Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
@coregon

In your opinion what is the future of the 716I? Do you see any positive changes for the future? Any hopes for an SDI type lower or maybe different chamberings? Any possible surprises for the future?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bret:

... until they run out of parts.
View Quote

@Bret
This possibility always exists. Do you know something we don't specifically about the 716I or are we speaking in terms of past SIG Trends?

Most SIG's that have outlived their support were not large military contracted guns but failed projects that needed to go.

If your truly that concerned, you can always buy an additional 716I as a parts gun and I am being serious. I have personally never had a problem getting support from SIG with the only caveat being you must send in the gun. I have also had amazing product support online and had parts shipped out quickly with good emailing and picture proof of the issue. With SIG clear communication and identifying expectations are key. I recently bought an MCX GEN2 W-TAP PATROL and the charging handle was bent and SIG immediately sent out an upgrade free of charge.

If you think the 716I is akin to the 556 series rifles I would argue differently but where the 716I fits in with the SIG Multiverse remains to be seen. Soon I feel more will come, but I could be wrong. We shall see.

The 716I is still the best bang for the buck with solid big boy rifles IMO! I'd still like to hear different if that's how anyone sees it and why? Also, has anyone actually had a parts issue besides something being shipped out from the factory missing a part or not properly installed?
What issues have any of the group had with the 716I?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bret] [#3]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:
@Bret
This possibility always exists. Do you know something we don't specifically about the 716I or are we speaking in terms of past SIG Trends?
View Quote

No.  I'm just talking about Sig's history of not providing parts for their legacy firearms.  I have two Sig 55X rifles and a piston AR15 upper that I can't get parts for.  Add to that inadequate product development and the resulting rolling product changes and it's just not a company I want to do business with anymore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:38:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#4]

No.  I'm just talking about Sig's history of not providing parts for their legacy firearms.  I have two Sig 55X rifles and a piston AR15 upper that I can't get parts for.  Add to that inadequate product development and the resulting rolling product changes and it's just not a company I want to do business with anymore.
View Quote

@Bret

Sorry to hear that bro I do understand. I had a Gen1 556 SWAT FDE and I still have a Gen2 556R 7.62x39 rifle. When I've had issues in the past I was able to send in my guns for repairs specifically the 556R most recently. What repairs are needed and what support can they not provide?

I am assuming the piston AR-15 is a 516G1 or 516G2 URG. What is the problem there and what are they not able to help you with? You should have no issues since the 516G2 is still being sold on their LE/MIL catalog.

Also are you willing to send the rifles or URG in to be serviced, regardless of whether you are the original owner or not?

I know it doesn't change the past but SIG is a different company IMO and they made some decisions some are not happy with to become what they are now. You should give them another chance one day but don't give up on the rifles you currently have of theirs either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I was able to order spare parts for my 716i when I contacted customer service.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
What repairs are needed and what support can they not provide?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What repairs are needed and what support can they not provide?

No repairs are needed to my 556 Classic or 556 Classic SBR.  I'm reluctant to shoot them because they won't sell spare parts.  I don't know what their inventory is or when it will run out.  The send in the rifle thing works until they run out.  I like having spare parts for my guns.  If a company won't let me give them money in exchange for spare parts, I just prefer to shop elsewhere.

I am assuming the piston AR-15 is a 516G1 or 516G2 URG. What is the problem there and what are they not able to help you with? You should have no issues since the 516G2 is still being sold on their LE/MIL catalog.

It's a 516G2 URG.  Again, no problem now.  Hopefully, it still being sold to LE/MIL will keep the parts available.  I've shot it a few times on my M16, but don't want to push my luck.  

Also are you willing to send the rifles or URG in to be serviced, regardless of whether you are the original owner or not?

Yes, if it's covered under warranty and they pay for shipping.  However, I don't like spending $40 to ship a gun for repair when I can just buy a replacement parts for less.  The holding the parts hostage thing until you send it in is BS.  I can understand if there's a potential safety issue, but spare part requirements don't fall into this category.  The really good companies will just send you a part if you tell them what's wrong and/or send them a picture.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]

No repairs are needed to my 556 Classic or 556 Classic SBR.  I'm reluctant to shoot them because they won't sell spare parts.  I don't know what their inventory is or when it will run out.  The send in the rifle thing works until they run out.  I like having spare parts for my guns.  If a company won't let me give them money in exchange for spare parts, I just prefer to shop elsewhere.

It's a 516G2 URG.  Again, no problem now.  Hopefully, it still being sold to LE/MIL will keep the parts available.  I've shot it a few times on my M16, but don't want to push my luck.  

Yes, if it's covered under warranty and they pay for shipping.  However, I don't like spending $40 to ship a gun for repair when I can just buy a replacement parts for less.  The holding the parts hostage thing until you send it in is BS.  I can understand if there's a potential safety issue, but spare part requirements don't fall into this category.  The really good companies will just send you a part if you tell them what's wrong and/or send them a picture.  
View Quote

I respect your point and agree it would be nice to be able to buy spares for a reasonable price. I purchased parts kits when they were available pre pandemic for under $40 and during the pandemic they were being sold for $200 which is ridiculous. Back then there were parts available just extremely expensive. Honestly just like with the 716I it is best to just buy another rifle for parts. It's probably cheaper than the à la carte price per part after all costs.

@scottfn308
What spares did you buy and how much were they?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]

@scottfn308
View Quote

Good questions! Standing by for an answer.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By swamp_fighter:

Good questions! Standing by for an answer.

View Quote

So what parts are interchangeable and what are proprietary?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

So what parts are interchangeable and what are proprietary?
View Quote

Honestly the whole gun is proprietary with the exception of Stock, Receiver Extension, Castle Nut, Trigger, Selector, and the Muzzle Device. The Upper and Lower, BCG, Barrel, Barrel Nut, and Handguard are all Proprietary.

In SIG's defense, your probably better off with it being proprietary because their quality, specs and finishes are better than most!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]

@scottfn308
View Quote

I got 2 firing pins at $50 each.
several firing pin retaining pins at $8 as I recall.  (could have been a bit less)
I also ordered some various small pins and springs such as extractor pin, ejector spring and pin.

They did say the whole bolt carrier group was available for purchase but not just the bolt itself.  
I chose not to get that since it was $250.00 as I recall.  

Hope this helps,

Scott
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By scottfn308:

I got 2 firing pins at $50 each.
several firing pin retaining pins at $8 as I recall.  (could have been a bit less)
I also ordered some various small pins and springs such as extractor pin, ejector spring and pin.

They did say the whole bolt carrier group was available for purchase but not just the bolt itself.  
I chose not to get that since it was $250.00 as I recall.  

Hope this helps,

Scott
View Quote

@scottfn308
I remember you mentioning this but I need to update the main page to add all the info and updates since this thread was started! The 716I has really grown into its skin and since inception has been a solid rifle.

@All 716I Thread Posters

Thanks to all of you for contributing your experiences! You have all made this thread a worthwhile read for information. Take care to you all and keep sharing!
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]

@scottfn308
I remember you mentioning this but I need to update the main page to add all the info and updates since this thread was started! The 716I has really grown into its skin and since inception has been a solid rifle.

View Quote

No worries.  Hope it helped.  

They were expensive, but since I use this rifle for work occasionally, I wanted to have spares on hand in case it went down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
$50 Firing Pin.. Wowza
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MFS1589:
$50 Firing Pin.. Wowza
View Quote

Yep.  My thoughts as well.   But what you gonna do ?  
They the only ones got them.   Just different enough so none of the others around will work.

But, I may still try to modify a DPMS pattern one to see if I can get it to function.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
@coregon

I am sure you have been busy with SHOT and I apologize for being a pain in the ass, but can you please give us a heads up on the future of the 716I?

Will SIG possibly be dropping any different chamberings or barrel lengths?

Will India's Tender cancellation cause any issues for domestic production?

Overall how well has the 716I performed within SIG's catalog and what are the plans for it in the future?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#17]
Thought you guys might like to see some pics inside the barrel of my 716i. It has 700ish rounds of mostly M80 ball through it, most unsuppressed but maybe 100 with the can on. Fortunately POI shift with the can is minimal, maybe 1 MOA tops. Enough for me not to care for plinking at steel or hunting out to 400.

Crown - didn't focus well but in the Camera app it looks awesome

Rifling about 1" from the muzzle. I have not removed any copper fouling from the bore. My cleaning consists of a really oily bore snake It is very smooth.

Gas port is right on a groove.

About halfway down the bore. Again a little copper fouling.

Chamber throat. Damn camera did not focus for the still, but again in the app it is smooth with no burs or machine marks.

Compared to other mass produced button cut barrels I have this is one of the best. Only barrels that are smoother are CHF. The lack of gas port erosion is interesting. I suspect it's a combination of the rifle length gas system and the lower velocity of the .308 compared to a .223.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jhon:
Thought you guys might like to see some pics inside the barrel of my 716i. It has 700ish rounds of mostly M80 ball through it, most unsuppressed but maybe 100 with the can on. Fortunately POI shift with the can is minimal, maybe 1 MOA tops. Enough for me not to care for plinking at steel or hunting out to 400.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_35_Pro-2687323.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_39_Pro-2687324.jpg
Rifling about 1" from the muzzle. I have not removed any copper fouling from the bore. My cleaning consists of a really oily bore snake It is very smooth.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_48_Pro-2687325.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_54_Pro-2687326.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_21_31_Pro-2687327.jpg
Chamber throat. Damn camera did not focus for the still, but again in the app it is smooth with no burs or machine marks.

Compared to other mass produced button cut barrels I have this is one of the best. Only barrels that are smoother are CHF. The lack of gas port erosion is interesting. I suspect it's a combination of the rifle length gas system and the lower velocity of the .308 compared to a .223.
View Quote

@jhon

Great write up and pics.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#19]
@coregon

Any chance I'll be able to get a 716I .277 or 6.5CR URG in the future? Come on give us just a little peek on the future!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#20]
@coregon

Any chance I'll be able to get a 716I .277 or 6.5CR URG in the future? Come on give us just a little peek on the future!
View Quote

Oh, I’m sure we’re working on some other stuff…
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Oh, I’m sure we’re working on some other stuff…
View Quote

@coregon

I'll take it... Sorry to be a nuisance. I am sure with the SPEAR and MCX LT, Cross and who knows what other magic you guys are whipping up, that you all at SIG are working your butts off. I am sure it gets forgotten but thank you for engineering things many of us love.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
So I just ordered an Ambi charging handle from Optics Planet for like 82 bucks delivered just a few days ago. And today while looking through the EE I found a member selling them for 55 bucks delivered NITB, lol...

So if your in the need for a Ambi CH, do a quick search and save yourself some $$$, maybe my bad timing will be your gain

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Thinking on a 7.62 AR…….. the SIG 716 is available locally at a decent price
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
View Quote

Definitely give it a try. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#25]
The S&W M&P10 is highly under rated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I don’t have a 7.62 AR, so I am going to look into them
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#27]

View Quote

Like the previous poster remarked the M&P10 is a great value and so is the Saint Victor .308, the Ruger SFAR, the Aero M5E1, the PSA10, the Savage MSR-10, the OG Armalite AR-10, and the Daniel Defense DDM5. All of these are good rifles with some being better than the others.
We all wonder which one is the best rifle, or offers the best value or offers the best price? That answer will be different for everyone because everyone has different situational needs. I wanted a durable accurate reliable rifle capable or surviving combat or long durations of rapid firing schedules without losing reliability or effectiveness while also being capable of a DMR or CSASS type role without spending KAC or LMT or H&K money, especially since I don't need all those feautures.

I have left out the heavy hitters because they are truly unique rifles and cost several times what the rifles above cost and for good reasons. They come from Top Teir manufacturers and represent some of the finest guns built. This is where the SIG shines in my opinion... It bridges the gap between top and bottom giving you the most AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle for the money allowing the shooter to be on par in regards to capabilities, while still possessing similar unique features that increase its reliability and functionality to what is similarly seen with H&K, KAC, LMT, LaRue, Noveske, etc., type rifles without spending the excess money on the name or additional features you're not using! If SIG had modularity of chamberings and barrel length, along with a Ambidextrous Bolt Catch and Release, SIG would be in the big leagues!

The reality is that with all SIG's military contracts and other innovative products, I wouldn't expect quick change or URG's and spare barrels tomorrow, but within a year all that could change. We just don't know. Certain spare parts are available and sometimes you just have to call in or wait a little while.

Fortunately the gun is built well so it's not like parts are always breaking and since 2019 when the 716I project came to life there have been no issues with the gun. Although If you want barrels and receivers on hand for spares get a second 716I in my opinion. Good luck choosing. If you are LE or Mil there are a few places that offer special pricing.

Let us know what you choose.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Like the previous poster remarked the M&P10 is a great value and so is the Saint Victor .308, the Ruger SFAR, the Aero M5E1, the PSA10, the Savage MSR-10, the OG Armalite AR-10, and the Daniel Defense DDM5. All of these are good rifles with some being better than the others.
We all wonder which one is the best rifle, or offers the best value or offers the best price? That answer will be different for everyone because everyone has different situational needs. I wanted a durable accurate reliable rifle capable or surviving combat or long durations of rapid firing schedules without losing reliability or effectiveness while also being capable of a DMR or CSASS type role without spending KAC or LMT or H&K money, especially since I don't need all those feautures.

I have left out the heavy hitters because they are truly unique rifles and cost several times what the rifles above cost and for good reasons. They come from Top Teir manufacturers and represent some of the finest guns built. This is where the SIG shines in my opinion... It bridges the gap between top and bottom giving you the most AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle for the money allowing the shooter to be on par in regards to capabilities, while still possessing similar unique features that increase its reliability and functionality to what is similarly seen with H&K, KAC, LMT, LaRue, Noveske, etc., type rifles without spending the excess money on the name or additional features you're not using! If SIG had modularity of chamberings and barrel length, along with a Ambidextrous Bolt Catch and Release, SIG would be in the big leagues!

The reality is that with all SIG's military contracts and other innovative products, I wouldn't expect quick change or URG's and spare barrels tomorrow, but within a year all that could change. We just don't know. Certain spare parts are available and sometimes you just have to call in or wait a little while.

Fortunately the gun is built well so it's not like parts are always breaking and since 2019 when the 716I project came to life there have been no issues with the gun. Although If you want barrels and receivers on hand for spares get a second 716I in my opinion. Good luck choosing. If you are LE or Mil there are a few places that offer special pricing.

View All Quotes

With multiple 5.56 AR rifles, I figured it was time to branch out to a big bore
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#29]

With multiple 5.56 AR rifles, I figured it was time to branch out to a big bore
View Quote

That was my thought process and .308 will always be around and It's a good round.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:09:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#30]
I was gifted an Sig Tango MSR 1-10 yesterday and I am mounting it to my 716i. It’s seems like a good fit. It’s nice and clear and the illumination is great. The mount is pretty decent as well. I replaced the Vortex 4-12 since it’s just a bit too much scope and will save that for a future tactical bolt gun purchase.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
I was gifted an Sig Tango MSR 1-10 yesterday and I am mounting it to my 716i. It’s seems like a good fit. It’s nice and clear and the illumination is great. The mount is pretty decent as well. I replaced the Vortex 4-12 since it’s just a bit too much scope and will save that for a future tactical bolt gun purchase.
View Quote

@RABIDFOX50

Smart move! I have the TANGO MSR in all 3 flavors on my wish list. I want either a couple 1x6's or 1-8's for my 16" 5.56 guns and possibly a few 1-8's or 1-10's for my 7.62 guns. I also heard they have a FFP 1-10 TANGO MSR but I don't know much about it yet. I currently own four Philippine made Nikon M-TACTICAL SFP scopes (2x 1-4x24 LPVO's, 1x 3-12x42 and 1x 4-16x42) of which I have no complaints and they perform well on my 5.56 and 7.62 guns. So I am in no hurries to replace them but please report back with how you feel about your TANGO MSR 1-10's performance. I feel the TANGO MSR's are some of the best bangs for the buck in good inexpensive glass aside from some of the Primary Arms scopes.

I currently have a 3-12x42 on my 716I and I have taken off all the extra unnecessary attachments in order to lighten her up. It's not Ruger SFAR lite, but it's not so bad either for what you get.
Attachment Attached File

The extra heft doesn't bother me now but in 20 years will I feel the same? Well until I shit the bed I'll drive on!

I have considered a smaller scope but I recently set up my 716G2 with a ROMEO4T/JULIET4 combo and it seems to serve that gun well so I plan to keep the 716I as a DMR.
Attachment Attached File

Choosing the right optic  for a gun is definitely not child's play and can be maddening. Simply good enough may not bring out the rifle or shooters potential. I am learning slowly and taking my time and soon I think I'll know exactly what is best for me but right now I am still moving things around and trying different setup's before I drop major coin on something I don't fully understand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#32]
The SIG-Sauer Tread 716i: 21st Century Battle Rifle

@goloud

Hop did a great job on his 716I video highlighting features and benefits. Is he an ARF member? I think he summed up how to get the most out the gun and various roles it would serve well in and some it may not. I think he also said it best when he mentioned how you can't get a better rifle for less but it still may not be the right rifle for everyone. Depending on how you plan to configure and use your 716I it could be great or underwhelming.
Throughout this thread are several happy owners who have gotten exactly what they wanted and needed but there are also a few stories of owners who will never be happy with their 716I's and have sold them. What we do know is that even after a few years it is still performing well with no issues!

Good review Hop!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jhon:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_35_Pro-2687323.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_39_Pro-2687324.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_48_Pro-2687325.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_20_54_Pro-2687326.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/WIN_20230127_11_21_31_Pro-2687327.jpg

View Quote

WOW, 700ish? that barrel looks new! I've seen gas port erosion in as little as a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#34]
In the year I've had my 716 the main thing I have enjoyed about it is it seems to be very "soft" shooting for a 7.62 rifle. I've been using it for hunting and punching holes in paper mostly. I have been trying to buy a suppressor for it but every one I decide on seems to be out of stock with no timeframe for return to inventory.

I did replace the "pickle fork" flash suppressor for all the reasons the US services dropped it ages ago. I replaced it with a Smith Enterprises brake because I have those brakes on several other rifles and Ron Smith is a good guy. Geissele trigger because the Sig trigger was pretty awful. Added PSA sling swivels since I walk 20-30 minutes to some of my hides.

For optics I have an older Weaver steel-tube K6 which I've used out to 300 yards, the longest shot on my property.

I'm pretty happy with this rifle. I decided I wanted a semi-auto in 7.62 and after fooling around with all the selection at my LGS, decided on the Sig as I thought the fit and finish was the best.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey fellas I'm sure it's been talked about, but it's late and my eyes are DRY haha.

What are ya'll using for magazines? All I've used in mine are the Magpuls, and I noticed in Hop's long-term-review video he has a metal magazine he's using. Have I been wrong in assuming that Magpul is the only available option???
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Freinds, about what are we seeing on prices for these?
I think I spotted one at the lgs
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Nagsheadlocal:
In the year I've had my 716 the main thing I have enjoyed about it is it seems to be very "soft" shooting for a 7.62 rifle. I've been using it for hunting and punching holes in paper mostly. I have been trying to buy a suppressor for it but every one I decide on seems to be out of stock with no timeframe for return to inventory.

I did replace the "pickle fork" flash suppressor for all the reasons the US services dropped it ages ago. I replaced it with a Smith Enterprises brake because I have those brakes on several other rifles and Ron Smith is a good guy. Geissele trigger because the Sig trigger was pretty awful. Added PSA sling swivels since I walk 20-30 minutes to some of my hides.

For optics I have an older Weaver steel-tube K6 which I've used out to 300 yards, the longest shot on my property.

I'm pretty happy with this rifle. I decided I wanted a semi-auto in 7.62 and after fooling around with all the selection at my LGS, decided on the Sig as I thought the fit and finish was the best.
View Quote

Sounds like you made the right choice. Thanks for sharing. Share a pic whenever you get the opportunity.

Originally Posted By UncleD:
Hey fellas I'm sure it's been talked about, but it's late and my eyes are DRY haha.

What are ya'll using for magazines? All I've used in mine are the Magpuls, and I noticed in Hop's long-term-review video he has a metal magazine he's using. Have I been wrong in assuming that Magpul is the only available option???
View Quote

There are a few options available in both metal and plastic but I cannot recall which are reputable. I have used solely Magpul 10's,20's,25's & D50 drums. All with no issues. You will find answers below.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/121-413443/?

Originally Posted By meistermash:
Freinds, about what are we seeing on prices for these?
I think I spotted one at the lgs
View Quote

Qualified Professionals MIL/LE buyers
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/263849
Best used through retailer
https://gun.deals/product/used-one-available-sig-sauer-716-tread-762-nato-16-barrel-308-ar-10-13490
EE thread  Sold 716I for reference
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/LNIB-SIG-Sauer-716i-Tread-Rifle/120-2336115/

Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#38]
As I posted earlier I removed the 4-12 scope from my 716i and mounted the Sig 1-10 LPVO. After I got it mounted and sighted in, I am very happy with it. I am now thinking that the offset BUIS are not needed. Should I remove them and just run it with the LPVO or would a micro red dot on an offset mount be a better choice?

BTW, I bought a Magpul D50 and it runs flawlessly. Fun too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
As I posted earlier I removed the 4-12 scope from my 716i and mounted the Sig 1-10 LPVO. After I got it mounted and sighted in, I am very happy with it. I am now thinking that the offset BUIS are not needed. Should I remove them and just run it with the LPVO or would a micro red dot on an offset mount be a better choice?

BTW, I bought a Magpul D50 and it runs flawlessly. Fun too.
View Quote

@RABIDFOX50

Hell Yeah! Sounds like your having fun! I would definitely remove the offset BUIS and go to an offset or piggybacked MRDS. I prefer that set up to offset BUIS on guns equipped with and LPVO. Have fun with the D50
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
716i en route. I've read all the pages; thanks for all the info.  My planned build:

EXPS-02 Grn (I have a magnified optic ready if/when needed) but considering the G45
Gemtech Sandstorm (direct thread, Ti)
Geissele SD-E (have this trigger in other rifles and love it)
Heavy Buffer's XH Carbine Buffer and Wolff spring

Intended use will be ringing steel out to ~300, seeing what kind of groups I can print with the ammo I have, and just-for-fun shooting. This isn't my first AR .308 but it seems to check a lot of the boxes that matter to me, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Eames:
716i en route. I've read all the pages; thanks for all the info.  My planned build:

EXPS-02 Grn (I have a magnified optic ready if/when needed) but considering the G45
Gemtech Sandstorm (direct thread, Ti)
Geissele SD-E (have this trigger in other rifles and love it)
Heavy Buffer's XH Carbine Buffer and Wolff spring

Intended use will be ringing steel out to ~300, seeing what kind of groups I can print with the ammo I have, and just-for-fun shooting. This isn't my first AR .308 but it seems to check a lot of the boxes that matter to me, so we'll see.
View Quote

@Eames

Congrats Man and welcome to the group! We look forward to hearing your thoughts so please share your experiences and post some pics one you get your 716I up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nagsheadlocal] [#42]
As requested:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:28:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eames] [#43]
Sig ambi charging handle is in stock at Sig website.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Nagsheadlocal:
As requested:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/570877/761_jpeg-2769544.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful!

Sig ambi charging handle is in stock at Sig website.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Get them while you can fellas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Build is coming along.  The last piece is the ambi charging handle.  It arrived today, but it doesn't fit.  I inspected it, even mic'd it against the standard charging handle (which works just fine) and the measurements are all the same as best I can tell, but it won't go in any further than the nubs on the handle. Jiggled it, lubed it, tried it dry - you name it - no dice.  Called sig and we're doing an RMA for an exchange.  Very odd, and I'm not the brightest, but I'm not so dense that I can't fit a charging handle  .
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Am I waiting for a sale on the standard or snakebite 716i in vain? Or do deals pop up frequently enough to warrant some patience?
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Build is coming along.  The last piece is the ambi charging handle.  It arrived today, but it doesn't fit.  I inspected it, even mic'd it against the standard charging handle (which works just fine) and the measurements are all the same as best I can tell, but it won't go in any further than the nubs on the handle. Jiggled it, lubed it, tried it dry - you name it - no dice.  Called sig and we're doing an RMA for an exchange.  Very odd, and I'm not the brightest, but I'm not so dense that I can't fit a charging handle  .
View Quote

@Eames
I had a Virtus that shipped with a bent CH and it wouldn't seat all the way but similarly to you both SIG and Proven Arms were super quick to remedy. It actually worked out better for me in the end. Look forward to hearing good news soon.

Originally Posted By byzntn:
Am I waiting for a sale on the standard or snakebite 716i in vain? Or do deals pop up frequently enough to warrant some patience?
View Quote

@byzntn
It looking like the SB is holding strong at $1699.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/263849
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/798681622207

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve got a line on the standard black model, gently used with box and mag, for $1400 after shipping and transfer. Was kind of partial to the Snakebite, but not sure if it’s worth another $350-400 more…
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Are there any hardware differences? I can't recall. Assuming mine works well tomorrow it'll get rattle canned anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 6:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: byzntn] [#50]
I may be wrong but I think the SB has muzzle brake instead of FH, maybe a different trigger(?), and that’s it.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top