Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#1]
Going to get it zeroed in Wednesday or Thursdays to get ready to drop some deer this winter. Hopefully it’s not too over gassed. YHM phantom I picked up about 10 years ago and have probably put 50 rounds through.

No, my floor isn’t orange, had to edit color for better clarity.
Attachment Attached File

ETA:
Finally got it zeroed today. This thing does not seem to like PPU 150FMJBT. Got it close and put some Winchester 165SP (hunting ammo) to dial it in. Better than the 150’s and still accurate enough to deer hunt so I’m happy with it.

Shot soft, brass didn’t show any sign of over pressure so I’m calling it good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for my ETA in above post.

What ammo (target and hunting) does your rifle seem to prefer? I don’t have space at the interim house right now to setup my presses or I would have already developed something.

Also, anyone had any adverse effects running suppressed? I’ve got plenty of cans but this is the first semi 308 I’ve thrown one on. Given the fact this thing is nothing but proprietary parts, and a new BCG from SiG is $500 (out of stock) I’d be less that pleased if this thing started spitting out parts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No suppressed drama. Gemtech Sandstorm, older model but still doing well for me. I am running a heavier buffer and spring; maybe not required but it'll always be suppressed so it's been in since day one.

from Clint at Heavy Buffers (also on his website).

"Lastly, for a suppressed Sig 716 with the factory carbine stock I recommend an XH Carbine Buffer (8.5 oz)"

He has a great matrix of options, or just email or call him; super helpful.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:

What ammo (target and hunting) does your rifle seem to prefer?
View Quote

I've posted results upthread but the load I used was 168HPBT with IMR4895 somewhere around 40.5g

This works well in gas guns, I've had better results in bolt guns with IMR4064. The only problem I've had in reloading for gas guns is adjusting for bullet jump. If you load so the bullet is just shy of the lands, the cartridge is often too long for the magazine.

This is a load G David Tubb posted in American Rifleman back in the 90s so credit where credit is due.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 2:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#5]
Anyone experiment with a Sprinco orange spring or other aftermarket recoil springs?

I really don’t like the factory flat wire spring and I was thinking of throwing a Q Trash Panda on it and trying to cut down the R & D costs of trying different combos.

A Sprinco orange and H3 seem logical…

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Going to get it zeroed in Wednesday or Thursdays to get ready to drop some deer this winter. Hopefully it’s not too over gassed. YHM phantom I picked up about 10 years ago and have probably put 50 rounds through.

No, my floor isn’t orange, had to edit color for better clarity.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135766/92B099BE-6D41-45D7-8AD5-D721EDC58DD7_jpe-3006391.JPG

ETA:
Finally got it zeroed today. This thing does not seem to like PPU 150FMJBT. Got it close and put some Winchester 165SP (hunting ammo) to dial it in. Better than the 150’s and still accurate enough to deer hunt so I’m happy with it.

Shot soft, brass didn’t show any sign of over pressure so I’m calling it good.
View Quote

@SERVED_USMC
Thanks for your service Marine and sweet 716I. Looks like your questions have been answered by the group and there's more buried in the past pages. Welcome!

Originally Posted By Just10mm:
Anyone experiment with a Sprinco orange spring or other aftermarket recoil springs?

I really don’t like the factory flat wire spring and I was thinking of throwing a Q Trash Panda on it and trying to cut down the R & D costs of trying different combos.

A Sprinco orange and H3 seem logical…

View Quote

@Just10mm
I wish I had an answer for you but I am still mostly stock except my trigger.

A user at SigTalk had a similar question. Maybe fellow 716I owners can help us out.
Attachment Attached File

Also if anyone has successfully removed a barrel from a 716I please let me know.

Take care.

Dan
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running the spring that Clint sells with the XH.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Eames:
I'm running the spring that Clint sells with the XH.
View Quote

Much appreciated GLD1980, I cruised the thread again and it seems that most people using a can find the stock spring and buffer work just fine.

Eames;

I appreciate the feedback, it looks like a nice set up, just more than I want to spend.

I’m going to try the stock set up first then a Sprinco orange and an extra tungsten weight, both of which I have laying around if it needs tamed a bit.

I’ll report my findings to the group to add another data point.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You may be correct; I usually don't like futzing with too many parameters at once and want it to work right out of the box so I leveraged his experience/advice and bought both.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got around to mounting my Si-Co brake.  Gonna zero it in with some subs in this Saturday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By davis9588:
Finally got around to mounting my Si-Co brake.  Gonna zero it in with some subs in this Saturday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62286/IMG_7089_jpeg-3020178.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62286/IMG_7090_jpeg-3020179.JPG
View Quote

@davis9588

Sweet set-up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Validation?

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#13]
Validation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVQdBvVPlNg
View Quote

Good video.

I considered trading my 716i for a SFAR but ultimately decided not to. I have 600 rounds through my Sig and it just always works.

Also I think the SFAR is going to have long term durability issues being scaled down and running .308. Being built by Ruger is a con as well, their track record on quality is spotty at best.

I’ll just lug the extra pound and enjoy the added durability and reliability.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#14]

I hope SIG invests more into the platform to keep it relevant.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like another 70K 716s are going out to the Indians.

70k 716s to India
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish a spare bcg wasn't $500
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Stonecutter6:

70k 716s to India
View Quote
Uh thought then cancelled that a while back. Looks like they reversed their decision?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By azerious58:
Uh thought then cancelled that a while back. Looks like they reversed their decision?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azerious58:

70k 716s to India

Seems to be the chatter on the Indian Defense Forum too... Good for them! I don't think for the quality and price they're aquiring the 716I there are any competitive choices. Man this gun is SIG's sleeper. Anyone shoot there's lately. I have needed to get out with mine but I have been buying Micro 9s instead of .308. I need to wake up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#19]
Indian Army advances Modernization: To Acquire additional 70,000 American-made SiG Sauer Assault Rifles
Written by Huma Siddiqui, Finincial Express, December 13, 2023 19:50 IST

As part of its modernisation plan Indian Army is set to procure additional 70,000 American-made SiG Sauer assault rifles (7.62×51 mm calibre). The order which is worth around Rs 840 crore is expected to boost the firepower of the troops deployed along the borders.

According to sources in the defence and security establishment, the approval for procuring more assault rifles was given during the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) meeting in New Delhi.

These rifles as reported previously are being bought to replace the INSAS Rifles (5.56 x 45 mm). In 2019, an agreement was inked with the company for around 72,400 Sig Sauer Assault Rifles at a cost of Rs 694 crore and are currently being used by the troops deployed along the borders with China and Pakistan.

Financial Express Online had reported in September 2020 that a deal to procure a second batch of Sig Sauer rifles was approved by the DAC ahead of the 2+2 India – US Ministerial Dialogue. However, the deal at that time could not go through. It is the same pending deal which has been given a go-head signal.

Why the Repeat Order?
Meant for `shoot and kill’ these assault rifles have a longer reach and a better operational ease.

Financial Express Online has reported previously that out of the first order of 72,400 (7.62 x 51mm calibre) SiG Sauer rifles procured – the Indian Army had received 66,400 rifles, Air Force received 4000 and the balance of 2000 the Navy got.

The first order was under the government’s `Buy (Global) category’ which means that an outright purchase can be made of the required equipment from foreign manufacturers. This procurement was through Fast Track Procedure (FTP).

The rifles procured by the Army equipped around 400 infantry battalions and reports in the public domain indicate that two infantry companies which have 100 troops each were given SiG 716.

Why SiG 716?
The decision to opt for the SiG 716 Assault Rifle in 2016 was rooted in a shift in the Indian Army’s operational philosophy, favoring the 7.62 x 51mm caliber for its optimal performance in operations.

Compared to the INSAS Rifle and the AK-47 Rifle, the SiG 716, with its higher caliber, boasts an extended effective range, increased lethality, and higher recoil. Since its induction, the Army has utilized Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) manufactured ammunition with no reported performance issues.

Earlier reports revealed the Army’s shift to locally manufactured 7.62mm machinegun ammunition due to cost concerns associated with the original American bullets. While defence sources downplay its impact on rifle performance, some on-ground sources cite increased recoil, suggesting a need for better quality ammunition.

The SiG 716 rifles come equipped with picatinny rails, enabling the attachment of various accessories like optical sights, under barrel grenade launchers, forehand grips, bipods, and laser pointers without modifying the weapon.

Highlighting advantages over the INSAS, sources note the SiG 716’s automatic firing mode, similar to the AK-47, in contrast to the INSAS rifle’s three-round burst mode. To leverage these features optimally, the Army has procured bipods, enabling versatile use of the weapon and enhancing its effective range.

Following the SiG 716’s induction, efforts to procure day telescopic sights, night sights, thermal imaging, and image intensifiers from indigenous sources have been initiated. These additions aim to further enhance the rifle’s capabilities for various roles and operational scenarios.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]

70k 716s to India
View Quote

I hope the ammo is better than the Indian ammo I buried in the desert.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I hope the ammo is better than the Indian ammo I buried in the desert.
View Quote

Exactly! The Indian MOD tried to pawn the performance issues their 716I's were having on the gun when it was their out of spec low quality ammo. Look at them now though going in for more because the gun is good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:

Anyone shoot there's lately. I have needed to get out with mine I need to wake up.
View Quote
Yep; consistently slamming steel. New rattle can job recently and new glass getting installed soon. Will post pics soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#23]
switched out my LVPO with ADM mount for an Eotech exps3-4 and 5x magnifier for more of a "Heavy Carbine" set up. Plan to get out and get some rounds through it soon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Current setup. Hoping to get out and zero the TA55/RMR soon. So far, it seems like a good match for this rifle. Just under 10.5lbs without the can.

It's a good sign India is ordering more of these. Hopefully that means SIG will continue to support them for the foreseeable future as the 716i is a fantastic general purpose rifle. Not quite the bargain it was 2 years ago, but it's still a good value for a rifle that will work out of the box, is not too heavy, and is reasonably accurate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
New paint (was going for M81) and glass (PA SLX 4-16). She was diiiirty; it'd been a few hundred rounds, all suppressed; no malfs but I had the time so got it done; clean up was easy.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Does Sig make a 556 version of the 716i?  I'd like a little brother, so to speak, for mine.  But I haven't seen a Sig AR with a matching rail.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
Does Sig make a 556 version of the 716i?  I'd like a little brother, so to speak, for mine.  But I haven't seen a Sig AR with a matching rail.
View Quote

The SDI line is the closest you will get with  the M400-SDI X SERIES being a perfect lil brother in my opinion.
https://www.sigsauer.com/m400-xseries-sdi.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#28]
New paint (was going for M81) and glass (PA SLX 4-16). She was diiiirty; it'd been a few hundred rounds, all suppressed; no malfs but I had the time so got it done; clean up was easy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/323065/IMG_9020-EDITtn-3070851.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/323065/IMG_9027tn-3070854.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/323065/IMG_9025-EDITtn-3070853.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/323065/IMG_9021-EDITtn-3070852.jpg
View Quote

@Eames

Your 716I is looking good and putting rounds where it counts, I like it!

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jhon:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/IMG_0567-3067062.jpg

Current setup. Hoping to get out and zero the TA55/RMR soon. So far, it seems like a good match for this rifle. Just under 10.5lbs without the can.

It's a good sign India is ordering more of these. Hopefully that means SIG will continue to support them for the foreseeable future as the 716i is a fantastic general purpose rifle. Not quite the bargain it was 2 years ago, but it's still a good value for a rifle that will work out of the box, is not too heavy, and is reasonably accurate.
View Quote

@jhon

Your Triji is fkn sick bro. So how do you like it on the 716I?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#30]

@jhon

Your Triji is fkn sick bro. So how do you like it on the 716I?
View Quote

I really dig it. This rifle has had a variety of glass on it from a K16i (that's now on a 5.56), a Meopta 3-18, and now the TA55/RMR combo. I've enjoyed the TA55 the most for this rifle, it just seems to fit. My long range is inaccessible this time of year but I should be able to punch it out to 500 yards this summer. I've ran some close range drills (10 yards and in) with the RMR and it's fast. The height over bore doesn't seem to be a big issue with it zeroed for 50 yards; dot at the top of an IPSC target puts the hits in the head box.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
View Quote

M400Pro
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#32]
Took the 716i with the TA55A out to the range today. Confirmed zero at 100 yards with M80 ball. Grouping with M80 ball was consistently around 2", slightly worse than I could do with a mid-power optic and I attribute that to it being more difficult to be consistent with the chevron reticle. That said 2" is more than sufficient for practical use at 100 yards. I was able to shoot at steel out to 330 yards (about 301 meters). Using the 300 hold on the ACOG it was consistently hitting dead center of the gong. Full mag went into about an 8" group at 300 yards off a bipod. Not fantastic accuracy but sufficient for my uses. There was a partially obscured IPSC plate on the 250 yard that I was able to make a couple head shots on. The challenge here is needing to hold somewhere between the crotch of the chevron and the 300 mark. Landing hits on the exposed upper chest of the plate was not an issue as I held with the crotch of the chevron on the head.

I brought 20 rounds of my handloads as well. 168gr Nosler BTHP over 40.5gr of IM4895 in Lake City cases. This load is pretty light, but is a known performer for SAAMI length ammunition. Out of the 716i it was very soft shooting. I wish I had a chrono to measure velocity. Groups were very consistent as well:

Didn't have a formal target so I used a small piece of 1" tape and held on the 300 mark to get the most precision possible. The other 3 groups were right around 1.25", but this one was by far and away the best I've ever shot a gas gun. This was shot off a bipod with a small rear bag. I suspect the 716i is capable of even better accuracy if there were a better shooter running it off sandbags. I'm going to load up some more of these and see what I can do at 200 with it.

Regarding the TA55A, while it is calibrated for 175gr 308 at 2651 FPS, it works rather well with M80 ball at 2600 FPS. Using Chairgunner I plugged in some really basic data and came up with this:

Obviously this is just a starting point, but it's interesting that for the most part its really close with M80 ball using yards instead of meters. So far with a 100 yard zero the 300 mark is dead on. Should be able to take it out to 600. My primary load is M80 ball with 150gr SP as a secondary.

I did have one malfunction with Federal 168gr Berger Hybrid ammunition. I had 10 rounds left over from a hunting trip years ago and decided to shoot it up. With the can it was way too much gas and it failed to eject. Without the can it was fine but recoil was much stouter than M80 or my handloads. This is the first commercial 168gr .308 load I've ran through this rifle with the suppressor on and it was apparent it was pretty warm. Going forward I won't be using the suppressor with heavy commercial .308 ammunition. 175gr 7.62 NATO has been fine with the suppressor with minimal gas to face.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jhon:
Took the 716i with the TA55A out to the range today. Confirmed zero at 100 yards with M80 ball. Grouping with M80 ball was consistently around 2", slightly worse than I could do with a mid-power optic and I attribute that to it being more difficult to be consistent with the chevron reticle. That said 2" is more than sufficient for practical use at 100 yards. I was able to shoot at steel out to 330 yards (about 301 meters). Using the 300 hold on the ACOG it was consistently hitting dead center of the gong. Full mag went into about an 8" group at 300 yards off a bipod. Not fantastic accuracy but sufficient for my uses. There was a partially obscured IPSC plate on the 250 yard that I was able to make a couple head shots on. The challenge here is needing to hold somewhere between the crotch of the chevron and the 300 mark. Landing hits on the exposed upper chest of the plate was not an issue as I held with the crotch of the chevron on the head.

I brought 20 rounds of my handloads as well. 168gr Nosler BTHP over 40.5gr of IM4895 in Lake City cases. This load is pretty light, but is a known performer for SAAMI length ammunition. Out of the 716i it was very soft shooting. I wish I had a chrono to measure velocity. Groups were very consistent as well:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-20_17_21_33_7-3136043.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/IMG_0704-3136044.jpg

Didn't have a formal target so I used a small piece of 1" tape and held on the 300 mark to get the most precision possible. The other 3 groups were right around 1.25", but this one was by far and away the best I've ever shot a gas gun. This was shot off a bipod with a small rear bag. I suspect the 716i is capable of even better accuracy if there were a better shooter running it off sandbags. I'm going to load up some more of these and see what I can do at 200 with it.

Regarding the TA55A, while it is calibrated for 175gr 308 at 2651 FPS, it works rather well with M80 ball at 2600 FPS. Using Chairgunner I plugged in some really basic data and came up with this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/IMG_0705-3136076.jpg

Obviously this is just a starting point, but it's interesting that for the most part its really close with M80 ball using yards instead of meters. So far with a 100 yard zero the 300 mark is dead on. Should be able to take it out to 600. My primary load is M80 ball with 150gr SP as a secondary.

I did have one malfunction with Federal 168gr Berger Hybrid ammunition. I had 10 rounds left over from a hunting trip years ago and decided to shoot it up. With the can it was way too much gas and it failed to eject. Without the can it was fine but recoil was much stouter than M80 or my handloads. This is the first commercial 168gr .308 load I've ran through this rifle with the suppressor on and it was apparent it was pretty warm. Going forward I won't be using the suppressor with heavy commercial .308 ammunition. 175gr 7.62 NATO has been fine with the suppressor with minimal gas to face.
View Quote

@jhon

Excellent write up along with excellent shooting! Keep it up bro.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#34]
@coregon

I would buy a SIG 716i Tread in basic black if it came in a 16~18" 6.5CM. I would rather have that over a 6.5CM barrel for my MCX Spear.

I don't want some weird 6.5CM hunting rifle with shit on it, just a basic black 716i Tread in 6.5CM! Please? Hell, I'd buy the 308 model and an an extra barrel too I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Hello there y'all! Just made this account so please forgive me for any communication issues, never got into threads until now!
I got me a 716i with a Sandman L on it, and a Spike's Tactical ST-T3 Buffer on it, and that's about all for mods on trying to solve the overgassing issue. I am able to get about 3-6 shots in before I get a failure of some sort. Mostly failure to feed.
Last time I went to the range to test it for the first time suppressed, I was limited in time and could only gather so much info. I was using 147gr M80 ammo that day. Also to note, when I came back home I noticed it was drier than when I normally come back from the range.
Brass ejects around 1-3 o-clock, and cycles it normally before it decides to jam. Buffer system is bottoming out. I would like to throw me a heavy buffer spring and do only that if possible. But if I must do more than that I am more than willing to do so.
Heard an adjustable gas block is advised if I'm running suppressed. Currently forgetting which specific one to look into, I saw it around here in this thread somewhere.
I am looking to see if it is possible to be able to run this reliably suppressed, with only tuning it with getting a heavy buffer spring and buffer only.
Looking forward to talk!
Thank y'all for taking the time to read this, and have a fantastic day/night.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been imagining mine with a Riflespeed gas block, but as yet have no proven need.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dusdie:
I got me a 716i with a Sandman L on it, and a Spike's Tactical ST-T3 Buffer on it, ... get about 3-6 shots in before I get a failure of some sort. Mostly failure to feed....when I came back home I noticed it was drier than when I normally come back from the range.
View Quote
Does it run in factory config?

My config, with no issues:
The running of the suppressor does cause the chamber,  at least with all of the ammo I've run, at least in my case, to foul pretty quickly, so running it well lubed is better than not IMO. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Hello there! Thank you so much for replying!

It ran flawlessly in factory config, and has no reliability issues unsuppressed, with the Muzzle Brake Keymo currently attached on it. Factory buffer tube as well. I apologize for not mentioning that in the original post.

I will certainly be picking up the XH carbine buffer and Wolff XP Spring very soon! I've just noticed there are two different types in the link. Is it better to go for the .308 rifle spring pack, since the tube on the 716i tread is 7.5 inches long (at least from what I've heard)? Or the regular XH Carbine Buffer and Wolff XP spring?

Next time I go I shall be keeping it better lubricated, and we'll see how it goes! It was quite surprising to pull out the mag and see that my ammo have been nearly coated with fouling. This could be playing a big part in reliability.

Again, thank you for replying and pointing me in the right direction for this!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

I can't wait to have the above stated problems. Here's a pic from earlier this week; I went to my buddies shop and took my Rattler, 716I, and 516G2 to have KeyMo muzzle devices installed. They were out of ½x28 KeyMo FH's, but I had both the ⅝x24 KeyMo Comp & FH so I did a little fitting with my Sandman S that will hopefully be out of jail soon.

@goloud or anyone that can provide insight....

If I wanted to stick with Dead Air for simplicity across my different platforms would the Sandman S be the ideal suppressor for the 716's I have or the Sandman L or K models? I don't want to direct thread this gun or else I'd look at the Nomad too but here are my concerns.
¹Can the Nomad with the KeyMo adapter take Sandman type abuse?
²Is the reduction in sound offered by the Nomad even worth passing up on the Sandman?

Also can the Sandman and Nomad cover down on 5.56 guns, specifically 11.5", 14.5" & 16" 5.56 guns?

I don't need the quietest cans, but sound reduction and durability are equally important to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#40]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20240321_123632_jpg-3167144.JPG

I can't wait to have the above stated problems. Here's a pic from earlier this week; I went to my buddies shop and took my Rattler, 716I, and 516G2 to have KeyMo muzzle devices installed. They were out of ½x28 KeyMo FH's, but I had both the ⅝x24 KeyMo Comp & FH so I did a little fitting with my Sandman S that will hopefully be out of jail soon.

@goloud or anyone that can provide insight....

If I wanted to stick with Dead Air for simplicity across my different platforms would the Sandman S be the ideal suppressor for the 716's I have or the Sandman L or K models? I don't want to direct thread this gun or else I'd look at the Nomad too but here are my concerns.
¹Can the Nomad with the KeyMo adapter take Sandman type abuse?
²Is the reduction in sound offered by the Nomad even worth passing up on the Sandman?

Also can the Sandman and Nomad cover down on 5.56 guns, specifically 11.5", 14.5" & 16" 5.56 guns?

I don't need the quietest cans, but sound reduction and durability are equally important to me.
View Quote

@GLD1980 I have a Sandman-K, but I don't have a Nomad. You can put a keymo adapter on the Nomad to use on keymo muzzle devices. The Nomad is going to be lighter and quieter than the Sandman series. But, the Sandman is going to have less backpressure and won't be sending as much gas into your face. The Sandman is going to be more durable, but I wouldn't be that concerned about this unless you're going to be firing full auto or mag dumping all day. The Nomad is going to be lighter, if weight is an important factor.

I have used my Sandman on 5.56 guns with 7.5", 11.5", 16" and 18" barrels. I've also used it with my 308 bolt gun and 10.5" 300 blackout.  I just keep the 30cal end cap on so I don't have to worry about switching end caps, but I would get a little better sound suppression if I used 5.56 endcaps with my 5.56 guns. The Nomad will be able to work on 7.62/308 and 5.56 guns, with no minimum barrel restrictions.

When I got my Sandman-K they were much cheaper and the Nomad hadn't been released yet. I'm happy with my Sandman-K, and that is because I got it wanting a K-can without any barrel restrictions and I knew it wasn't going to be very quiet.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get a Sandman L or K since you already have the S. I would probably go with the Nomad over the L or K since it is lighter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#41]
Originally Posted By FriskyDillo:

@GLD1980 I have a Sandman-K, but I don't have a Nomad. You can put a keymo adapter on the Nomad to use on keymo muzzle devices. The Nomad is going to be lighter and quieter than the Sandman series. But, the Sandman is going to have less backpressure and won't be sending as much gas into your face. The Sandman is going to be more durable, but I wouldn't be that concerned about this unless you're going to be firing full auto or mag dumping all day. The Nomad is going to be lighter, if weight is an important factor.

I have used my Sandman on 5.56 guns with 7.5", 11.5", 16" and 18" barrels. I've also used it with my 308 bolt gun and 10.5" 300 blackout.  I just keep the 30cal end cap on so I don't have to worry about switching end caps, but I would get a little better sound suppression if I used 5.56 endcaps with my 5.56 guns. The Nomad will be able to work on 7.62/308 and 5.56 guns, with no minimum barrel restrictions.

When I got my Sandman-K they were much cheaper and the Nomad hadn't been released yet. I'm happy with my Sandman-K, and that is because I got it wanting a K-can without any barrel restrictions and I knew it wasn't going to be very quiet.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get a Sandman L or K since you already have the S. I would probably go with the Nomad over the L or K since it is lighter.
View Quote

@FriskyDillo

I can get heavy on the trigger, so I definitely want something that can handle that and last. The Sandman S seems appealing for these reasons across my various platforms. I also want a Nomad but that will probably become a more dedicated can for a .300BO 9"MCX and the Rattler. Ideally I would like to own a few of each.

I appreciate your advice and it does make the most sense. A few close friends have also suggested getting a 9mm can next for my pistols and MPX-K. My brain says rifles caliber guns first though;
What say you?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FriskyDillo] [#42]

@FriskyDillo

I can get heavy on the trigger, so I definitely want something that can handle that and last. The Sandman S seems appealing for these reasons across my various platforms. I also want a Nomad but that will probably become a more dedicated can for a .300BO 9"MCX and the Rattler. Ideally I would like to own a few of each.

I appreciate your advice and it does make the most sense. A few close friends have also suggested getting a 9mm can next for my pistols and MPX-K. My brain says rifles caliber guns first though;
What say you?
View Quote

@GLD1980 Get a multi-caliber suppressor like a DeadAir Primal or SilencerCo Hybrid 46 or any other multi-caliber suppressor that comes from a reputable manufacturer: https://www.capitolarmory.com/suppressor/multi-caliber.html. They will work with handguns but will also handle the pressures of centerfire rifle cartridges. I recommend going this route when you're first getting started so that way you have a can that will work with most, if not all of your guns, while you work on getting cans dedicated for certain guns. Although multi-caliber cans like these probably won't work with rimfire rifles/handguns.

Also, invest in suppressor alignment rods/gages: https://geissele.com/parts-tools/suppressor-alignment-gage.html. If you have a smith mounting the muzzle devices and they are verifying with a rod/gage then you probably don't need one. But if you are DIYing it or the smith isn't verifying with them, then buy them.  Properly mounting muzzle devices (proper torque and thread locker) and using suppressor alignment rods/gages will save you from having to send in your can for warranty work after your first outing. I learned this lesson the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By FriskyDillo:

@GLD1980 Get a multi-caliber suppressor like a DeadAir Primal or SilencerCo Hybrid 46 or any other multi-caliber suppressor that comes from a reputable manufacturer: https://www.capitolarmory.com/suppressor/multi-caliber.html. They will work with handguns but will also handle the pressures of centerfire rifle cartridges. I recommend going this route when you're first getting started so that way you have a can that will work with most, if not all of your guns, while you work on getting cans dedicated for certain guns. Although multi-caliber cans like these probably won't work with rimfire rifles/handguns.

Also, invest in suppressor alignment rods/gages: https://geissele.com/parts-tools/suppressor-alignment-gage.html. If you have a smith mounting the muzzle devices and they are verifying with a rod/gage then you probably don't need one. But if you are DIYing it or the smith isn't verifying with them, then buy them.  Properly mounting muzzle devices (proper torque and thread locker) and using suppressor alignment rods/gages will save you from having to send in your can for warranty work after your first outing. I learned this lesson the hard way.
View Quote

@FriskyDillo

Thanks again for the advice. I will eventually get some of my own alignment rods but for now my buds shop has me covered in that area too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#44]
I finally gave in. Picked up a SIG 716i Tread, for $1499.00 the other day.

Tossed on a Razor HD 1-6 and CTR, nice little DI package. Very compact for a 308, noticeably lighter than even the MCX Spear 308.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:07:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
I finally gave in. Picked up a SIG 716i Tread, for $1499.00 the other day.

Tossed on a Razor HD 1-6 and CTR, nice little DI package. Very compact for a 308, noticeably lighter than even the MXC Spear 308.

View Quote

@Roadblock
Welcome to the Club! The 716I does not disappoint and you have chosen to set yours up nicely. Share some pics and your shooting experiences. Take care!

Dan
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top