Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2011 8:13:18 AM EDT
Anyone ever paint their own bullet tips to keep them identified?

If so, any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I thimk pink is puurtee !!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I think it's silly too.

edited to add; it has to lower bc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I must be stupid for putting different ammo in different labeled containers.  Off to the craft store!
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
When I need to mark loads I use fine Sharpie markers and put letters, numbers, or shapes on the primers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Use the search function.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=336862&light=painting

I can't resist - I think this is one of the craziest steps reloaders take.  After all the work to get ammunition assembled, painting bullets can only ruin accuracy.  Not to mention blowing trash down a barrel.  I don't get it, ain't gonna try, and I'm not going to criticize anyone that wants to paint bullets, just like load selection, in the end everyone is free to make their own choices.  That doesn't mean I won't stop thinking it's nuts!

Thank you for the link, I was referring more to loading tracer bullets, I did not want to get them mixed in with regular ball ammo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I need to mark loads I use fine Sharpie markers and put letters, numbers, or shapes on the primers.

I also mark the base of my brass when I will be at a range where my ejected brass will mix with the junk on the ground.  I only pick up my own brass.  Actually, a range I used to shoot at would only allow picking up your own brass.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes it's hard to tell if those bullets you found in a clear MTM case from last year are 155 grainers, or 175 grainers!

I have found that the best method for me is when I have a batch of new rounds loaded, while they're in the loading tray or MTM box I take a colored Sharpie and run them down the bullets on four sides.  I have a legend identifying what color means what - purple means heavies, either 69 grain bullets in say .223 or 175 grain bullets in .308.  Red is for medium weight bullets.  You have to make a legend so that you don't forget.  It only takes a second to run the Sharpie across them, and their is no degredation to accuracy.  Buy a ten pack or so of Sharpies from Wal-Mart and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Bullets/P6250089_01.jpg
Normally when you buy tracers, they come painted.

But sometimes they don't
M856 LAKE CITY 223 64GR TRACER BULLETS

Super rare tracer bullets for reloading. Components!! NOT LOADED AMMUNITION. These component tracer bullets are BRAND NEW, never loaded. These bullets DO NOT have the orange tip painted because that comes after they are loaded. These, having never been loaded are not painted. They have the foil back seal and are 2010 manufacture. From a cancelled contract. When they are gone, there will be no more.

Dunno if it's ok to put in the link or not, I'm not affiliated with them.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Use the search function.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=336862&light=painting

I can't resist - I think this is one of the craziest steps reloaders take.  After all the work to get ammunition assembled, painting bullets can only ruin accuracy.  Not to mention blowing trash down a barrel.  I don't get it, ain't gonna try, and I'm not going to criticize anyone that wants to paint bullets, just like load selection, in the end everyone is free to make their own choices.  That doesn't mean I won't stop thinking it's nuts!

I find the ones I paint to be lucky

The ones in my avatar did this at 50 yards, for me this is an amazing group because I suck with irons since I can't see shit! Plus they were pretty crappy looking pulled projectiles!

As for the thread that was linked to, I found that the spray paint method doesnt that well. I was able to drill 40 holes perfectly into a 1/4" piece of wood and place it over the ammo in a shell holder and whether it was oriented upright or upside down the paint clumped where the projectile met the wood.

I have found that you can rather quickly paint the tips using my old and slow method of just filling a testor's paint lid half way, quickly dipping the round and then lightly souching the side of the lid and all excess paint comes off, then place the round on a stripper clip. It took me about 10 minutes to do 100rds, much simpler and easier then messing with spray paint.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top