Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First thing to check is gap between shell plate and sub plate. Bottom of shell plate has an outer groove and should be snugged to sub plate with maybe a few thousandths clearance. When shell plate is bolted down with Allen headed bolt there shouldn't be any up or down play allowing shell plate to rock to one side or the other.

Spacing between sub plate and shell plate shows, give or take a few thousanths, 0.100.

Check, see what you have,

dc.

Mine is rocking. How do I draw it down. I have an idea, but don't think it's right.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Another thing, that could be a part of the tipping is is sub plate position. Case feeder arm needs to be pulled towards the press. To adjust sub plate, set screws under sub plate, each side of ram need be loosened. I took mine out, applied Locktite® and tightened while pushing arm towards press, not much pressure but enough to keep in place while threading set screws.

The irony in all this is Hornady techs will say doing this is all wrong and " they have concerns." Problem is the discussion stalls after the word concern. Need to start writing this stuff down, am starting to recall some of the aggravations.

Both Dillon and Hornady techs don't appreciate being told what's wrong with their equipment. That's the one thing I guess running Lee progressives I appreciated. Lee techs want to listen objectively, then again, objectivity is how Lee techs cope.

dc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First thing to check is gap between shell plate and sub plate. Bottom of shell plate has an outer groove and should be snugged to sub plate with maybe a few thousandths clearance. When shell plate is bolted down with Allen headed bolt there shouldn't be any up or down play allowing shell plate to rock to one side or the other.

Spacing between sub plate and shell plate shows, give or take a few thousanths, 0.100.

Check, see what you have,

dc.

Mine is rocking. How do I draw it down. I have an idea, but don't think it's right.

From recollection, I remember the ram coming out and threads being run deeper on the part large Allen threads into to secure shell plate.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to take a shot here on how to draw it down. I'm probably wrong. But here goes.

Take a look at the exploded view of the Hornady manual, page 23 I think. Or pull out your own manual. This is the new manual.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/LNL_AP.pdf

I have an older press, with an older manual. The old manual shows a washer between the index wheel and the yoke. The new manual does not have this washer listed. I actually though I might have lost my washer when I had my press apart, so I had Hornady send me a new washer.  But I since believe I did not loose the washer. So I have not put it on. I just think my press is a transition between the 2 manual's

I just thought all the washer would do is allow the spring washer that's on the drive shaft,, inside the ram,,, to become more compressed. I didn't think it would effect the height of the drive hub because the hub floats so to speek.

But you know what. I'm going to tear this thing apart,,,, AGAIN,,, just to see what adding that washer will do. Maybe it will get rid of my little wobble by drawing down the shell plate to the sub plate. I doubt it though. I'll probably just be wasting my time. Oh well.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
That's it, "drive hub." Hub drive height needs be low enough for shell plate to be snugged to sub plate. If referring to washer riding between Allen bolt head and shell plate ? Yes, I run factory supplied washer.

dc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's it, "drive hub." Hub drive height needs be low enough for shell plate to be snugged to sub plate. If referring to washer riding between Allen bolt head and shell plate ? Yes, I run factory supplied washer.

dc.

No. Not that washer.

The washer I'm talking about is below the bottom of the ram. It's between the index wheel and the yoke. Your gonna have to down load the diagram. Then you still wont see the washer, cause it's not there.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
" />

I can get .015 under the shell plate
" />

I think my press problem is that the hub item #29 has side to side movement even after the shell plate is tightened down

" />

" />
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top