Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
MCX: Generation 3/SPEAR LT (Page 40 of 42)
Page / 42
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By metroplex:
Anyone notice the factory match trigger is still fairly heavy? I measured mine at 6 lb
View Quote

It's a VERY smooth, easy to work trigger.

Mine was not six pounds.  It was closer to 4.5 or 5.0 lbs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 6:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metroplex] [#2]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

View Quote

I used my Wheeler gauge and measured 6 lb consistently. It's smooth and easy to use, just not as light or crisp as my LaRue MBT2S, Geissele Super Scar, or Geissele Tavor Pack/Bow.

So I went and re-did the testing, tried lubing it and working it as much as possible since it is a brand new lower and I've never fired it.
1st stage is 4 lb, final break at 6 lb. This is a Spear LT made mid October 2023. That first stage is relatively heavy by comparison. But its not gritty or vague, just a bit stiff.

I was curious and tested my LaRue MBT2S in an AR15 lower. 1 lb first stage, 3 lb final break. Super light and crisp.

I wonder if SIG stiffened up the springs because of some MCX's going full auto
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]

I used my Wheeler gauge and measured 6 lb consistently. It's smooth and easy to use, just not as light or crisp as my LaRue MBT2S, Geissele Super Scar, or Geissele Tavor Pack/Bow.

So I went and re-did the testing, tried lubing it and working it as much as possible since it is a brand new lower and I've never fired it.
1st stage is 4 lb, final break at 6 lb. This is a Spear LT made mid October 2023. That first stage is relatively heavy by comparison. But its not gritty or vague, just a bit stiff.

I was curious and tested my LaRue MBT2S in an AR15 lower. 1 lb first stage, 3 lb final break. Super light and crisp.

I wonder if SIG stiffened up the springs because of some MCX's going full auto
View Quote

Not sure brother.  My LT Is an early 2023 production so we aren't comparing "apples to apples" lol.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Not sure brother.  My LT Is an early 2023 production so we aren't comparing "apples to apples" lol.
View Quote
I don't know what's wrong with the factory Tread 400 trigger in mine then. I cleaned it and re-checked. 4 lb 1st stage, 6 lb break. My LaRue MBT2S is 1lb first stage, 3 lb or so final.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By carbon2329:
This is not really a comment on the LT but I was at a recent training class and the guy next to me was using an Spear LT (11.5 / 5.56) with the new sig short suppressor (SLX556C).  The clutch-Lock seems very nice.

It was a night class.....and that thing was a flame-thrower.  I found that interesting......
View Quote

I found out the SLX556-QD was tested in the TBAC Sound Summit 2023 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/)
Disregarding the political feud between this test and Jay's Pewscience testing... It shows the SLX 5.56 (which based on the weight listed on that site, is the SLX 556-QD) performing quite well, just behind the Turbo T3 and neck/neck with the Velos. The only selling point on the SLX556-QD for me is the Clutch-Lok mounting that works with the MCX Spear LT's native flash hider. Otherwise the Ventum 762 is what I'm looking to use for my other platforms due to its Bravo mounting.

Since I went with a Plan B flash hider on my Spear LT upper, and kept the SIG Clutch-Lok FH on the full Spear LT, that'll be my test plan for the next season.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I removed the M400 Tread factory trigger, and installed a new LaRue MBT2S. About 1.25 lb first stage, 3.75 lb final break.

The problem is, the hammer now has a slight dent from the firing pin. And I only dry fired maybe a dozen times. I did a search and saw that the SIG and Geissele triggers from 2018 or so had the same issue. The M400 factory trigger in my MCX doesn't have a dent from dry firing.

https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/mcx-virtus-geissele-hammer-has-dimples-too.326532/

I have thousands of rounds through my other LaRue MBT2S triggers on AR15s and no dents.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Figured out why my stock MCX trigger was 6 lb. It's the trigger spring. After cleaning and lubing the stock M400 Tread FCG, it went down to 3.75 lb 1st stage, and 5.5 lb total. However with a lighter trigger spring, it drops to 2 lb for the first stage and 4.5 lb total - but the reset is not very strong at all. Feels odd, like it is hanging until I move my finger away enough. Normally it will push against my finger.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#8]
Finally found a painless and effortless way to install the forward assist delete... I Spoke with SIG CS on Monday and they said that part is now discontinued and had to refer me to one of their distributors to see if they had any more in stock for a friends project.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, according to the rep at SIG CS, they said "... the low profile deflector assembly is discontinued... It will still be manufactured as a contract specific piece but won't be commercially available anymore..."

I was referred to a few different distributors from SIG and they were all sold out with no backorder available.

The only place I could find that still had them in stock was Optics Planet.

@coregon can you confirm this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By doolz:
FWIW, according to the rep at SIG CS, they said "... the low profile deflector assembly is discontinued... It will still be manufactured as a contract specific piece but won't be commercially available anymore..."

I was referred to a few different distributors from SIG and they were all sold out with no backorder available.

The only place I could find that still had them in stock was Optics Planet.

@coregon can you confirm this?
View Quote

Looks to be the case.  Many times, when there is a low-demand/yield (in commercial market) product like this, it will be discontinued.  Especially if it is built on contract demand only.  It keeps the (already intensive) SKU portfolio in check.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sveesix] [#11]
Anyone else have issues with the front takedown pin?

Shipping and quality control seems to be lacking…

Ordered and MCX conversion kit upper. Arrived as you can see pictured. Anodizing is worn off in the rear lug. The upper won’t mount on a lower right now since the front takedown pin holes don’t line up. It’s not just tight. There is no way a takedown out fits through.

I’ve read about loosening the handguard, etc, but is this common? Should this be going back to Sig? Kind of pissed about the damage before I even got it.

Edit: Sig is issuing a label to ship it back and get a replacement. Excellent CS!

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sveesix:
Anyone else have issues with the front takedown pin?

Shipping and quality control seems to be lacking…

Ordered and MCX conversion kit upper. Arrived as you can see pictured. Anodizing is worn off in the rear lug. The upper won’t mount on a lower right now since the front takedown pin holes don’t line up. It’s not just tight. There is no way a takedown out fits through.

I’ve read about loosening the handguard, etc, but is this common? Should this be going back to Sig? Kind of pissed about the damage before I even got it.

Edit: Sig is issuing a label to ship it back and get a replacement. Excellent CS!

https://i.ibb.co/tL5RD54/IMG-2257.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/LRJvBZ5/IMG-2259.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/GJfyGzL/IMG-2254.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/WDVg5HV/IMG-2252.jpg
View Quote

That’s a pretty common thing.If you bought a complete gun the pins especially the front one is very tight.Usually you need a small hammer and a punch to remove it at least till the pins have been removed a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: metroplex] [#13]
Originally Posted By BoSanders:

That's a pretty common thing.If you bought a complete gun the pins especially the front one is very tight.Usually you need a small hammer and a punch to remove it at least till the pins have been removed a bunch.
View Quote

He posted on SIG Talk. There were a bunch of people there citing their years of experience with the Virtus not having this issue. When I contacted SIG, they told me to loosen the handguard screws so it'd be easier to insert/remove the pin. Sure enough it worked. With lube and wear, I no longer need to touch the HG screws. I still need to use the chamber flag (or suitable plastic tool) to manually push out the pins but not much force is needed.

What's not normal is apparently his upper came in the condition shown in the last photo. He said the box was sealed but the BCG was loose like that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#14]

He posted on SIG Talk. There were a bunch of people there citing their years of experience with the Virtus not having this issue. When I contacted SIG, they told me to loosen the handguard screws so it'd be easier to insert/remove the pin. Sure enough it worked. With lube and wear, I no longer need to touch the HG screws. I still need to use the chamber flag (or suitable plastic tool) to manually push out the pins but not much force is needed.

What's not normal is apparently his upper came in the condition shown in the last photo. He said the box was sealed but the BCG was loose like that.
View Quote

They customer service at SIG was fantastic. He said it seems like I may have gotten a return since there was nothing plastic wrapped and the fact that the bolt carrier was just bouncing  around (that shouldn’t really be possible). They’re going to send a replacement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I have always had great experience with sig customer service.  The spear LT pistol I have had fairly tight pins but I prefer that over loose.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sveesix:

They customer service at SIG was fantastic. He said it seems like I may have gotten a return since there was nothing plastic wrapped and the fact that the bolt carrier was just bouncing  around (that shouldn't really be possible). They're going to send a replacement.
View Quote

That's great news!

Hopefully the new one is better! I would still recommend you grab some Torx Plus bits (TP-10, TP-15, TP-27) to have on hand. And if that front pin is still giving you issues, just loosen/remove the handguard screws like SIG recommended I try. I see on Virtus that their handguards have the same handguard link. However, the Virtus doesn't have the 2 handguard screws so that's why they tend to flex or wiggle. Spear LT added those 2 screws.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Imma have to eat crow here for a min. A few pages ago I said I was going to pass on the LT and get a 416. Well I did and the 416 is a great rifle, However,  I went to my buddy's range and he had a 11.5 spear and let me use it the whole weekend during some training. I was thoroughly impressed with the SIG and we had no issues with zero shift or anything else. It balances a little better than the 416 but ymmv. Shoots insanely flat and zero gas to the face suppressed, I will be buying one soon, kinda holding out for a 10.5 CSAW. My hats off to sig on this one, just when I thought I was done they pull me back in.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#18]
Went out with my 7yo son last night, SPEAR LT took its first yote. It was his first time watching too. We Only saw one other yote with this one, but couldn’t bring him back in after shooting his buddy.

Out with the SPEAR heavy right now waiting for sun up to see if we can bag a doe.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Wait, we have our own thread? I just now found this lol
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Soxfan:
Wait, we have our own thread? I just now found this lol
View Quote

Welcome to the party bro!
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:53:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soxfan] [#21]
Originally Posted By Zone0ne:

Welcome to the party bro!
View Quote

Hell yeah, I haven’t even fired this thing yet and I love it. Trying  to find a gunsmith to take that muzzle device off though, all the talk scares me to do it myself and I don’t have a barrel vice anyhow. But yeah, I’m fired up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Black commercial part number starting to show up for 16": RMCX-556N-16B-LT-B, UPC 798681683321.  Doesn't appear to come with the accessories like the LE models but now there's a choice of black or coyote for the commercial market.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By crosseyeshooter:
Black commercial part number starting to show up for 16": RMCX-556N-16B-LT-B, UPC 798681683321.  Doesn't appear to come with the accessories like the LE models but now there's a choice of black or coyote for the commercial market.
View Quote

MGW has them in...

I would assume that Proven Arms will be behind them shortly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By crosseyeshooter:
View Quote

The LE guns also have chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JK-919] [#25]
Is it worth trading my 5.5” virtus-era rattler and some extra cash for the new 6.75” Rattler LT?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Is it worth trading my 5.5" virtus-era rattler and some extra cash for the new 6.75" Rattler LT?
View Quote

Unless you just have to have the latest and greatest, or sold the current gun for easy replacement money, I'd say no.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Anyone notice the factory match trigger is still fairly heavy? I measured mine at 6 lb

I shot mine last night.  I did notice on two separate occasions the trigger being stiff compared to the other shots.  Not sure what caused it, happened twice in about 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:28:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unrock] [#29]
Sig rep was at a local shop pushing Spears LTs out at an unbelievable prices.  

I picked up 11.5 inch pistol (Form 1 already filed) with Romeo4H for $2226 out the door, plus 100 round of 77grOTM.  Plus  Sig $200 rebate if rifle and scope purchased together.

If you consider all the extras, the Spear by it self was $1400.  Not bad.

120 in tax
120 in ammo
400 Romeo 4
200 rebate

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Soxfan:

Hell yeah, I haven’t even fired this thing yet and I love it. Trying  to find a gunsmith to take that muzzle device off though, all the talk scares me to do it myself and I don’t have a barrel vice anyhow. But yeah, I’m fired up.
View Quote

Do you own an electric impact gun? Or know someone who does? An 18mm deep well socket on and impact takes it right off. I didn't soak mine or anything. Held the rifle in one hand and the impact in the other and it came right off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GZ1:

Do you own an electric impact gun? Or know someone who does? An 18mm deep well socket on and impact takes it right off. I didn't soak mine or anything. Held the rifle in one hand and the impact in the other and it came right off.
View Quote

I do but didn’t want to jack with it. Found a local gunsmith that took it off and installed the keymo flash hider for like 40 bucks. Strangely enough, it was the day of the tornados last week and the gunsmith was right where one of them. Looks like I got out just in time
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#32]
So I finally caved and bought an 11 inch 556 sbr. What must have upgrades should I pick up while waiting for the stamp? Stock, charging handle, trigger, small parts, etc...

I like the geissele ach on regular ars but noticed they don't offer one for the mcx, I think the sch is too big and gets caught on gear.

Plan on using a surefire can / four prong.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilasB] [#33]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
So I finally caved and bought an 11 inch 556 sbr. What must have upgrades should I pick up while waiting for the stamp? Stock, charging handle, trigger, small parts, etc...

I like the geissele ach on regular ars but noticed they don't offer one for the mcx, I think the sch is too big and gets caught on gear.

Plan on using a surefire can / four prong.
View Quote

I change out the safety my MCXs and the LT, but only because I run the same one in all my AR style guns for consistency. For charging handle, Raptor LT Sig MCX which can be hard to find in stock. Strangely enough, I have not changed out the factory trigger. Blue Force QD sling or whatever QD system you like, to take advantage of those QD sockets. Figure out what optic you're going to run. You've got time to bargain hunt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SilasB:

I change out the safety my MCXs and the LT, but only because I run the same one in all my AR style guns for consistency. For charging handle, Raptor LT Sig MCX which can be hard to find in stock. Strangely enough, I have not changed out the factory trigger. Blue Force QD sling or whatever QD system you like, to take advantage of those QD sockets. Figure out what optic you're going to run. You've got time to bargain hunt.
View Quote
What does the radian one do better than the OEM?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
View Quote
For me, just a better grab. Functionally no different.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]
The Radian seems like it is more rigid (which is good). The Sig CH seems to bind/bend if not pulled back perfectly.

The Radian doesn't have that issue....at least that has been my experience. (you mileage might vary)
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#37]
View Quote

Not much if I had to be honest. I picked up one when I bought my 11.5" and the larger handle is nice, but nothing special. When I picked up my 16" upper I didn't find the cost/value big enough to replace the OEM.

Edit: Went and played with the charging handles again, the Radian definitely feels better. I would probably buy one for he 16" on sale.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I would love to see Geissele make the Airborne charging handle for the MCX
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
I would love to see Geissele make the Airborne charging handle for the MCX
View Quote

Same.

Due to the sling QD positions on the MCX lower, I actually have had my sling catch on the damned Geissele handle twice, pulling the bolt out of battery.  Weirdest sequence of events ever.

I went to a forward controls charging handle because of this.  I need more time on the different handle before I call this one good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Same.

Due to the sling QD positions on the MCX lower, I actually have had my sling catch on the damned Geissele handle twice, pulling the bolt out of battery.  Weirdest sequence of events ever.

I went to a forward controls charging handle because of this.  I need more time on the different handle before I call this one good.
View Quote

Maybe if we contact Geissele and there is a big enough demand, they could make it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Cops66:

Maybe if we contact Geissele and there is a big enough demand, they could make it.
View Quote

Perhaps.

I don't know if it's enough of a money maker for them to want to do it.  I would imagine when an Agency running MCX's requests it, they will do it and we will benefit from that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Perhaps.

I don't know if it's enough of a money maker for them to want to do it.  I would imagine when an Agency running MCX's requests it, they will do it and we will benefit from that.
View Quote

I believe they already make an MCX charging handle. Shouldn’t be that hard to use the Airborne latches instead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By carbon2329:
The Radian seems like it is more rigid (which is good). The Sig CH seems to bind/bend if not pulled back perfectly.

The Radian doesn't have that issue....at least that has been my experience. (you mileage might vary)
View Quote
The radian only has a single latch where was the OEM one is double latched.  Why did radian skimp out on the sig design?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#44]
The radian only has a single latch where was the OEM one is double latched.  Why did radian skimp out on the sig design?
View Quote

The Geissele and Radian are variants of their ar15 handles and latches.  A redesign for the MCX for double latches would likely not make financial sense for them. Sig instead started with a clean sheet design for the MCX handle.  It is likely that the single latch will continue to be fine as it has for the previous 50 years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Dumb question - would the new Rattler LT upper work on the current Spear lower? Based upon pics I don't see any real difference. And if so, are they offering them just as uppers?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Whiplash_83:
Dumb question - would the new Rattler LT upper work on the current Spear lower? Based upon pics I don't see any real difference. And if so, are they offering them just as uppers?
View Quote

Do you mean Spear LT? All of the lowers are the same, so yes. Even If you had a Virtus, it would work.

You can look on Sig's website to see if the Rattler LT uppers are being sold separately. They are not currently.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiplash_83] [#47]
Originally Posted By Nintendo64:

Do you mean Spear LT? All of the lowers are the same, so yes. Even If you had a Virtus, it would work.

You can look on Sig's website to see if the Rattler LT uppers are being sold separately. They are not currently.
View Quote

Yes, I meant Spear LT. My bad. I thought that might be the case on them being sold separately, I hadn't seem them anywhere yet. Figured someone here may have the inside track. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I got the Raptor ch, but went back to stock pretty quickly.  I like the use of the dual latches, and also I think the Radian handles are bigger than needed since there is no sort of clearance with the forward assist to take into account on the right side as there is on the standard AR upper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone use a 5.5” 300 rattler with an SLX762c?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I am patiently waiting for the LE 9in 556 pistol in black or FDE.  I just ordered the new silencer central Banish Speed K.  It's  4 inches long and 2 inches wide. Flow through.
Page / 42
MCX: Generation 3/SPEAR LT (Page 40 of 42)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top