BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

We know the corners are a design change.

If the material of the stock (including the recycled material) changed, that is a design change.
Changing of the colorant is a design change.  (Color in Polymers does have structural impacts especially when dealing with sunlight).  
If they changed the manufacturing process steps by changing temp or form release, that is also a design change.  It would be called out in the stock drawing as Assemble with Process ABC1 to Process ABC2.

If they didn't document the process well at one supplier (and that supplier did extra steps) and they took production to a different supplier who followed the same steps but didn't do the extra undocumented ones that is also a design defect and would require a drawing change.

We don't know if they changed just the supplier, the tooling, or the material.  Because Steyr still hasn't publicly acknowledged their screw up or provided their root cause and corrective course of action.  Replacing damaged stocks under warranty is not a Corrective Action to keep it from happening again.

From the perspective of an Engineer, the Process used to make something is part of the design and needs to be controlled by Engineering so it is repeatable.

If they had a process to make thing X and the person building the thing didn't follow the process that is QA.  If it is tested and fails QA testing (or passes QA testing and makes it to customers) It could be that it was assembled badly OR that the design wasn't good enough to account for all conditions.  If QA catches it before it goes to the customer the thing gets reworked or scrapped it goes into "production yield", which isn't necessary a defect but increases price to the customer.  If QA doesn't catch it, but should have that is a QA escape.  If QA didn't test the issue before it went to the customer, that is an Engineering problem but not necessary a design defect (Because yield).
View Quote

I don’t know my company’s been molding for decades and the technicians use mold release they feel like it. They lubricate the tool how they want. Every Tool is a little bit different. If it starts to flash, they may drop the pressure but raise the water temperature. The tool is going to run different on different machines. Process parameters are often fast and loose and not documented well, if at all. I’ve also seen heat treat and plating, even dimensions changes on the fly for the sake of function without changing prints. It’s not so cut and dry. For all you know, the drawing says minimum radius, such and such and maybe the minimum is very small and looks like a sharp corner. More importantly, I think they’re feeding us garbage and I don’t think these stocks are the same thing they give to armies any more than these barrels.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
Got mine in October, the corners look radiused to me..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348780/1000001126_jpg-3166663.JPG
View Quote

That’s an undercut not a radius.
And I got to tell you guys… sure seems to me like stoner never heard of stress concentrations, so I wouldn’t put it past Steyr. Then again, he wasn’t an engineer was he?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:18:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#3]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I dont believe the color has anything to do with it. Opaque .vs transparent plastic maybe but I doubt the color of the dye could be the main issue. We would be seeing the effects of this in numerous other products since everything is made of colored plastics now. Unless somehow the specific color dye has some harmful additives. Most likely the problem is the type of plastic itself. Too hard/brittle for repeated impacts. Or the molds have changed and there is less material at a key stress point. Changing/updating molds can be very costly. I read somewhere they are like $100K...so it may be cheaper to replace 1-3% that crack .vs new molds.

*I know jack s*it about plastics
View Quote

Magpul discontinued certain color pmags due to fractures

To the guy that said that you are OK if it doesn’t break right away, there was a guy on Reddit. His broke at 3000 rounds. I was actually still going to buy one until I read that.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

Magpul discontinued certain color pmags due to fractures

To the guy that said that you are OK if it doesn't break right away, there was a guy on Reddit. His broke at 3000 rounds. I was actually still going to buy one until I read that.

View Quote
Another guy's broke at 7900.  Gun was from '21 if I recall.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Data point for you all.

My AUG was purchased right at the very end of December of 2016.

That stock can be no later than 2016.  Sadly, like a few folks here, there is no data code on the inside of the stock.  That being said, we can pretend (for the moment) that the stock was made the same day the gun was.  We know that is not the case...but let's roll with it.

I had noticed on a lot of the threads and forums that some of these cracked stocks (NOT ALL and remember, the stock can crack ANYWHERE, it seems, as they have cracked at the comb of the rifle an inch or so in front of the butt plate ) have VERY square features where the action bolt locks the action to the stock.  Some of the gun have a mitigating feature (which doesn't appear to work ) where the corners are rounded with a Swiss fill or a rotary bit.   Some guns that don't have this have VERY sharp and square action bolt holes in them.

Here is my gun from 2016.  Note that the action bolt AND the action bolt holes are all radiused as part of the manufacturing process.  This is present on BOTH sides of the gun:

These features are MUCH more radiused that even the photos show.

Now, I still FIRMLY believe that the main issue is with the plastic that was shot....not the fact that the corners on many features are not properly radiused.  HOWEVER,  this is indicative that there have been changes to molds and to machining processes OR acceptance practices and sometime after (so far as we know) 2020 stocks crack in shipping, after 200 rounds, after 7000 rounds or 7 rounds.

I have seen guns with both re-radiused action bolt holes (but not the bolts) AND I have seen SHARP action bolts AND bolt holes.  THAT should be a firm NO-NO....as well as accepting any plastic OR process change that isn't thoroughly vetted through a "Management of Change" process.

Anyhow, don't know if this is interesting to anyone...but there it is.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I need to compare my stocks.

Bought a 2017 40th anny STG-77 NIB from PJ in 2017
Bought a Mud from PSA last AUGust sale of 2023

Wonder what I will find for corners between the two.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Makes me wish I’d grabbed one of the early a3 stocks.

I’ll stick with my legacy A1/A2 and early NATO stocks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly it's super depressing.  The AUG is one of my favorite rifles ever, but I got rid of mine.  I won't get another, or recommend them, until this issue is addressed.  Makes me sad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#10]

I don’t know my company’s been molding for decades and the technicians use mold release they feel like it. They lubricate the tool how they want. Every Tool is a little bit different. If it starts to flash, they may drop the pressure but raise the water temperature. The tool is going to run different on different machines. Process parameters are often fast and loose and not documented well, if at all. I’ve also seen heat treat and plating, even dimensions changes on the fly for the sake of function without changing prints. It’s not so cut and dry. For all you know, the drawing says minimum radius, such and such and maybe the minimum is very small and looks like a sharp corner. More importantly, I think they’re feeding us garbage and I don’t think these stocks are the same thing they give to armies any more than these barrels.

View Quote

It depends on what the process allows them to do.  If the process says "lubricate the tool" then there is some discretion on how it is done.  If the Process says if you see X, do Y such as dropping pressure and raising water temp that is fine too.  If there is some kind of calibration chart for each machine for how it does things different and the process calls out for a "Calibrated machine" that works too.  If it isn't documented at all and doesn't force the technicians to follow the correct process to get the part that they need that is a Design issue.  It could be that the parts are over designed to accommodate variability in performance, and if it meets the print it is OK.

If the process varies enough where one part is good and another part fails then that is a design issue that needs to be revised either by making the part more tolerant or the process more stringent.

But ya, I am with you, my money is they changed the stock recipe (I.E. a design change) for some kind of cost cutting or obsolescence measure.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Honestly it's super depressing.  The AUG is one of my favorite rifles ever, but I got rid of mine.  I won't get another, or recommend them, until this issue is addressed.  Makes me sad.
View Quote

You got rid of your AUG due to the stock cracking issue?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Grabbing a Aug parts kit this paycheck and starting on the 3D printed Nylon AUG.

It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I keep shooting mine and check the stock when I do PM, so far no issues and I'm even using that area with a single point sling.  I know, my funeral...
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:

View Quote

Yeah.  I don't shoot a ton and didn't have many rounds on it at all.  Just didn't trust it, especially after seeing the guy whose stock waited to crack until around 3k.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Yeah.  I don't shoot a ton and didn't have many rounds on it at all.  Just didn't trust it, especially after seeing the guy whose stock waited to crack until around 3k.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I feel ya man.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Were you intending this as a serious rifle?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My AUG is set up as my home defense rifle. It’s going to be replaced by my Hellion until I’m comfortable with the AUG. I have over 200 rounds through it but need to shoot more and keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
My AUG is set up as my home defense rifle. It’s going to be replaced by my Hellion until I’m comfortable with the AUG. I have over 200 rounds through it but need to shoot more and keep an eye on it.
View Quote

Someone's AUG broke at nearly 8k rds. How many rounds will you need to fire before you feel comfortable?

I personally want Steyr to do make a statement about this and resolve it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Honestly it’s my favorite rifle to shoot by far. I hate all the cracking issues that have been coming up. This one is about 1600rds in so far and it looks fine. Made early 2020. Just did a complete takedown and inspect. So far so good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#20]
Compared my two today.

The 2017 STG-77 is a square as it comes.

The mud 20 12 date code s rounded.

Side by side no mistaking it.

Guess I put the 16 inch mud into the weekly shooter pile now and see what happens.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skyler2000] [#21]
Originally Posted By FastLoadGuy:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/507263/IMG_1106_jpeg-3175963.JPG

Honestly it’s my favorite rifle to shoot by far. I hate all the cracking issues that have been coming up. This one is about 1600rds in so far and it looks fine. Made early 2020. Just did a complete takedown and inspect. So far so good.
View Quote

Yeah, it's s great rifle. Probably the best military assault rifle ever made.

But the American stocks cracking make many of us anxious. Will it crack in 10 rds? Will it crack in 10k rounds? Do we have a good one? Until Steyr gives us answers, I'll always look at my AUG with a little bit of suspicion.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah, it's s great rifle. Probably the best military assault rifle ever made.

But the American stocks cracking make many of us anxious. Will it crack in 10 rds? Will it crack in 10k rounds? Do we have a good one? Until Steyr gives us answers, I'll always look at my AUG with a little bit of suspicion.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Were you intending this as a serious rifle?
View Quote

Yeah I was.  I got rid of it and replaced it with a Bren 2.  I'm picky about guns and reliability.  Seeing the issues with the AUG just made me panic sell.  Once the issue is fixed I'll probably get another, but not until I am 100% confident the problems are solved and I don't have to worry about the stock cracking anywhere between 500-3k rounds.  Like I said I don't shoot a ton and it'd take me forever to get to 3k rounds - like a few years probably at least.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Yeah I was.  I got rid of it and replaced it with a Bren 2.  I'm picky about guns and reliability.  Seeing the issues with the AUG just made me panic sell.  Once the issue is fixed I'll probably get another, but not until I am 100% confident the problems are solved and I don't have to worry about the stock cracking anywhere between 500-3k rounds.  Like I said I don't shoot a ton and it'd take me forever to get to 3k rounds - like a few years probably at least.
View Quote
Yeah, if it were me, mine would break about two minutes into seriously needing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Yeah, if it were me, mine would break about two minutes into seriously needing it.
View Quote

It's not like they break apart with no warning while you're shooting.  Every one I've seen starts as a tiny crack that might spread with more shooting. Like a windshield crack
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:02:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#26]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
It's not like they break apart with no warning while you're shooting.  Every one I've seen starts as a tiny crack that might spread with more shooting. Like a windshield crack
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

^^This right here.

Originally Posted By davidb1982:

Originally Posted By desertmoon:

How long / how many rounds do y'all expect a "home defense" scenario to last? If your stock began to crack on the very first round of said encounter, you'd still be able to do whatever you needed to do with the gun. Your home defense scenario isn't going to last hundreds of rounds and several hours.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
I need to compare my stocks.

Bought a 2017 40th anny STG-77 NIB from PJ in 2017
Bought a Mud from PSA last AUGust sale of 2023

Wonder what I will find for corners between the two.
View Quote
I am certainly curious!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texasyid] [#28]
But the American stocks cracking make many of us anxious.
View Quote

Any AUG stock I have ever had or seen since the late eighties says Steyr-Mannlicher Austria on it. I did not know and not sure they make AUG stocks here.

ETA. Just confirmed from Steyr all the stocks are done in Austria. All the receivers are cast or forged. None are machined from a billet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By texasyid:

Any AUG stock I have ever had or seen since the late eighties says Steyr-Mannlicher Austria on it. I did not know and not sure they make AUG stocks here.

ETA. Just confirmed from Steyr all the stocks are done in Austria. All the receivers are cast or forged. None are machined from a billet.
View All Quotes
But the American stocks cracking make many of us anxious.

I guess I meant stocks in AUGs that are sold here to Americans. I can't say if AUGs issued to Austrian LE and Mil. are cracking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
My stock has "Steyr Arms" and "AUG SA".
There is no Made in USA or Austria, (China lol) anywhere on the gun.

Steyr website does not say anything about where they are made either.

If they ever go back "in stock" I will probably get one as a spare.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By kwb377:

^^This right here.

How long / how many rounds do y'all expect a "home defense" scenario to last? If your stock began to crack on the very first round of said encounter, you'd still be able to do whatever you needed to do with the gun. Your home defense scenario isn't going to last hundreds of rounds and several hours.

View Quote

My HD scenario has a LOT of planned butt stroking and hard impacts using the stock, since the AUG has no bayonet lug. I also plan to smash a mini bar with the stock like Karl in Die Hard. A full stock disassembly after the first shot, like in some of the pics I've seen, would be demoralizing. All joking aside, the rifle may need to survive some impacts, bumps into walls/furniture, used to smash a window, maybe even an attempted snatch/grab etc. It CANNOT come apart from hard use!

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#32]

My HD scenario has a LOT of planned butt stroking and hard impacts using the stock, since the AUG has no bayonet lug. I also plan to smash a mini bar with the stock like Karl in Die Hard. A full stock disassembly after the first shot, like in some of the pics I've seen, would be demoralizing. All joking aside, the rifle may need to survive some impacts, bumps into walls/furniture, used to smash a window, maybe even an attempted snatch/grab etc. It CANNOT come apart from hard use!

View Quote
Amen, Brother!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Just to confirm, are Steyr saying that there’s no such thing as USA-made stocks and they are all made in Austria?

Also, what did they say about the receiver castings? The SWD castings came from Austria but I thought the new date wheel ones were cast in the usa as well as machined in the usa too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Cast or forged? I doubt they do both and if they're not sure, then they probably don't know what the hell they're talking about to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Smash the window with the muzzle
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Unfortunately, I agree w/you. Even if I didn't, I would expect more durability from a $1,500+ rifle. I hear a lot about how Steyr will replace any cracked stocks, but the best warranty, imho, is one that never needs to be used.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Just for record this is my OD oem 2005 stock (at least the SN is 2005 but the stock may be older)
Seems like they just used a deburring tool to clean the edges.. common practice in the polymer injection industry.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texasyid] [#38]
Cast or forged? I doubt they do both and if they're not sure, then they probably don't know what the hell they're talking about to begin with.
View Quote

Well I have a 40th anniversary with a forged receiver and an A3M1 with a cast receiver so yes they do both. My Sabre had a forged receiver. My 40th made in 2017 and my Mi made in 2000.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I've bumped into walls/furniture, fell down a flight of stairs (more than once), countered attempted snatch/grabs, and even butt-stroked myself once (slipped on broken glass from an explosive breach while rounding a stair landing, fell muzzle-first into the wall, and slammed the stock into my chin...knocked me out cold for a split second) with long guns during SWAT ops and none of that came close to enough force to crack a stock.

My AUG isn't my planned "go to" rifle for hard use, but it's not because I'm worried about it disintegrating like an eggshell...I just have more time and am more comfortable with an AR pattern gun. If my AUG was the first gun I could reach in a situation, I wouldn't give it a second thought or worry to last through the engagement. I don't treat mine with kid gloves, and I don't plan on treating it any differently in the future. If it cracks, I'll swap stocks...but I'm not going to sell or stuff it into the back of the safe in the meantime.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#40]

I've bumped into walls/furniture, fell down a flight of stairs (more than once), countered attempted snatch/grabs, and even butt-stroked myself once (slipped on broken glass from an explosive breach while rounding a stair landing, fell muzzle-first into the wall, and slammed the stock into my chin...knocked me out cold for a split second) with long guns during SWAT ops and none of that came close to enough force to crack a stock.

My AUG isn't my planned "go to" rifle for hard use, but it's not because I'm worried about it disintegrating like an eggshell...I just have more time and am more comfortable with an AR pattern gun. If my AUG was the first gun I could reach in a situation, I wouldn't give it a second thought or worry to last through the engagement. I don't treat mine with kid gloves, and I don't plan on treating it any differently in the future. If it cracks, I'll swap stocks...but I'm not going to sell or stuff it into the back of the safe in the meantime.

View All Quotes

Just curious, were you issued an AUG while you were in SWAT? Which SWAT team were you on? I didn't know the AUG was issued to any SWAT team here in the U.S.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

Well I have a 40th anniversary with a forged receiver and an A3M1 with a cast receiver so yes they do both. My Sabre had a forged receiver. My 40th made in 2017 and my Mi made in 2000.

Damn. Those are opposite in terms of strength. So the plot thickens. Maybe i want the stg77 a3m1 with the stg77 receiver? Is that forged?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:41:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texasyid] [#42]
I would have to look at it but just a guess it's probably cast. Any preban I ever had was cast and there is absolutely nothing wrong with an AUG cast receiver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I would have to look at it but just a guess it's probably cast. Any preban I ever had was cast and there is absolutely nothing wrong with an AUG cast receiver.
View Quote

Forged is always better. If somebody started selling cast ar15 frames, I don't think anybody would be clamoring for them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Tfbtv’s said they asked steyr about the stock issue, in reference to a question asked in the comments section, and they responded. I can’t post the picture because I’m not good with tech, but it goes:

“I did. This affected just 1 in 1,000 of the recent batch of stocks. Steyr will replace them and they have destroyed the entire batch of stocks as a result, even though it was only effecting .1% of them. “
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FiveseveNKAC:
Tfbtv’s said they asked steyr about the stock issue, in reference to a question asked in the comments section, and they responded. I can’t post the picture because I’m not good with tech, but it goes:

“I did. This affected just 1 in 1,000 of the recent batch of stocks. Steyr will replace them and they have destroyed the entire batch of stocks as a result, even though it was only effecting .1% of them. “
View Quote

How do they know it was 1 in 1,000 stocks? They they test them, or are they basing that number on the number of warranty claims they have received?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I don’t know. Just something I saw. It is not easy to communicate with someone to communicate with someone else over YouTube comments.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FiveseveNKAC:

View Quote

It's bullshit.
If i didnt mention this already, tech support dude at sig said his friend broke the stock and then broke the replacement stock. And let's be real, if people all shot their guns in volume, we'd have a lot more. As far as destroying batches i don't believe it for a second. Especially if it's really one in a thousand.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skyler2000] [#48]
Steyr really really needs to make a public statement about this.

They need to clearly state what the problem is, and what steps they are doing to correct this, such as fixing the molds, going back to the old polymer formula, etc, and then confirm that replacement stocks are made from the better formula. And then allow anyone who wants a new stock to get one, cracks or not.

Bad press like this can ruin a company.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Forged is always better. If somebody started selling cast ar15 frames, I don't think anybody would be clamoring for them.
View Quote

Apples vs orange’s comparison. The AUG receiver is thicker than an AR15 receiver and has steel inserts at the barrel extension, bearing surfaces for the carrier rods, and bearing surface with the barrel. Cast vs forged is a non-issue in the AUG.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Steyr really really needs to make a public statement about this.

They need to clearly state what the problem is, and what steps they are doing to correct this, such as fixing the molds, going back to the old polymer formula, etc, and then confirm that replacement stocks are made from the better formula. And then allow anyone who wants a new stock to get one, cracks or not.

Bad press like this can ruin a company.
View Quote

YES!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top