Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:

Anyhow- Cabelas appears still has WIN #41’s on sale at $63/K, and availability in stores appears to be improving at the places I checked, so you might not even need to order them online for pickup like I did.  By the time they finally arrived, they also had them on the shelves (with an $80 store sticker, but the sale price was still good).  
The $63/k WIN #41 pricing is above what I wanted to pay, but those normally cost more anyhow, and with no hazmat or shipping costs, it isn’t bad for 2024…
View Quote

Good luck getting Cabela's to complete your order. A week ago I ordered 5k of the spp primers from the Norma deal and 10k of the srp deal from Cabela's. Anyways Cabela's is only filling 3k and canceled the rest of my order. I called and was told that it was due to lack of inventory, however their website still shows them available. Wondering if they are unofficially limiting purchase amounts. So l am waiting for the part of my order that wasn't canceled to arrive at my local Cabela's. Meanwhile the norma spp's showed up yesterday no problem
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
LGS got in a tiny amount of CCI SPP's. $8/100 + tax. I bought two of those little trays if for no other reason than I could and held my nose as I did so.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
One intersting dynamic is the powder shortage is now hitting.  I'm curious if that will result in insufficient market demand on primers, and help drive them down a bit.

Having only one powder manufacturer in the USA (St. Marks), is putting us in a discomforting position, but that's another thread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Winchester #41's are gone from Cabelas/BP.  Should have snagged more at $63/1k shipped to store.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RWEIII:
Winchester #41's are gone from Cabelas/BP.  Should have snagged more at $63/1k shipped to store.
View Quote

I did a save for later in my cabelas cart abs they still show for $62.98. I just checked and it still let me add them and check out.

I had 2k delivered on Monday.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
White River primers are now a no go. They are sending ALL primers to Europe and Australia. They have not allowed distributors to sell the stock they have on hand and have told all retailers to send them back to them to be repackaged to sell overseas
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
White River primers are now a no go. They are sending ALL primers to Europe and Australia. They have not allowed distributors to sell the stock they have on hand and have told all retailers to send them back to them to be repackaged to sell overseas
View Quote

They are still offering them in Bulk to large loaders in the states, I know that for sure.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]
Who/what are White River primers?  I've never heard of them before.

Are they a distributor or a manufacturer?

The idea of a product recall,... for redistribution overseas,... I've never heard of such a thing.  Do they just "loan" their product to distributors, allowing them to recall it?  Who pays for all the incidental costs (like shipping and advertising) associated with the loan and then recall?

What about those of us here in the USA?  They tout the product is Made In the USA but withdraw from the US market in favor of overseas sales???
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

They are still offering them in Bulk to large loaders in the states, I know that for sure.
View Quote

Not after yesterday
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Not after yesterday
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not after yesterday

I will E-mail them back and let them know they are not offering them to me any longer. : )
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OneMoreAR] [#11]
Yesterday I was in Academy Sports in Greenville, SC.  They had lots of primers, all for $7.99/100.  It seems the $60/k was the bottom and prices have again risen.

Palmetto State Armory had the sleeves for $10.99/100.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#12]
nm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]

I will E-mail them back and let them know they are not offering them to me any longer. : )
View Quote

Ask them then why they are pulling back the primers that the distributers have that were not able to be sold are being sent to Europe and Australia where they are selling them to them at .17 each
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The guy that owns the place is from Poland and has no loyalty to the US market.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
The guy that owns the place is from Poland and has no loyalty to the US market.
View Quote
I may have missed it, where are you getting the information from?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:24:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#16]
Ask them then why they are pulling back the primers that the distributers have that were not able to be sold are being sent to Europe and Australia where they are selling them to them at .17 each
View Quote

Is that 17 cents in Australian currency?  

If so, that's US$0.11.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#17]
If you can afford it, it's time to buy what you think you'll need, for at least the next 4-5 years.

The primary is essentially over, and the general election is going to be front and center dominating the news pretty soon. Prices will rise.

The more the polls show a close election, or favor a Democrat win, the worse it will get.

Buy now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]
.05 SPP from Norma is encouraging.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OneMoreAR] [#19]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
View Quote

Link please?

Edit, Found it:  SPP
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Is that 17 cents in Australian currency?  

If so, that's US$0.11.
View Quote

usd. and the cost was importer cost
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
View Quote

I'm sure the number of complaints regarding a second strike needed to set them off is helping keep the price where it is. Careful seating seems to address this, but still I'd bet the complaints floating around are affecting sales. There's another thread on these primers so nuff said...
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have only had a few ignition issues in a 365 with a lightened trigger/striker.  Since I gutted it and put the factory parts back in, 100%.  Never had an issue in a 9mm 1911 with a 19 lb mainspring.

I’ve used about 400 of the Norma thus far.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
So is there a consensus on ranking of the import primers?  

I see Capital Cartridge has SP primers from Murom, Servicos Aventuras, and Ginex.  Prices range from 6.1¢ to 7¢.

I've loaded around 10,000 of the Ginex SP and several hundred LP without issue.  I've read about the double-strike / seating issue with Servicos Aventuras.  I thought I read somewhere that Murom was the actual manufacturer of the Wolf primers that were so inexpensive pre-covid.  If that is the case, they should be good to go.  

View Quote

50 bucks to test 1k of the ser. Aventuras.
Maybe not 50 if you only buy 1k, free shipping kicks in at 200 last I saw.

Mine seat easier than CCI and most others.  Like I said, they worked once I canned the  Mcarbo springs in a 365.  They always worked in a DS1911.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I found LRP at Scheels in Chandler, but they are $100 per brick.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By gasdoc09:
If you can afford it, it's time to buy what you think you'll need, for at least the next 4-5 years.

The primary is essentially over, and the general election is going to be front and center dominating the news pretty soon. Prices will rise.

The more the polls show a close election, or favor a Democrat win, the worse it will get.

Buy now.
View Quote

Yep. I put away 20k of small pistol and 10k of small rifle in 2023. I'm set for the next few years as far as primers go.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread was started 2 years and 4 months ago. It is clearly apparent that the primer shortage is NOT "about to bust open" either in terms of availability or price.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
This thread was started 2 years and 4 months ago. It is clearly apparent that the primer shortage is NOT "about to bust open" either in terms of availability or price.

View Quote

And it is probably going to stay here indefinitely. We're in an election year now with more war on the horizon and there's going to be all kinds of scaring tactics and propaganda that will keep the prices where they are or drive them even higher.

I stated earlier in this thread that I was just going to have to eat some crow and pay these high prices due to being low on large pistol primers mostly but every time I go to click to pay 75 to $90 + hazmat and shipping per 1000, I just can't bring myself to do it and I chicken out.  I've even waited for the free hazmat shipping and it still just seems like too much.

Seriously considering just getting out of reloading pistol for now and just buying factory ammo for at least large pistol cal.

I have enough powder primers ect: for my rifles to get me through another two years or so, then what? Pay the prices that will probably be even more ridiculously high then? Or just get out of this hobby entirely.

Yeah yeah yeah I know I know go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Yep. Continuing unrest in the world has doomed that hope.

Prices are never, ever coming down on ammo or components.

Current prices will ge as good as it gets.

I gave accepted this and started significantly restocking at current prices.  

If I’m wrong and prices gone back down, I’ll laugh and just buy more.

But I highly doubt that.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:15:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#31]
Originally Posted By gman556:
... Or just get out of this hobby entirely.

View Quote

It's not about being poor.  

The very last thing you should do is drop out of the reloading and shooting.  Fundamentally, they are not "just a hobby".  At least not for me, they're not.  

The rest of my reaction is too socio-economic and political for this technical forum.  I typed it but did not post it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
This being a technical forum, we don't use that put down.

That's a GD thing, and it can stay there.
View All Quotes

This being a technical forum, we don't use that put down.

That's a GD thing, and it can stay there.

Good, glad to hear that.

I guess I forgot that the mod for this forum runs a tight ship unlike some of the other tech forums here
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I was shocked that cabelas had winchester 41s at the 62.98 price.

How and why?

Hopefully we see more.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I always felt this was a venting thread, and there is hope of lower prices......

But not much chance of that happening.
View Quote

If it had just been the weirdness of supply chain snd buying habits during COVID, I think prices would have fallen much more.  Probs my never back to the pre-COVID levels, but less than current prices.

I think it’s really the new wars breaking out that will put extra supply chain and psychological pressure on ammo and component sales.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
I was shocked that cabelas had winchester 41s at the 62.98 price.

How and why?

Hopefully we see more.

View Quote

From everything I’ve read Win primers have a bad reputation.

What I want to know is are the Win #41 primers the ones used at LC in their 5.56 ammo?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:11:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#38]

View Quote

Leave the memes in GD, dryflash3

Off to buy some more CCI #350 and #3
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Local gunshop has a steady supply of CCI LR Magnum primers and Winchester LRP. They are $89 per k. Everything I see online says they are more expensive plus shipping.

Wish I could find them cheaper but cannot at the moment. So every weekend I give them a few dollars more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

But I highly doubt that.

View All Quotes

But I highly doubt that.

I believe for the foreseeable future you're right and it's likely foolish to sit on the sidelines any longer if you're a serious shooter/reloader/hunter.

There's a lot going on out there and stability is not exactly the word of the day. If you stack a case of LPP and they drop by $10/k over the next six months, are you really out of anything?

It was noted in GD this week that PV, Midway, etc. are stocked reasonably well so that implies that the shortage is over. I think we've all seen how quickly that can change.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

I believe for the foreseeable future you're right and it's likely foolish to sit on the sidelines any longer if you're a serious shooter/reloader/hunter.

There's a lot going on out there and stability is not exactly the word of the day. If you stack a case of LPP and they drop by $10/k over the next six months, are you really out of anything?

It was noted in GD this week that PV, Midway, etc. are stocked reasonably well so that implies that the shortage is over. I think we've all seen how quickly that can change.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lokifox:

But I highly doubt that.

Absolutely this for the next year if not longer!

I was able to find True Blue for $35lb at my LGS so jumped on that and in addition have added 8k of the Argentina Aventuras SPP's at $50 per K with free shipping and no hazmat, in the last few weeks and will more than likely continue to add more to the stockpile. Even if I run into some that FTF, then I at least have range ammo along with some failure training.

One of the reasons I got into reloading was so that I was able to continue shooting regularly regardless of the supply issues of previous years. The difference now is I am not doing that for under $0.10 a round. But I am still shooting, although not 400-500 round count range days.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#42]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#43]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Snip, dryflash3

Off to buy some more CCI #350 and #34.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Snip, dryflash3

Off to buy some more CCI #350 and #34.

The sentiment is no doubt true. But on a more nickpicky immediate note, what's really blowing my mind is the 76% error in that post that nobody caught.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Yeah, I had to break down and buy 5000 LP primers a year or so ago when I bought a new .45 pistol.  I quickly used up the remainder of my LP primer stash and was stuck with the option of either not shooting or buying 10¢ primers.  My other option was to use up the last few thousand LPM primers I had, but I wanted to save them for magnum cartridges.  I did get by for a while using small-brass .45, but I don't have near enough of those.  So I broke down and bought the overpriced primers.  

Think about it this way.  If you suck it up and pay current prices for primers, you're looking at around 10¢ per primer plus 12¢-15¢ per bullet.  Add a penny for powder and you're at 23¢-26¢ per shot for 10mm.  
If you load .45 ACP, bullets are 13¢-18¢ each, giving you a per-shot price of 24¢-29¢.  
For .44 Mag you're looking at 14¢-35¢ per bullet and maybe 2¢ worth of powder for a per-shot price of 26¢-47¢.

(I was using Missouri Bullet Co. and Rocky Mountain Reloading for coated lead and jacketed bullet prices, respectively.)

Now looking at Ammoseek, I see 10mm remanufactured ammo starts around 33¢-50¢ for blaster-grade ammo.  
.45 ACP is 34¢-45¢
.44 Mag is 60¢-74¢

So yes - 10¢ LP primers are no fun to buy.  But going to factory ammo isn't going to help.  

This is where I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of small primer 10mm and .45 ACP brass, just so I can use my SP or SR primers with it.  I haven't seen any SP brass in .44 Mag or .45 Colt yet.  And I don't shoot enough .38-40 to worry about it.
View All Quotes
I stated earlier in this thread that I was just going to have to eat some crow and pay these high prices due to being low on large pistol primers...
Seriously considering just getting out of reloading pistol for now and just buying factory ammo for at least large pistol cal.

Yeah, I had to break down and buy 5000 LP primers a year or so ago when I bought a new .45 pistol.  I quickly used up the remainder of my LP primer stash and was stuck with the option of either not shooting or buying 10¢ primers.  My other option was to use up the last few thousand LPM primers I had, but I wanted to save them for magnum cartridges.  I did get by for a while using small-brass .45, but I don't have near enough of those.  So I broke down and bought the overpriced primers.  

Think about it this way.  If you suck it up and pay current prices for primers, you're looking at around 10¢ per primer plus 12¢-15¢ per bullet.  Add a penny for powder and you're at 23¢-26¢ per shot for 10mm.  
If you load .45 ACP, bullets are 13¢-18¢ each, giving you a per-shot price of 24¢-29¢.  
For .44 Mag you're looking at 14¢-35¢ per bullet and maybe 2¢ worth of powder for a per-shot price of 26¢-47¢.

(I was using Missouri Bullet Co. and Rocky Mountain Reloading for coated lead and jacketed bullet prices, respectively.)

Now looking at Ammoseek, I see 10mm remanufactured ammo starts around 33¢-50¢ for blaster-grade ammo.  
.45 ACP is 34¢-45¢
.44 Mag is 60¢-74¢

So yes - 10¢ LP primers are no fun to buy.  But going to factory ammo isn't going to help.  

This is where I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of small primer 10mm and .45 ACP brass, just so I can use my SP or SR primers with it.  I haven't seen any SP brass in .44 Mag or .45 Colt yet.  And I don't shoot enough .38-40 to worry about it.

This is a good idea. I have a shitload of LRP .45 and 10mm, but should stash some SPP versions too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

Good luck getting Cabela's to complete your order. A week ago I ordered 5k of the spp primers from the Norma deal and 10k of the srp deal from Cabela's. Anyways Cabela's is only filling 3k and canceled the rest of my order. I called and was told that it was due to lack of inventory, however their website still shows them available. Wondering if they are unofficially limiting purchase amounts. So l am waiting for the part of my order that wasn't canceled to arrive at my local Cabela's. Meanwhile the norma spp's showed up yesterday no problem
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
Originally Posted By tac556:

Anyhow- Cabelas appears still has WIN #41’s on sale at $63/K, and availability in stores appears to be improving at the places I checked, so you might not even need to order them online for pickup like I did.  By the time they finally arrived, they also had them on the shelves (with an $80 store sticker, but the sale price was still good).  
The $63/k WIN #41 pricing is above what I wanted to pay, but those normally cost more anyhow, and with no hazmat or shipping costs, it isn’t bad for 2024…

Well they filled it, plus they had more in stock at the store when it arrived.  Total of 18k between mine and some for my son…

Also- some folks saying Winchester primers have a bad reputation?  I may not have used them much in reloading in the past, but I have seen a ton of their 5.56 and .223 used- like over a million rounds, and similar amounts of their pistol ammo.  The only bad primers we had were the lead free ones- those were garbage. I have zero doubt that their #41 primers will be good.  I mean they load tens of millions of rounds for the military and LE agencies yearly….

Check that- did see an agency with some bad Win. pistol ammo, primer issues, but the suspicion was some seriously wet storage conditions.  Never heard the full story, but Winchester took it all back.  Did not have opportunity to see it myself so cannot comment too much….

Anyhow- the fact that Cabelas had #41’s on sale for that long of a time at all is kind of a positive sign overall in my opinion.  Maybe not the best price, but #41’s are more expensive normally anyhow, so it seems to be in the somewhat reasonable range at least.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#47]

.45 ACP is 34¢-45¢
.44 Mag is 60¢-74¢

View All Quotes
I stated earlier in this thread that I was just going to have to eat some crow and pay these high prices due to being low on large pistol primers...

.45 ACP is 34¢-45¢
.44 Mag is 60¢-74¢

This is where I'm at. Relloading is not as cheap as it used to be, but it's still cheaper than factory ammo...and nothing is as cheap as it used to be.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Think dealer by me has rem SPP for $50 still

Gonna stop by later and check after kid goes to Dr

Cabela's had some for $90 for 1k but I didn't see what kind, either SPP or SRP, busy and couldn't get details
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I have one table at the local gun show as a hobby. 8 times a year. The large reloading company decided to stop doing the gun show so I was the only guy that had anything and I don't have much on one table

A guy walks up and asked if I was interested in buying some reloading stuff from an estate and I said yes what do you have?

he handed me a 5 page printout and on the first page there was 6-7K of primers and match Hornady bullets so I asked how much for everything.

He said $300.00 (I was expecting a much higher amount) and I hauled it all in and put the primers out first.

An old guy walks up and says how much for the Winchester primers? I said $5.00/100. He said that is absurd he would not pay more than $3.00/100. I said I don't blame you sir hold your ground and he walked off

You would have thought I activated an electromagnet and customers were junk metal as they came running from every direction and just like that I was out of primers
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#50]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

This is where I'm at. Relloading is not as cheap as it used to be, but it's still cheaper than factory ammo...and nothing is as cheap as it used to be.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

.45 ACP is 34¢-45¢
.44 Mag is 60¢-74¢

Prices get much better if you use blem or pulled FMJ or JHP from AR and occasionally they have a suitable pistol powder for about $20/lb in 8 lb jugs.

The math for reloaded 9mm using available low-cost materials works out as follows:

Brass: $30/k
Bullets: $50/k
Primers: $60/k
Powder: $25/k

$165/k for 9mm reloads vs $225/k factory new. If you can reload 1k rds / hr, that is $60/hr you're paying yourself vs buying factory.

Using NEW components with 100% reliability (not talking about the Norma import SPP), and retail powder/bulk bullets, that price increases to the point 9mm is most definitely not worth reloading:

Brass: $30/k
Bullets: $80/k
Primers: $80/k
Powder: $35/k

$225/k. Why waste your time when you can buy a sealed case of import ammo from TargetSports for the same cost?
Page / 17
Top Top