Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:35:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Apples vs orange’s comparison. The AUG receiver is thicker than an AR15 receiver and has steel inserts at the barrel extension, bearing surfaces for the carrier rods, and bearing surface with the barrel. Cast vs forged is a non-issue in the AUG.
View Quote

Given the choice I would never choose cast anything. Aluminum ain't all that strong to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:06:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skyler2000] [#4]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

They know if they did this, everyone with a stock in that date range would want a replacement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:
Steyr really really needs to make a public statement about this.

They need to clearly state what the problem is, and what steps they are doing to correct this, such as fixing the molds, going back to the old polymer formula, etc, and then confirm that replacement stocks are made from the better formula. And then allow anyone who wants a new stock to get one, cracks or not.

Bad press like this can ruin a company.

They know if they did this, everyone with a stock in that date range would want a replacement.

Yeah, and they should get one. Sure, they would lose some money initially, but they fucked up. It's kinda along the lines of correcting one's mistakes.

Also, doing so would reestablish the AUG as a good weapon one can have faith in. You can't underestimate the power of goodwill and faith in a weapon system, especially one that many people have long viewed as a reliable survival tool.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#7]

How do they know it was 1 in 1,000 stocks? They they test them, or are they basing that number on the number of warranty claims they have received?
View Quote

I bet its more than 1:1000. Hell, people doing stupid shit and negligently breaking stocks are probably more than 1:1000. And there is a big difference with shooting 300 rounds and breaking a stock and backing your truck over a stock by accident. Both folks will probably say "hey my stock just broke suddenly"...

I am at 175 rounds total now. I'm keeping a roll of duct tape in my range bag just in case I make it to 300...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I was just thinking “I need an AUG; I wonder if they’re still breaking”. Glad I popped over here to see what everyone was saying. Guess I’ll be postponing my purchase……again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
I was just thinking “I need an AUG; I wonder if they’re still breaking”. Glad I popped over here to see what everyone was saying. Guess I’ll be postponing my purchase……again.
View Quote

Yeah, it's kinds of a sad situation. I would love to totally recommend it to you.

I will say if you just want one as a range toy, go ahead and get it. Steyr will replace the stock if it breaks. It's still a high quality firearm.

If you want one for serious use, I would wait this issue out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#10]
Just curious and throwing it out there, but is it 100% established that the stocks are to blame/there is something wrong with the stocks themselves? Is it possible that for instance the barrels have their gas ports drilled too large which is beating the system up more than expected leading to early failures? Maybe that or the square takedown push pin was changed somehow and now under recoil all the force is transmitted to the edges on a smaller area (if the takedown pin isn’t rounded anymore or something)? Or the recoil springs might be weaker than in the past that causes the bolt to bottom out and cause more impact stress?

Not saying it’s not the stocks and I know it’s a long shot but it’s just odd to see these failures especially for folks that have had multiple failures on their replacement stocks from different batches.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Have you ever heard of an AUG receiver breaking?
View Quote

No, but given the choice, I would always take the stronger option because why not
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, and they should get one. Sure, they would lose some money initially, but they fucked up. It's kinda along the lines of correcting one's mistakes.

Also, doing so would reestablish the AUG as a good weapon one can have faith in. You can't underestimate the power of goodwill and faith in a weapon system, especially one that many people have long viewed as a reliable survival tool.
View Quote

And not only that, but look at how many more they are selling now than before. I think if they stepped up their game and reputation, they would sell even more guns.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#13]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Just curious and throwing it out there, but is it 100% established that the stocks are to blame/there is something wrong with the stocks themselves? Is it possible that for instance the barrels have their gas ports drilled too large which is beating the system up more than expected leading to early failures? Maybe that or the square takedown push pin was changed somehow and now under recoil all the force is transmitted to the edges on a smaller area (if the takedown pin isn’t rounded anymore or something)? Or the recoil springs might be weaker than in the past that causes the bolt to bottom out and cause more impact stress?

Not saying it’s not the stocks and I know it’s a long shot but it’s just odd to see these failures especially for folks that have had multiple failures on their replacement stocks from different batches.

Any thoughts?
View Quote

They conceded the problem to me on the phone.
They told me that they changed the material in 2020 and that's when the fractures started. They also told me that they think they have it worked out with the next batch that's coming in but they don't know what changed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

They told me that they changed the material in 2020 and that's when the fractures started. They also told me that they think they have it worked out with the next batch that's coming in but they don't know what changed.
View All Quotes

Any thoughts?

When did you have this phone call with them?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Any thoughts?
View Quote

Shit,

I’d love for someone to confirm that black stocks have this issue.
I asked before in this thread and unless I’m mistaken, someone said maybe they saw a broken black one.
Am I wrong that this is 97% a colored stock issue and MAYBE someone saw one or two black ones break? Or have we even seen a single confirmed black stock broken?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JohhnyCobra:

Shit,

I asked before in this thread and unless I’m mistaken, someone said maybe they saw a broken black one.
Am I wrong that this is 97% a colored stock issue and MAYBE someone saw one or two black ones break? Or have we even seen a single confirmed black stock broken?
View All Quotes

Any thoughts?

Shit,

The black ones seem to be less popular in general, so it would make sense that we would see less broken black stocks.
Mud seems to be the most popular color.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#17]

The black ones seem to be less popular in general, so it would make sense that we would see less broken black stocks.
View All Quotes

Any thoughts?

Shit,

Not trying to be a dick, but all I’m asking is for any account of a broken black stock.
Maybe this is the solution to broken stocks  - buy a black one.

I still want to see ONE account of a black stock broken. Hell 2-3 accounts.
But I’ve seen zero pics and the black is definitely not 1/100th the volume of mud or green and white.

Maybe less popular but  zero accounts of failure doesn’t tell me if black is totally immune, slightly stronger or just as bad but too low volume in sales to register.

Why is it so hard to say if ANYONE has seen ANY broken black Aug stocks (outside of total abuse)?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]

When did you have this phone call with them?
View Quote

I want to say a month ago
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Not trying to be a dick, but all I’m asking is for any account of a broken black stock.

But I’ve seen zero pics and the black is definitely not 1/100th the volume of mud or green and white.

Maybe less popular but  zero accounts of failure doesn’t tell me if black is totally immune, slightly stronger or just as bad but too low volume in sales to register.

Why is it so hard to say if ANYONE has seen ANY broken black Aug stocks (outside of total abuse)?
View All Quotes

Any thoughts?

Shit,

Well I havn't seen any broken black stocks. I havn't seen any broken white stocks either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Skyler2000: The black ones seem to be less popular in general... Mud seems to be the most popular color.
View Quote

Not sure I buy that... but it sounds like a perfect topic for a poll.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Well I havn't seen any broken black stocks. I havn't seen any broken white stocks either.
View Quote

Generally speaking, people with white stock AUGs don’t shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:37:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jkirkon] [#22]
Interesting to note…

About 6 months ago, I bought a new stock from Steyr. Not because of an issue with my other stock, but because I wanted a color change.

You can see that Steyr has relieved the corners on the takedown block, and it appears it was molded that way. The reliefs are very smooth, no signs of using a dremel or a file. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My old stock was not done like this, I used a round file to relieve them myself.

I’ll look and see if I can find a date code on it.

Edit: date code is 6/21 on my new stock. Date code of my old (black) stock was 10/20.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Steyr doesn't have a great record of polymer selection judging from SSG magazines and floor plate trigger guards.

View Quote

Oh yeah.  I forgot all about that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Steye doesn't have Glock money. Steyr USA is like <40 dudes. If they had to replace every stock, headquarters in Austria might pull the plug.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#25]
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

Steye doesn't have Glock money. Steyr USA is like <40 dudes. If they had to replace every stock, headquarters in Austria might pull the plug.
View Quote

Are the stocks really that pricey for them to cause serious issues for the company? I know the prices on them are high, but I assume they have a very healthy markup and if the manufacturing cost for them isn’t nearly that bad maybe it would be more manageable?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

It sounded like a perfectly reasonable conversation and a logical explanation in general terms. But the question is: Was that person in a position to know for sure or was he guessing, repeating rumors, or saying what he was told to say.  Probably a person who would know for sure, upper management or part of the production team in Austria, would have denied a problem existed and or refused to say anything.

Personally I am 99% sure you heard the correct explanation at least to that person's best knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#27]
This is what I thought was a crack when I first saw it. It looks more like a crack in person. After a few dozen attempts from all angles and various lighting conditions, this is the best picture I could take...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#29]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It sounded like a perfectly reasonable conversation and a logical explanation in general terms. But the question is: Was that person in a position to know for sure or was he guessing, repeating rumors, or saying what he was told to say.  Probably a person who would know for sure, upper management or part of the production team in Austria, would have denied a problem existed and or refused to say anything.

Personally I am 99% sure you heard the correct explanation at least to that person's best knowledge.
View All Quotes

It's the 'old austrian dude that knows everything' according to support;
Pj seconded this assertion
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Are the stocks really that pricey for them to cause serious issues for the company? I know the prices on them are high, but I assume they have a very healthy markup and if the manufacturing cost for them isn’t nearly that bad maybe it would be more manageable?
View Quote

I have no knowledge of Steyr's bookkeeping, so this is pure speculation on my part, but I think that Steyr's margins are very thin on the AUG. They were like a thousand bucks in the 80's (almost 2,500 in current dollars). They have legitimate competition in the military grade bullpup market in the Tavor and Hellion. Both of those rifles are newer and havea lot of desirable features. I remember hearing that the stocks are a a subcontracted part, so there's probably only so much they can do on cost there. Due to scale, this just isn't like the AR-15 market.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:04:40 AM EDT
[#31]

I have no knowledge of Steyr's bookkeeping, so this is pure speculation on my part, but I think that Steyr's margins are very thin on the AUG. They were like a thousand bucks in the 80's (almost 2,500 in current dollars). They have legitimate competition in the military grade bullpup market in the Tavor and Hellion. Both of those rifles are newer and havea lot of desirable features. I remember hearing that the stocks are a a subcontracted part, so there's probably only so much they can do on cost there. Due to scale, this just isn't like the AR-15 market.
View Quote

You are right, dude also told me someone molds them, and they 'weld' the two halves in house.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:33:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#32]

Given the choice I would never choose cast anything. Aluminum ain't all that strong to begin with.
View Quote

The Austrians have been making AUG receivers from castings for 45+ years without issue. The receiver is nothing more than a low stress housing in which steel parts are held that handle more stress.

Where I think a forging would be interesting is if one could make the receiver lighter by shedding material.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#33]
The question of black stocks cracking has me concerned because that was the color I bought. A few hundred rounds in it and no issue so far. It does have the relieved corners dremeled from the factory. Stock manufacturing date of 4/22.

I was/am seriously considering a classic green model and splurging for the old STG 77 scope for that iconic look but this issue has me pumping the breaks on AUGs for the moment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sleazy-E:
The question of black stocks cracking has me concerned because that was the color I bought. A few hundred rounds in it and no issue so far. It does have the relieved corners dremeled from the factory. Stock manufacturing date of 4/22.

I was/am seriously considering a classic green model and splurging for the old STG 77 scope for that iconic look but this issue has me pumping the breaks on AUGs for the moment.
View Quote

I think the best looking is A3 M1 with either TA 31 or TA 44
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Lol.  This is the same dude that told me that my barrel was chrome lined when it was in fact nitrided.  I don't believe anything coming out of Steyr US.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

Lol.  This is the same dude that told me that my barrel was chrome lined when it was in fact nitrided.  I don't believe anything coming out of Steyr US.
View Quote

Are u sure? His name is Herbert or something.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

It seems to me that's true for the whole industry. It does not keep pace with inflation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Are u sure? His name is Herbert or something.
View Quote
Herbert has been the head gunsmith at Steyr USA for over a decade and came from Steyr Austria
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#39]
This is what I thought was a crack when I first saw it. It looks more like a crack in person. After a few dozen attempts from all angles and various lighting conditions, this is the best picture I could take...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135543/IMG_2649_jpg-3179216.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135543/IMG_2642_jpg-3179218.JPG
View Quote

@ITCHY-FINGER:  scratch.  Great place for it, huh?  That would drive me a bit nuts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe I missed it, but how does one determine the year if there’s no date code?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I just wanna know who is gonna sell me a pre-2020 stock so i can buy an aug already
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#42]
I just wanna know who is gonna sell me a pre-2020 stock so i can buy an aug already
View Quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1030202182
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#43]

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1030202182
View Quote

I dont want a3
And i want green stock
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

@ITCHY-FINGER:  scratch.  Great place for it, huh?  That would drive me a bit nuts.
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts. Even though it's not a crack, the resale value of that stock is shit considering EVERYONE is panicked and looking for cracks in AUG stocks and some $#@#&%# who's job it was to clean up stocks, radius holes, etc. put that fake crack on it
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Exactly my thoughts. Even though it's not a crack, the resale value of that stock is shit considering EVERYONE is panicked and looking for cracks in AUG stocks and some $#@#&%# who's job it was to clean up stocks, radius holes, etc. put that fake crack on it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

Just make em replace
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#46]
At least on person on Reddit made a warrantee claim for his broken stock and the stock he received from Steyr had a hairline crack in the bottom LH corner. *facepalm*

Yes, a statement needs to be made ASAP as the AUG's rep is taking a hit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Maybe I missed it, but how does one determine the year if there’s no date code?
View Quote

If you remove the buttpad just inside the stock a molded/printed date cod wheel with arrow pointing to month and year printed on it. Of course, depending on when you bought, it there are older stocks that don't have a date wheel.

@CJofFL
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#48]

I dont want a3
And i want green stock
View Quote

Buy an A3, sell the receiver and bolt group, keep the barrel, stock, and hammer pack, buy A3M1, sell the stock.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag: If you remove the buttpad just inside the stock a molded/printed date cod wheel with arrow pointing to month and year printed on it. Of course, depending on when you bought, it there are older stocks that don't have a date wheel.
View Quote

Thanks, but mine looks like @kwb377 pics on page 2. Just a 0 with a line under it. I bought it in 6/2020, although the receiver serial starts with 16, so maybe it was new old stock and I'm safe? Fingers crossed. That said, I find it hard to believe the dealer, Classic Firearms, had it for that long. Maybe they weren't hot sellers in late 201X's and Steyr released it later?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#50]

Buy an A3, sell the receiver and bolt group, keep the barrel, stock, and hammer pack, buy A3M1, sell the stock.
View Quote

If I buy the A3 and sell everything but the stock how much do you figure that stock is going to cost me?

Your preposal leaves me with an extra Fcg and barrel
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top