Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

Just make em replace
View Quote

I'm thinking about it but it's not a safe-queen and probably get more scratches eventually. I'm also monitoring the stock in case it does crack somewhere. With my luck, I'll send back a scratched stock and get one with a big crack...I just went over 300 rounds with that rifle so I'll wait and see.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:01:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#2]

If I buy the A3 and sell everything but the stock how much do you figure that stock is going to cost me?

Your preposal leaves me with an extra Fcg and barrel
View Quote

Spares are good. But if you want to just 1:1 swap, I bet you could break even selling everything but the stock for the a3m1.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Spares are good. But if you want to just 1:1 swap, I bet you could break even selling everything but the stock for the a3m1.
View Quote

We just got a brand spanking new mold from our parent company in Germany. They did not make proper vents. Everything about the venting is a hatchet job. Then they started just hand grinding shit. At some point, they called it Good and sent it to us. It makes good parts for a half hour until you have enough fouling in the vents, and then it makes parts that break when u snap them into place in use. Judging by the fact that they can't make a proper core for the takedown crossbolt hole, i'm starting to think maybe the venting is suspect
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]

If I buy the A3 and sell everything but the stock how much do you figure that stock is going to cost me?

Your preposal leaves me with an extra Fcg and barrel
View Quote

I'll give you $1000 for the complete carrier group and receiver. That leaves you with the barrel, fcg, and stock/buttpad.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Damn.

How did I miss this gem until now?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Makes me glad I bought an X95 to go with my AUG.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

View Quote

I don't like its height over bore nor its complexity
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

I can understand the height over bore concern (although it doesn't bother me, ymmv), but I find it hard to ascribe 'complex' to the X95, it's very easy to strip/clean.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

I can understand the height over bore concern (although it doesn't bother me, ymmv), but I find it hard to ascribe 'complex' to the X95, it's very easy to strip/clean.
View Quote

Detail strip goes on for days
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

If you feel the need to go that far.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]

If you feel the need to go that far.
View Quote

How lazy someone is has no impact on how complex something is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

How lazy someone is has no impact on how complex something is.
View Quote

Complex is complex. Easy is easy. A couple of years ago I ruined an expensive Arsenal SAM7 SF AK by spraying it down with gun scrubber. The finish melted away and the gun turned purple or stripped to bare metal. It now has an awesome "to hell and back" patina. At my age, I'm too busy (lazy) to spent hours cleaning shit using Q-tips. Any equipment I use MUST survive my lazy and ignorant ass "cleaning" it...

So far, the AUG has been a breeze to clean. The barrel, piston, gas cylinder and maybe the bolt face and it's done. And I am OCD as hell.

I have never touched a Tavor but anyone I have ever talked to spoke highly of them. A guy uses one at our local 2-gun match and he has a terrible time past 100 yards...It's painful to watch...
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:01:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#13]
No, I would not detail strip it, but I used the endless detail strip as an obvious illustration of its complexity.
Whatever you might think of the AUG, it's damn simple. But the trigger sucks. This video is enlightening.

https://youtu.be/JcYcFkS4t5w?si=WnP8u8I8fvgSoJ5l

I gotta tell you all these issues which are slowing down my purchase are just making me lust after it more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
TFB had a vid on their newest release AUG.

Wonder if they acually addressed the cracking issue with the new production/model gun.

Owning two now it's doubtful I'll be buying this new model when it hits the wild.
Not enough of a change to want it and it also explains the large price drop of the M3A1 since last summer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#15]

View Quote
I don't know about complexity. I've had my X95 apart changing charging handles, adding a manticore rail, upgrading the trigger, etc. It's not difficult to work on.

It is heavy though. But it's also very tough and I don't worry about the stock cracking.

Right now I have more faith in my Keltec RDB Survival than I do my AUG.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I need to buy one to see if I even love it before I spend endless hours and months thinking about potential failures. If I buy a flat top in green, shoot it a little bit and then decide to sell it. What is the private party value on here for a gently used one shipped?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I need to buy one to see if I even love it before I spend endless hours and months thinking about potential failures. If I buy a flat top in green, shoot it a little bit and then decide to sell it. What is the private party value on here for a gently used one shipped?
View Quote

Too much.

I've been watching for months now, and it's just really hard to fork over $1500 for an AUG when you can get so much more rifle for less nowdays.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
TFB had a vid on their newest release AUG.

Wonder if they acually addressed the cracking issue with the new production/model gun.

Owning two now it's doubtful I'll be buying this new model when it hits the wild.
Not enough of a change to want it and it also explains the large price drop of the M3A1 since last summer.
View Quote

How much were they last summer?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]

How much were they last summer?
View Quote

PSA blew outa every color ovaer a few weeks from 1399 to 1499 called it the AUGust sale
I have a few friends with SOTs and a few with regular ffls they all were pissed said it was below dealer cost on the 1400 ones.

Seems they still pop a few sales at the 1499 price of you get the PSA emails.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#20]

PSA blew outa every color ovaer a few weeks from 1399 to 1499 called it the AUGust sale
I have a few friends with SOTs and a few with regular ffls they all were pissed said it was below dealer cost on the 1400 ones.

Seems they still pop a few sales at the 1499 price of you get the PSA emails.
View Quote

Wow.

I got a spot I'm watching 1565 shipped and they don't charge my state sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I got mine from Battlehawk Armory a couple months ago under $1600 in my hands.  I've only had it out to the range once so far, shot about 200 rounds.  I like it.  It's different enough from all my ARs to be fun.  

If it cracks, I'll let Steyr replace the stock.  No big deal to me.  If the Chinese invade from the coast, it'll take them a month at least to make their way inland to KY.  That's enough time for UPS to get my AUG to Alabama and back.  If they come in from the air like Red Dawn, I'll just have to use an AR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By campower:

Too much.

I've been watching for months now, and it's just really hard to fork over $1500 for an AUG when you can get so much more rifle for less nowdays.
View All Quotes

Too much.

You have a point but OTOH you can have what is basically a SBR without the hassle and still get the higher velocity of a standard length carbine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:22:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#23]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

You have a point but OTOH you can have what is basically a SBR without the hassle and still get the higher velocity of a standard length carbine.
View Quote
True, but the AUG is far from the only bullpup on the US market anymore.  

If you are a collector and need an AUG to fill a hole in your collection then nothing else will do. But if you just want a good bullpup, there are many options.

Steyr need to step up their QA. They are getting left behind.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:19:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#24]
In my mind, $1500 is about the "average" for a quality non-AR rifle.  In the AR world, $900-1000 gets you Colt reliability. $1300-1500 gets you BCM and DD quality components.  $1800-2300 gets you LMT innovation.

If you're that guy that thinks a $500 PSA is just as good as a KAC then you're likely not going to enjoy your $1500 AUG.

If you're a guy that likes proven non-AR designs then you're going to spend $1500ish on a Galil ACE, AUG, Tavor, etc.  Proprietary is as proprietary does.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Too much.

And avoid the muddy waters of pistol braces. I would not put it past some local PD arresting you for pistol but then again I can imagine those people thinking the AUG is SBR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
2199.00 befor tax & shipping M3A1 with spare 20 inch 556 barrel and factory 1.5x AUG optic.

Not a bad deal for the gun 2 barrels and OEM optic.

Two barrels included 16 inch 300 Blkout barrel & 20 inch 556 barrel.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/steyr-aug-a3-m1-300-blackout-16-30rd-rifle-w-1-5x-steyr-optic-augm1blkext300sp2.html

I have the OG 1.5 donut of death on my STG-77
And the factory 3x  AUG on my M3A1

the optic  for the OEM 3x was 499 from RTG when I bought mine the 1.5x was the same price and if I remeber corectly the 20 inch 556 barrels are around 700

So that brings the rifle in at right around a grand before shipping & tax with a new release 300 Blkout barrel.

DAMN SON!

I would have went with this deal over their AUGust sale due the extras.
Just makes it a better deal all around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#27]
2199.00 befor tax & shipping M3A1 with spare 20 inch 556 barrel and factory 1.5x AUG optic.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/steyr-aug-a3-m1-300-blackout-16-30rd-rifle-w-1-5x-steyr-optic-augm1blkext300sp2.html

the optic  for the OEM 3x was 499 from RTG when I bought mine the 1.5x was the same price and if I remeber corectly the 20 inch 556 barrels are around 700

So that brings the rifle in at right around a grand before shipping & tax with a new release 300 Blkout barrel.

DAMN SON!

View Quote

To me it's a gun missing a high rail, a green standard stock and green grip. And if i bought it i doubt i could sell those two for 1200.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Are green parts more valuable than black ones? Why is that?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:24:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#29]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Are green parts more valuable than black ones? Why is that?
View Quote

I wouldn't buy a black one any more then I would buy a ruger 556. The green is part of what makes to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]

I wouldn't buy a black one any more then I would buy a ruger 556. The green is part of what makes to me.
View Quote

+1

I've owned one black AUG and countless green.  

I have virtually no interest in black, mud, white (seriously Steyr .... white ....) or camo AUGs.

The OG was OD and all others look wrong to my ancient eyes (that remember handling the 901 series "preban" guns at gun shows 10 years before "preban" was a thing).
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#31]

Too much.

View Quote

PSA caught me with their $1499 sale for the Black waffle pattern. Also got some mags that were $19.99 with free shipping. They really got their hooks in me and I'm lucky they dont sell crack or meth. I liked it so much that I went back and bought a green one (also waffle) when it went down to $1499. It then jumped up to $2599 or something. I guess the OG green is the most popular. I like the black also though. Both have been great shooters.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#32]

DAMN SON!

View Quote

That was a tempting deal. But I didnt want a NATO pattern...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

View Quote

Didn't even notice it was nato.

Ya I prefer the standard waffles for the AUG and bought those since I'm a lefty.

Just shows though they are close to the new release trying to blow out old inventory at prices that are tood good to refuse if you are looking for one or on the fence due to price.

Wonder how many will sell due to the new handguard and the return(ish) the the M3 receiver
was disapointed that TFB didn't bring up the cracking issue with at least asking if the new model was fixed or not.

Then again they really seem to be ignoring it in the public view so maybe it wasn't allowed to be adressed on video.
I can see that happening. Ignore the problem and hope it goes away while working on it in house.
Accept the internet is like two ladies hanging clothes in the back yard.
No truth so rumors and unanswered questions abound.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
the descriptions says it takes standard Austrian AUG mags
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
the descriptions says it takes standard Austrian AUG mags
View Quote

You may be correct since the title description does not say "NATO". But the mag in the picture in a Magpul with a 300BO band around it which made me think it takes Stanag mags. I'm just not sure. The description also says "Stock color OD green" but shows a black stock. So who knows.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#36]
i'm really on the fence here. I wish somebody would just sell me a new old stock
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish somebody would just sell me a new old stock
View Quote
A lot of us wish that right now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Man... I OWE YOU

I was reviewing this thread before I made my first AUG purchase, and saw yout post.

I certainly don't want a NATO model..

Whew.. gotta read more carefully.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Man... I OWE YOU

I was reviewing this thread before I made my first AUG purchase, and saw yout post.

View All Quotes

Man... I OWE YOU

Where are you guys getting that it's a NATO stock gun? The descriptions says:

"For the first time ever, Steyr Arms USA is offering a very limited run of the .300 AAC AUG standard (Austrian magazine) version"
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Where are you guys getting that it's a NATO stock gun? The descriptions says:

"For the first time ever, Steyr Arms USA is offering a very limited run of the .300 AAC AUG standard (Austrian magazine) version"
View Quote

You are correct.
I just looked at the picture, saw the Magpul mag and assumed it was NATO. The description says it's a standard waffle pattern...but also states that the stock is green so....

I was close to buying one since it seems like a great deal. The 300 BO AUG, with the 1.5X optic, AND a spare 20" barrel. That's like $1000 worth of extras. But apparently the 300 only runs subs reliably with a suppressor and I dont want a 1.5X optic with no daylight illumination.  So I'd be paying $2300 (after tax etc) for a black M1 A3 with 20" barrel and would need to find a rail to attack an RDS or ACOG...
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#41]

You are correct.
I just looked at the picture, saw the Magpul mag and assumed it was NATO. The description says it's a standard waffle pattern...but also states that the stock is green so....

I was close to buying one since it seems like a great deal. The 300 BO AUG, with the 1.5X optic, AND a spare 20" barrel. That's like $1000 worth of extras. But apparently the 300 only runs subs reliably with a suppressor and I dont want a 1.5X optic with no daylight illumination.  So I'd be paying $2300 (after tax etc) for a black M1 A3 with 20" barrel and would need to find a rail to attack an RDS or ACOG...
View Quote

I think that's Steyr's .300 blk mag, not a Magpul
You could always put the RDS on the top rail of the Steyr optic in the meantime. That's what they're there for
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I threw a red dot in too of my 3x optic and use it as the primary. It’s actually pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]

I think that's Steyr's .300 blk mag, not a Magpul
You could always put the RDS on the top rail of the Steyr optic in the meantime. That's what they're there for
View Quote

I have read that with the 70mm mount that it comes with, it would put the RDS a little on the high side. The 60mm (without a riser) would put the RDS at a good height. Also, I think it would be silly putting an RDS on top of a 1.5X scope. A 3X maybe but a 1.5X?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#44]

I have read that with the 70mm mount that it comes with, it would put the RDS a little on the high side. The 60mm (without a riser) would put the RDS at a good height. Also, I think it would be silly putting an RDS on top of a 1.5X scope. A 3X maybe but a 1.5X?
View Quote

the Austrian army also uses the 60mm mount with the 10mm riser

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#45]
When was one of you going to tell me that some of the stocks don't allow magazines to drop free?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#46]
When was one of you going to tell me that some of the stocks don't allow magazines to drop free?
View Quote

Most of my AUGs do. Some of them don't. It's never been a problem for me. Were we supposed to tell you this?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 80085:

Most of my AUGs do. Some of them don't. It's never been a problem for me. Were we supposed to tell you this?
View Quote

Yes!!

Can this be remedied with a file?
Im sure i can have vendor check before shipping...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#48]
My NATO AUG drops free.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone asked or answered this - are there any reports of issues rifles cracking?  Between Austria / Australia / etc in the GWOT until now you’d think this issue, if it exists on their rifles, would have shown itself many times over. The average issued rifle especially for training new young conscripts has got to be tens if not 100+ thousand rounds. Are the two made on different tooling?  US vs Austrian tooling?  Sorry if these are dumb questions but with the production numbers of these rifles and variants there should only be a small handful of possible reasons why they are cracking.

Will Styer send me 10,000 rounds of xm193 or m855 to put through my rifle to see if it’s one of the bad ones?  I didn’t think so. We need and DEMAND to understand why this is happening and there needs to be a recall and replacement of the affected firearms or their reputation is officially compromised in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80085] [#50]
I try to stay away from conspiratorial thinking but now knowing that 100% of Steyr was just sold to RSBC, I wonder if an alternative and more cost-effective polymer was used in the production of the semi auto civilian guns, while the military contracts continued using the tried and true polymer formulation that has been in use forever. I have no basis for this argument whatsoever beside pure conspiracy conjecture but it makes sense in my mind that the financials would have to show the best profitability as possible prior to the sale.

Likewise it would also make sense to hold back any acknowledgment of widespread issues of stock cracking as well as refusing to make things right and renew confidence in the gun via a recall and replacement campaign.

I want to be wrong…
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top