Page / 69
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
More to follow…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/216696/IMG_6810_jpeg-2813572.JPG
View Quote

How long did this take to come in? Several weeks right?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By doolz:

How long did this take to come in? Several weeks right?
View Quote

6 months
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]

6 months
View Quote

I was close
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
More to follow…
View Quote

Ah!!

Guess I should try calling customer service again!
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

Ah!!

Guess I should try calling customer service again!
View Quote

Just sent you an IM
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
More to follow…
View Quote

Interesting.  That sure looks like the legacy adjustment paddles.  They are interchangeable.  Just surprised to see them on an FO3.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Based on the second pic, looks like a bad round went off inside the chamber. Maybe a squib beforehand?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrAvril:
First time I’ve ever seen this, anyone else?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrOqMyWPIUU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Based on the second pic, looks like a bad round went off inside the chamber. Maybe a squib beforehand?

I’m not seeing anything there that would really indicate anything in particular, it’s just a broken FA housing.  Not sure how you’d get “bad round” or squib considering you’re not seeing any other part of the gun.

The one thing I do notice is the cavity that holds the port door rod is split in two.  I could potentially see a defect in the plastic allowing a crack to form and then a final straw of firing with the dust cover closed exerting enough force (through the carrier forcing open the dust cover) to cause complete failure.

If it was a common problem, I think it would be known by now, so I’d lean towards “one-off” defect during the molding process (so long as the “happened for no reason at all” is accurate).
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Comparing the Virtus and Rattler

Are the bolts the same?
Safety latches?
Charging handles?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:

Are the bolts the same?
Safety latches?
Charging handles?

Thanks
View Quote

Bolts are the same.
Safety latch is the same.
Rattler comes with shorter levers for the charging handle but it can use the same charging handle that the Virtus has.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:

Are the bolts the same?
Safety latches?
Charging handles?

Thanks
View Quote

Sig LVAW, MCX, Virtus, Rattler, and Spear-LT series FAQ
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Did a little more subsonic 300blk testing.  The tl;dr version is the CGS Hyperion vents enough gas to annular space early in the process that it doesn't leave enough gas in the system to adequately function the 6.75" gun with the old F01 piston.  Would love to test with the F03 piston but yall already know how getting one of those is going for me....

MCX Virtus.  2 barrels (6.75" with F01 and 9" with F02).  3 cans (CGS Hyperion, CGS Hyperion K, and Rugged Micro30).  6 subsonic ammo types (Gorilla Ammo 220gr, Remington 220gr, Gorilla Ammo 215gr Berger, Sig Sauer 220gr, Hornady 208gr, Discrete Ballistics 190gr, and one supersonic load, Gorilla Ammo 147gr).  

Test procedure: Load two rounds.  Gun has to cycle, eject, feed and lock back on an empty magazine to pass

The 1 on the chart indicates a failure to pass the test, the 2 is for a pass on the (+) setting and the 3 indicates a pass on the (-) setting.  

The gun:

6.75" barrel testing:

9" barrel testing with the same ammo and suppressors:

Comparing how Remington 220, Discrete Ballistics 190 and Gorilla Ammo 147gr supers performed:

If you are using a higher backpressure can, especially with a longer barrel you should be able to get anything to function in the Virtus on (+).  It's with the short barrel and lower backpressure (for lack of a better term) that I can see others having issues like I did.  I suspect all the newer flowthrough cans from oss/hux and copycats would also struggle, but I don't have one to test.  Would also love to test the F03 valve with the Hyperion but.....well.....Sig doing Sig things, eff me for buying a 6.75" barrel too early on in their consumer beta testing I guess.  

Hope this helps someone else, I found it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Did a little more subsonic 300blk testing.  The tl;dr version is the CGS Hyperion vents enough gas to annular space early in the process that it doesn't leave enough gas in the system to adequately function the 6.75" gun with the old F01 piston.  Would love to test with the F03 piston but yall already know how getting one of those is going for me....

MCX Virtus.  2 barrels (6.75" with F01 and 9" with F02).  3 cans (CGS Hyperion, CGS Hyperion K, and Rugged Micro30).  6 subsonic ammo types (Gorilla Ammo 220gr, Remington 220gr, Gorilla Ammo 215gr Berger, Sig Sauer 220gr, Hornady 208gr, Discrete Ballistics 190gr, and one supersonic load, Gorilla Ammo 147gr).  

Test procedure: Load two rounds.  Gun has to cycle, eject, feed and lock back on an empty magazine to pass

The 1 on the chart indicates a failure to pass the test, the 2 is for a pass on the (+) setting and the 3 indicates a pass on the (-) setting.  

The gun:
https://i.imgur.com/CkrkAhs.jpg

6.75" barrel testing:
https://i.imgur.com/qfjLsfd.png

9" barrel testing with the same ammo and suppressors:
https://i.imgur.com/Cf1Z0o8.png

Comparing how Remington 220, Discrete Ballistics 190 and Gorilla Ammo 147gr supers performed:
https://i.imgur.com/YetsLIs.png

If you are using a higher backpressure can, especially with a longer barrel you should be able to get anything to function in the Virtus on (+).  It's with the short barrel and lower backpressure (for lack of a better term) that I can see others having issues like I did.  I suspect all the newer flowthrough cans from oss/hux and copycats would also struggle, but I don't have one to test.  Would also love to test the F03 valve with the Hyperion but.....well.....Sig doing Sig things, eff me for buying a 6.75" barrel too early on in their consumer beta testing I guess.  

Hope this helps someone else, I found it interesting.
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

IM sent.
View Quote

Super gracious of you and I appreciate it.  Sent a response, will definitely take you up on it this fall if possible.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok...so where do I get one of those F03 valves?   Sig store just showed F01 and F02 for a whopping $149!   But no F03......

Sucks that I have to buy this thing just to get my 6.75 tacops to be consistent.....typical Sig....
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Ok...so where do I get one of those F03 valves?   Sig store just showed F01 and F02 for a whopping $149!   But no F03......

Sucks that I have to buy this thing just to get my 6.75 tacops to be consistent.....typical Sig....
View Quote

just call them. theyve always taken care of me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

just call them. theyve always taken care of me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

That is some awesome testing, does the Hyperion fit under the SD handguard?  Looking at the specs the can is 1.75" and the SD handguard ID is 1.75.  I was wanting to run the SD handguard for my CGS Helios QD but I didn't think it would fit.  Thank you ahead of time
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Fate0n3:

That is some awesome testing, does the Hyperion fit under the SD handguard?  Looking at the specs the can is 1.75" and the SD handguard ID is 1.75.  I was wanting to run the SD handguard for my CGS Helios QD but I didn't think it would fit.  Thank you ahead of time
View Quote

The Helios and Hyperion both fit just fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Fate0n3:

View Quote

Yes, hyperion fits with room to spare to mount accessories
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not sure at this point how many emails/calls I've made about trying to buy a F03 piston, but today must be my lucky day because it finally worked.  

Granted, first I was told that forum members who claim to have convinced Sig to send them a F03 like several of yall have are "wackadoos who are probably lying".  

Hopefully mine doesn't take 6 months to come in like SDMs did, but when it finally arrives I will repeat all the testing I did on the 6.75" with the F01 piston using the same suppressors, same ammo, and the F03 piston instead.  Hopefully it improves function with several of the subsonic loads the F01 piston struggled with.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure at this point how many emails/calls I've made about trying to buy a F03 piston, but today must be my lucky day because it finally worked.  

Granted, first I was told that forum members who claim to have convinced Sig to send them a F03 like several of yall have are "wackadoos who are probably lying".  

Hopefully mine doesn't take 6 months to come in like SDMs did, but when it finally arrives I will repeat all the testing I did on the 6.75" with the F01 piston using the same suppressors, same ammo, and the F03 piston instead.  Hopefully it improves function with several of the subsonic loads the F01 piston struggled with.  

View Quote

Let’s gooooooo. Looking forward to seeing your results bro.

I am 100% a whackadoodle
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Let’s gooooooo. Looking forward to seeing your results bro.

I am 100% a whackadoodle
View Quote

I had to laugh at that one pretty hard

Ridiculous what it took to get a part they ship standard with new 6.75” barrels, but I’m glad its finally coming.

While I’m waiting on that, decided to see what kind of poi shift I got from every 300blk load I currently have at 25y.  Mosty curiosity, partially because I want to shoot some close up drills and it would be nice if something cheaper hit close to poa/poi as the barnes 100 tac tx the gun is zeroed for.

9 supersonic loads, 8 subsonic, all hitting within a fist.  Supersonic loads were all within 2” or less of poi of my zero’d load, which will be good enough for a/c zone drills.

Also good to know any random magazine I grab should be “close enough” at in home distances just in case the world ends and I run out of the good stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 12:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brazos609] [#23]
While I’m waiting on that, decided to see what kind of poi shift I got from every 300blk load I currently have at 25y.
View Quote

@74novaman
How about listing loads 1-16 for us.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By brazos609:

@74novaman
How about listing loads 1-16 for us.
View Quote

1) Gorilla Ammo Barnes 110gr Tac TX
2) Gorilla Ammo 147gr
3) Gorilla Ammo 125gr
4) American Eagle 150gr
5) Barnes 120gr
6) Sig 120gr* (called flyer)
7) Hornady 110gr V Max
8) Remington 150gr
9) Winchester 147gr
10) Gorilla Ammo 215gr Berger
11) Gorilla Ammo 220gr
12) Remington 220gr
13) Sig 220gr
14) S&B 200gr
15) Hornady 208gr
16) Discrete Ballistics 190gr
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#25]

My F03 gas valve came in and I was able to do some additional testing with it.  

To recap my earlier testing, the 6.75" 300blk barrel with the F01 valve and full size CGS Hyperion with the solid endcap struggled to cycle the weapon using manufacturer recommended settings (-) for supersonic, (+) for subsonic.

Test procedure with both the F01 and F03 pistons was the same: with a freshly cleaned and lubed gun, load two rounds of ammunition in a 20 round Lancer L5AWM 300blk specific magazine.  To pass, gun must eject, cycle, feed the second round and lock back on empty.  

A summary of the F01 results:

Sig 120gr, American Eagle 150gr, Winchester 147gr, Barnes 120 gr supersonic ammo all functioned normally and locked back on empty on the (-) setting.  
Gorilla Ammo 125gr, GA 147 gr, GA 110tac-tx supersonic all would function and lock back magazines reliably, but only on the (+) setting.  

GA 215 Berger, Sig 220gr, and Discrete Ballistics 190gr subsonic all functioned normally and locked back on the (+) setting.
Remington 220gr, Hornady 208gr both cycled on (+) but failed to lock back on empty.  
Gorilla Ammo 220gr failed to even cycle on (+).

When my F03 valve came in I cleaned and lubed the gun then repeated the same function test with the same style magazine and the same ammunition.  

All of the Gorilla Ammo supersonic loads (125gr, 147gr, 110 tac tx) now function and lock back on (-).  

Remington 220gr, Gorilla Ammo 220gr, and Hornady 208gr all cycled and locked back on (+).

All other ammo that was already functioning appropriately on the correct setting continued to do so.  

In summary, IMO the F03 piston is absolutely a must for non traditional cans that use Hyperion tech.  I suspect this also holds true for flow through and other high flow rate suppressors, but I don't own any to test.  

Hopefully that plus the picture with the part number from Sig is helpful to someone.  If you have an older 6.75" barrel with a F01 valve and a more modern tech suppressor, the F03 will likely fix any issues you're having with the gun.  It fixed my issues.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I love a happy ending.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RRAR15:
I love a happy ending.
View Quote

Me too.  

Shame it took this long, but really happy to have it all working because the 6.75+Hyperion under the SD handguard is by far my favorite way to set up the MCX.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
How did you get a F03 gas valve if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]
How did you get a F03 gas valve if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote

Multiple, multiple calls and emails to sig customer service asking them to not abandon those of us dumb enough to buy a 6.75" barrel before the update until I finally got someone on the phone willing to place the order.  They wanted me to send the gun in.  I had to fight that, because Sig already knows whats wrong and I know what was wrong: it needed a F03 to function with a high flow suppressor.   There was no need to send the gun in.  They finally let me buy a F03 and got it shipped out to me.  

I believe the current 6.75" x change kit comes with both the F01 and F03 so you can make it work for whatever suppressor you have.  

It was just us early adapters that didn't also manage to snag a SRD762 before they quit making them that got left holding the bag.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Gotcha.  Thanks for that.

I am unlucky in my pursuit to get a F03 valve.  I do have a SRD can for my F01 valve but it’s ammo picky.    
Is what it is…I don’t plan on buying anything else Sig anyways….
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Are these valves labeled? I haven't even looked at mine to see what it is, but I haven't had any cycling issues yet.

Current setup
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#32]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:I believe the current 6.75" x change kit comes with both the F01 and F03 so you can make it work for whatever suppressor you have.
View Quote

I can confirm this is the case.

My F03 gas valve came in and I was able to do some additional testing with it.

In summary, IMO the F03 piston is absolutely a must for non traditional cans that use Hyperion tech.  I suspect this also holds true for flow through and other high flow rate suppressors, but I don't own any to test.  
View Quote

Super stoked everything worked out man. I was not able to get my Hyperion + 6.75" combo to reliably cycle subs, even with the F03... tried a second 6.75" bbl assembly with similar results. My 9" CALX has been 100% reliable however and I can live with the extra 2.25". I have a Full Nelson pending that will go on my 6.75".

I am unlucky in my pursuit to get a F03 valve.  I do have a SRD can for my F01 valve but it’s ammo picky.    
Is what it is…I don’t plan on buying anything else Sig anyways….
View Quote

That sucks dude. Will forward you the IM I sent @74novaman
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sbye:
Are these valves labeled? I haven't even looked at mine to see what it is, but I haven't had any cycling issues yet.

Current setup
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260726/1000005878-2980661.jpg
View Quote

Yep, they are marked on top.  Is that a Sig SRD can?  If so you probably wont have any issues with the old F01.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Super stoked everything worked out man. I was not able to get my Hyperion + 6.75" combo to reliably cycle subs, even with the F03... tried a second 6.75" bbl assembly with similar results. My 9" CALX has been 100% reliable however and I can live with the extra 2.25". I have a Full Nelson pending that will go on my 6.75".

View Quote

Thanks, me too!  Always loved the gun but love it even more now.  

Dang, sorry to hear that on your function issues.  My uneducated guess is the early venting in the Hyperion robs enough gas from the system to cause cycling issues.

Full Nelson will probably work since its a higher backpressure can, but still nice and quiet.

Did you try any of the same ammo I did with the 6.75”+hyperion combo or other loads?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sbye:

Current setup
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260726/1000005878-2980661.jpg
View Quote

LVAW looking very nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Yep, they are marked on top.  Is that a Sig SRD can?  If so you probably wont have any issues with the old F01.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, it's the longer Ti can. I'll have to check it out tonight and see what is on it. Thanks!

LVAW looking very nice.

Thanks! I love it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks, me too!  Always loved the gun but love it even more now.  

Dang, sorry to hear that on your function issues.  My uneducated guess is the early venting in the Hyperion robs enough gas from the system to cause cycling issues.

Full Nelson will probably work since its a higher backpressure can, but still nice and quiet.

Did you try any of the same ammo I did with the 6.75”+hyperion combo or other loads?
View Quote

I’ve played around with Discreet Ballistics 190gr, Winchester 200gr, and Ammo Inc 220gr. My Hyperion / F03 combo is on the bleeding edge of reliability. The difference between cycling on the 6.75” and 9” barrel is night and day.  

I have some other .30 cal cans but I prefer the Hyperion for the weight and sound performance. The Q Half Nelson offers comparable performance in Pew Science testing so I won’t be giving up much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I might try a J02 gas valve and see how that works on the 6.75". The "-" setting is overkill for supers but it should edge out the F03 for subs on "+".
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:05:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#39]
Link error.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone chop their Virtus to 14.5”? Any issues with this?
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BOONEA] [#41]
Currently running the Virtus with SRD
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:

Pardon my ignorance, but which SRD is that? Stainless? Ti? 10 baffle? 14 baffle?

Whatever it is, it's terrible and should be sent to me for disposal

View Quote

It's the SRD762Ti I believe its 14 baffles. It's very quiet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Snagged a canebreak rattler, and of course the short legacy rattler handguards are OOS everywhere and likely discontinued.

So if anyone has a spare they want to sell, let me know.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#45]
So - should I be using a “G” marked latch if I am running a BCM PNT trigger in a legacy MCX?
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:
So - should I be using a “G” marked latch if I am running a BCM PNT trigger in a legacy MCX?
View Quote

Yes correct. G marked latch for anything other than a MCX specific trigger.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BlueShirtGuy:

Yes correct. G marked latch for anything other than a MCX specific trigger.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#48]
All the recent LVAW pics made me breakdown and order a Wilcox riser kit from OwnTheNight.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:58:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperGumbi] [#49]
I might try a J02 gas valve and see how that works on the 6.75". The "-" setting is overkill for supers but it should edge out the F03 for subs on "+".
View Quote

Is there any resource you can point me to that shows the sizes or what order the gas plugs are in?

I have a legacy MCX 300 BLK 16" barrel with E05 gas plug and I would really like to get a more restrictive plug to try and soften the recoil with supers. It is over gassed even on the "-" setting with supers.

@SMFdarkangel
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:

Is there any resource you can point me to that shows the sizes or what order the gas plugs are in?

I have a legacy MCX 300 BLK 16" barrel with E05 gas plug and I would really like to get a more restrictive plug to try and soften the recoil with supers. It is over gassed even on the "-" setting with supers.

@SMFdarkangel
View Quote

https://sheffieldtactical.com/f/sig-mcx-gas-plug-port-sizes

Good luck with your search. Sounds like legacy and Virtus parts are already drying up.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 68 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top