Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2013 3:22:54 PM EDT
I got in a rush a month ago when the N310 became available and ordered it instead of the N320 I should have for my 124gr 9mm speer gdhp workup. Now looking at Viht's data I see its only listed for up to 90gr bullets :( Should I wait till I can find some N320 or just work up carefully? The end game here is I want the fastest powder to minimize muzzle flash in a 3.1 inch barrel for self defense loads. I've compared the starting loads for all manuf's of powder in several burn rate charts and Viht. seems great since it uses less powder and thus less flash in any low light situation.

Yes I'm overthinking this and would be fine with bullseye most likely, but as with most things, we do them because we can :) Do we have any Viht. users that can relate their loading results with N310 Or N320 in 9mm?

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have loaded 124 gn bullets with N320 with good results.

I've read about N310 in 124 gn loads, but I've never seen any published data for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've read about N310 in 124 gn loads, but I've never seen any published data for it.

I am interested in seeing any you find - we (mates and I) run a mild target load using 124 lead for the range using Bullseye in our AR carbines, but powder out of the US has been non existent since the end of last year.  Viht on the other hand is since it is made in Europe is on the shelves.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I couldn't find any load data in any of my reloading manuals for N310 and 124grns. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I am interested in seeing any you find - we (mates and I) run a mild target load using 124 lead for the range using Bullseye in our AR carbines, but powder out of the US has been non existent since the end of last year.  Viht on the other hand is since it is made in Europe is on the shelves.

I don't remember the thread, but it was at Brian Enos' forum.

With N320 I loaded 3.7 gn at 1.140 for avg velocity of 926 and SD 19. This was in a glock 26. I think I'm going to stay here for plinking loads.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't remember the thread, but it was at Brian Enos' forum.

With N320 I loaded 3.7 gn at 1.140 for avg velocity of 926 and SD 19. This was in a glock 26. I think I'm going to stay here for plinking loads.

Some of those older posts might be mine.  N-310 is indeed a fast powder - about the fastest other than the nearly non-existent Norma R-1.

OP:  I developed a load you should never use:  N-310 with 147 grn bullets to just above USPSA/IDPA "minor"  (about 875 fps).  That load, if done just right - is possible - but on the edge.  You had better know what you are doing. It is also very similar to Atlanta Arm's 9mm Competition load; nothing else out there is as quiet and soft shooting (but a 147 JHP at nearly 900 FPS is also nothing to sneeze at!)  

With 124 grn bullets and N-310, you are in much safer territory as far as pressure goes.  If you decide to use it (I would) here are some precautions to take:

1) Use MAXIMUM OAL!!!  I do this with MOST of my 9mm loads.  The longest OAL means lower pressure and that means its easier on the brass (lasts longer) and easier on the gun. Plus, a long OAL feeds better in most guns like the Glock.  You can probably safely load to about 1.150 to 1.160"    

2) learn about set back and how to avoid it.  "Crimp" does not hold the bullet.  "Neck tension" or case wall tension is what will prevent set back and you need to adjust that to hold the bullet - but HOW CAN YOU ADJUST THAT??  The only way is with a smaller resizing die.  I use the Lee brand "U" or Undersize die.  you can buy it from EGW gunworks out of PA, or you can order over the telephone from Lee. It WILL need a small amount of "case spray" like OneShot - they show people using OneShot with CARBIDE dies right in the Dillon instructional video.    

Anyway, if you are in the VA or MD area, I will trade you that N310 one-for-one for some N320.   Both are great powders with specific uses.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
CBR900 has played the game long enough to understand it. I read a lot of experience written into his post. We "gamers" are often found riding the cutting edge of an envelope. What I would do if I were you is start 3/10ths a grain under the 90  grain start load, but that's me and I'd be fairly comfortable doing it, you might not.

Either way, I won't attempt load work up without a chronograph, it's not even an option for me. Working without one is no different to me than sticking a butter knife in a light socket or playing with a bag of rattlesnakes. I can pretty much guarantee you will find where someone has used N310 and 124 grain bullets doing a Google search.

Load Safe,

dc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

(but a 147 JHP at nearly 900 FPS is also nothing to sneeze at!)  

No, but it might catch a cold when a 147 grain XTP comes flying past running close to 1200 fps pushed by Vihtavouri 3N38.

dc.

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never used N310 with 9mm.  It's a fantastic powder for 45s.  For .45, it uses very close charge weights to Bullseye and Titegroup which do have published data from 9mm.  Reloading is not a good thing to do with no starter data.  Why not trade powders for something you could use?
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but it might catch a cold when a 147 grain XTP comes flying past running close to 1200 fps pushed by Vihtavouri 3N38.

dc.

3N38 is the shit if you want ultra hot 147gr loads.  I loaded up a pile of 147gr Gold dots using 6.3gr (which is near the minimum!), and it was giving me 1100+ out of my G34
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm going to save the N310 for my 45 loads. I already have some workups done with bullesye and also got some hodgdon clays with this order so I can work off published load data there also I always chrono everything and don't need the bleeding edge in my lifestyle. Leading edge is the idea
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

dc.

Heh heh - that V V 3N-38 load is a hoot!  I only tried it once & used it for a bowling pin match; sure made the 9mm feel like a hot 40 load!

I used brand new Starline cases & small rifle primers (probably ovely cautious since its a book load - but it worked).  Took the pins clear off the table too.  

I tend to think of 9mm as one of those under-appreciated calibers which - IF used in a strong, modern, locked breach gun using good components, can be safely loaded to levels that many people would not believe possible.  It is a very strong little case!  That 1200 FPS V V load is one very good example (and its printed right there in the manual for all to see).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top