Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought 6.5 Creedmore required a longer barrel to really take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Little_Bo_Peep:
I thought 6.5 Creedmore required a longer barrel to really take advantage of it.
View Quote

More velocity is always nice but like anything it’s a trade off. For me when it comes to a semi auto precision gun I’m willing to compromise and trade velocity for a more compact rifle.

Here is a chart showing how 6.5 Creedmoor does out of various barrel lengths, the loss in velocity is pretty linear and about 25fps per inch.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Huh. I wonder if the lighter profile barrel has something to do with it, the 20 in both calibers is a good shooter.

I just bought a 17 because I wanted to be able to get one of the 6.5 barrels at some point.
View Quote

My 17S in 7.62 is a solid MOA gun with a stock trigger and a NX8 1-8. My 17S in 6.5 shoots as described above with the Geissele trigger and NX8 2.5-20. I'm tempted to swap barrels between receivers and see if anything changes. I had hopes of MOA performance out of the 6.5, but at this point I'd settle for 1.5 MOA. If I cant get it there, that barrel will move on. Not a fan of the stock either. Searching desperately for a black UGG boot if anyone has any leads!
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
FN doesn't list it on their website yet but it's showing up on a bunch of retailer's sites now.  It's basically a 17S chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (16.25" barrel) and comes with the SSR stock, Geissele Super SCAR trigger, 10rd mag, and what looks like a Surefire flash hider.

I added one to my cart on Dahlonega Armory's website just to see the price and it was $3,640.

https://external-preview.redd.it/rifle-new-release-fn-scar-17s-dmr-6-5cr-paratrooper-fals-in-v0-ZvCKHg13QIcrPNVEDZ7iC6O7b-LP7j_IUuHrbjaC8iw.jpg?auto=webp&s=cd7a53a01c201cbf85737883022c1052ea0c9322
View Quote

PSA just closed theirs out for $2,999
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Vonbongo:

View Quote

Damn, that's a good price.  If you sold the SSR stock and got a regular stock you'd be all in on it for like $2,500
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#6]

Damn, that's a good price.  If you sold the SSR stock and got a regular stock you'd be all in on it for like $2,500
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s my plan. I want to cannibalize the NRCH bolt carrier, HP bolt/firing pin, and the barrel and swap for parts I already have. Then sell off the SSR stock separately and finally the resulting RCH 308. Should only cost a couple hundred dollars for what amounts to a NRCH conversion and 6.5 barrel barrel swap.

The only thing holding me back are spotty accuracy reports from the 6.5 17S barrel.
Originally Posted By FluxIntegral:

My 17S in 7.62 is a solid MOA gun with a stock trigger and a NX8 1-8. My 17S in 6.5 shoots as described above with the Geissele trigger and NX8 2.5-20. I'm tempted to swap barrels between receivers and see if anything changes. I had hopes of MOA performance out of the 6.5, but at this point I'd settle for 1.5 MOA. If I cant get it there, that barrel will move on. Not a fan of the stock either. Searching desperately for a black UGG boot if anyone has any leads!

@FluxIntegral did you ever swap barrels and test for accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluxIntegral] [#7]
Originally Posted By Mblades:
@FluxIntegral did you ever swap barrels and test for accuracy?
View Quote

No. Kinda pissed, I cleaned it, and threw back in the safe. Trying to decide what to do with it. I did manage to find an original 17S Ugg boot stock on Gunbroker at the low low price of $600. MGW does not have any and has been OOS for some time. So if swapping stocks is part of your plan, keep in mind that FN won't sell you one and you'll have to depend on the secondary market to find one. They're getting hard to find, especially in black. At this point I'm leaning towards putting the SSR stock and the original A2 grip back on it and selling it. Use the proceeds to fund a SCAR 20S.

It's weird though, it may just be a matter for finding a load that it likes. My SR-25 ACC is an absolute sub MOA (.75"/5 shots) tack driver with 168-175gr FGMM, but with M80/147gr stuff, it's becomes a 2-3 MOA shooter. Sucks but that's the way that gun is. This 6.5 DMR may be that way also, but the 7.62 17S seems to shoot everything really well. At any rate, I was hoping that one of these guntubers would do that heavy lifiting for me an identify a load that this DMR likes. Still there are zero usefull reviews on it. "Classic Firearms" did like two reviews on it where they effectively threw an Eotech on it and did some mag dumps. Worthless reviews. I don't know. Before I do anything, I'll need to research how well the 20S 6.5 shoots.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 12:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#8]

View Quote

SCAR 17s DMR 6.5

They have been coming in and out of stock all week, currently in stock 10:59 cst, less one

I had been looking at them for a while to go with my 20 in .308.  This is $600 below the lowest I had seen up to this point.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]

SCAR 17s DMR 6.5

They have been coming in and out of stock all week, currently in stock 10:59 cst, less one

I had been looking at them for a while to go with my 20 in .308.  This is $600 below the lowest I had seen up to this point.
View Quote

I ended up snagging one, too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]

SCAR 17s DMR 6.5

View Quote

...and they're back in stock.  If I didn't just buy a Browning X-Bolt and Marlin 1895 SBL
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, too good of a deal to pass up at $2999 with the stock and super scar trigger.  I have an extra 308 barrel I’ll toss in it if it can’t shoot better then 3 moa
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
How long did it take for your 17s DMR to ship? I ordered Friday and the status is still "Processing."
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Just to follow up on this, I'm not having much better luck than MAC with my 6.5. My 7.62 is a solid MOA gun with 168gr FGMM. This 6.5, I've not gotten better than 1.5 MOA. Most groups hover around 2 MOA, pretty disappointing...
View Quote

What loads?  1.5 is not bad and I mean the 17 is a battle rifle not a precision rifle.  What does FN say their minimum acceptable accuracy out of these rifles?  Have you checked that all the barrel hardware is tightened to spec.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

What loads?  1.5 is not bad and I mean the 17 is a battle rifle not a precision rifle.  What does FN say their minimum acceptable accuracy out of these rifles?  Have you checked that all the barrel hardware is tightened to spec.
View Quote

Hornady 147gr ELD Match and Hornady 140gr American Gunner. I would accept 1.5 MOA, but 1.5 is few and far between. 2-2.5 is more typical. That's approaching AK accuracy. Topped with a NF NX8 2.5-20 in a BO Condition 1 mount. With that massive SSR target stock, Geissele trigger and "DMR" badging, it's gotta do better than that.  Moved that glass/mount over to the SR-25, sub MOA all day. Rules the glass out. Mine is exactly as described by MAC. Three rounds will be touching each other, then it'll throw the fourth of fifth round two or more inches out. Super frustrating. I'd like to blame it on my crumby shooting, but I'll immediately transition over to my 7.62 17S  with the horrid stock trigger, Ugg stock, and a NF 1-8, and produce a .85" group. And it's easy. I don't know, hoping all the guys jumping on board with that PSA sale are able to show me the error of my ways!
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#15]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
How long did it take for your 17s DMR to ship? I ordered Friday and the status is still "Processing."
View Quote

I don’t know about the gun, my ammo order took a couple of days to ship earlier this month.

ETA mine shipped today 12/19/23
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Hornady 147gr ELD Match and Hornady 140gr American Gunner. I would accept 1.5 MOA, but 1.5 is few and far between. 2-2.5 is more typical. That's approaching AK accuracy. Topped with a NF NX8 2.5-20 in a BO Condition 1 mount. With that massive SSR target stock, Geissele trigger and "DMR" badging, it's gotta do better than that.  Moved that glass/mount over to the SR-25, sub MOA all day. Rules the glass out. Mine is exactly as described by MAC. Three rounds will be touching each other, then it'll throw the fourth of fifth round two or more inches out. Super frustrating. I'd like to blame it on my crumby shooting, but I'll immediately transition over to my 7.62 17S  with the horrid stock trigger, Ugg stock, and a NF 1-8, and produce a .85" group. And it's easy. I don't know, hoping all the guys jumping on board with that PSA sale are able to show me the error of my ways!
View Quote

What about the hardware holding the barrel in....?  Maybe loosen it all up and retorque everything down to spec?  Mark the screws and see if the move?

That really sucks my 17 in .308 can shoot better than I can and out shoots many of my friends rifles especially on strings of fire.  I can shoot 1MOA almost all day even when the barrel gets hot is hardly has any shifting.  Makes you wonder what kind of voodoo is going on where you can lay down great groups and boom fliers.  When I get fliers it is 100% a me issue and I can actually call them before seeing my impact.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]

What about the hardware holding the barrel in....?  Maybe loosen it all up and retorque everything down to spec?  Mark the screws and see if the move?

That really sucks my 17 in .308 can shoot better than I can and out shoots many of my friends rifles especially on strings of fire.  I can shoot 1MOA almost all day even when the barrel gets hot is hardly has any shifting.  Makes you wonder what kind of voodoo is going on where you can lay down great groups and boom fliers.  When I get fliers it is 100% a me issue and I can actually call them before seeing my impact.
View Quote

I know it! The 7.62 guns defy all logic. On this 6.5, I'm pretty sure that I pulled the barrel and retorqued it prior to shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#18]
PSA emailed and said mine arrived
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wetsum3:
PSA emailed and said mine arrived
View Quote

I picked mine up yesterday from my FFL
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been messaging FluxIntegral exchanging notes as I've been very curious about the DMR and had one on the way. I finally got a chance to get mine out to the range for a very short trip so I thought I'd add some data points for consideration. New rifle, added Scarburator Gen 3, removed factory FH (which was cranked on tight) and replaced with a Cherry Bomb. Shot at indoor range, 100 yards, so no wind. Slapped a monopod on the back, Atlas 5-H up front, and an older S&B PMII 5-25x in a ERATAC mount with cosine angle indicator and bubble level. Shot with and without a Trash Panda for the can. Thing looks silly as all get out as the scope is about as long as the rail but I wanted to see what the gun can do mechanically. 5 rounds fired for rough zero and to adjust gas to where it will lock back on an empty mag.

Shot off a bench so with the bipod/monopod setup I feel like I was pretty stable but that groups probably would be a smidge tighter if the rifle were truly braced and locked-in. Was able to run the LabRadar so velocity information provided as well. Loads generally held around 10 fps SD and ES of low 20's:

Load information:
140gr ELDM loaded to COL 2.805" with H4350 (not sure if I can post powder charge or if I need a disclaimer?) and CCI BR-2 in Norma once-fired brass, full length sized, mandrel neck expanded.
139gr Scenar, same as above.

Both loads have consistently performed under 1/2 MOA in a SCAR 20s 6.5 or 1/4 MOA in a DT SRS.

5 rounds suppressed ELDM 0.9"  2,513 fps av
5 rounds suppressed Scenar 1.5" 2,580 fps av
5 rounds unsupressed ELDM 0.8" 2,509 fps av (lowest SD of 7 fps, ES 15 fps)

Was running out of time so I just ripped 10 rounds ELDM as soon as I could get crosshairs back on target. .75" vertical with 1.2" horizontal spread . . . you could see the rounds start walking right as the barrel heated up so that was interesting to me. I don't know if the gun needs some break-in but I plan on getting at least another 20 down the pipe and then repeating accuracy testing. I believe my ELDM load closely approximates the Hornady factory match loading so I would expect MOA out of that particular load in this particular gun.

Hopefully this information is of use to some of you.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#21]

I know it! The 7.62 guns defy all logic. On this 6.5, I'm pretty sure that I pulled the barrel and retorqued it prior to shooting it.
View Quote

What about removing the muzzle device and go naked?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluxIntegral] [#22]

What about removing the muzzle device and go naked?
View Quote

I don't know, MBSL mentioned that his was torqued on pretty good. Does that affect accuracy much? Completely willing to try it. I know that two of the same model of gun can shoot better or worse, but after seeing MBSL's results, I have a renewed confidence in trying to get this dog to hunt. Maybe I just needed a "cooling off" period!

ETA, wow, this muzzle device is on there. Removed the barrel from the gun, mounted the barrel in a vice, heated the heck out of it, and had about two feet of cheater bar. It didn't budge. I was afraid that I was going to break something. May have to take to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 3:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MBSL] [#23]
Yeah, agree on trying a different muzzle device (or none at all) in case that’s the issue.  I’ve seen muzzle devices do weird crap for throwing off accuracy. Picked the Cherry Bomb so I could use a lighter can and also a smaller device with even ports all around.  In hindsight, I should have measured the torque on theirs.  Used a standard AR multi-tool attached to a big ass torque wrench to get mine off.  No loctite or rockset that I could see.

ETA - my torque wrench is about a 3-footer plus the partial length of one of those AR multitools so you may need a cheater pipe. Probably got a little carbon lock on yours and there was oil under there when I removed mine which could have seized up on yours.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
My rifle is ready to pickup at my FFL but I’m out of state until Friday. What is included in the box?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#25]
Going to try and get to the range tomorrow.  The flash hider was not hard to get off at all.  Just a
slightly larger ratchet but I do have an AAC 3 prong FH socket, not sure if that helps but I was as tight as a normal FH would be.

The barrel screws were all over the place, got all but one out with a screwdriver and bit the one needed a ratchet.  

Will try it with just the brake and with the can and see, I am not the best shot and just shoot off my range bag on the bench, but my franken ar-10 6.5 I can shoot under an inch so if I can produce those same results I will be happy.

The can is a new F1 recore by Ecco so a lot of variables going on, should be fun!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Any update on these with regards to the accuracy issues?

I missed out on the PSA blowout sale, but I figure some here got in on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#27]
Originally Posted By HKocher:

View Quote

I sighted mine in on steel but the bullets all struck within an inch or so of where I aimed. I retorqued the barrel before going to the range. They were all tighter than 62 ft lb from the assembly line.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HKocher:

View Quote

They are still running it off and on.  This is the only day I had it out.  Shot with a new form 1 recore can.  Direct thread and it was coming lose so can probably do better but I don’t think it’s too bad considering it was off my range bag & also a one or 2 from a bipod and I don’t have a rear bag, just use my gloved hand.

120gr Hornady Amax

My sight in rounds dialed left then up.
Attachment Attached File

Another set

Attachment Attached File

And another
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top