Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2013 5:07:41 AM EDT
Is it possible to convert a hpc to use glock mags? Would you be able to do that with 3d printing a stock? Or dose it have to be redesigned in the action it's self?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe, maybe, probably not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it possible to convert a hpc to use glock mags? Would you be able to do that with 3d printing a stock? Or dose it have to be redesigned in the action it's self?
View Quote

My vote is just throw it away. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you actually ever shot one?  They work fine.  The new version actually has a scope mount & plastic rails to mount lights.  And you can retrofit an old version w/ the new factory stock.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought just from looking in to getting a Jrc or cx4 it might be more fun and cheaper to mod a hp to use the glock mags. Wouldn't it just need the approach of the round and the space to house the mag?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought just from looking in to getting a Jrc or cx4 it might be more fun and cheaper to mod a hp to use the glock mags. Wouldn't it just need the approach of the round and the space to house the mag?
View Quote

I have owned Hi-Points since they first came out. I also own a CX-4 (Ber. 92 mag version) as well as a JRC and a TNW ASR both of which use Glock magazines.

The Hi-Point is a reliable and OK rifle, for what it cost. No way can you or should you compare it to the JRC or the ASR or the CX-4. They are just not in the same league. There is a reason the HP is only $240 or so while the others cost three times as much. All of these are reliable and accurate but the Hi-Point is not a joy to shoot lots of rounds out of compared to the others.

In theory it would seem you could make about any magazine, within reason, work in any firearm. In practice it often turns out to be far more effort and expense  than its worth. If you could see the inside of the Hi-Point and how it is constructed you would see that it would not be an easy job. Remember too that the Hi-Point was designed around a single stack magazine while the Glock is a double stack.

If you want a carbine that takes Glock magazines, buy one designed that way. Its a lot less trouble and you will get a much better firearm. Yes, I own and shoot Hi-Points, I know what they are like and how they are put together.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just kidding. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess it's just my venture to come up with a Pcc. I want to do some thing great, so I wanted to try to give the hi point and Pcc that I see people ask for and a Pcc that really scratches my dumb itch. I saw hi point as where I could start maybe cut my teeth.

What I want and people:
Cheap
Glock mag usage
Not ugly
Reliable
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently bought a Hi Point, but since I live in California, I can't bring it home for another five days.

There is a lot of merit in what forever4 posted. I'd listen to his advice.

Quoted:

What I want and people:
Cheap
Glock mag usage
Not ugly
Reliable
View Quote

You're going to be batting .500 on your "want" list, 'cause I'd say that the Hi Point will offer reliability and value, however it is not going to accept Glock mags, and it definitely ain't gonna win any beauty contests.

For me, price and reliability won, which is why I decided to go with one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am.  That's why I come to the forum seeking advice. Just looking over and I had the notion that maybe i could put together some thing 3d printed to see if the idea might work before dropping any cash.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, it's a much better idea than modding a Beretta carbine to take Glock mags.  My suggestion, buy the HiPoint 9, take it apart, see what can be done.  The worst case, you end up w/ a reliable, accurate 9mm carbine that the cognoscenti laugh @ until you outshoot them.  The best case, we end up w/ much better stock options than we have now - A, the old HiPoint stock, B, the new HiPoint stock w/ plastic rails, & C, the Beretta lookalike stock.  And no one's ever going to use Glock mags in a HiPoint if someone doesn't try.  You're the guy.

I'm trying to remember from when I swapped from the old to the new factory stock, but I think you'll have to remove some metal from the frame below the bolt to fit the Glock mag in there.  What I don't remember is if you'd have to redo the trigger bow.

Even if you could figure out how to make it take 1911 mags, you'd still be a hero.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Even if you could figure out how to make it take 1911 mags, you'd still be a hero.
View Quote

I'm waiting to get mine home. I have several 1911 mags and I'm curious to see if there are any similarities between the HP and the 1911 mag. I should have paid more attention to it when I looked it over before I bought it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
There are vids on YouTube converting a 45 1911 mag to work in it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Inside the Hi-Point pistol grip, where the mags go, there is part of the metal framework. I would have to take mine apart to show you. The 1911 mags are, as most know, thin and single stack much like the magazine that Hi-Point already uses. Glock magazines are FAT and you would have to do some serious work to the framework of the rifle to make them work. Also, since the HP is made to feed from a narrow mag I don't know if the bottom of the bolt would fit just right using the Glock magazine. Of course you do know the HP bolt is made of Zinc, not steel, so its not a simple matter of doing some machine work on it or welding it up to machine it differently. I suppose you could machine an entirely new bolt...price that little venture at your local machine shop.

The Hi-Point is a very dependable and accurate firearm. Enjoy it for what it is. A friend of mine was the father-in-law of the distributor back in Ohio. (its how I learned about them and how I bought my first one for like $149).  He talked about the guy who designed the rifle and described him as one smart cookie. If you think about it, he was. He figured out how to produce this thing for a low enough price while keeping it very functional. Hard job to do.

Now, if you want pretty.....get out the Gold Card and pay up!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Inside the Hi-Point pistol grip, where the mags go, there is part of the metal framework. I would have to take mine apart to show you. The 1911 mags are, as most know, thin and single stack much like the magazine that Hi-Point already uses. Glock magazines are FAT and you would have to do some serious work to the framework of the rifle to make them work. Also, since the HP is made to feed from a narrow mag I don't know if the bottom of the bolt would fit just right using the Glock magazine. Of course you do know the HP bolt is made of Zinc, not steel, so its not a simple matter of doing some machine work on it or welding it up to machine it differently. I suppose you could machine an entirely new bolt...price that little venture at your local machine shop.

The Hi-Point is a very dependable and accurate firearm. Enjoy it for what it is. A friend of mine was the father-in-law of the distributor back in Ohio. (its how I learned about them and how I bought my first one for like $149).  He talked about the guy who designed the rifle and described him as one smart cookie. If you think about it, he was. He figured out how to produce this thing for a low enough price while keeping it very functional. Hard job to do.

Now, if you want pretty.....get out the Gold Card and pay up!  
View Quote

Glock magazines are double stack, but single feed - unlike our AR magazines, which are double stack, double feed - ie, the bolt feeds from either side of the magazine.  Glock mags only feed from the center, like almost all conventional pistols.

But if he does have to whittle on the bolt - a little bit of time w/ a file & he's done - zinc is much softer than steel.

Your first point, however, is the most difficult for the OP.  He either has to remove enough material for the Glock mags to fit, or he has to engineer a completely new plastic receiver to be 3D printed.

Think of the Hi-Point carbine as a parts kit instead of a gun for a minute.  OP has everything he needs to 3D-print a gun.  He has a barrel, a bolt, a safety, a trigger - now can he arrange those in such a way, & then 3D-print around them that he ends up w/ a carbine that takes Glock mags.  The answer is we don't know, and the most difficult part may be the trigger.

ETA:  OP, you might get further by looking @ STEN parts kits, & seeing if you could 3D print a STEN receiver.  A STEN uses a single feed mag.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
That's fair. The idea looks to be splitting in two. One being a new hpc stock 3d print. And two being how to design a new Pcc to come in close to the same price point.
Nothing is set in stone yet and at the worst right now I spend a few hours on the drafting table.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Isn't the upper just a chunk of pipe cut ? I could see doing a modified lower and working in modern aesthetics.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I was just at the shop and they wanted 409.99 for a 995ts. And nearly dropped on the display case.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well I was just at the shop and they wanted 409.99 for a 995ts. And nearly dropped on the display case.
View Quote

Look here...and these guys ship. They are out of some of them right now but if you put your name in they will email you as soon as they come in. Also, Knob Creek Range has some but not quite as low priced as these.

HPC at good prices
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks but I was in to this when the gun cost was a used 200. And I've been all over looking at what could be done and it seems I'm better off building my own and enlisting the help of old shop class mates. It was a nice thought and did a lot of sketches and at the end of the day doing a m10 or m11 style may be the cheapest with a 3d printed lower.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks but I was in to this when the gun cost was a used 200. And I've been all over looking at what could be done and it seems I'm better off building my own and enlisting the help of old shop class mates. It was a nice thought and did a lot of sketches and at the end of the day doing a m10 or m11 style may be the cheapest with a 3d printed lower.
View Quote

Good luck with your project. Its good to see people willing to put the work into a project like this. We have seen some pretty amazing firearms built by some energetic individuals who had vision and the tenacity to see a project through. I am sure you will do some cool stuff. When you do, please fill us in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Most definitely I will if I can get them in on the project even if it's just to make a modded stengun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top