Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2010 8:19:41 AM EDT
In terms of calibration which would roughly be the best option for use with 69gn bullets fired from a 20" inch 1 in 9 twist barrel? They run at about 2700 FPS. Also looking at magnifiers with around 3x power; are there specific brands to opt for? I suppose Eotech make a proprietary model which is best? The rifle has one of the mounting bases fitted which raises the optics sit at by about 1/2" inch or so.

The products are fairly unpopular here, alongside the ACOG, so I wouldn't know much about them.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a 553 with the ARMS mount built in...it works good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an XPS because it's shorter.  I originally had a 512 but it interferred a bit with the charging handle.

This is with the Eotech 512.

This is with the XPS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for the XPS. I have the 2-2 on mine.  With the reloads I use, 1/2 inch low at 25 meters gives me just over 500 meters on the second dot.  I REALLY doubt I will ever shoot that far with it, but hey, its there  hehehehe
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely the XPS.  I have been looking at them for a little while and really like their features when comparing them to the older versions. Was getting ready to buy one until my wife found out what I was going to do.  Daycare, food, mortgage payment, gas, daycare, etc... Where are her priorities?

All they need to do is figure out how to extend the battery life.  Lasers do take up more battery life though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the 517 for the side control buttons (not blocked by rear BUIS) & AA batteries (all my other gear; taclight, GPS, radios, etc use AA batteries).
I'm not interested in magnification as I view the STG as a CQB platform (YMMV).
Tomac

STG-556 w/E4 optic rail, Eotech 517, Magpul MBUS, Raptor charging handle, Neu-Trigger, 9" accessory rail w/Fenix TK20 taclight in an Elzetta ZORM mount, FSG Halon flash suppressor, 42rd mag & 70" 'silent' sling:
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the PP rail and the XPS.  Plenty of clearance and no knuckle rubs yet.  I did put ladder rails on all the rails just in case.

Link Posted: 12/27/2010 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a 511 on mine when I first bought it in an attempt to avoid raking my fingers with the charging handle.  I've since added the Raptor charging handle so it is not an issue anymore but I still have the 511.  To me it just "looks" right.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 517 and there is no way you can manipulate the charging handle in it's stock form without hitting the big ass screw on the left side.  The XPS all the way back as some have shown would be the only EoTech that would work.  You also want to be able to manually manipulate the charging handle if you want to lock it open or release it and your hand will hit the Eotech scope body it is too long on all the normal models (500 series).

The best option I have run and found is the Micro Aimpoint on a riser mount.  I have it currently on a Yankee Hill and there is zero interferance and super light weight.  The Micro is very hard to beat for price (H1 is $400) and battery life-5 years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies. They don't sound ideal to be honest; I have to re-cock the rifle after each shot which is already a bit awkward with the compact cocking handle. Steyr didn't put much into product design with these, they just built minus gas-parts. They would sell far better with an extended cocking handle and provisions for a bipod.

If I could get a lower rail, I could probably fit the SUSAT to it which would be better.
The MSAR and A3 rails might fit, I need to measure and check. This would be equivalent to the (USR?) in fitments.

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Sad state of affairs in England

Personally I am surprised Steyr even sells it like that.

Maybe one day you can come out to Houston TX and I will take you to the range with a AUG A3 and you can blast away my friend
I can take all the other toys too, good luck over there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. They don't sound ideal to be honest; I have to re-cock the rifle after each shot which is already a bit awkward with the compact cocking handle. Steyr didn't put much into product design with these, they just built minus gas-parts. They would sell far better with an extended cocking handle and provisions for a bipod.

If I could get a lower rail, I could probably fit the SUSAT to it which would be better.
The MSAR and A3 rails might fit, I need to measure and check. This would be equivalent to the (USR?) in fitments.

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm329/KoriumLG/Steyr-1.png

In that case you should seriously consider the Raptor charging handle: http://www.manticorearms.com/Raptor-Charging-Handle-MA-100BK.htm , I have it on all my STG's.
You won't snag your fingers on the optic/mount of your choice (including any and all Eotechs) and you'll find it much easier to re-cock the rifle between shots.
HTH, keep us posted!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sad state of affairs in England

Personally I am surprised Steyr even sells it like that.

Maybe one day you can come out to Houston TX and I will take you to the range with a AUG A3 and you can blast away my friend
I can take all the other toys too, good luck over there.

It is indeed. Not so long ago it had less restrictions than the U.S, or at least things were easier to acquire. The only firearms not OK were fully automatics, but burst-fire rifles and pistols were OK with the Beretta 93R being particularly popular. That lasted until the late 80's, then handguns were near enough banned in the late 90's; they would ban more now, but the latest massacre involved a .22LR CZ bolt-action and a 12g O/U, so it just doesn't have the same nasty killing machine media marketability.

We are lucky Steyr does. The big, big problem is you cannot simply take a self loading rifle, block or remove the gas-system and sell it. They must have seen the possibility for this and legislated accordingly. If they are built as straight-pull they are legal. The market is very niche, so very little other than ARs are regularly available, although we have licensed built MP5s and other such things which are incredibly rare and expensive.

Hehe, thanks. I still have U.S citizenship, so one day I will come back.

Quoted:

In that case you should seriously consider the Raptor charging handle: http://www.manticorearms.com/Raptor-Charging-Handle-MA-100BK.htm , I have it on all my STG's.
You won't snag your fingers on the optic/mount of your choice (including any and all Eotechs) and you'll find it much easier to re-cock the rifle between shots.
HTH, keep us posted!...
Tomac

I will have to find someone that will do international shipping on one. Not sure I could actually fit one though; these AUGs do not have a quick change barrel which I believe needs removing to get the cocking handle out?

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Does your AUG have a barrel release like the USRs?

What I mean is that where the release button normally is, instead the "button" part is missing, but the mechanism is still there and you have to use something like a small screwdriver to move the latch and release the barrel.

Also, if you have the A2, USR type rail, the mounting system is different than the MSARs. I'm not sure how the A3 rail is mounted.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What I mean is that where the release button normally is, instead the "button" part is missing, but the mechanism is still there and you have to use something like a small screwdriver to move the latch and release the barrel.

Also, if you have the A2, USR type rail, the mounting system is different than the MSARs. I'm not sure how the A3 rail is mounted.

Never seen a USR up close, I wouldn't know. I know these can be modified to QD the barrel quite easily, but in general I am not sure if they come off without modification. Where the mechanism is, all I can see is a recessed bar which the button would normally be fitted to.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will have to find someone that will do international shipping on one. Not sure I could actually fit one though; these AUGs do not have a quick change barrel which I believe needs removing to get the cocking handle out?

Heck, it's not a restricted item, I'd be happy to pick one up and ship it out to you for actual cost plus shipping. I don't know about the AUG but on the STG there's one roll pin to tap out to change charging handles then tap the pin back in and you're done! No need whatsoever to mess w/the bbl.
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heck, it's not a restricted item, I'd be happy to pick one up and ship it out to you for actual cost plus shipping. I don't know about the AUG but on the STG there's one roll pin to tap out to change charging handles then tap the pin back in and you're done! No need whatsoever to mess w/the bbl.
Tomac

Thanks for the offer. Most things have to be imported, and if you can buy them here they often cost 2X+ the U.S price, particularly optics. It is the exchange rate more than anything.

I have a few things to alter on the Mini 14 before the Steyr, but I will photo all the components and work out what can fit.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never seen a USR up close, I wouldn't know. I know these can be modified to QD the barrel quite easily, but in general I am not sure if they come off without modification. Where the mechanism is, all I can see is a recessed bar which the button would normally be fitted to.

That "recessed bar" is the barrel latch. Pushing it to the other end of the slot it's in will release the barrel.

If you don't want to scratch anything, use something plastic to do it. The paint on those guns is pretty fragile in my experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top