User Panel

Site Notices
MCX Spear (Page 26 of 28)
Page / 28
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WTR_Warlord:
Anyone here any rumors on when Sig will release the 6.8/Fury barrels?
View Quote

This is what I'm looking into, hopefully by the time the form 4 clears they will be available.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#2]
The Razor on my Spear had a little hair or something on an inside lens, so I sent it back to Vortex for warranty sevice (they were great, btw).

Got it back a few weeks ago but I've been busy, finally had a chance to sight it in today.

Shot another 60 rounds with the Geiselle MCX SSA trigger and it ran fine once again.

Still probably a 1.5moa gun in my hands, I did have a string of rounds that basically all stacked on top of one another but I don't believe I can repeat that.

Still a very pleasant and easy shooting gun.

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
The Razor on my Spear had a little hair or something on an inside lens, so I sent it back to Vortex for warranty sevice (they were great, btw).

Got it back a few weeks ago but I've been busy, finally had a chance to sight it in today.

Shot another 60 rounds with the Geiselle MCX SSA trigger and it ran fine once again.

Still probably a 1.5moa gun in my hands, I did have a string of rounds that basically all stacked on top of one another but I don't believe I can repeat that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1699656355180-3022793.jpg
View Quote
I made this group when sighting it in, but had trouble duplicating it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/356105/IMG_1991_jpeg-3024035.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1699656355180-3022793.jpg

Haha, yeah that's pretty good.

Mine was a first shot that was a little high and to the right, I adjusted the scope and then 4 rounds were almost in the same hole.

I thought I was missing the target so I brought it back in to look at it and was surprised.

All subsequent 5 round groups weren't as impressive.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Nice group! Federal 168smk?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jerad:

Nice group! Federal 168smk?
View Quote
No.

It was some deer load. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I finally decided to order a cross stock and give it a shot. I think it’s pretty awesome! I put the SPEAR stock on my LT and used the hinge from my LT to attach the cross stock. I’ll probably have it cerecoated coyote to match, because why not…

Going out for yotes tomorrow and deer on Saturday, hopefully they each get a kill!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally decided to order a cross stock and give it a shot. I think it’s pretty awesome! I put the SPEAR stock on my LT and used the hinge from my LT to attach the cross stock. I’ll probably have it cerecoated coyote to match, because why not…

Going out for yotes tomorrow and deer on Saturday, hopefully they each get a kill!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_5905_jpeg-3045596.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_5907_jpeg-3045597.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]

I like the angle of that stock better! I can’t use the cheek raiser or I’m out of luck.

What’s the ETA on that bad boy?!
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#10]
All I wanted was the MCX-MR stock, but I'm afraid it flew too close to the sun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Bagged a Doe for late Doe season with my SPEAR this morning, 75 yards off hand, she went down about 5 feet from where I shot her.

Attachment Attached File

Here was my LT from Friday night

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice.  I'm regretting not shooting those cow elk that Ben and I saw.  That would have been a sweet pic with the SPEAR.

Great kills!
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#13]
So for the guys here that have the spear, how do you like it so far? Was the cost of the rifle worth it in the long run. Seriously considering downsizing a bit and adding one to the stable. I just bought the MCX Spear LT and so far really liking it. I got my hand on a 308 spear the other day and really liked the feel of it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
So for the guys here that have the spear, how do you like it so far? Was the cost of the rifle worth it in the long run. Seriously considering downsizing a bit and adding one to the stable. I just bought the MCX Spear LT and so far really liking it. I got my hand on a 308 spear the other day and really liked the feel of it.
View Quote

I love mine. It’s very quickly becoming one of my most favorite rifles, especially now that I’ve cut mine down to 13.9” and pinned and welded. It’s just flat out cool, everything about it is cool. Its solved everything about the SCAR a lot of people didn’t like and it’s more functional as a rifle/carbine/DMR than people give it credit for.

Always a head turner at the range, and shoots as good as it looks. I don’t regret buying a Spear at all.

Get one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ErauRifleman:

I love mine. It’s very quickly becoming one of my most favorite rifles, especially now that I’ve cut mine down to 13.9” and pinned and welded. It’s just flat out cool, everything about it is cool. Its solved everything about the SCAR a lot of people didn’t like and it’s more functional as a rifle/carbine/DMR than people give it credit for.

Always a head turner at the range, and shoots as good as it looks. I don’t regret buying a Spear at all.

Get one.
View Quote

Any photos of the chop?? I assumed with the longer gas system and hand guard the barrel couldn’t go back that short.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Get one.
View Quote

Who did you go with for the barrel chop and did you have to mess with the adjustable gas block at all?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 1:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ErauRifleman] [#17]

Any photos of the chop?? I assumed with the longer gas system and hand guard the barrel couldn’t go back that short.
View All Quotes

Get one.

Sorry for the crap photo, best I got

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:

Who did you go with for the barrel chop and did you have to mess with the adjustable gas block at all?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:

Get one.

Went with Dave Wilson for the chop, he did a fantastic job. I did not have to mess with the gas block itself but the gas port needed to get opened up from 0.0625 to ~0.070
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#19]

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/ta8jad.jpg
View All Quotes

Get one.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/ta8jad.jpg

Damn, that looks good. Seriously wish I was able to find one, back when I had close to the amount for it. No way in hell I can afford one now, ugh!
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Damn, that looks good. Seriously wish I was able to find one, back when I had close to the amount for it. No way in hell I can afford one now, ugh!
View Quote

Damn that does look good. I have a hell of a C&R collection and no kids to give them too. Thinking about grabbing one then selling off my collection to put that money back in my savings. Its a lot to think about. Then I have to get Glass and I just dropped some serious coin on the MCX Spear LT. thing is I would like to have a hand full of rifles I love to shoot versus 50 that I do not if that makes sense. Getting older and you realize that having everything just does not work. Better to have quality over quantity.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Any word on 6.8 barrels yet?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#22]
Sig has really nailed it with the Spear XM7
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:32:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#23]
Couple of good things here with Sig’s notorious record

1.  The design should be robust enough so the recalls are minimized
2.  Since the rifle was adapted by the military, Sig will not be able to roll changes at will

I got one the way.  Should be here by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm hoping they will release the shorter rail as an add-on ... would like to have the gas block exposed ... like that look ...
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
I'm hoping they will release the shorter rail as an add-on ... would like to have the gas block exposed ... like that look ...
View Quote

I’d be happy if they just released the 6.8 barrels already
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#26]

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/kxyi2q.jpg
View All Quotes

Get one.

What's the weight of that with a full mag?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

View All Quotes

Get one.

The first thing that came to mind is man that looks heavy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

View All Quotes

Get one.

It is heavy my Spear hits the scales at over 13lbs. Pretty basic setup

16”
Tango 6T on Scalarworks mount
Magpul MS1 sling
Mbus pro offset sights
Magpul handstop
Pmag 20 with 20 rounds
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]

16”
Magpul MS1 sling
Mbus pro offset sights
Magpul handstop
Pmag 20 with 20 rounds
View All Quotes

Get one.

16”
Magpul MS1 sling
Mbus pro offset sights
Magpul handstop
Pmag 20 with 20 rounds

Oof-da.  I'm out.    

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

My bathroom scale says it’s 12.9lbs without a mag, so probably pushing 13-14 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked one up.  Very impressive rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#32]
I had my CROSS stock ceracoated, Charger Arms did a great job. I sent them my LT stock and asked them to match it. My SPEAR is many colors so that shade was as good as any.

To make the CROSS stock work you have to trim the cheek rest, no big deal. Also with my cheek bones and Condition One mount, I have to mount the hinge a bit low or else even with the cheek rest flat it’s hard to get low enough on the scope.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#33]
I had my CROSS stock ceracoated, Charger Arms did a great job. I sent them my LT stock and asked them to match it. My SPEAR is many colors so that shade was as good as any.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7610-3101388.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7608-3101381.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7605-3101382.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7607-3101385.jpg

To make the CROSS stock work you have to trim the cheek rest, no big deal. Also with my cheek bones and Condition One mount, I have to mount the hinge a bit low or else even with the cheek rest flat it’s hard to get low enough on the scope.

View Quote

This stock looks like a great option for the Spear

Attachment Attached File

Samson SAS stock
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7610-3101388.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7608-3101381.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7605-3101382.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_7607-3101385.jpg

To make the CROSS stock work you have to trim the cheek rest, no big deal. Also with my cheek bones and Condition One mount, I have to mount the hinge a bit low or else even with the cheek rest flat it's hard to get low enough on the scope.

This stock looks like a great option for the Spear

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476203/IMG_0028_jpeg-3106602.JPG

Samson SAS stock
Maybe it's just me, but what is with 1913 folding stocks costing so damn much? 2-400 is the norm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably because they star off as a fairly large piece of billet of Al.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:
Probably because they star off as a fairly large piece of billet of Al.
View Quote

Price is high but I assume cost of manufacturing this is probably near $200 with machine time and material and labor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:09:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#37]

It is certainly another option. I do not like that the body of it is two piece. The Sig cross stock is very solid and provides more adjustability than the Sampson unit.

I was honestly expecting Sig to release some kind of precision rifle stock for the MCX series at shot show. It seems like a giant gap in their offerings and easily adapted from the cross stock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Sig doesn’t go to SHOT Show.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

They do the media and range day portions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#40]
A friend of mine close to a rep for Sig said that they "no longer need to" advertise at Shot show as the ends don't justify the means for them now.

I was told it costs close to a few million dollars (all expenses included) to run a booth at shot show for the entirety of the event...

On a side note, do we think the B.R.E from Samson is a better piece than SIG's receiver extension? I'm intrigued and almost ready to buy it to try out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By doolz:
A friend of mine close to a rep for Sig said that they "no longer need to" advertise at Shot show as the ends don't justify the means for them now.

I was told it costs close to a few million dollars (all expenses included) to run a booth at shot show for the entirety of the event...

On a side note, do we think the B.R.E from Samson is a better piece than SIG's receiver extension? I'm intrigued and almost ready to buy it to try out.
View Quote

Besides looking cool what would make it better than the factory provided receiver extension?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

BRE doesn't add any value besides maybe looking cool for some ... I wonder if we ... the users ... sometimes just trying to find things to change for the sake of changing (I am guilty of this myself with optics) ...
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Got to play with both the 13" and 16" at Copper Custom earlier (one of my local shops). Holy shit, I need to get one. They had those plus a few LT's and Rattlers, and omg do I want a 13" Spear. Not near as heavy as I thought it would be
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
Got to play with both the 13" and 16" at Copper Custom earlier (one of my local shops). Holy shit, I need to get one. They had those plus a few LT's and Rattlers, and omg do I want a 13" Spear. Not near as heavy as I thought it would be
View Quote

They are very handy. It’s a great 308 platform.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Besides looking cool what would make it better than the factory provided receiver extension?
View All Quotes

I guess I mislead with "better" performance-wise versus aesthetics in regards to the BRE and SIG adapters.

Seems like the skeletonized buffer would lead one to believe that there is some weight shaving there but functionally "no" difference.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Incorrect.
View Quote

Well since you’re not at SHOT, can you give us any info on when other barrels may be coming for the SPEAR, or if a PRS stock is in the works?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Well since you’re not at SHOT, can you give us any info on when other barrels may be coming for the SPEAR, or if a PRS stock is in the works?
View All Quotes

Incorrect.

Additional configuration barrels/calibers will be out soon.  

Yes, there are various accessories in the works/coming soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Incorrect.

Acessories ... YES!!!! I'd love a carbon fiber handguard @coregon
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:15:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#50]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By thehun06:

Acessories ... YES!!!! I'd love a carbon fiber handguard @coregon

I would LOVE extended 13.7" barrels for the 13" profile handguard for a p/w 16" OAL.

Also a slimmer profile handguard or something in carbon fiber would be bad ass!
Page / 28
MCX Spear (Page 26 of 28)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top