Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2013 8:20:01 PM EDT
I've used a Lee FCD with my .38 loads and it's great.  Tonight I tried the 9mm die with some Berry's 124 grain loads.  I know you want a real light crimp with the plated bullets.  What is happening is that the die is taking a shaving off the case mouth. What, if anything, am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this the first time you've ever used this die? Or have you successfully used the die on other 9mm bullets?

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is this the first time you've ever used this die? Or have you successfully used the die on other 9mm bullets?

Yes, this is the first time I've used this die.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it putting a big streak down the side of the case? If so, there's a defect (burr) in the carbide sleeve. Send it back to Lee and they'll replace it for free. This happened to a new Lee 9mm resizing die. I sent them an email with attached photos and told them the die was enroute. They didn't wait to receive it first they shipped it right away I think I got it in 4 days.

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it putting a big streak down the side of the case? If so, there's a defect (burr) in the carbide sleeve. Send it back to Lee and they'll replace it for free. This happened to a new Lee 9mm resizing die. I sent them an email with attached photos and told them the die was enroute. They didn't wait to receive it first they shipped it right away I think I got it in 4 days.

No, no other markings.  I backed it off to a quarter turn and I am still getting a little bit of shavings.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it back. They'll treat you right
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Send it back. They'll treat you right

Ok, sounds like the thing to do.  Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How much are you belling the case before bullet seating?

Chamfering case mouth?

Doubt it is a die issue, not enough bell would be my guess.

Had the same problem on my new 9mm die, increasing the bell did it for me.

ETA: I was using Berry's 115 gr copper plated
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Agree with dryflash.
I was having the exact same thing happen with my Lee dies and the 9mm Berry's bullets.
Assuming you are also using the Lee 'powder through expanding die' try turning it in about a quarter turn to increase the bell. That solved my problem.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Caused by machining inside 9mm fcd. Has nothing to do with belling. Machining will smooth out with use.

dc.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Caused by crappy machining inside 9mm fcd. Has nothing to do with belling. Machining will smooth out with use.

dc.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/IMG_20130412_150345_zpsac5bfc75.jpg

Fixed it for ya.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I get that too.  Shaves a little bit of the case mouth, kind od like a chamfer.  My fix is to blow the shavings away and continue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I assume you are just using it as a crimp die and not a seat crimp die correct? The stage before it should have done either seating or seating /crimp and the FCD checks the final crimp
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I assume you are just using it as a crimp die and not a seat crimp die correct? The stage before it should have done either seating or seating /crimp and the FCD checks the final crimp

You can't seat with a FCD. It don't have a seating plug.

OP are you sure it's case brass you are getting and not a little bullet plating? Also. Are you reducing the size of the mouth flair before using the FCD? If not you are doing it with the FCD on the way in which is not a good thing to do.

Personally, I don't use the FCD with plated or cast bullets.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Lee factory crimp die is a taper crimp die with a non adjustable sizer ring at base.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
The taper crimp is breaking off the sharp edge of the case mouth, happens allot when the die is new, after the machining smoothes out a little with use the shavings will reduce/stop.

EWP
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#17]
If the 9mm LFCD is scraping brass off the case mouth back off on the bell until it doesn't do that any more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the 9mm LFCD is scraping brass off the case mouth back off on the bell until it doesn't do that any more.

Have you taken a 9mm Lee fcd apart ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you taken a 9mm Lee fcd apart ?

No, and I don't understand what that has to do with backing off the case mouth bell at the powder stage.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a .355 bullet, add 0.010 x 2 and we get 0.375 for component diameter at case mouth. Bell to 0.377 and case mouth won't even start to touch carbide sizer ring at base. Straight wall pistol fcd has carbide sizer at base, 0.380 in diameter.

0.380 is as wide as case mouth can be after passing carbide sizer. Taper crimp portion is 0.379, inside diameter. See picture posted, note brass shavings.

dc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I wasn't seating with the FCD.  I wasn't crimping with the seating die, either.  I belled the case mouth less than I usually do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wasn't seating with the FCD.  I wasn't crimping with the seating die, either.  I belled the case mouth less than I usually do.

If your bell was less than .380 it shouldn't have nicked the carbide ring.

I don't know what else it the bell could be scraping against unless something is crooked or off center.

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your bell was less than .380 it shouldn't have nicked the carbide ring.

I don't know what else it the bell could be scraping against unless something is crooked or off center.

Carbide ring at base isn't the issue, taper crimp at top of die is the issue.

dc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
i would add a little more bell and turn the seating die back a little. All you need is for the seating dies to close up the bell enough to hold the bullet in place and let the FCD do the final crimp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top