_MINIMI_5_56_Mk3_Tactical_SB-1536x1025.png
View Quote
That's a Mk46 Mod2 with an HK pack lower.     The bipod doesn't get in the way, really - it splits the VFG.  Mostly, I just like having all the accessories so that I can change it out to any config.  Still looking for a Minimi HG and stock though.

I have my regular FN one as well though (pre-recall):

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Is m855 the way to go with these?

Had mine out last week and had 2 malfunctions after about 30rds each time shooting magtech 55gr
Appeared to have trouble stripping off the link
Called it quits early to bring it back and clean it up again.

Loaded up some green tips for next week.

Also, the trigger is stiff, but I don’t think it’s that bad.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By los28z:
Is m855 the way to go with these?

Had mine out last week and had 2 malfunctions after about 30rds each time shooting magtech 55gr
Appeared to have trouble stripping off the link
Called it quits early to bring it back and clean it up again.

Loaded up some green tips for next week.

Also, the trigger is stiff, but I don't think it's that bad.
View Quote
I went through a belt over the weekend with scrap ammo... All brass but Remington, Prvi, Wolf Gold, S&B, etc. No issues! I recall seeing notes to hit the inside of links with a small drop of oil in some cases and to, overall, not use steel case, but mine hasn't given me trouble after the first hundred or so rounds. 223 can be loaded lighter than 556 though the Magtech 55gr looks like an M193 loading.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Not mine, First Gen for sale with the good trigger

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1788661
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#21]
for those wondering about suppression on a M249S, I purchased an 18in barrel and it was threaded 1/2x28, mounted my YHM muzzle device, ran a YHM Turbo K through 60rds via belt, no issues whatsoever. ran great, it was pretty awesome. I may keep my para barrel as is and use the 18in for suppression.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Can someone tell me what the benefit of the "updated bipod" is?

Also, what is the easiest way to ID the updated bipod from an original bopod? It appears that the updated bipod is rounded on the sides of the legs that face outwards and the latching holes are keyhole shaped, whereas the older bipod is flat on the outside of the legs and the latching holes are rectangular. Is that correct?

Are there more than two versions?

Thanks for the accessories pic @jtb33 you posted above.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
The original M249 bipod collapses so the legs touch - they can be stowed together and captured by features on the bottom-center of the handguard:

The KAC and B&T rails don't cover the bipod but do have provisions for grabbing the legs. Note the bipod blocks the whole bottom rail interface:

The enhanced/PIP bipod has a space between the legs so they can collapse around a grip mounted on the bottom rail:

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Ah. Thanks!

So the easiest way to ID is that the Improved Bipod has rounded legs (along with the feature you mentioned)
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#25]
I want a M249 like the one Kris Paronto used during the Benghazi fight as a retirement gift to myself!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep - he covered most of the differences above.

New bipod:
  • Much heavier
  • Allows use of bottom rail for VFG and other attachments while still allowing bipod to fold
  • More robust/durable
  • Doesn't work well with OEM bottom handguard
  • When folded, it still flops around
Old bipod:
  • Lighter
  • Folds flush and anchors to some handguards (OEM and some rails)

A lot of people just ditch the bipod altogether, which is most often the best solution.  The only reason I bought one of the new ones is - again - just to have M249 accessories to switch to different configs.  M249 stuff is still relatively plentiful and cheap since there isn't a huge market for it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ehtacs] [#27]
Ugh the floppiness of the PIP bipod and how low it sits under the gun... I had it installed for 2 minutes before just going without a bipod all together. Probably try to source an old vltor/tango down if I end up needing a bipod. Here's a pic of the two I have for the same reason that is just having them for the collection.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of troops used the [in]famous Grip Pod on their M249's.  You get the VFG and a bipod that stows completely out of the way in the event you want to use a bipod.  If you go that route, I'd recommend the one that has metal reinforcements on the legs - some of the earlier ones that were made for civilian use didn't have that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks fellas for the info and pics!

I'm an accessory nut too so I just snagged myself an improved bipod now knowing it'll stow the legs around the VFG.

I have a few of the early metal legged Grip Pods. They work but man they're big and clunky.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Maim] [#30]
By the way.

M249 Weapons Sling. Two for $12.95 at Coleman's Military Surplus

https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-m249-weapons-sling-2-pack
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#31]
That's a Mk46 Mod2 with an HK pack lower.     The bipod doesn't get in the way, really - it splits the VFG.  Mostly, I just like having all the accessories so that I can change it out to any config.  Still looking for a Minimi HG and stock though.

I have my regular FN one as well though (pre-recall):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51944874887_6fdc8394f5_k.jpg
View Quote

@jtb33

We need to meet and let me go shoot that!  

Also, we have the same tile.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I run there titanium bipod on my 249s
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Can you just run a bipod off the bottom rail? I find that the OEM bipod is too tall for bench shooting (we have low benches at our range).
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
You sure can! I think a long legged Atlas bipod would be a good candidate.

With the belt box or even a nut sack mounted, you kinda need a tall bipod.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
I want a M249 like the one Kris Paronto used during the Benghazi fight as a retirement gift to myself!
View Quote

I want one as a 33rd birthday present to myself
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogesco93] [#36]
Where/what is the best way to buy one? Seriously want to avoid GB for fees. Check at a LGS?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dogesco93:
Where/what is the best way to buy one? Seriously want to avoid GB for fees. Check at a LGS?
View Quote
Find one on Gunbroker for a decent price with only positive feedback.  Look for a seller with the "FFL" badge or the name of their shop in their username or description.  Google the shop's name and reach out to them directly.  They will usually even lower the price because they won't need to pay the listing prices and the markup for a successful sale.  That'll only work on items that don't have any bids, since a seller can't cancel an auction if it has bids on it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dogesco93:
View Quote

My LGS will ship and made me a verbal deal at $9300
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#39]
This place is asking $8900.  Just a dropshipper that will send it to your FFL.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
I've bought WAY too many things from Battlehawk Armory.  They almost always have the best prices on pretty much any new firearm.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I've bought WAY too many things from Battlehawk Armory.  They almost always have the best prices on pretty much any new firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Good to know. I came across that site a few weeks ago and was wondering if it was legit or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict] [#42]
How much interest do you guys think there would be in new made Gen 1 slide hammers?  As far as I can tell, simply swapping out the new slide hammer with a Gen 1 will bring the trigger pull back down to what it used to be.  Also, people who never sent theirs back for the recall could then have a spare in case their original ever broke.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ProbableColtAddict:
How much interest do you guys think there would be in new made Gen 1 slide hammers?  As far as I can tell, simply swapping out the new slide hammer with a Gen 1 will bring the trigger pull back down to what it used to be.  Also, people who never sent theirs back for the recall could then have a spare in case their original ever broke.
View Quote
I'd absolutely buy a couple as spares.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I would happily throw money at things to improve the M249s shooting experience. FRT or even just lightening the trigger pull would be extremely valuable to me!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I gotta think anyone who bought this newer version would be interested. The stock set up is so bad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes! Anything to make the trigger less bad…
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Be aware, I cannot guarantee you a Gen 1 slide hammer will work with a Gen 3 bolt carrier/bolt/firing pin setup.  It looks to me like is should but it's going to have to be tested.  When the time comes, I'm going to need someone with a Gen 3 rifle to either test it for me or, and this is the best scenario, meet with me so that we can test it together.  I would think that a few hundred rounds would be sufficient.  The machinist I'm using has been at it continually since 1963, first in the military and then, after mustering out in 1984, on his own.  We spent a fair amount of time at his shop today, testing the hardness on mine, discussing what needs to be done, the best material, how many we should make, etc.   I left mine with him and he'll have pricing for me in a few days.  These aren't going to be cheap, probably (not certainly but probably) around $210 each shipped.  He's a one man band and it takes him a while but his work is Quality.  I recently had him reproduce a run of VZ 58Pi scope rails for me and it's dead on accurate to the original:

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#48]
So the new triggers are that bad? I’m liquidating unused stuff to get in on this, didn’t realize the changes were that significant
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict] [#49]
My Gen 1 is about 4 pounds.  The new Gen 3 I looked at was at least a 15lb. pull.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Lots of interest!

Originally Posted By Mr_Maim:
Good to know. I came across that site a few weeks ago and was wondering if it was legit or not.
View Quote

Page / 6
M249s (Page 4 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top