Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2013 7:27:10 PM EDT
Today's review is pitting two products against each other.

I have already decided my favorite but I thought I might share the features of each and let you guys decide which one is right for you or if either is right for you...on with the review.

First let me talk briefly about the two products.  Both are relatively inexpensive and cost roughly the same depending on the purchase place.  And I am guessing from my own brief experience with the Plano and my more in depth experience with the MTM product that either should serve you well.

On to the pics.

Here we have both products.  MTM on the left and Plano on the right.  Both of the boxes were purchased with 38/357 in mind.  They both come with little ID stickers but the MTM has an additional stick on plackard.  Both are stackable as well and both have hinges versus a folding seem.  Hinges are always a plus and last longer.

Here is a shot of the front of the boxes showing the lid latches.  The MTM has one whilst the Plano has two.  The Plano box has an additional feature where a person my be able to add a mini-padlock if he wanted.  The MTM box is much easier to open than the Plano.  It takes both hands to manipulate the latches on the Plano box.  Notice the slots on the lid of the Plano.  The slots are indented along a raised portion on the lid.  This is part of the stacking feature.

Here we have a shot of the hinges on the back.  The MTM has three evenly spaced hainges while the Plano has four that are spaced apart in pairs.

Now lets stack the boxes.  As you can see the MTM boxes are a touch shorter than the Plano boxes.  The MTM boxes stack well as do the Plano boxes for the most part.  The slots on the Plano boxes allow them to slide front to back quite a bit where as the MTM boxes seem to stack a bit more secure.

Lets turn the boxes over.  The MTM box proudly displays a MADE IN USA label and has the various different compatible cartriges listed that the box will hold.  Quite a few options actally.  You can also see the little 'L' shaped feet used for stack retention on the bottom.

The Plano box is stamped Made in China.  You can see the slotted lines here that the box stacks onto the lid with.  Note that the lines on the bottom are somewhat shorter than the ones on the lid and it allows the boxes to slide around a lot.

Moving right along, let's open the boxes and look inside.  I tossed in a few rounds of 38 spcl and 357 mag just for looks.  Both boxes allow the rounds to go in nose down only.  They both hold a 100 rounds and seem to be about the same with one exception.  The Plano box has like a molding bump or something in the middle hole.  This causes the middle cartridge to stick up slightly more than the others.  Purely cosmetic...but still.

A closer shot...

You can see the rim of the 357 on the right sticking up just a bit...fourth bullet from the right second row back.

Well there you have it.  I think I touched on all the high points, and some of the not so higher points.

I personally like the MTM box better.  My biggest complaint about the Plano box is that it's kind of hard to get open...actually its a pain in the butt to get open.  I don't like the way it stacks and I don't like the bump inside the box.

The little lock hole on the Plano box is an interesting feature and might be attractive for people who feel they need to secure their ammo.  But it does stick out a bit and I don't need or want it.  I do think this might be an attractive option for the fisherman that needs to take some ammo with him.  This box would fit in great in a Plano tacklebox.  Maybe some 38 spcl loaded with snakeshot to help keep the nasties away!

The MTM box has a slightly smaller footprint, easier to open and stacks well.  And don't forget it is a product that is proudly MADE IN the USA.

So you guys know which one I like.

Now it's time for you to decide and tell us all what 'YOU' think!
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How tight is the lid on the Plano box?

I buy two makes, MTM and J&J when the seller shows up at local gun shows.  The prices are similar, and the quality is similar, although the colors of the off brand are white or yellow.

Both makes have robust, well fit latches.  The J&J has a plastic hinge that does not hold the lid open so far it's in the way.  Most of my MTM boxes are the old style with the plastic hinge, and so far I've never had one fail.  However, my preference are their new boxes with pinned hinges.

Berry's and Midway boxes don't come close to the quality of the MTM or J&J.

To answer your question:  The lid fits tight and is very robust.  Maybe a tad bit moreso than the MTM box.  I would tend to think if you did a drop test between the two boxes that the Plano lid might hold up better as far as not popping open or shifting sideways.  My only concern might be that being as the plastic on the Plano box feels more rugged it also may have a tendancy to crack if dropped istead of flexing like I believe the MTM box would do.  If I should drop the Plano by accident I will let you know.  But for now I'll try not to do any destructive testing on purpose.  Ammo and supplies are somewhat limited in my area.

If you notice in one of the pictures of the Plano box you can see the lip that the box lid snaps around.  The lip sticks up about 1/8 of an inch and covers most of the circumference of the opening of the box except where the latches are located.  It really gives security to the lid to prevent side-shifting and like I stated before the two latches are really tight.

If you think you like the looks of the Plano box I would certainly say to pull the trigger on it.  Especially if you can get them for around 4 bucks a piece.  I got mine at Academy for 3.99 each.  I keep mine in the safe when loaded with ammo so I like the smaller footprint of the MTM boxes.  I have some 45acp MTM boxes with the molded hinges and those things are like 20 years old and going strong.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice review. Thanks for the writeup.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I have use the J&J boxes for many years.  I haven't broken a single one.  

The boxes they sell without dividers are great for storing pistol mags.  If you have more than a few handguns, this is a great way to keep them sorted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks very much! I'm new to reloading and bought two of those very same Plano boxes because everyone was out of the MTMs. I think I'll hold out to find them before investing any more in the Planos. I agree, they're tough to open, but I had nothing to compare to.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
MTM's in green and black also look cool.  This was my primary reason for buying the MTM cases last time I bought a few... they go well with Hornady Zombie ammo as well... (not that I actually shoot the two boxes I ever bought, I just bring them out for show and tell once in a while!).

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the MTM boxes for my 45-70 loads , but found if turned over the ammo falls out of the holes a piece of 1 inch foam fixed that
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I use nothing but MTM ammo boxes. I've had others break, but I've never had an MTM one fail.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 RL50 MTM boxes I use for my .30-06 Match rounds, I think they are great

I would not hesitate to purchase more in the future
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the comments guys.  And for those that appreciated the review you guys are also very welcome.

I had purchased the Plano boxes at the time because the MTM boxes kinda come and go.  You gotta get them while you can as it doesnt take long for them to be out of stock.

I really wanted to like the Plano boxes as much as I do the MTM boxes but after spending a bit of time with them they just really didn't meet my expectations.

I wrote this little review so I could share my thoughts with others.  I tried to write it without showing a lot of bias at least until I got to the end.

Some folks like green apples and some folks like red apples.  I hope I was fair to both products in my review, but most of all I wanted to be fair to the readers.

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
a good test for the boxes might include dropping a full box onto a concrete floor.  My 45ACP 50 round box cracked pretty good when this happened.  A 100 round box might not do well being dropped.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually add an mtm box or two with each order from midway, they're cheap enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
a good test for the boxes might include dropping a full box onto a concrete floor.  My 45ACP 50 round box cracked pretty good when this happened.  A 100 round box might not do well being dropped.

I dont think so.  I wont purposely drop a box of ammo in anyone's container to test it out.  First off you are talking about 5 pounds(for 45acp 100 rds) of weight easily.  3.3 pounds are just projectiles figureing in 230 grain bullets times 100 not to mention the weight of the powder, primers, brass, and the box itself.  These are ammo storage boxes anyway.  They are not Pelican cases.  I've seen lots of things get broken at the range and 99% of it is carelessness from the shooter or bench clutter.  A 30 inch fall onto a concrete floor with a box full of ammo especially a box of 100 rounds of 45 acp is most likey gonna shatter especially if it impacts the corner of the box when it lands.

I didn't mention it in the article but I did take my various MTM boxes and the Plano and held them upside down full of ammo and shook the boxes.  All of the lids held the full boxes shut without popping open.  I was gonna make a video of that and post it but it kinda seems pointless now.

These are all just inexpensive reloaders boxes.  Remember that and take it for what it is.  They work great for the intended purpose.  If you want something really rugged I would suggest storeing your plastic boxes in an ammo can or something of the sort.  When going back and forth to the range I carry all of my gear in a range bag.  Most everything stays stowed until it is time to be used.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice review! I wouldn't have even given that much consideration between the two or other beside looking at price. Now I've got a standard even for the inexpensive boxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top