Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:00:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
I wonder how powder prices were affected during Vietnam, Gulf War, early GWOT, and the Great Recession.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:
Just came back from Full Circle Reloading with 2 pounds of CFE-Pistol and a pound of H335.  So Hodgson is going up 30% and Alliant 15%.  Varget will now be 67 bucks a pound or thereabouts.  Holy crap.

I picked a horrible time to pick up reloading.  First it was primers were out of stock, now powder is going to go nuts.
View Quote

Yeah you did!

A single lb of 335 is not going to go very far making rifle rounds... That is pretty much like opening the fridge to get a glass of milk and seeing a more or less empty milk jug with a milk film left on the bottom of it.

I went to do something in the supply closet recently and saw that a shelf had busted its pins on one side and dropped to rest on the stuff underneath it.

I did the math and figured there was about 260lbs of 45 projectiles on that one side of that shelf.

Thinking that if I had done 3 rows of shelf holes instead of just the 2 - That shelf would have easily been able to support 300+ lbs per side...

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

For accurate, reloaded ammunition, there is still a 50% lower price relative to factory ammo.  

There is also an accuracy advantage for reloading which is sometimes considerable.

In some cases, there is an availability issue.  Many quasi-wildcat cartridges are simply not available or are not readily available in factory ammo.
View Quote

Depending on the rounds the savings can be even greater.

460 Rowland factory ammo is currently $51.74 for a whopping 20 rounds... (Plus whatever shipping and tax garbage they hit you with for that puny little box of ammo)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=235

Depending on the bullet I choose to use my cost to make my own is more like 20 to 30 CENTS per round

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#4]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:
Depending on the rounds the savings can be even greater.

460 Rowland factory ammo is currently $51.74 for a whopping 20 rounds... (Plus whatever shipping and tax garbage they hit you with for that puny little box of ammo)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=235

Depending on the bullet I choose to use my cost to make my own is more like 20 to 30 CENTS per round

View Quote

Yes, it could easily be more.  I quoted a generic minimum savings amount one can expect through reloading.  Personally, I save about $1.15 per round (a 56% savings using today's prices for everything).

$0.36 - bullet
$0.08 - case
$0.15 - primer
$0.28 - powder (assumed $45/pound)

$0.87 - completed round

Plus, the usual tailoring is done.  This powder was personally selected to work in my rifle.  No one else I know of is using this powder.  I do know that what is commonly used for this cartridge does not work well in my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Local place has 244 for $30 and shooters world Long Rifle for $34. May buy a bunch just to have or for trade fodder later.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
$57 for a pound of varget .....
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 3:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
$57 for a pound of varget .....
View Quote

At least you can find Varget. Here in Alaska its been years since I've found any on the shelves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
IMO, and I could be wrong, but the prices are the way they are in large part because people keep paying... I can't help but believe there is some shady shit going on with price increases, political or otherwise.

Every time you turn around there's another thread on price increases and speculation on world-wide shortages, all feeding into panic buying and price increases.

I'm glad I have plenty of ammo and components... I doubt seriously I'll exhaust my stash but regardless, I'm done with buying components... fuck the manufactures that shit can sit on shelves collecting dust as far as I'm concerned. I simply refuse to believe the price increases and shortages are not being influenced by other sources.

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#9]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
IMO, and I could be wrong, but the prices are the way they are in large part because people keep paying... I can't help but believe there is some shady shit going on with price increases, political or otherwise.

Every time you turn around there's another thread on price increases and speculation on world-wide shortages, all feeding into panic buying and price increases.

I'm glad I have plenty of ammo and components... I doubt seriously I'll exhaust my stash but regardless, I'm done with buying components... fuck the manufactures that shit can sit on shelves collecting dust as far as I'm concerned. I simply refuse to believe the price increases and shortages are not being influenced by other sources.

View Quote

In large part yes.  Old supply and demand thing.  Obviously if the shelves keep being emptied faster than production and delivery they can keep raising the price and get away with it.  Costs of production be damned, increased profit while you can.  Not sure I recall which member posted it but one of the big over arching companies powder and primer divisions had profits up a 140% last year.   Are they required to lower their prices to a “reasonable” profit?  Not really until the product no longer sells well.   I do admit I feel that I am getting priced out and have been loading since the 80’s.   Powder was about $16 a pound iirc,  Not long ago I finished my last old stock of unique in the cardboard can, it had $13.99 on the top in my sharpie handwriting.  .  Combustible dirt though.

I did buy some powder the other day on an order with a friend to share hazmat.  Both of us were buying powders that weren’t showing crazy price jumps.  I bought two pounds of a fast pistol powder from a brand I just started trying out.   They have been around a couple decades, I just never used them.   Under $30 a pound.   I also bought N160 to try as an alternate to H4350 in places.  An 8# was iin the mid thirties per pound whereas H4350 is what $59 or $69 if you can find it.  I opted out of those prices.   VV used to be the expensive option if you could find it, I don’t ever recall a local shop carrying the VV line.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Supply and demand is a part of it, the other part is the consolidation of powder and precursor manufacturers. Iirc, there's something like less than a dozen worldwide that make it for the civilian market. They buy as much from each other to supplement the burn rates they make in house to offer a full range. Combine that with having to get government approval, and prioritize fulfilling any government contracts before they can sell an ounce to the public.

It's a shit show.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
IDK but maybe the wars that are going on now might have something to do with it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Local report: $60/lb. Varget (grand total of 3lb in town), cheapest primers $0.10 a piece, H335 $80/lb. (saw it with my own eyes), H/I 4895 unobtanium.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#13]
Originally Posted By ceesthadees:
Local report: $60/lb. Varget (grand total of 3lb in town), cheapest primers $0.10 a piece, H335 $80/lb. (saw it with my own eyes), H/I 4895 unobtanium.
View Quote

H335 being that price is pants on head retarded
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

View Quote

Ditto what the others here have said about people buying it at those prices.

Let that stuff sit on the shelf 'unsold' for a while and prices will come back to sanity levels but as long as people are buying it at the stupid prices retailers would be dumb not to rake in the profits.

I think the last time I laid in on that particular powder I gave around $170 per 8lb jug locally.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 3:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kuhndog599] [#15]
I wish I got into reloading a few years earlier and stacked it deep. I did fairly well on primers (still have around 30 bricks)

Primers locally are still 120-200. We have one local shop that carries them. Their powder prices the last couple years have ranged 45 for the cheapest up to 60 or 65 so I usually just order online.

I placed an order for 4 lbs of cfe pistol and 4 of tac. I should have bought some more. My house still hasn't been worked on from the storm we had in July so I'm trying to hold back until all of that is sorted out. I've never tried pull down powder but I'm looking at giving it a shot with some of it being 80 bucks cheaper per 8lbs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kuhndog599:
I wish I got into reloading a few years earlier and stacked it deep. I did fairly well on primers (still have around 30 bricks)

Primers locally are still 120-200. We have one local shop that carries them. Their powder prices the last couple years have ranged 45 for the cheapest up to 60 or 65 so I usually just order online.

I placed an order for 4 lbs of cfe pistol and 4 of tac. I should have bought some more. My house still hasn't been worked on from the storm we had in July so I'm trying to hold back until all of that is sorted out. I've never tried pull down powder but I'm looking at giving it a shot with some of it being 80 bucks cheaper per 8lbs.
View Quote

Best (most cost effective) way to buy powders or primers online is to max out the limit on a single hazmat ticket.

That extra hazmat charge is not so bad when spread out over the limit - Not so great when only buying a few lbs...

Even better if you have a local reloading friend to share the order with you and split all of the shipping charges (and max out the order). :)
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

That is a desperation price.  If you really have no other options, it MIGHT be worth a small purchase.  Otherwise,... fugeddaboudit!
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh I agree. I was able to get free shipping and the tac was on sale so it wasn't too bad. I used to order with a friend but he was used to paying 25 a brick and has completely gotten out of reloading/shooting.

I still came out ahead compared to buying from any of the shops within 60 miles. But yeah, ordering 24 lbs would have been much nicer lol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
This was different place that had the Varget. The Varget place had, at least legit looking, prices marked. Pretty sure the H335 guy has just given up on trying to track the crazy market. He just said $80 for 1lb. of any powder.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Where the hell are you buying powder?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I've wondered the same thing, and I've also believed that if you couldn't build a better product, buy up your competitor: Hodgdon make a fine product, but with their absorption of Accurate Arms, Ramshot, IMR, and Winchester they have a huge chunk of the market...As I understand it, quite a bit of Powder sold by Hodgdon comes from overseas suppliers, and you'd think with all the foreign made Powders coming into the Country there wouldn't be a shortage and prices would be down, but such isn't the case.

Anymore I buy a pretty good chunk of stuff at Auctions, Estate Sales, and folks moving or getting out, which keeps costs more in-line with what they should be.

A false or even real threat of "Shortage" will send people off on buying frenzies, often paying well above normal prices and happy to get it...and I suppose if you're selling all you want at inflated prices, then why cut your rates?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:59:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#22]
Originally Posted By kuhndog599:  ... and has completely gotten out of reloading/shooting.
View Quote

This is either their an inevitable consequence or their desired outcome.  

Remember, the anti-gunners are EVERYWHERE.  You do not need to be a pro-reloading, or pro-gunner, to be on the Board at a large company that just so happens to own one (or a few) gun-related companies.

Imagine buying a company for relatively small amounts of money, then raising prices across the board to recoup your investment and improve profitability (by a lot).  

"Those reloaders are making ammo with our components for half the market price of factory ammo.  Raise those prices, then raise them again and yet again until they squeal and still more until they stop buying.  Then, throttle back a little.  In the mean time, we can sell everything we make to ammo factories and to the US Government."

Remember what happened to Colt!

Whether my little story is true or not, does not matter.  I can tell you, I have had thoughts of getting out of shooting sports because of these price hikes (2-3X in as many years).
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

In large part yes.  Old supply and demand thing.  Obviously if the shelves keep being emptied faster than production and delivery they can keep raising the price and get away with it.  Costs of production be damned, increased profit while you can.  Not sure I recall which member posted it but one of the big over arching companies powder and primer divisions had profits up a 140% last year.   Are they required to lower their prices to a “reasonable” profit?  Not really until the product no longer sells well.   I do admit I feel that I am getting priced out and have been loading since the 80’s.   Powder was about $16 a pound iirc,  Not long ago I finished my last old stock of unique in the cardboard can, it had $13.99 on the top in my sharpie handwriting.  .  Combustible dirt though.

I did buy some powder the other day on an order with a friend to share hazmat.  Both of us were buying powders that weren’t showing crazy price jumps.  I bought two pounds of a fast pistol powder from a brand I just started trying out.   They have been around a couple decades, I just never used them.   Under $30 a pound.   I also bought N160 to try as an alternate to H4350 in places.  An 8# was iin the mid thirties per pound whereas H4350 is what $59 or $69 if you can find it.  I opted out of those prices.   VV used to be the expensive option if you could find it, I don’t ever recall a local shop carrying the VV line.
View Quote

I bought 5 pounds of N135 and one of the N150 at the Unadilla Gun Show & Flea Market last year: haven't loaded either...decades ago when we were playing with the .445 Super Mag I think we burned a pound or two of N130?  Scored a pound of 5744 at Auction for $20.  Buffalo Rifle by Shooters World works great for fat-ass straight walled cartridges.
Bullets are another one that have jumped WAY up...lots of folks are going to be really pissed and SOL when the State makes "Lead Free" Ammunition mandatory for Hunting or Shooting on Public Lands...they already have the NYC Water Shead areas locked up against Lead ammo. (at least I think they passed the Legislation)
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 5:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#24]

View Quote

Removed, post that trash in GD, not here. dryflash3

If everyone is buying to a point where sellers can't keep it in stock then the price is too low. If sellers can't sell at the current price then the price is too high.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 5:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#25]
Also, I wonder how many of the people in this thread complain about inflation in GD, but completely memory-hole the concept when the topic reaches powder cost?

We don't care what happens in GD, we are in this forum to discuss reloading. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I wonder how powder prices were affected during Vietnam, Gulf War, early GWOT, and the Great Recession.
View Quote

During the switch to the M16, the government was surplusing their stocks of extruded powders, you could buy some of the IMRs for $0.25/lb if you bought by the pallet. I can remember my Dad using up his last barrel of powder teaching me to reload. I'd imagine that depressed powder a lot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:11:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N1150x] [#28]
BLC-2 8 lb at Powder Valley went from 172.50 in fall 2020 to 263 2023 to 314 January 15 2024. These prices do not include hazmat or shipping! In 2019 I was lucky enough to grab some bullseye for 12$ a lb on a private sale. Very happy I made that purchase. I wasn't in the best financial position but made it work at the time. I'll be sipping that powder for a long time. Retail today would have been 780$. Moral of the story is buy deals when you find them. The 'good old days' might not be that far in the past. I'm starting to think that 5 cent primers and 30$ powder is not a bad deal.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

Removed, post that trash in GD, not here. dryflash3

If everyone is buying to a point where sellers can't keep it in stock then the price is too low. If sellers can't sell at the current price then the price is too high.
View Quote

I wasn't trying to provide a "who done it" explanation, I guess I failed at trying to make a point... my point was to stop buying "just to buy".

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I bought 5 pounds of Unique at the Orlando gun show yesterday for $210 and was happy to get it.

I passed on Winchester SP primers for $70.  maybe I should have bit on that too.
View Quote

No shipping and no haz mat makes that a very decent price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

It's a shit show.
View Quote

Yes... it certainly is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By reelserious:

we're getting gouged.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By reelserious:
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Has been since '21.

Either components are a truer representation of inflation, or we're getting gouged.

we're getting gouged.

When PSA/AAC can sell similar ammo to other makers at 50+% lower costs, we're getting gouged.

Sure FGMM and BH may fly better and have more consistent loading practices (maybe, not sure on this, only speculating), but the components they're using aren't much different - especially when comparing the Sierra bullet loads.

Thankfully I learned from Obamamania I & II, but it would be nice to replenish certain items...  

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#34]
Originally Posted By fp1201:

I bought 5 pounds of N135 and one of the N150 at the Unadilla Gun Show & Flea Market last year: haven't loaded either...decades ago when we were playing with the .445 Super Mag I think we burned a pound or two of N130?  Scored a pound of 5744 at Auction for $20.  Buffalo Rifle by Shooters World works great for fat-ass straight walled cartridges.
Bullets are another one that have jumped WAY up...lots of folks are going to be really pissed and SOL when the State makes "Lead Free" Ammunition mandatory for Hunting or Shooting on Public Lands...they already have the NYC Water Shead areas locked up against Lead ammo. (at least I think they passed the Legislation)
View Quote

I still have a bit of that AA#5 you gave me!  . Almost gone though, good stuff in medium rate uses,  I admit the majority of my pistol loads are cup cake powder puff loads with fast powders.

I miss sr4756.  cast bullet rifle perfection.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kuhndog599:
Oh I agree. I was able to get free shipping and the tac was on sale so it wasn't too bad. I used to order with a friend but he was used to paying 25 a brick and has completely gotten out of reloading/shooting.

I still came out ahead compared to buying from any of the shops within 60 miles. But yeah, ordering 24 lbs would have been much nicer lol.
View Quote

For years my MO was to buy single pound cans locally for tests.  If I liked it and expected to use it often I’d buy an 8 pounder online when there was a sale or combining with a friend or two.  If it was a small volume use powder I’d just keep buying locally.  I had a can of one of the fancy Enduron powders in my hand about five years ago.  I think the short version of 4064 burns like varget.  4166? The guy rang it up at the register at something like $90.  All stop, reverse engines.  I told him to cancel the sale out of the register and I’d do him a favor and put it back on the shelf for him.  That was my first and last time in that shop.

I can say no.  I can cut back.  I can change brands if it makes sense.  

I’ve been reloading since the eighties and just bought my first vihtavouri. .  It’s no longer the most expensive option.

I am wondering what Hodgdon’s game is jacking everything up but mostly leaving the Ramshot brand alone.  Is there that much less demand for it?  The Dodge brand of gun powder?  Anyways I am trying them now due to reviews and price.  So far I have True Blue and now some Zip.  I’d buy TAC again but I am still using up my jugs of WC844.

Price difference wasn’t enough to change powders over that in the old days.   That has changed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Go over to PV and look. They jacked the prices!
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
Local place has 244 for $30 and shooters world Long Rifle for $34. May buy a bunch just to have or for trade fodder later.
View Quote

Went to buys some of this SW powder today and they bumped the price $11, up to $45.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Even at todays prices I can load the new .224 Sierra, 69gr Tipped GMK for about $50 more per 1,000 than buying LC M193, or any of the quality M193 brands. The same with the Gold Dots in the 62gr.

Using current prices off the net today, Ramshot powder, CCI #41 primers, free cases, and $300.00 / 1,000 Gold Dots, I can load a case for $11/20, or $550/ 1,000.

M193 from a top source, LC M193 5.56 NATO, Winchester, runs $499

M855 62gr, from LC made for Winchester, 5.56 NATO, runs $550

So you can load a Gold Dot or Sierra TGMK for the exact price as much less devastating, much less accurate M855, and only a nickle more per round than M193.

1 moa or better ammo for the same price as 4moa or better ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
Even at todays prices I can load the new .224 Sierra, 69gr Tipped GMK for about $50 more per 1,000 than buying LC M193, or any of the quality M193 brands. The same with the Gold Dots in the 62gr.

Using current prices off the net today, Ramshot powder, CCI #41 primers, free cases, and $300.00 / 1,000 Gold Dots, I can load a case for $11/20, or $550/ 1,000.

M193 from a top source, LC M193 5.56 NATO, Winchester, runs $499

M855 62gr, from LC made for Winchester, 5.56 NATO, runs $550

So you can load a Gold Dot or Sierra TGMK for the exact price as much less devastating, much less accurate M855, and only a nickle more per round than M193.

1 moa or better ammo for the same price as 4moa or better ammo.
View Quote

With some of the horrific QC on factory training ammo bought by my former employer I am actually more confident with my reloads than Winchester or Remington 5.56 fmj.   Crumpled necks, folded over neck mouths to double the brass up in thickness, severely bent necks, bullets loose/ shoved in, primers in backwards or just missing letting ball powder out.

The last ten years I saw more defective ammo than I saw in the previous thirty years.  Frankly it’s shaken my confidence in US manufacturers QC departments, pump it out, fill the boxes, fill the pallets.   Most of the duty ammo was fine but the training ammo got sketchier.

I have  more confidence in some foreign brands to do their QC.  Fiocchi, GECO, S&B.etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Let that stuff sit on the shelf 'unsold' for a while and prices will come back to sanity levels but as long as people are buying it at the stupid prices retailers would be dumb not to rake in the profits.

I think the last time I laid in on that particular powder I gave around $170 per 8lb jug locally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

While some blame can for sure be placed on the retailers, I am thinking that the majority lies on the manufacturers.  My theory is that greed has really gotten to them.  Someone looked around, saw the (former) HUGE discounts us reloaders were enjoying, and decided they were leaving a lot of money on the table.  It's a sad consequence of this upside-down post-Covid world.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:10:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#41]
We buy the components.

We buy the tools and tooling and gages.

We spend our time and money developing the loads.  Load development is NOT risk-free.

We expend our labor loading the ammo.

We participate in the shooting sports.  

We shoot a shit-load of ammo, too.  Way more than your stereotypical hunter - 3 rounds to sight in and one for the deer.

Then we do it all over again.

We also, here on this forum, promote reloading and shooting.

I am watching them VERY carefully.  I do not like what I see.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#42]

I am wondering what Hodgdon's game is jacking everything up but mostly leaving the Ramshot brand alone.  Is there that much less demand for it?  The Dodge brand of gun powder?  Anyways I am trying them now due to reviews and price.  So far I have True Blue and now some Zip.  I'd buy TAC again but I am still using up my jugs of WC844.

Price difference wasn't enough to change powders over that in the old days.   That has changed.
View Quote
They haven't left Ramshot alone. Not sure what you're seeing. But, I bought some TAC in late 2020 for $23/lb. Mind you this is late 2020 after Covid had already bumped the prices up a good bit from 2019.

It is currently sitting just under twice the price I paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#43]

With some of the horrific QC on factory training ammo bought by my former employer I am actually more confident with my reloads than Winchester or Remington 5.56 fmj.   Crumpled necks, folded over neck mouths to double the brass up in thickness, severely bent necks, bullets loose/ shoved in, primers in backwards or just missing letting ball powder out.

The last ten years I saw more defective ammo than I saw in the previous thirty years.  Frankly it’s shaken my confidence in US manufacturers QC departments, pump it out, fill the boxes, fill the pallets.   Most of the duty ammo was fine but the training ammo got sketchier.

I have  more confidence in some foreign brands to do their QC.  Fiocchi, GECO, S&B.etc.
View Quote

This is why I don't shoot factory loads except Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot, and a few other high end defensive ammo.

I will only buy it though if I haven't got a stockpile of components or they aren't ion stock like during the panics. When I switched back to a 1911 and .45acp a few months ago, I bought two boxes of 230gr HST to carry, and one box of Federal  230gr FMJ. I bought a new set of dies for my Dillon, a brick of CCI LPP magnum primers,  a bunch more Bullseye powder, 500 LP once fired cases, and 500 Berry's 230gr fmj for plinking. . My next purchase is 500 more once fired cases, 500 HST projos or Gold Dots in 230gr. Every few months I'll do 500 more of the plinking loads until I get 5,000, then SD loads until I get 2500. After that, I just load whatever numbers I shoot.

I do that for every caliber except 7.62x39, but with current prices, I'm going to go over to brass cased, boxer primed loaded ammo, buy a case, and every time we shoot 250 rds, I'll load that with a good 123gr soft point, like the Winchester projos, or a bonded soft point in 123gr, and load them. When i hit 250 factory rounds left, I'll buy another case if I haven't found a cheap enough supplier of good brass. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy loaded and shoot it and uise the brass than it is to buy new or once fired brass and then load it.

But back to your point, a good hand loader, meticulously following the correct methods, and paying attention, will always make a more accurate, more reliable, and safer ammo than any factory, even premium ammo. I don't tend to buy anything factory other than .380 ( and I'm saving the brass til I get 1,000pcs and I'll load it too) and 7.62x39, which I've talked about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ceesthadees] [#44]
This seems to good to be true. Anybody have any experience with these guys?

IMR4895 @ SportsmansGunshop

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Didn't see an option to use credit card. Only zelle, cash app, apple pay or Pay Pal friends and family. I'd avoid them like the plague.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Scam site, run away.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Total scam site. You can’t pay with a credit card… the easiest tell there is. They also had H4895, so you know it’s fake!
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ZA206:

Total scam site. You can’t pay with a credit card… the easiest tell there is. They also had H4895, so you know it’s fake!
View Quote

I have an 8# jug of it I never got around to using.  Just hanging out in the closet.

I made a couple big orders right before the prices ballooned.  Now I just need them to arrive.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#50]
There seems to be no physical location for a shop, warehouse or shipping facility at the address they list - nothing there at all.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top