Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems some people are receiving them now. We should have more information in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:39:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Box4:
I haven’t seen anything on these.  No YouTubers or paid shills, not even buyers posting about the new Desert Tech anywhere on gun forums.   Doesn’t instill confidence.

Here we go again?
View Quote

I have one..Just waiting for approval to take it home.

From what I gather,playing with it at the gunstore.

In 223,it is 7.4lbs.

Safety selector feels the same..

The trigger is better than the Mdr and Mdrx..but don't know the pull weight till I get it home.

I have several match ammo brands ready for a range trip this friday.

I'll put a video out shortly after than unless you want a video sooner and range stuff when I can.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven’t seen anything on these.  No YouTubers or paid shills, not even buyers posting about the new Desert Tech anywhere on gun forums.   Doesn’t instill confidence.

Here we go again?
View Quote

It's Desert Tech.  I imagine their production rate is like... 2 a day.   I wouldn't read too much into lack of info just yet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Whoever gets a WLVRN first. Take pics of the inside receivers for us. I’d like to find out if it’s riding steel on steel or if the BCG now is riding on aluminum on steel …
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Whoever gets a WLVRN first. Take pics of the inside receivers for us. I’d like to find out if it’s riding steel on steel or if the BCG now is riding on aluminum on steel …
View Quote

ON my list.. anything else?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is my biggest concern outside of that I think the WLVRN is what the MDR should have been initially … can’t wait for your write up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at that it's just now occurring to me that as a left handed shooter, buying a bull pup would be problematic as the brass would be ejecting into my face.

I don't actually own any "left handed" guns, but I'm left eyed, so I usually shoulder on the left.  Not a big deal with standard rifles, and I always wanted a bull pup, but now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MkTwain:
Looking at that it's just now occurring to me that as a left handed shooter, buying a bull pup would be problematic as the brass would be ejecting into my face.

I don't actually own any "left handed" guns, but I'm left eyed, so I usually shoulder on the left.  Not a big deal with standard rifles, and I always wanted a bull pup, but now I'm not so sure.
View Quote

There are other "ambi" bullpups or bullpups like the wlvrn that can be made to eject from the left side.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#9]

There are other "ambi" bullpups or bullpups like the wlvrn that can be made to eject from the left side.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MkTwain:

And the RDB is ready when you are.  It also happens to be the favorite amongst at least some of the more bullpup centric shooters out there.  It's my favorite at least - if you want 5.56, take the RDB seriously.  If a lefty, it's basically The One.

For .308/6.5CM - this new MDRy has my interest, but I haven't ordered one yet - Im watching.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

And the RDB is ready when you are.  It also happens to be the favorite amongst at least some of the more bullpup centric shooters out there.  It's my favorite at least - if you want 5.56, take the RDB seriously.  If a lefty, it's basically The One.

For .308/6.5CM - this new MDRy has my interest, but I haven't ordered one yet - Im watching.
View Quote

100% second vote for the Rdb.

I also call it the Mdr3 lol
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you measure trigger weight and also show take up and reset?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]

She's a beauty.  I'll find out this weekend just how she shoots.  

The takeup on the trigger is minimal.  The average  trigger pull is about 6 - 6.5 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ironman58:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294054/Wolverine_2-3177237.jpg

The takeup on the trigger is minimal.  The average  trigger pull is about 6 - 6.5 pounds.
View Quote

I'm guessing yours is 5.56?

Do magazines drop free? How is the magazine release?

Looking forward to your write up!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Also curious how gassy it is, suppressed and not suppressed.

Some Tavors seem very gassy even without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
it is indeed 5.56.

There are two different magazine releases.  One is just forward - above the trigger.  The other is on the front of the magwell.  Both release the magazines just fine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ironman58:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294054/Wolverine_2-3177237.jpg

View Quote

I should have mine out of jail soon. I'll shoot for groups Friday if it becomes availible.

What ammo will you be trying..Maybe I can mirror some of your testing just without the attached supressor (which does shrink groups in the previous guns)
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#17]
This guy has a .308 Wlvrn and claims he's "not getting great groups," but admits he's inexperienced.

I'm guessing he's just got bad technique and not taking his time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DesertTech/comments/1b7k5t5/wlvrns_here_and_shes_pretty/
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:
This guy has a .308 Wlvrn and claims he's "not getting great groups," but admits he's inexperienced.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DesertTech/comments/1b7k5t5/wlvrns_here_and_shes_pretty/
View Quote

There's another on the Facebook Mdrx page who has one as well..He attempted an accuracy test but ended up in 22mph+ wind gusts. He plans to go out again on a nicer day with preferably no wind.

Igman 308 "sniper" 168 grain gave him FTEs and ripped rims so it may be loaded hot or not quite on the right setting from the factory.

FGMM, PPU, hornady, and malaysia m80 fed and functioned fine. Per his post

Desert Tech will also be posting their accuracy results sometime next week and may also have a Q&A on the Mdrx's future..and hopefully what parts are compatible as a update from the Wlvrn.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]

There's another on the Facebook Mdrx page who has one as well..He attempted an accuracy test but ended up in 22mph+ wind gusts. He plans to go out again on a nicer day with preferably no wind.

Igman 308 "sniper" 168 grain gave him FTEs and ripped rims so it may be loaded hot or not quite on the right setting from the factory.

Desert Tech will also be posting their accuracy results sometime next week and may also have a Q&A on the Mdrx's future..and hopefully what parts are compatible as a update from the Wlvrn.
View All Quotes

Case rims being ripped off already in the Wlvrn? A combat rifle should be able to eat anything.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#20]

Case rims being ripped off already in the Wlvrn? A combat rifle should be able to eat anything.
View All Quotes

*SIGH*  That alone doesn't bug me so much, since gas adjustment will correct that.  What bugs me is they still put the gas system at the same insanely close high pressure spot on the barrel that they know damned well is way to close and too high pressure.  I'm watching this one to see if the improvements materially improve accuracy, because it'll be on the table for me for sure if I can get a 1.5 MOA gun in 6.5 CM firing full-house pressure loads with heavy bullets.  So far, i'm still waiting for that to be demonstrated.  If it is, I'm not too worried about overgassing, as that can be adjusted, I guess.

Though, the more I look at MDRy, the more I think they just sort of mailed it in.  There pulled a whole lot from the MDRx over on this one.  They did get rid of the removable barrel system, which hopefully makes things rigid enough to improve accuracy - I think it will.  Though I think the gas system is still going to work against them, being that close and high pressure.   I think they even kept the goofy barrel profile, which just looks really thin and bendy right there before the gas block.   At least they got rid of the dumb 1point pic-rail block on top of the gas block, that didn't work at all, as I could physically move that part of the rail block with my hand on the barrel on an MDRx.  I guess we'll see!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#21]

*SIGH*  That alone doesn't bug me so much, since gas adjustment will correct that.  What bugs me is they still put the gas system at the same insanely close high pressure spot on the barrel that they know damned well is way to close and too high pressure.  I'm watching this one to see if the improvements materially improve accuracy, because it'll be on the table for me for sure if I can get a 1.5 MOA gun in 6.5 CM firing full-house pressure loads with heavy bullets.  So far, i'm still waiting for that to be demonstrated.  If it is, I'm not too worried about overgassing, as that can be adjusted, I guess.

Though, the more I look at MDRy, the more I think they just sort of mailed it in.  There pulled a whole lot from the MDRx over on this one.  They did get rid of the removable barrel system, which hopefully makes things rigid enough to improve accuracy - I think it will.  Though I think the gas system is still going to work against them, being that close and high pressure.   I think they even kept the goofy barrel profile, which just looks really thin and bendy right there before the gas block.   At least they got rid of the dumb 1point pic-rail block on top of the gas block, that didn't work at all, as I could physically move that part of the rail block with my hand on the barrel on an MDRx.  I guess we'll see!
View All Quotes

Do you think Desert Tech is using the Wlvrn as just another cash grab because they know the MDR now has a spotty reputation with the shooting community?

By rebranding the Wlvrn as a different rifle, they can extend consumer purchasing even longer than if they just came out with the MDRxxx whatever?

I sincerely hope this is not the case, but it is a concern that I have.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:42:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#22]

Do you think Desert Tech is using the Wlvrn as just another cash grab because they know the MDR now has a spotty reputation with the shooting community?

By rebranding the Wlvrn as a different rifle, they can extend consumer purchasing even longer than if they just came out with the MDRxxx whatever?

View All Quotes

I don't think they are all that conniving.  I just think they're just a small-time outfit that didn't do a good job at the start with the original MDR, and have done band-aids since then, rather than being willing to scrap jigs and equipment and actually start over and actually do it right.  Gas system is tapping too close to the chamber (I think).  Getting it lighter is good, but at the expense of forward eject / ambi - which were one of it's biggest differentiators.   On the plus side for them, They continue to be the only 6.5mm bullpup game in town which is why I still give them so much interest.  

[Edit, too much grouchy monologing]

I'm still watching - if the reports start coming back good, and the accuracy is there - I'm intersted.  ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#23]
As an engineer, how would you fix the gas system?  Where would you put it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#24]
As an engineer, how would you fix the gas system?  Where would you put it?
View Quote

I'd use AR tap distances, or at least mid-length distance for the tap.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

This is especially true when shooting 6.5/308 … the gas block location sucks … with the omitted 1913 rail tower on the gas block I figured DT would move up the gas length for better shoot ability and less violence …
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I agree with what has been said about the gas system.  It’s a remnant of the older design where the extra gas was needed to operate the forward eject mechanism.

Now that the forward eject is gone, there is no excuse for them not to have moved the gas system.  Maybe the next version will fix it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree with what has been said about the gas system.  It’s a remnant of the older design where the extra gas was needed to operate the forward eject mechanism.

Now that the forward eject is gone, there is no excuse for them not to have moved the gas system.  Maybe the next version will fix it.
View Quote

The next version lol.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:45:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#28]

This is especially true when shooting 6.5/308 … the gas block location sucks … with the omitted 1913 rail tower on the gas block I figured DT would move up the gas length for better shoot ability and less violence …
View All Quotes

Intersting - that's why they put the gas system there? was enough energy to compress the spring enough to work the forward eject?  The BCG and the spring aren't that heavy, in fact I viewas milder (and more pleasant) than an AR10.  I talk a lot of shit, but the MDR series is a remarkably pleasant .308 class gun to shoot - it's actually a real sweetheart, and doesn't have the disruptive multi-jerk in mult-directions recoil of th AR10 with that huge assed BCG slamming back and forth.  But, I can't imagine they don't have enough energy capture capability a few more inches down, to still run though.  But I've never really thought it about it - and it sounds like maybe you have?  Interesting take.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#29]
Alrighty! Got my 223 Wlvrn!

Weight of the rifle on my scale is 7lbs 7oz (7.43lbs) ..which would make the 308 7lbs 5oz (7.34lbs)..
So..The DT website for the Wlvrn is accurate for the gun weights...The Manual..Not so much.

Trigger ..Yup improvement in terms of take up and reset. Shorter.

**I was able to side by side the triggers in the Mdr, Tavor7,Rfb and Rdb..Tavor 7 was at the gun store...

Wlvrn trigger is better than the Tavor 7..but only by a little bit...

Rdb trigger is still my fav**

As far as an Ar trigger..I uh..have timneys in both..Not sure that's a fair comparison

My trigger gauge says 5.5 to 6lbs with 5 pulls.
New Mag button..
Larger Mag release ...Tho..My 223 MDR (after coming back from DT this year) is a bit lighter to push and release.
BCG in the Wlvrn weighs slightly more than the MDR. (1ish oz)..

Front of the Op rods..Left is the Wlvrn..

Bolt Faces..Left is Wlvrn

BCGs ...Top is the Wlvrn

BCG Bottom. Top is Wlvrn

Wlvrn Bolt Rails. (Rear)

Wlvrn and MDR Uppers

Wlvrn Mag release bar.

Wlvrn Gas Block

Wlvrn Bcg weight

Mdr Bcg Weight

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Intersting - that's why they put the gas system there? was enough energy to compress the spring enough to work the forward eject?  The BCG and the spring aren't that heavy, in fact I viewas milder (and more pleasant) than an AR10.  I talk a lot of shit, but the MDR series is a remarkably pleasant .308 class gun to shoot - it's actually a real sweetheart, and doesn't have the disruptive multi-jerk in mult-directions recoil of th AR10 with that huge assed BCG slamming back and forth.  But, I can't imagine they don't have enough energy capture capability a few more inches down, to still run though.  But I've never really thought it about it - and it sounds like maybe you have?  Interesting take.
View Quote

The gas block location was picked due to the multi-caliber nature of the MDR ... all the calibers released share the same location including 300BO ... to DTs credit they have figured it out somewhat there but ... each caliber should have had its own optimized location vs a one and done ... the 1913 tower was really like hey ... we can add a tiny pic rail to use as a RDS location so that the zero stays but in practice that was just a stupid move ... no one ever used it ... in a serious capacity.

With the forward eject deleted and the pic rail on the gas block gone ... its time to address the gas port location and do it right with the WLRVN ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#31]

Weight of the rifle on my scale is 7lbs 9oz (7.56lbs) ..which would make the 308 7lbs 7oz (7.43lbs)
https://i.imgur.com/f4z0UkA.jpeg

New Mag button..
Larger Mag release ...Tho..My 223 MDR (after coming back from DT this year) is a bit lighter to push and release.

https://i.imgur.com/kj7LcGQ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/4N8G70P.jpeg

BCGs ...Top is the Wlvrn
https://i.imgur.com/MWQZBLg.jpeg

BCG Bottom. Top is Wlvrn
https://i.imgur.com/ga0yI9S.jpeg

Wlvrn Bolt Rails. (Rear)
https://i.imgur.com/a95x2RA.jpeg

Wlvrn and MDR Uppers
https://i.imgur.com/JH58GAQ.jpeg

Wlvrn Mag release bar.
https://i.imgur.com/1gkmG1p.jpeg

Wlvrn Gas Block
https://i.imgur.com/DZ7oeRO.jpeg

Wlvrn Bcg weight
https://i.imgur.com/XDCZ9iP.jpeg

Mdr Bcg Weight
https://i.imgur.com/ldBIVgX.jpeg
View Quote

Thanks for that ... so it looks like the BCG is riding on aluminum ... I do not recall the MDR or WLRVN receivers being made from a forging nor 7000 series aluminum so this worries me a bit for long term use ... I know the AR BCG rides on aluminum too but its a different animal ... I believe DT uses 6000 series billets ... could be wrong ... but I believe that is what they are using ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Also what's up with the naming of the Wolverine and the Sabertooth?

Anyone else here an Xmen fan?  I can't be the only one to have noticed that.

Clearly someone in Desert Tech reads too many comic books. lol

Isn't this like a copywrite issue or something?
View Quote
Don't look at me. I interviewed for the Creative Director position and they chose someone else. I also would have caught the atrocious "WLVRN's".

Also, that's "Well, Vern," not "Wolverine."
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks for that ... so it looks like the BCG is riding on aluminum ... I do not recall the MDR or WLRVN receivers being made from a forging nor 7000 series aluminum so this worries me a bit for long term use ... I know the AR BCG rides on aluminum too but its a different animal ... I believe DT uses 6000 series billets ... could be wrong ... but I believe that is what they are using ...
View Quote

The Tavor series rifles the bolt rides directly on the aluminum, never had an issue with mine, so it might be fine. Wasn't a thing I was terribly concerned about when I ordered my wlvrn.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'm of the same opinion as you on the gas port location, now they got rid of the tactical waffle iron, no reason they can't move the port forward more. I do have a 308 Wlvrn on order, so if the accuracy isn't great, I may see if they offer the barrel kits again, and turn my own barrel and make a new gas piston and support (kinda like an ACR) to see if that help.

Another thought was reading about M1 carbine experiments, adding expansion chambers to reduce the gas impulse. The MDRX accuracy report talked about a modified barrel like this and helping. From what I saw, the gas piston on the MDRX could be hollowed out a little to increase the volume, Who knows how much it would help, but be interesting to try.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Weight of the rifle on my scale is 7lbs 9oz (7.56lbs) ..which would make the 308 7lbs 7oz (7.43lbs)
https://i.imgur.com/f4z0UkA.jpeg

New Mag button..

https://i.imgur.com/kj7LcGQ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/4N8G70P.jpeg

BCGs ...Top is the Wlvrn
https://i.imgur.com/MWQZBLg.jpeg

BCG Bottom. Top is Wlvrn
https://i.imgur.com/ga0yI9S.jpeg

Wlvrn Bolt Rails. (Rear)
https://i.imgur.com/a95x2RA.jpeg

Wlvrn and MDR Uppers
https://i.imgur.com/JH58GAQ.jpeg

Wlvrn Mag release bar.
https://i.imgur.com/1gkmG1p.jpeg

Wlvrn Gas Block
https://i.imgur.com/DZ7oeRO.jpeg

Wlvrn Bcg weight
https://i.imgur.com/XDCZ9iP.jpeg

Mdr Bcg Weight
https://i.imgur.com/ldBIVgX.jpeg
View Quote

Nice!

Does barrel have that sharp taper behind the gas block I've seen on DT website images?

Also if its not too much trouble, i'm curious what the gas piston looks like (see above about modifying it to increase volume)
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tavorsterling:

Nice!

Does barrel have that sharp taper behind the gas block I've seen on DT website images?

Also if its not too much trouble, i'm curious what the gas piston looks like (see above about modifying it to increase volume)
View Quote

I'll get that in here sometime tonight
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#37]

The Tavor series rifles the bolt rides directly on the aluminum, never had an issue with mine, so it might be fine. Wasn't a thing I was terribly concerned about when I ordered my wlvrn.
View All Quotes

Those are 7075 forged chassis .... in the Tavor ... DT uses I believe 6000 series billet receivers ... hence why the steel inserts were placed with the MDR and really any other 6000 series aluminum received rifles like the SCAR for example ... nothing wrong with 6000 series aluminum as long as you got some steel in there for the BCG to ride on ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I think it is 6061, 7000 series is tough to annodize and usually leads to a high defect rate.

The MDR receiver is extruded aluminum and machined to final. They put up a video awhile ago.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

I think it is 6061, 7000 series is tough to annodize and usually leads to a high defect rate.

The MDR receiver is extruded aluminum and machined to final. They put up a video awhile ago.
View All Quotes

Yup ... and as such ... makes me a little sceptical about the WLVRN's longevity ... personally
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I dunno if the Tavors are forged, the receivers I have seen are made by Creed Monarch, and I don't see forging capabilities listed on their website. I would guess more likely extruded then machined, but I'm not privy to how they are made.

Far as 6000 vs 7000 series, yes the 7000 would be better, but ultimately wouldn't we be more worried about the durability of the anodizing that would resist the wear than the yield strength of the base aluminum?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#41]

I'm of the same opinion as you on the gas port location, now they got rid of the tactical waffle iron, no reason they can't move the port forward more. I do have a 308 Wlvrn on order, so if the accuracy isn't great, I may see if they offer the barrel kits again, and turn my own barrel and make a new gas piston and support (kinda like an ACR) to see if that help.

Another thought was reading about M1 carbine experiments, adding expansion chambers to reduce the gas impulse. The MDRX accuracy report talked about a modified barrel like this and helping. From what I saw, the gas piston on the MDRX could be hollowed out a little to increase the volume, Who knows how much it would help, but be interesting to try.
View Quote

There are a couple of other ways to improve the dwell time in the MDRx.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6471358

You can increase the size of the gas plug expansion chamber.  You could also direct the gas stream forward, forcing the gas stream to change direction.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#42]
I dunno if the Tavors are forged, the receivers I have seen are made by Creed Monarch, and I don't see forging capabilities listed on their website. I would guess more likely extruded then machined, but I'm not privy to how they are made.

Far as 6000 vs 7000 series, yes the 7000 would be better, but ultimately wouldn't we be more worried about the durability of the anodizing that would resist the wear than the yield strength of the base aluminum?
View Quote

Wear resistance is a combination of a lot of factors.  Coating is one of them as is the base material.

https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=b8d536e0b9b54bd7b69e4124d8f1d20a&ckck=1

https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=4f19a42be94546b686bbf43f79c51b7d

7075 T6 (A common flavor of 7000) is 1.75x as hard as 6061 T6 (A common flavor of 6000).  (See Hardness values).

7075 T6 is also 2x stronger in yield strength as well before the material fails.

And this is base material, before Forging or Casting apply their own strength factors onto them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#43]

There are a couple of other ways to improve the dwell time in the MDRx.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6471358

You can increase the size of the gas plug expansion chamber.  You could also direct the gas stream forward, forcing the gas stream to change direction.
View Quote

Definitely, I don't have a MDR and have yet to receive the Wlvrn, so just going off what I can see online about the sizes of stuff. Another thought was to machine a gas plug, but extend the front to act as expansion port. Might not be able to adjust with the windows on the handguard at that point though.  

Though really if the Wlvrn in 308 with match ammo groups 1-ish moa I probably won't be mess with it unless I get bored and finish my other gun projects
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Wear resistance is a combination of a lot of factors.  Coating is one of them as is the base material.

https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=b8d536e0b9b54bd7b69e4124d8f1d20a&ckck=1

https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=4f19a42be94546b686bbf43f79c51b7d

7075 T6 (A common flavor of 7000) is 1.75x as hard as 6061 T6 (A common flavor of 6000).  (See Hardness values).

7075 T6 is also 2x stronger in yield strength as well before the material fails.

And this is base material, before Forging or Casting apply their own strength factors onto them.
View Quote

Links don't seem to be working for me, but, I'm well aware of the strength differences of the materials, but I would imagine the anodized layer of both would have similar hardness. The base material strength would only apply if the bcg was trying to deform the rails, thus the anodized layer would crack and fail with the lower strength 6000 series. Not saying it won't happen on the Wlvrn, but the aluminum rails was not an area I have a lot of concern with on this gun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#45]

Links don't seem to be working for me, but, I'm well aware of the strength differences of the materials, but I would imagine the anodized layer of both would have similar hardness. The base material strength would only apply if the bcg was trying to deform the rails, thus the anodized layer would crack and fail with the lower strength 6000 series. Not saying it won't happen on the Wlvrn, but the aluminum rails was not an area I have a lot of concern with on this gun.
View Quote

Ah, they were links to material properties in matweb.  It works pretty well.

Anodizing isn't applied like a paint, it doesn't sit on top of Aluminum.  It physically modifies the base material to be something else via the anodizing reaction.  The annodizing, on top of the type of anodize used (which is different for each material and category used), inherits material properties from the material that it is anodized from.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Ah, they were links to material properties in matweb.  It works pretty well.

Anodizing isn't applied like a paint, it doesn't sit on top of Aluminum.  It physically modifies the base material to be something else via the anodizing reaction.  The annodizing, on top of the type of anodize used (which is different for each material and category used), inherits material properties from the material that it is anodized from.
View Quote

Gotcha. I've used that site before, so not sure why it wasn't working.

I'm aware of what anodizing is and how it's applied, but the point was trying to make, is I doubt 6061 anodizing would wear out significantly faster than 7075 anodized as long as the aluminum isn't loaded beyond its yield strength. Maybe if the anodizing is compromised, then I would see the 7075 lasting longer.

I do think 7075 would be a better choice without a doubt, but I think 6061 is going to be ok. Of course we will find out soon enough as Wlvrns go out into the wild.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Gotcha. I've used that site before, so not sure why it wasn't working.

I'm aware of what anodizing is and how it's applied, but the point was trying to make, is I doubt 6061 anodizing would wear out significantly faster than 7075 anodized as long as the aluminum isn't loaded beyond its yield strength. Maybe if the anodizing is compromised, then I would see the 7075 lasting longer.

I do think 7075 would be a better choice without a doubt, but I think 6061 is going to be ok. Of course we will find out soon enough as Wlvrns go out into the wild.
View Quote

I suspect the concern about wear is more academic than anything else.  AR uppers have been made from both for a long time.  If there is going to be any reduce accuracy or performance it will probably be at 50K+ rounds fired, which realistically isn't something that most people are going to get to anytime soon especially with a boutique gun like most DT products.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#48]

I suspect the concern about wear is more academic than anything else.  AR uppers have been made from both for a long time.  If there is going to be any reduce accuracy or performance it will probably be at 50K+ rounds fired, which realistically isn't something that most people are going to get to anytime soon especially with a boutique gun like most DT products.
View Quote

Agreed. Considering the cost of 308, I don't think I'll pass 50k thru it before I die of old age. My x95 I'm about 8k thru it, and ive had that for about 8 years and lots of cheap steel.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
For a company who makes sub-MOA bolt bullpups, I wonder why they’re having such difficulty with making sub-MOA semi auto bullpups? Would be nice if this one is sub-MOA capable.

I’d love a sub-MOA capable compact semi auto .308.

DT has their SRS-A2 Covert. Nearly the size of a Tavor. 16” barrel sub-MOA capable .308.

But no one that I’m aware of, has any sub-MOA semi auto bullpups. My SAR is about 1.25 - 1.5 MOA with FGMM (bag, 4.5-27x Razor).

The T7 seems to be in that ballpark, too.

A compact semi auto .308 that could fit both battle rifle and DMR roles, would be an awesome option.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
For a company who makes sub-MOA bolt bullpups, I wonder why they’re having such difficulty with making sub-MOA semi auto bullpups? Would be nice if this one is sub-MOA capable.

I’d love a sub-MOA capable compact semi auto .308.

DT has their SRS-A2 Covert. Nearly the size of a Tavor. 16” barrel sub-MOA capable .308.

But no one that I’m aware of, has any sub-MOA semi auto bullpups. My SAR is about 1.25 - 1.5 MOA with FGMM (bag, 4.5-27x Razor).

The T7 seems to be in that ballpark, too.

A compact semi auto .308 that could fit both battle rifle and DMR roles, would be an awesome option.
View Quote

Yeah, I would take it deer hunting.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top