User Panel

Site Notices
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 4 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Hopefully this isn't a derail but, since you mentioned it earlier, what contracts exist for the MCX?  London Metro has been photo'ed quite often with these guns and I believe there were some Israeli commandos also seen carrying these rifles.  Are there any other countries/units carrying these guns that you can disclose?  

That might help settle the minds here knowing that X amount of units are running the old pattern.  Plus it is interesting stuff to know who all is using these.
View Quote
I can't speak to the contracts that we hold, unfortunately.  

Do know that there are elite US forces using the MCX, as well.  Both .mil and LEO
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By coregon:
I understand, it's frustrating.  The PM is going to keep me in the loop on ETA's - do know that small parts (everything from barrels and hand guards to replacement parts, etc) are a priority to get those out and available.  I will keep this thread updated as I get them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
Coregon, Are you able to say WHEN spare parts can be purchased? Hoping not the Desert Tech/MDR, soon, two weeks, etc. answer. For the number of them out there supposedly that need support, one would think there would be spare parts available when one would like to order. I mean, dang, SIG is building guns, freaking parts come from somewhere. I get it, big contracts, etc. get the attention and the dollar, individual users, etc. maybe.
MCX parts will be rolling out first, then Virtus parts will start rolling out.  

I don't have an ETA, but have been told by the PM that it's close.
Coregon, I certainly appreciate what you are doing here, but any chance the "close" and start, etc can be nailed down? I really like this platform, but at some point one has a limit on supporting it if some results aren't seen. I didn't openly gripe about the recall, even when one had the recall and had to go back after the recall, I had an early one with a red bumper and that needed to be switched out.. I know this thread has morphed considerably but dang Tractor Supply is around the corner for the pitchforks

Mark
I understand, it's frustrating.  The PM is going to keep me in the loop on ETA's - do know that small parts (everything from barrels and hand guards to replacement parts, etc) are a priority to get those out and available.  I will keep this thread updated as I get them.
Thank you. Monetarily, I'm debating two things-

Keep the current ones provided spare parts are obtainable, cheapest option.
Sell them and pick up a Virtus

I still want that dang CSASS submission--maybe that's the final chapter? but may be a "mini CSASS" in 5.56 more than likely?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]

I can't speak to the contracts that we hold, unfortunately.  

Do know that there are elite US forces using the MCX, as well.  Both .mil and LEO
View Quote
I can confirm this. That's how I found out about the MCX platform, a friend of mine who's using on in theater. 
Thats all I'll say. But he spoke highly of it and I went and bought mine. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I can confirm this...a friend of mine who's using on in theater. 
View Quote
Awesome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
*Pic Dump Warning*

Here are just some pictures of a 16" 556 MCX Virtus.  Model/SKU:  RMCX-16B-TAP-P

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Close-up pics of the hand guard

Same type of attachment (retained my pivot pin from lower receiver).

Attachment Attached File

Anti-rotation QD cups on either side of the hand guard.  Longer top rail and two "windows" are cut into the rail to better accommodate different gas lengths.  

Attachment Attached File

Top view

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Barrel comparison.

Both barrels are 16" 556.  The barrel installed is from the Virtus, while the bare barrel is from an original MCX.  Notice that the barrel profile on the Virtus is heavier, as well as the longer gas system.  

Attachment Attached File

Top barrel is Virtus, bottom is original MCX

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#8]
Upper receiver/chassis comparison.

Notice that the upper rail is shorter (hence the lack of hand guard compatibility).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Ill include a comparison of the charging handles here.  Notice that the Virtus (right side) has Gasbuster characteristics and works well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
BCG/Bolt comparison.

Notice that the carrier rotates away to aid in easier bolt/firing pin removal without complete disassembly of the carrier.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Carrier group broken down - firing pin retention is captive.

Attachment Attached File

Complete carrier comparison - top is from Virtus, bottom is OG MCX

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that's everything guys - sorry for the delay, had some travel this week and then it was hotter than Satan's thermostat in my shop all day, so I waited until after dark.  

If you have any questions, let's hear them.  I tried to take general pictures of the comparisons, but if you have certain requests, I will do everything I can to fulfill them.  I do NOT have a Virtus SD hand guard yet, so I can't show you what that looks like.  

Note - one thing I realized I didn't snap a picture of is showing a standard SD hand guard on a Virtus chassis, just to show you how the 2 will NOT mate up.  Ill try to grab that in the next round of pics, just for reference.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude thanks for these pics. Really cool to see the differences.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Any chance you could take pics of the 9" blackout and 11.5" 5.56 barrels?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Coregon,
Thank you for the pics.
So I bought my mcx early 2016, my bolt looks like the one you posted that belongs to the virtus.  When was the virtus bolt "created" because I think the bolt u showed That is the virtus bolt is the same I have?
Also the gas regulator switch looks new along with the gas block? The piston is clearly larger as shown in the picture.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
Coregon,
Thank you for the pics.
So I bought my mcx early 2016, my bolt looks like the one you posted that belongs to the virtus.  When was the virtus bolt "created" because I think the bolt u showed That is the virtus bolt is the same I have?
Also the gas regulator switch looks new along with the gas block? The piston is clearly larger as shown in the picture.
View Quote
The bolt you have looks like the Virtus bolt, but the lugs are different.  The Virtus barrel extension/bolt are unique to it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]

The bolt you have looks like the Virtus bolt, but the lugs are different.  The Virtus barrel extension/bolt are unique to it.
View Quote
Okay thanks for clarifying.

Is the gas regulator still just a suppressed or unsupressed?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the pics!

Is the Virtus charging handle compatible with the legacy MCX?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Coregon - thanks for the huge download, info and pics. MUCH appreciated!

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe this has already been asked but is the gray color anodizing ala old Colt M16 or some type of paint/coating?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi folks, I'm new here and had to finally join because this is the best intel anywhere on the MCX Virtus. Thank you Coregon!

I have a question about weight. Looking at SIG's specs it seems the Virtus has gained about one full lb. in every configuration. For instance:

SIG MCX Patrol 16in:  6.9 lb
SIG MCX Virtus Patrol 16in:  7.9 lb

SIG MCX Pistol 5.56 11in:  6.4 lb
SIG MCX Virtus Pistol 5.56 11in:  7.4 lb

SIG MCX Pistol 300BLK 9in:  6 lb
SIG MCX Virtus Pistol 300BLK 9in:  7 lb

I understand the heavier profile barrel adds weight, but even the 300BLK pistol versions with the short 9in barrel gain a pound. Are there other components of the Virtus that are heavier than thier original MCX counterparts?

Coregon, can you put the Virtus 16in Patrol on a scale and confirm the advertised weight?

Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#21]
Originally Posted By E4W:
Thanks for the pics!

Is the Virtus charging handle compatible with the legacy MCX?
View Quote
Yes (have one in my OG MCX right now)
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SpaceGhostGun:
Hi folks, I'm new here and had to finally join because this is the best intel anywhere on the MCX Virtus. Thank you Coregon!

I have a question about weight. Looking at SIG's specs it seems the Virtus has gained about one full lb. in every configuration. For instance:

SIG MCX Patrol 16in:  6.9 lb
SIG MCX Virtus Patrol 16in:  7.9 lb

SIG MCX Pistol 5.56 11in:  6.4 lb
SIG MCX Virtus Pistol 5.56 11in:  7.4 lb

SIG MCX Pistol 300BLK 9in:  6 lb
SIG MCX Virtus Pistol 300BLK 9in:  7 lb

I understand the heavier profile barrel adds weight, but even the 300BLK pistol versions with the short 9in barrel gain a pound. Are there other components of the Virtus that are heavier than thier original MCX counterparts?

Coregon, can you put the Virtus 16in Patrol on a scale and confirm the advertised weight?

Thanks a lot!
View Quote
7.9#, on the nose - that's an unloaded weight, FYI.

You're picking up weight in the barrel and hand guard, primarily.  Though, you're picking up slight weight in gas block, bolt, carrier, etc
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Yes, 2-position.  It is also much easier to access, with the new "windows" in the hand guard and the larger paddles on the selector.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes, 2-position.  It is also much easier to access, with the new "windows" in the hand guard and the larger paddles on the selector.
View Quote
That's a big plus right there. The old one is a PITA to adjust especially when the system is a little dirty.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there any change in the diameter to the 300 BLK barrel?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: right_rudder] [#26]

That's a big plus right there. The old one is a PITA to adjust especially when the system is a little dirty.
View Quote
No kidding. I ended up putting a punch in my pack just for the gas selector. 
I'd cycle it every range trip just to keep it from freezing up 

ETA I always run it in the "-" position reguadless of usesimg it suppressed or not. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe this has already been asked but is the gray color anodizing ala old Colt M16 or some type of paint/coating?
View Quote
Sorry, overlooked this one.  It is anodizing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
Is there any change in the diameter to the 300 BLK barrel?
View Quote
All barrels are slightly heavier.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Yeah, it was tough.  Not the case with the Virtus - like I mentioned, larger "windows" in the hand guards and larger paddle on the selector.  Easily done with a finger or your thumb.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#30]
@coregon how long until the uppers are available?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
And the newer virtus barrels if we want to change out from our existing barrels?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#32]
View All Quotes
And the newer virtus barrels if we want to change out from our existing barrels?
Honestly, not sure.  The rifles just started shipping.  Ill try to get an ETA
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Honestly, not sure.  The rifles just started shipping.  Ill try to get an ETA
View Quote
Thanks. 
Are they shipping the barrels with the piece that gives the 90 degree shoulder, or do you still have to buy those separately?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#34]

You're picking up weight in the barrel and hand guard, primarily.  Though, you're picking up slight weight in gas block, bolt, carrier, etc
View Quote
I don't understand mathematically how the 11.5" SBR and 16" carbine both picked up exactly 1 lb. As a matter of physics, the longer barrel and longer handguards should weigh more on the carbine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I don't understand mathematically how the 11.5" SBR and 16" carbine both picked up exactly 1 lb. As a matter of physics, the longer barrel and longer handguards should weigh more on the carbine.
View Quote
Proprietary Sig technology. They used the same materials on their suppressors  
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#36]
@coregon

You are truly a diamond in the rough and a huge asset to this website.  Thank you, first and foremost for taking all this time to post such detailed pics and answer questions.

I may have missed it, but will there be a pistol version of the Virtus and will the only color be the gray? Or will there be black/fde/etc.?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

Im working to confirm this.  I know we posted weights, but going to confirm each config weight differences.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#38]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
@coregon

You are truly a diamond in the rough and a huge asset to this website.  Thank you, first and foremost for taking all this time to post such detailed pics and answer questions.

I may have missed it, but will there be a pistol version of the Virtus and will the only color be the gray? Or will there be black/fde/etc.?  
View Quote
Thank you for the words - just trying to help where I can.  

Yes, pistol and SBR versions are available.  Concrete and FDE are the colors available.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Great pictures, man.  I'm excited to see and hear that the MCX has some door-kickers using it.  My Gen 1 MCX SBR is easily my favorite rifle.  I'm hoping that all of the lower receivers are still the same, should uppers ever come available.  The new Sig grip looks nicer, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for all the info coregon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: willi3d] [#41]

Yeah, it was tough.  Not the case with the Virtus - like I mentioned, larger "windows" in the hand guards and larger paddle on the selector.  Easily done with a finger or your thumb.
View Quote
To be honest, this is pretty much the only improvement I'm interested in the Virtus over the original MCX.  Easier access to the gas plug.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

To be honest, this is pretty much the only improvement I'm interested in the Virtus over the original MCX.  Easier access to the gas plug.
View Quote
Yeah me too although it would be nice to have compatible upper for future barrels too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

View Quote
Mine is very easy to adjust if you have a bullet - just use the bullet tip to push down on the tab.

I guess a bigger cutout would be better if you did not have a bullet. But then why would you be adjusting it with no ammo around?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#44]
https://www.sigsauer.com/

I wish the 'cool guy' model was available as shown in the auto-play video advertisement in the link.  MCX Virtus SBR with a fat M-LOK handguard and a suppressor under the rail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Any issue with the virtuas and aftermarket triggers? Specifically Geissele?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By m6z:
https://www.sigsauer.com/

I wish the 'cool guy' model was available as shown in the auto-play video advertisement in the link.  MCX Virtus SBR with a fat M-LOK handguard and a suppressor under the rail.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
View Quote
I don't think the gun is available yet, so it's unlikely anyone has had any run time with any aftermarket trigger, certainly not long enough to test longevity.  In any case, I doubt it would be different than the original MCX.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
View Quote
I emailed Geissele about this and they recommend their new MCX trigger ONLY - it is engineered differently to account for the bolt carrier geometry and higher bolt speed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Is 'concrete' the same gray shade that we're seeing on the optics?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]
any knowledge yet on whether that gas buster charging handle on the Virtus will be backwards compatible with the MCX?    A solution is desperately needed there.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 4 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top