Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2012 10:47:04 AM EDT
let's hear your stories of squib loads, bullets lodging in the bore and your (successful) efforts to remove the stuck bullet...
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a squib load  twice.

My FIL gave me has old S+W mod 14-3 .38spl. it was in a leather holster and with it 6 loose rounds. It was his service revolver as a deputy coroner. I am assuming those 6 rounds were the rounds in the gun when he retired. He didnt at the time know much about guns, I have since changed that. Anyway, the rounds in question were FMJ, not my first choice for the duty they played.

I took it to the range with the intention of shooting those 6 rounds and then some. I have never had a squib load in my life, so i didnt know what it was or how it felt. I was there alone and on my 3 rd shot, something didnt feel right, so i unloded the weapon and checked it. YUP there was one stuck in the barrel.

I used a phillips head screwdriver to drive it out. It came out pretty easy.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Same gun about a week ago. Was working up a load and started too light. 1st shot, the bullet stopped halfway out of the muzzle. I inserted a sheet metal screw into the lead and gave it a yank with pliers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to add powder in a  30-06, bullet did not move.  Seen 1 post where a  revolver shooter put 3  bullets on top of each other in the barrel.   Link     And > Kaboom Photo Album
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
let's hear your stories of squib loads, bullets lodging in the bore and your (successful) efforts to remove the stuck bullet...

Never had either, thankfully.

Wooden dowels seem to be key, those and some penetrating oil, like Kroil.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost 37 years of pulling handle, I have not experienced this with loads I produced.

I did however stop someone else from firing another round after a squib.

Situational awareness, practice it always.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
So I got really excited after setting up my LNL AP and started pumping out tons of 9mm as fast as I could pull the handle and load primers. I was using Unique as well as fighting my case feeder.

One squib is too many and I had wayyyy too many. They weren't too bad to clear, just take the barrel out of the gun and pound it out with a wooden dowel. After the fifth I decided to suck it up and weigh every single round and pull the ones that weren't close to the others.

After the first squib it became very easy to ID one when they happen, just a pop from the primer. Luckily the bullet got stuck as soon as the rifling started so the next round wouldn't chamber.

LESSON LEARNED.... Oh yeah, I also bought a Powder Cop die after this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
9mm 124gr FMJs over about 4.5gr of Unique, and I THOUGHT I had my progressive press running like a clock.  At the range, I fired, got distracted and didn't notice whether or not I hit the target at 50 yards, so I fired again.  Blew the bolt catch off, bent the ejection port cover pin, scared the living crap out of me.  It took a LOT of pounding on a set of GI cleaning rods to knock those two bullets out of the barrel.  There is NO damage to the barrel, though I changed out the upper because on inspection it got bulged where the ejection port cover pin was bent.

The bullet on the left was on top, the one on the right was on the bottom.

I went through the rest of that batch and weighed each round.  Almost all were within about .6 grains of each other, but a few were several grains light, so I pulled them all, starting with the light ones.  Of the 5 I knew were light, only one had more than a few flakes of powder, and that one was about a 1/2 charge.  I immediately ordered a powder check die for my progressive press, and I've used it ever since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top