Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2014 12:44:45 AM EDT
Rumor mill is MI may finally become a SBR state  I'm thinking of picking up an UZI pistol and going SBR eventually.  I'm also planning on eventually adding a can.  It's mostly going to be a range gun, but should still be reliable.  I previously owned a 9mm Vector full size with 16" barrel so I'm familiar with them in general.  Is there any advantage to the Mini other than size?  My Vector was 100% with full power loads but did not like some of the lower powered FMJ's.  I'm wondering how the 9mm models function running subsonic and a can?  I'm thinking the additional back pressure from the can may help with functioning of the subsonics?  Would the Mini be more reliable with lighter weight ammo or subsonics since I'm assuming the bolt is lighter?  Maybe the 45acp model would be a better choice since most ammo would already be subsonic but I don't know much about their reliability and I've heard mags can be hard to find and pricey?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer original IMI made UZI's, they seem to be higher quality than the clones. However Vector makes a good UZI. The Model A UZI has SMG style sights and no extra safety in the bolt. The Model B UZI has more easily adjustable sights and a safety in the bolt. The Mini UZI is smaller and lighter. If you are going to SBR it then I would suggest going with the Mini UZI. The Vector Mini UZI uses a cut down full size UZI receiver and it works well, however the IMI Mini UZI is better and a tad lighter weight. I would stick with 9mm to start, .45acp ammo costs a lot these days and finding mags aren't easy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Mini UZI in 9mm for me, but I would love to own a Vector UZI Model A anytime.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
much easier to sbr a carbine, than trying to put a stock on the pistol.
the barrel nut is all that retains the barrel....15 seconds to replace the the 16" barrel with teh 10.5" barrel.
my full size is 100% with subsonic 147 grain reloads and a gemtech.
the mini however needs them hot. currently only feeding it pretty hot loads in an attempt to get some break in on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
MI is currently still in the process of passing the SBR law.  I'm purchasing the pistol because either way I'm going to add a supressor and if we don't go SBR here I'd rather have the pistol with a can than a carbine with a can way out on the end of the 16" barrel.  I was hoping it would be a simple as bolting a stock on the rear, I thought I could just remove the sling swivel and it would bolt up, is that not right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at pictures online, it appears that you should be able to install a stock on a pistol.  The full-sized guns still have the front latch that the folder engages when folded, and you just remove the sling swivel as you noted.

If you start with a pistol, you can legally add a long barrel and a stock to make it a rifle.  ATF has a letter stating that you can go from pistol to rifle and back, but if it starts as a rifle, it has to remain a rifle.  

I can't comment on the semi-auto.  But I've got a closed-bolt setup for mine, which should run just like a S/A.  On semi, it seems to run okay on subsonic ammo, but it seems to have problems with it in full-auto, with or without a can.  Full-powered 124 gr. ammo seems to work best in the closed-bolt setup.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
All semi only are closed bolt.

I would start with a model B carbine for my SBR. And an actual IMI first then a Vector Arms if I was not able to get an IMI

My .02

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top