Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2016 11:07:32 PM EDT
My home is undergoing a total renovation.  Right now you can see every stud, joist, and rafter in the home.

What kind of wires should I run to provide power and communication to security cameras in the future?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Cat 6. for IP cameras, and PoE for power.

Run extras, and run some to every room.

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]
fiber optic
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cat 6. for IP cameras, and PoE for power.

Run extras, and run some to every room.

IMHO YMMV

View Quote

Cat6 is what you want. PoE is something that runs over Cat6 though, so you just need 1 wire per camera.

However, as stated, run at least 4 to each room. Even if you only terminate 2, you can have 2 more in the jbox for future proofing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Since it is so easy to do now, run a couple of cables to a chubby hole where you can locate a network disk,
which the dvr can copy to live ,in case the closet dvr is damaged or stolen during a break in.
Power to the chubby for a small ups is probably not a bad idea as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Id focus some effort on creating a chase from the attic to the basement or main floor. 10-15 years from now it might be a labor saver. If possible make some runs in conduit so you can replace them if need be.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]

I would suggest running pvc pipe in case you need to change wires it the future
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Id focus some effort on creating a chase from the attic to the basement or main floor. 10-15 years from now it might be a labor saver. If possible make some runs in conduit so you can replace them if need be.
View Quote

This ^ in addition to the conduit/pvc suggestion are valuable. Sure, it will cost money, but it can be a HUGE money saver down the road if any re-wiring needs done.

Cat 5e & Cad 6 are "good" now, but then again, at the rate of technology improvement who knows when things could change and the wires in your home are considered obsolete.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
run flex conduit, decide later when you have a system ready to go.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
run flex conduit, decide later when you have a system ready to go.
View Quote

And label the conduit.

Run a 220 to the garage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might be a draft stop/fire stop code issue.  Check first.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Cat 6
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to say the same thing.  12 years ago when we built our custom home I ran all of the low voltage wiring (11K ft +...I know, overkill! but this is before wifi was really stable so lots of CAT5e for networking, voice, video cams plus audio/video and home automation too) and when first trying to plan out where to run it all, I asked the builder about a chase/pipe between the basement (home run location) and two floors above. He said it would never pass inspection, major fire code violation.  Acts like a chimney in a fire.

So I had to run everything up through wall spaces like the electrical guys had done. Each break in the floor and top plates of the walls had foam installed by the drywall guys once I was done.  You want to go last after the other trades so that you can avoid 110/220 lines and cross them at 90 degree angles where you must.  I used CAT5e and RG6 quad shield, it will support 1Gb speeds and was more forgiving & easy then to work with.  CAT6 was much more expensive then, esp the hardware (punch/patch panels, connectors).  That might have changed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fill it with fire stop, done.

Easy to dig out the fire stop, not easy to traverse two floors with cables.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
1" or larger conduit. It sounds huge but if you end up needing to pull something with a connector on it you will appreciate it.

And if you terminate it in a box get the big ones for bending wires.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
2 cat 6 wires
2 coax wires

In each room, including kitchen, dining, living, mudroom, workshop, etc.

Every single room. Don't skimp. You'll be cursing yourself later.

Run homeruns from a central point easily accessible for your cable/tv/internet provider
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top