Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2011 7:06:01 AM EDT
I saw a post about a lever gun with ivory furniture and it reminded me about some pics that I have.  This is possibly the fanciest lever gun ever made.

The stock and fore end are real ivory.  

It's a Winchester model 1892 saddle ring carbine in 44-40. I wish I knew the rest of the details on this rifle.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]

In before the "no larue mount/ shoulder thing that goes up/ how do i suppress it/ no magpul" crowd.

I wonder how much that rifle cost new. Ivory was never really cheap. Not to mention gold (im assuming its real) inlay
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The two headed eagle suggests it was made for a king, German or Russian maybe? Bet taht gun is worth a pretty penny now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Home much does 44-40 cost???
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Home much does 44-40 cost???

Reminds me of when the modern Duesenberg auto was introduced a few years ago.  Someone asked what the gas mileage was?  The answer was : If you are concerned about the gas mileage, you probably couldn't afford the car anyway.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The fanciest lever rifle I ever saw was a Winchester Model 66 made as I recall for President Grant.
The receiver was made from a solid block of California silver instead of the standard brass.
It was profusely engraved by the top engraver of the time who did work for most of the gun companies.

Another ivory stocked Winchester was made for the president of Mexico.  The stock has developed cracks from age.  It too was heavily engraved by the same engraver with Mexican eagle emblems.

Winchester built an extremely ornate 1894 rifle with the one million serial number.
Marlin did a fine engraved Model 39-A with the 1,000,000 serial number.  It was on the cover of the American Rifleman.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quite the amazing piece of form meets function and just plain interesting all over.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only one who thinks that it would actually look better with some kind of rare wood?

Never liked Ivory, I've seen the real stuff and just not impressed.

Now if they were to work something like jade rock.   That could prove extremely interesting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yet they let it rust.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
This one may give a run for it's money!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top