Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2015 5:43:00 PM EDT
While moving some bullets I hit my finger on the sizing die post.  

I have put a 223 case over it to keep it from happening again.   I'm off to stitch it up myself .

FNGs don't do what I just did.

Solution

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That will buff right out....
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh God
A Graphic warning would of been nice.

Title made me think of a giraffe.

Been there before with the press and resizing die, but the damaged digit had nothing on the mill machine "incident".
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Break out the super glue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The older I get the more of a bull in the China shop I get. Maybe some plastic sleeves over those hazards would prevent some injuries.

I feel your pain. With me it's usually my forearm getting scratched from reaching over.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have done that a couple of times. I might have to look into that idea of putting a case over the top of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Pour a little powder in it and cauterize it. It will fix it right up.

ETA: I just realized this is not GD. I don't mean to offend anyone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pour a little powder in it and cauterize it. It will fix it right up.

ETA: I just realized this is not GD. I don't mean to offend anyone.
View Quote

It worked for Rambo...
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok I'm back , sorry for the bad spelling I was in a hurry.  

So what happened was, I was moving the bullets and heard my daughter screaming ( I F-ing hate you)at the tv.  

I quickly turned around and hit the post , I go inside to find her yelling at the NINERS QB.  

I had my other daughter who has a nursing degree from ORU stich me up.

What a exciting football Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So what happened was, I was moving the bullets and heard my daughter screaming ( I F-ing hate you)at the tv.  

I quickly turned around and hit the post , I go inside to find her yelling at the NINERS QB.  

View Quote

This is going to be a rough season to be a 49ers fan.  Hopefully this span of mediocrity won't last a decade+ like the last one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is going to be a rough season to be a 49ers fan.  Hopefully this span of mediocrity won't last a decade+ like the last one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is , I'm just gonna start my winter brass prep early and maybe shoot a litle more this season.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Did she do a good job on the stitches?

Nice boo-boo.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did she do a good job on the stitches?

Nice boo-boo.

Cheers!
-JC
View Quote

Let just say for her first real life repair it's gonna leave a nice scar but it works.  

She was more worried about the chunk of meat handing out and possible infection.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have scraped my inner forearm enough on that very die a few times over the years.   Enough to leave scars for awhile.    The first thing I do after using it is remove it before anything else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I tore up the sizing die post while using a screwdriver to lower the expander ball. Of course I raked my arm across it later. I dislike the RCBS dies for this reason.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tore up the sizing die post while using a screwdriver to lower the expander ball. Of course I raked my arm across it later. I dislike the RCBS dies for this reason.
View Quote

I might look at the redding sizer die .
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a couple of cases that I wanted to deprime quick on my rock chucker. Ran the case up but forgot to take my finger of the top of the 308 case. I did a great job of depriming the fitst nuckle of my index finger. The sound that made when I pulled it off the pin was something I will never forgot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I cut myself on the decapping pin on my Lee press getting a case out of the holder.

Edit was because I realized this is not GD.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just had 5 stitches put in myself this past Friday. Wish it was doing something other than prying frozen hamburgers apart.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just had 5 stitches put in myself this past Friday. Wish it was doing something other than prying frozen hamburgers apart.
View Quote

Hey those little slick patties can be  dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Was anyone else wondering...that little piece of fat hanging out...how did it taste?

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I put a recapping pin through my index fingernail when I first started loading. There is a lot of force transferred to the ram, let me tell you

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was anyone else wondering...that little piece of fat hanging out...how did it taste?

View Quote

It's a piece of tendon not fat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]
My worst reloading incident was depriming my finger. Those pins will slide right through a fingernail and bone like butter.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ohhhhh, it took me a minute to understand what exactly happened.

I'll probably jinx myself, but so far I've only managed a couple small bites from cases going in the sizer/decapper dies and blisters from trimming.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#25]
inserting the sizing die on my lyman luber/sizer that I had just finished a detail strip/clean and lube on( linkage was SILKY smooth) I had my finger over the top of the Die pushing it in place when I bumped the ram linkage dropping the ram/top punch right on my left index finger tip just above where the nail meets the cuticle... the top punch punched a nice half circle out the meat it hit and left blood blister under the nail that took several months to grow out...

I haven't cleaned that sumbitch since
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Or get a Dillon sizing die, it does not have that wonky all thread sticking out the top.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I got bit the same way, except  it got my forearm
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I used a vacuum cap like this on some of my dies:  http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Vacuum+Caps/N1167/N1171.oap

And I tried to decap my finger as well once, that kind of hurt
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Got me thinking.

Of all the strokes my press seen and untold amounts of bullets placed on cases I never got crushed on a seating die.

The most mid-evil equipped die is the one you hear about the most and the one I rarely have a digit by.

The seating die sees my finger every stroke but that decapping die is the biter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The older I get the more of a bull in the China shop I get. Maybe some plastic sleeves over those hazards would prevent some injuries.

I feel your pain. With me it's usually my forearm getting scratched from reaching over.

Motor
View Quote

Yup me too
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a 5" long scrape on my arm right now from the RCBS sizing die.

I feel your pain op.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I was messing with a sizing die yesterday and thought about how close I got to running the top end of the decapping rod into (or through) my hand.  I figured using screw thread protectors like these would at least slow my self-destructive tendencies a bit.

I have a bunch of these on hand from various things, so I think I'll be spending a little bit of time "safing" my dies this afternoon...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Done the same thing here OP but nowhere near as bad. Usually to my inner forearm when reaching for something across the bench. Took me forever to finally put something over it. Found those plastic AR muzzle caps work pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I have snagged my self on those screws too and it got me thinking of a solution.  I am going to buy some clear tubing to fit over the screw.  I think the local Ace sells it by the foot.  I can buy a foot or two to outfit all my die sets.  I'll leave the tube a little long so they stick over the end of the screw.  

Since it is clear, I will be able to see if the screw is out of adjustment and I can stick a screwdriver through the tubing in case I need to make a fine adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I just want to say thanks to everyone that has injured themselves on one of those like I have.

I hate to use the word feel but I don't feel so stupid now.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol... not too bad.  I managed to do something similar or worse at least a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Update on damage to my finger.  

I have lost the ability to move it over 50% , can't grip my 1911 to shoot it accurately.  

Little things like closing my truck door or opening a drawer will bring me to me knees do to knuckle pain.

I wake up in the night because of shooting pain down my finger and knuckles.  

Now the good , all this is do to tendon and nerve damage .

Doc says I will be gtg in a year as it all grows back together.  

The shooting pain is the nerve endings growing.  The constant pain is the tendon growing.  

Exray shows a chipped knuckle.  Nothing I can do about that.  

Good times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Jesus Y must have hit that thing hard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow when I saw your pic the other day I did't think it was that bad!!! Prayers for a speedy recovery!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey thanks guys.  

It's just been a year of stupid for me.  I tore my MCL in 3 gun trying to rundown 25 year olds

Now the finger thing , so another year.   Maybe it's just time to slow it down a little and pay more attention to detail.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Surprised RCBS warranty does not cover injuries due to .....

Seriously though get better quickly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
You will only do that once.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You will only do that once.
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Update on damage to my finger.  

I have lost the ability to move it over 50% , can't grip my 1911 to shoot it accurately.  

Little things like closing my truck door or opening a drawer will bring me to me knees do to knuckle pain.

I wake up in the night because of shooting pain down my finger and knuckles.  

Now the good , all this is do to tendon and nerve damage .

Doc says I will be gtg in a year as it all grows back together.  

The shooting pain is the nerve endings growing.  The constant pain is the tendon growing.  

Exray shows a chipped knuckle.  Nothing I can do about that.  

Good times.
View Quote
So do EXACTLY what the doctor says (and maybe later what the therapist says).  Tendon damage is easier to heal than nerve damage, but both do better when you don't over-bend the finger.  You may need a resting splint to keep you from moving the cracked joint too much, too.  Take it easy on yourself, and take it VERY easy on that finger, and what the doctor said about your recovery will be very accurate.  Overdo, and it'll be a lot slower - and a lot less comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was messing with a sizing die yesterday and thought about how close I got to running the top end of the decapping rod into (or through) my hand.  I figured using screw thread protectors like these would at least slow my self-destructive tendencies a bit.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YTbQWLz2L.jpg

I have a bunch of these on hand from various things, so I think I'll be spending a little bit of time "safing" my dies this afternoon...
View Quote

I cover all of mine with a short section of 1/4" rubber hose.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#47]
OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Your finger is still attached. You said this was GRAPHIC, that's not graphic, it's a cut.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Opening the bubble pak on my label maker. damn it sucks typing with one finger.

Bummer cause I was just about to start building My new shelves for the bench.

Guess I'll have to watch football.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Stupid hard/clear plastic packaging is really quite dangerous.  I'm seriously surprised that there hasn't been some sort of huge safety push to ban the crap, at least the kind that's welded together.  I've seen plenty of these packages that are made to sort of "Lego" together and are stapled or taped for security purposes - come on packaging folks, stop maiming innocent Americans!

More on topic, keep that finger tip clean and dry, and you'll heal fairly quickly.  I hope you're right handed!  Too bad so much reloading equipment requires you to use your left hand for fairly precise tasks, like feeding bullets...  That'll be a royal pain for you for a while.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top