Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Birthday pricing at midwayusa...for example...

Ramshot TAC...$36.66

Almost $10 off.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I burned up a birthday discount at Midway on some Varget.
8lbs were $365 ish IIRC.

Really hoping to see IMR4895 this year, but not going to hold my breath.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Shows $46.49 for me.
View Quote

It's for your specific birthday. Not a midway birthday. If you are signed up you get the pricing 7 days before your birthday and have 15 days to use it. Tons of items storewide
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Academy has lost its damn mind.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38579/Screenshot_2024-03-30_085337-3173425.png

View Quote

Not a big fan of buying rifle powders in the 1lb sizes for a few reasons. Cost per grain usually higher when buying the smaller bottles AND if trying to actually build stock with the smaller bottles one has to consider if the powders in the different bottles are from different lots or not (and if that matters to them).

A single 1lb bottle is good for how many rounds towards a case??? (about 3lbs +or- 'needed' min for a single 'case' of loaded 5.56 rounds)

If you only bought a single bulk box of Hornady 55gr SP's you would need how much of whatever powder to send them all down range???

https://www.armorally.com/shop/hornady-22-caliber-55gr-spire-point/
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

If you only bought a single bulk box of Hornady 55gr SP's you would need how much of whatever powder to send them all down range???

View Quote

Assuming 25gr per round of something like H335, it would be approx 21.5 lbs of powder, so (3) 8# jugs with a little spare powder left.

AorA's price is bad on that case.  Check Brownell's.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

It's for your specific birthday. Not a midway birthday. If you are signed up you get the pricing 7 days before your birthday and have 15 days to use it. Tons of items storewide
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Shows $46.49 for me.

Let's see what the prices will be in a week

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:

Assuming 25gr per round of something like H335, it would be approx 21.5 lbs of powder, so (3) 8# jugs with a little spare powder left.

View Quote

Exactly.

IF you have just one of those bulk boxes you will 'need' a good bit of powder to go with them.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

Non birthday price 46.49.

What sucks is I don't currently have any TAC loads.

I just upgraded optics on my go to and can't buy any powder and won't put it on a credit card.

Oye.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]

I just upgraded optics on my go to and can't buy any powder and won't put it on a credit card.

Oye.
View All Quotes

Oye.

Well, it's my bd in 2 weeks. Hopefully the price doesn't go up again making bd pricing more then what I paid for($40) a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

That's insane. Not too long ago those 6,000 piece cases were under $450 from AorA
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
What's really insane is that I just saw a single pound of Alliant Reloader 7 for almost $77.00 at Arm or Ally.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The Cabelas was almost completely out of powder.

The SW had lots of primers and powder. But no one is buying it. It’s sitting on the shelf. $$$
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Made a sizable purchase last year during my "birthday pricing" and am compiling a list for this July again. It is a decent discount.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]
We all know the use of nitrocellulose in current wars has caused a powder shortage and a price increase for all powders

However, if that is as legitimate as reported we should see a spike in factory ammo.

I understand current lower priced previously bought powder is being used in current ammo production but at some point the cost of ammo should spike and reloading returning to be cost effective when compared to factory loaded ammo

If the price of ammo continues to drop well, dey gots sum splaining ta do!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have come to the conclusion that 8-lb containers of Ramshot TAC are unobtanium.  1lb containers for stupid prices, all probably different lots so I have to re-work my loads every lot, no 8#.  Oh there are some websites I've never heard of that claim to have it, but they are all scam sites.

Yeah, I could get on the wait list for Midway to get some in, only to lose out because they only got in a few and the in-stock emails went to about 87000 people, and I miss it again.

I am so glad I have enough for all my needs for a while, but it would have been nice to snag another 8-16lbs or so.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Do you really work up your load every time you get a new lot? I assume that is a good practice if you're on the high end of the max load, but I would think it's not a huge deal if you are in the middle of the road.
View Quote

I typically don't load at the high end (current M193-ish load is 26.2gr TAC, max is 27.2).  But I'm using military cases so I tend to go a little lower than that.  I don't know exactly the variance between lots, but I'd be more comfortable in not just loading up a bunch w/o testing it first.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like ammo is going to start going up now... This is from the SGAmmo.com email

We have become aware of another round or price increases from the ammo factories, and the top 5 items in today's newsletter represent a handful of items that will be effected very soon. This is the 'last call' at current pricing for these 5 items. The Kinetic group (AKA Vista & the brands CCI, Speer, Federal and Remington) has announced a May 1st price increase on all handgun ammo. Winchester just went up on 9mm and is expected to follow Federal on other calibers in May. Magtech / S&B have verbally stated they will follow Federal's lead and increase in a similar percentage, and Prvi Partizan announced verbally they are doing a 6% to 7% price increase coming in June. If you care about paying prices that are 7% more, now is the time to buy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
Looks like ammo is going to start going up now... This is from the SGAmmo.com email

View Quote

I get his emails and saw that. Last time I mentioned it in GD people went nuts saying Sam was the cause of panics by making these claims.
I never saw it that way. I always saw him passing on information but hey Sam causes the panics and maybe the next war? LOL
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:

Sam was the cause of panics by making these claims.
View Quote

Sam often tries to cause these panics in my opinion. Then plays games such as his deceptive "inventory" numbers listed on his website that aren't accurate to make it look like he has lower stock than he does, pulling items from his website to try to hold them until the top of the panic, etc. I've also worked with him on the opposite side, when he was trying to buy ammo from us and I'm not a fan of the way he operates. He's about as much of the typical used car salesman as you can get.

However, he's not wrong in this case. Manufacturers have announced price increases. How that'll play out is yet to be determined. We've seen this a bunch in the past where sales have slowed and prices have quietly decreased. However, we've also seen it where prices have gone up and stayed up for quite a while. The truth of it is that there is no real ammo panic going on right now, supply already outpaces the demand, etc. Many retailers got used to the crazy sales numbers during the past few years and they are trying to grasp at straws to create any situation they can to increase sales.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#26]
We all know the use of nitrocellulose in current wars has caused a powder shortage and a price increase for all powders

However, if that is as legitimate as reported we should see a spike in factory ammo.

I understand current lower priced previously bought powder is being used in current ammo production but at some point the cost of ammo should spike and reloading returning to be cost effective when compared to factory loaded ammo

View Quote
Depends on bulk nitro pricing.reloading powder is likely the most expensive on the planet. Lead etc might be dropping faster than powder is going up.

My back of the envelope math says 50$/lb is 3.5 cents of the material cost of 9mm.

Looking at the more powder intensive cartridges like 223 that is an 18 cent cost.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#27]
I thought I had a heck of a deal lined up at Natchez on BE86 8# under $230.  It was still in my cart at a clearance sale price from the last sale and refreshing it wouldn’t make the price go up a $140 more dollars at current price.  

It did finally go up two steps before check out.  Hey I tried!  

I promptly took it out of the cart when it went up.   I did get the N140 that was out of stock on my last order.  

Now I have N140 and N160.  That will cover my rifle needs for awhile.  Way cheaper than IMR Hodgdon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
I thought I had a heck of a deal lined up at Natchez on BE86 8# under $230.  It was still in my cart at a clearance sale price from the last sale and refreshing it wouldn’t make the price go up a $140 more dollars at current price.  

It did finally go up two steps before check out.  Hey I tried!  

I promptly took it out of the cart when it went up.   I did get the N140 that was out of stock on my last order.  

Now I have N140 and N160.  That will cover my rifle needs for awhile.  Way cheaper than IMR Hodgdon.
View Quote

That did work for me on enforcer a couple months ago
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#29]

That did work for me on enforcer a couple months ago
View Quote

I am jealous!

I cannot complain,  have plenty of True Blue, Zip, Sport Pistol, Clays, Clays International, WST, a pound of BE86,  CFE Pistol, Trailboss, and 2400.  I do have options.

I did find I was out of H110 though.  Apparently I used the last up on a big batch of .30 carbine and forgot to replace it.   I thought I had a pound or two in reserve from when I stocked up on 2400.  May try the VV 110 equivalent.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
I did find I was out of H110 though.  Apparently I used the last up on a big batch of .30 carbine and forgot to replace it.   I thought I had a pound or two in reserve from when I stocked up on 2400.  May try the VV 110 equivalent.
View Quote

I keep an updated list on my laptop of all reloading components using a simple 3 column word file.
I even update it to show fractions of a pound and primers to the odd numbers
Primers, powder and projectiles all listed.
Makes it so much easier when I see something I swear I need and don't and swear I don't need and do!!
Not brass, too many 5 gallon buckets.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]

I keep an updated list on my laptop of all reloading components using a simple 3 column word file.
I even update it to show fractions of a pound and primers to the odd numbers
Primers, powder and projectiles all listed.
Makes it so much easier when I see something I swear I need and don't and swear I don't need and do!!
Not brass, too many 5 gallon buckets.
View Quote

I am consistently....inconsistent. . I have a clipboard list of components but I slack off on updating it.

I used to keep a firearm database of guns, series, scopes and values.   Lost it on a Packard Hell machine about seven years ago.....back to paper.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a table at the local gun show this last weekend. There were half a dozen guys that had a decent selection of powder and primers out. Unlike most gun shows around here the prices were the same or lower than what is in the stores. Small pistol, large pistol, and small rifle primers could be had for 7 cents. Powder was 40-50 a pound. All of the vendor said the sales were pretty slow.

At the end of the show I asked one guy what he would do on two pounds of H110. I picked them up for $70.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dairyfarmer:
I had a table at the local gun show this last weekend. There were half a dozen guys that had a decent selection of powder and primers out. Unlike most gun shows around here the prices were the same or lower than what is in the stores. Small pistol, large pistol, and small rifle primers could be had for 7 cents. Powder was 40-50 a pound. All of the vendor said the sales were pretty slow.

At the end of the show I asked one guy what he would do on two pounds of H110. I picked them up for $70.
View Quote

Right now that’s as good as it gets on H110.  Perhaps if things keep moving slow prices will inch lower.  I can hope like a child before Christmas can’t I?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#34]
Birthday pricing at midwayusa...for example...

Ramshot TAC...$36.66

Almost $10 off.
View Quote

Got mine

Plus some 165 gr speer btsp which I like as a gp bullet for $21/100
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Happy to report that as of yesterday, powder prices have not gone up locally, was in the LGS, everything's still avg. 40-50 bucks/pound, where itxs been for several months now.

Glad I ran away with most of their H335 a while back, they're all out.

But yeah, no spike yet.  Yet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Ammo prices will be going up in my mind.

Envision a scenario where loaded ammunition (Say 5.56) is now being pulled down in order to take that powder and put it into higher ASP products.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By oper28:
I’ve been through it a lot. Clinton, Obama and all the other scares to make components go up. Inflation has something to do with it. Some people say I’m crazy but it’s everyone against us. They are going to price it way out of range just to get our guns one way or another. Yes all the wars put a strain on it. But the powder factory in LA catching fire? All the food plants catching fire? Vista being bought by a Czechoslovak company? The Chinese buying farmland and property surrounding a military base? Chinese spy ballon crossing the country? That’s just some of the stuff people don’t know. Red Dawn, terminator and I Robot in 20 years. Am I crazy???
View Quote

Nope. You're not one bit crazy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread makes me happy for all the powder I bought in the last 1.5 years and yet still feeling like I should get some more....
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
This thread makes me happy for all the powder I bought in the last 1.5 years and yet still feeling like I should get some more....
View Quote

Yeah I am pretty much buying whenever the price is right, regardless of whether it is one of my favorites or not, especially rifle powder where I use a lot more.  The vast majority will get used up on short range stuff anyhow- Burned up about 250 rds this week, the majority of it was done at ranges varying from 25yd-5yd, moving while shooting, quarter turns and 180 degree turns, multiple targets, etc- basically CQB stuff.  Don’t need super precise ammo for that kind of training, so any cheap powder that will cycle the gun fine will work fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Ammo prices have been creeping back up for a couple of months now, not sure how some of y’all have missed this. On ammoseek cheap .223 is just under $.40/rd. Brass cased magtech/fiocchi range dynamics/winchester 9mm is $13-$14/50 at buds gun shop, which is where I buy most of my factory ammo because their shipping cost is reasonable and they’re close to me so it only takes 2 days to get to me

I’m pretty pissed at the pre 2019version of myself for being naive enough to think this would be going on just a couple of years later
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Wonder if the powder and ammo increase is partly because presidential elections is coming up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dairyfarmer:

View Quote

I doubt highly any vendor is selling WIN/REM/FED/CCI primers for 7cents each.  Whsle is nearly that.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#45]
9MM is really at very low prices right now especially run of the mill 115 & 124gr ammo
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Lets try to distance ourselves from politics please.
View Quote

What a silly thing to say

Let’s all pretend that politics does not affect ammo prices. Great idea!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Not silly at all, this thread is about price and availability, not the REASONS for those figures.  That belongs in GD, not Tech Forums.

As of today, local Sportsmans Wharehouse does have various common powders, hovering around 47.99/lb., LGS near me 49.99/lb.

So, encouraging in that it IS still available, and not price spiking like we all thought it might.  Yet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Not silly at all, this thread is about price and availability, not the REASONS for those figures.  That belongs in GD, not Tech Forums.

As of today, local Sportsmans Wharehouse does have various common powders, hovering around 47.99/lb., LGS near me 49.99/lb.

So, encouraging in that it IS still available, and not price spiking like we all thought it might.  Yet.
View Quote
My local shop has a fair amount of powder for $40+/-  a few bucks. 8# of H335 is $305 there, TAC was $40/#.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ebolinux] [#50]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Not saying that.

What I am saying is political posts are off topic in this forum.

Remember this is not GD.

View Quote

To late. Speculation for what may be causing the price increase have already been made & discussed in this thread since page one.
And all thoes post where related to politics. The only difference is I used the forbidden word “politics” Hahaha

Maybe I should have said.

I wonder if the upcoming event in 200 days is contributing to the increase in ammo and powder prices. As the prices appear to be increasing right before it.

The local sportsman’s has lots of powder and primers but it does not seem to be moving.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top