BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
Do MCX Virtus LE versions all come with Chromelined barrels?  It doesn't say.  I have an 11.5 inch Virtus in Coyote tan cerakote and it has a chromelined barrel. I got it in 2019 I believe. I called sig about it and they confirmed it was chrome.
View Quote

Some do, some dont.  Depends on the contract.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
For best results with an AR lower, does a milspec forged yield the best fit? My two ADM lowers leave gaps everywhere
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:
For best results with an AR lower, does a milspec forged yield the best fit? My two ADM lowers leave gaps everywhere
View Quote

I have run a hybrid on Sig M400 and Noveske lowers and both of those still had a gap. Not much, but it was there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
What thread pattern is used on Virtus 300BLK barrels? Sig doesn't specify anywhere on their website.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlackArrow:
What thread pattern is used on Virtus 300BLK barrels? Sig doesn't specify anywhere on their website.
View Quote

5/8x24
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

5/8x24
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
Originally Posted By BlackArrow:

5/8x24

The muzzle is threaded 5/8"-24 with a 25deg tapered  shoulder behind the the threads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
We need to update this now that the MCX Spear has come out!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:
We need to update this now that the MCX Spear has come out!
View Quote

Added first pass at Spear-LT content.

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
Do MCX Virtus LE versions all come with Chromelined barrels?  It doesn't say.  I have an 11.5 inch Virtus in Coyote tan cerakote and it has a chromelined barrel. I got it in 2019 I believe. I called sig about it and they confirmed it was chrome.
View Quote

I recently purchased a SIG MCX G2 WRMCX-16B-TAP-P from Proven Arms and Outfitters. They had this helpful chart explaining the differences between the Virtus and TAP-P models. Has @coregon already mentioned, different contracts contain different specs so there may be some variations even to this chart.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:

I recently purchased a SIG MCX G2 WRMCX-16B-TAP-P from Proven Arms and Outfitters. They had this helpful chart explaining the differences between the Virtus and TAP-P models. Has @coregon already mentioned, different contracts contain different specs so there may be some variations even to this chart.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/MCX-Rifle-Differences_jpg-2648866.JPG
View Quote

Thanks, I'll add that to the first page.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like we'll have another update soon.
What is the Sig MCX RSAR? (New SOCOM PDW)
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Added gas port size screencap posted by @coltc
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
Looks like we'll have another update soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RbfJqETmM
View Quote

I might have missed it, but.. does James or the video mention the 7.75" barrel at all here? Still haven't seen much info about it.. it's on a Rattler setup in the new Sig Experience Center Museum.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kilofoxtrot:

I might have missed it, but.. does James or the video mention the 7.75" barrel at all here? Still haven't seen much info about it.. it's on a Rattler setup in the new Sig Experience Center Museum.
View All Quotes
Looks like we'll have another update soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RbfJqETmM

Funny you mention that. They just released a new video on the 7.75" RSAR. This suggests to me there may be something coming soon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Funny you mention that. They just released a new video on the 7.75" RSAR. This suggests to me there may be something coming soon.
View All Quotes

There's always something coming...
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By coregon:

View All Quotes

Can we ask OP to add SPEAR-H to his title yet?

Or better yet, start a new thread with MSRP, caliber, configuration, and release dates...

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Can we ask OP to add SPEAR-H to his title yet?

Or better yet, start a new thread with MSRP, caliber, configuration, and release dates...

View Quote

Sure
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know. I kind of feel like the big boy should be it's own. I mean, really the only thing they physically have in common, other than general layout characteristics, is the pistol grip and stock. They really are otherwise different animals with different operating systems.

But if you guys want them combined, it's certainly doable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ohsnapchexmix] [#19]
Howdy y'all, just joined to try to get and perhaps help provide some information. Does anyone have any information regarding the 7.62x39 spear lt gas valves? Do we have confirmation if they're they same or different from the Virtus ones? Sig just put some out on their store front but the picture indicates the 11.5" x39 valve is J02 which is the same as the 11.5" Virtus. That sound right?

Just wanted to edit to add that I've been sending my spear lt in for several RMA's due to issues firing suppressed, and I now have a new gas valve not listed, T05. Pin gauges have been ordered so I can provide an update on Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ohsnapchexmix:
Howdy y'all, just joined to try to get and perhaps help provide some information. Does anyone have any information regarding the 7.62x39 spear lt gas valves? Do we have confirmation if they're they same or different from the Virtus ones? Sig just put some out on their store front but the picture indicates the 11.5" x39 valve is J02 which is the same as the 11.5" Virtus. That sound right?

Just wanted to edit to add that I've been sending my spear lt in for several RMA's due to issues firing suppressed, and I now have a new gas valve not listed, T05. Pin gauges have been ordered so I can provide an update on Saturday.
View Quote

Good question. I don't really know. Maybe somebody can shed some light on it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok according to the cheapo pin gauge set I ordered, the minus gas setting for the T05 plug on my 11.5" spear lt in 7.62x39 is between .062" and .063". The plus setting is between .066" and .067".
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Where are people buying the black Spear LT LE rifles that I’m starting to see pop up?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Muzzle device FAQ info.

Asking here first instead of starting new thread. Any info on muzzle device removal?

1. OEM muzzle devices. Does sig use Rocksett or different thread lock compound that would dictate any prep soak?

2. What is recommended to secure barrel for removal/install of muzzle devices? Are there any MCX specific tools like a BEV block or reaction rod for these barrels?

3. Torque specs or any considerations in using the taper adapter or timing shims?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sideswipeasaurus:
Muzzle device FAQ info.

Asking here first instead of starting new thread. Any info on muzzle device removal?

1. OEM muzzle devices. Does sig use Rocksett or different thread lock compound that would dictate any prep soak?

2. What is recommended to secure barrel for removal/install of muzzle devices? Are there any MCX specific tools like a BEV block or reaction rod for these barrels?

3. Torque specs or any considerations in using the taper adapter or timing shims?
View Quote

1. They do appear to use Rocksett with my sample size of two MCX's. I didn't need any soaking or anything beyond putting the barrel in a vise and using a standard socket wrench to get the MD off, although plenty of people seem to have way worse luck in that regard, so I guess try caveman tactics and if it fails, start soaking?

2. not aware of any MCX specific bev blocks or upper receiver rods, but seeing how easy it is to pull the barrel and slap it in a vise, I hadn't bothered looking around for such a product. When my upper gets back from Sig, I can check to see if my upper receiver rods fit.

3. I just based my muzzle device torque off the muzzle device manufacturer spec, generally 25-30 ft-lbs. The taper adapter is only needed IIRC if you need to time a device without a taper, but otherwise shouldn't affect the torque spec itself in any way.

Happy to be corrected where I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sideswipeasaurus:
Muzzle device FAQ info.

View Quote

2. I have a SAC barrel vise that I’ve used to good effect. There are no reaction rods for the MCX to my knowledge. If you don’t want to go the barrel vise route, you should be able to pick up some soft jaws for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Most people say to remove the barrel from the upper and clamp the gas block.

I’ll check the armorer’s manual Friday unless somebody comments first or if I forget.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I personally would recommend against but you do you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#28]
@coregon Ordered an APP CALX kit last week, which was advertised as "chrome-lined". Barrel doesn’t look chrome-lined to me but hey, figured I'd ask the experts. Should be able to post some photos tomorrow but this is the P/N: WCALX-MCX-6B-300-TAP

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
@coregon Ordered an APP CALX kit last week, which was advertised as "chrome-lined". Barrel doesn’t look chrome-lined to me but hey, figured I'd ask the experts. Should be able to post some photos tomorrow but this is the P/N: WCALX-MCX-6B-300-TAP

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/216696/IMG_7003_jpeg-2841697.JPG
View Quote

Where did you purchase?  Advertised by who?  Did you buy from SIG directly?

Some of these barrels are CL, some aren't.  It's really contract, etc dependent.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#30]

Where did you purchase?  Advertised by who?  Did you buy from SIG directly?

Some of these barrels are CL, some aren't.  It's really contract, etc dependent.
View Quote

Roger. I bought it from Proven Arms & Outfitters. It was advertised as an LE/MIL WCALX kit with chrome-lined barrel. I’ve read your previous posts so I know chrome-lining is contract depended but when something’s advertised as X, you expect to get X and not Y. Sucks because I’ve heard nothing but good things about Proven Arms. Obviously not SIGs fault.

On a positive note, it shipped with both an F01 and F03 valve, which is cool. I guess I need to decide whether I want to return it or not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#31]
@coregon would it be possible to build an LVAW clone from a spear LT?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By headlifeguard:
View Quote

Perhaps a better question, has the LVAW been upgraded with the Spear-LT?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:36:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#33]
View All Quotes

Depends on exactly what you want to do, I guess.

You can outfit a SPEAR-LT just like the Virtus TACOPS, just by adding the SD handguard.  Which, is a great, commercial, representation of the LVAW.  But, SPEAR-LT is still different than LVAW.

Perhaps a better question, has the LVAW been upgraded with the Spear-LT?

No.  LVAW hasn’t been touched since its adoption.  Rattler has supplanted LVAW for many mission sets.  LVAW is still in many, many armories, but the rapid ability to evolve the MCX family has driven more advancements, more configurations, etc.

Programs like SURG, RSAR, and others have really taken the original LVAW concept and divided those roles into their own contracts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Depends on exactly what you want to do, I guess.

You can outfit a SPEAR-LT just like the Virtus TACOPS, just by adding the SD handguard.  Which, is a great, commercial, representation of the LVAW.  But, SPEAR-LT is still different than LVAW.

No.  LVAW hasn’t been touched since its adoption.  Rattler has supplanted LVAW for many mission sets.  LVAW is still in many, many armories, but the rapid ability to evolve the MCX family has driven more advancements, more configurations, etc.

Programs like SURG, RSAR, and others have really taken the original LVAW concept and divided those roles into their own contracts.
View Quote

Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/216696/IMG_7003_jpeg-2841697.JPG
View Quote

@SMFdarkangel
Did you ever figure out if your barrel was chrome lined?  I was just thinking about buying one of these as a spare, and see the description still says they are chrome lined.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:

@SMFdarkangel
Did you ever figure out if your barrel was chrome lined?  I was just thinking about buying one of these as a spare, and see the description still says they are chrome lined.
View Quote

I didn’t and I personally don’t think it is. All the chrome-lined barrels I own are easily identifiable. Some LE contract guns do have chrome-lined barrels, but not all. I think this is a just a case of lazy marketing from the retailer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Roger. I bought it from Proven Arms & Outfitters. It was advertised as an LE/MIL WCALX kit with chrome-lined barrel. I’ve read your previous posts so I know chrome-lining is contract depended but when something’s advertised as X, you expect to get X and not Y. Sucks because I’ve heard nothing but good things about Proven Arms. Obviously not SIGs fault.

On a positive note, it shipped with both an F01 and F03 valve, which is cool. I guess I need to decide whether I want to return it or not.
View Quote

IIRC the APP stuff I got from Proven weren’t chrome lined.

The APP barrels/uppers from Osage were.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

IIRC the APP stuff I got from Proven weren’t chrome lined.

The APP barrels/uppers from Osage were.
View Quote

Roger. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 5:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coregon] [#39]

I didn’t and I personally don’t think it is. All the chrome-lined barrels I own are easily identifiable. Some LE contract guns do have chrome-lined barrels, but not all. I think this is a just a case of lazy marketing from the retailer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:

@SMFdarkangel

Sorry - I didnt get notified when you tagged me and just seeing this.  

It should be easily distinguishable if it's CL or not.  I see you got it from a retailer, so im guessing/thinking they were confused on what they had and/or of the false understanding that ALL "MIL/LE" barrels are CL..?

@SMFdarkangel
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Sorry - I didnt get notified when you tagged me and just seeing this.  

It should be easily distinguishable if it's CL or not.  I see you got it from a retailer, so im guessing/thinking they were confused on what they had and/or of the false understanding that ALL "MIL/LE" barrels are CL..?

@SMFdarkangel
View Quote

100% I'm sure that's all there was to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:08:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hungrydingo] [#41]
Does anyone here know if a legacy gas valve will fit and function in a spear LT gas block? I don’t care if it will cycle or work with a particular cartridge, or barrel, just if the ports and geometry line up so it could potentially work.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hungrydingo:
Does anyone here know if a legacy gas valve will fit and function in a spear LT gas block? I don’t care if it will cycle or work with a particular cartridge, or barrel, just if the ports and geometry line up so it could potentially work.
Thanks
View Quote

I can't say for certain, but I picked up a Virtus valve to test in my Legacy and it did not work out.

I'm guessing the same is going to be true for the inverse with a Spear-Lt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

The handguard is interesting.  Very Spear.

@Coregon are these turned down 9" Virtus-type barrels or specifically built on the spear "light" profile?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By thumbbreak:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144187/img_7244-scaled-2948490.jpg

@Coregon are these turned down 9" Virtus-type barrels or specifically built on the spear "light" profile?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thumbbreak:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144187/img_7244-scaled-2948490.jpg

What you see in this picture, or seen in pre-production prototypes, would be different than anything (potentially) released on the commercial side.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Broomtreecoals] [#45]
What would I need to do in order to get a 6.75” Virtus barrel on my rattler? Sig says that the rattler can not accept the 6.75” conversion kit. Is that simply due to the shorter op-rod of the rattler? If so that can be overcome right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Broomtreecoals:
What would I need to do in order to get a 6.75” Virtus barrel on my rattler? Sig says that the rattler can not accept the 6.75” conversion kit. Is that simply due to the shorter op-rod of the rattler? If so that can be overcome right?
View Quote

@Broomtreecoals
Buy this

Put that on your carrier and you'll be able to use the 6.75" Virtus barrel (or any Virtus barrel) in your Rattler receiver.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#47]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

@Broomtreecoals
Buy this

Put that on your carrier and you'll be able to use the 6.75" Virtus barrel (or any Virtus barrel) in your Rattler receiver.
View Quote

Correct. You can swap the op rod or just purchase the whole assembly, which is probably the easier option for most.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MPX/comments/ssh58n/comment/hwylkjw/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Alright, thank you guys!
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#49]
OK, guys. Time to update the OP.

List of things to add:

. New Rattler Lt (standard LT receiver, 6.75" 300blk, 7.75" 7.62x39 & 5.56x45).
. Link to Virtus recoil assembly and partno.
. Proper torque for handguard screws
. Link to Arisaka handguard stabilizers

What else?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Virtus Op-Rod part # : 2401316-R
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top